Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 48 - The Old Ways

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 48 - The Old Ways

Chapter 48 - The Old Ways
When Itachi grabbed his eye, and the Sharingan in his other de-activated, no one could believe it. The opaque black dome disappeared, and everyone ran for it. Well, not everyone. Most of the Leaf Jonin, and Ekyt’s friends, stayed. Ekyt might have been hurt, but they were all curious about Itachi. He was supposed to be among the best, had a genin just done what had been deemed an impossible task.

“Did he just…” Kakashi lifted his headband, trying to glimpse at Itachi’s eye. “My God…He did it. He used a five elements seal…on the Sharingan in Itachi’s eye.”

“WHAT?!” Naruto’s gaze shifted back to the field. Ekyt’s outstretched hand had ground into Itachi’s eye. The Sharingan had faded in Itachi’s other eye. It was about that point that everyone noticed blood coming from Ekyt’s mouth.

“Oh, My God! Ekyt’s hurt, too! Lady Tsunade!” Sakura leapt down from the bleachers. Naruto followed suit, as did Lee. Everyone else went to help calm down the village, and check for casualties. If the Akatsuki were around, there was a good chance someone was dead.




A mark spread, like a burn, on Ekyt’s left shoulder. It was small, but clearly visible. It matched the five-pronged seal on Itachi’s eye. In the center were three tomoe, similar to that of the Sharingan. It was the mark of the seal. Just like Naruto had the mark on his stomach, Ekyt now had one on his arm, just below his ANBU tattoo. (Both tattoos are only visible in certain situations. Ekyt really isn’t the type to have a tattoo) Itachi disappeared, along with the other two Akatsuki members, but this time, his head was hung in shame. He had dropped his guard and gotten cocky over the years. Now, more than ever, he needed his brother to hate him…

Blood ran down Ekyt’s mask as the flame receded. The crimson highway fell to the ground, soon followed by Ekyt, on one knee. He was tired, and even worse, felt no sense of accomplishment. Only regret for what he had to do. It was unheard of, but Ekyt hoped his enemies were alright. Despite what he had proclaimed earlier, Ekyt would indeed be upset if he had taken lives. The only difference was that he could LIVE with it now, as long as he was defending someone else when he took the life.

Sakura pushed her way to Ekyt, who was already back on his feet. She had spent time with him on missions, and could read the dark look in his eyes. Something had gone wrong. But what? What could have possibly gone wrong? Hadn’t he just been as successful as any Shinobi could be?

Ekyt caught Sakura looking. He had long since stopped looking into actions for hidden signs. She was treating him as a medic treats a patient. That wasn’t his ONLY problem. I’ve just taken away part of a man’s world…no matter WHAT I said…it’s easier in theory than in practice…I never got my fight with my cousin, and now it won’t happen…he and Orochimaru split…guess I win by forfeit or something…and I said that I would tell Sakura how I felt…but look at her. Beautiful, intelligent…she could do so much better than me. But I keep saying that. Is it because I love her enough to let her go…or am I chickening out?

Ekyt looked up again, but couldn’t maintain the gaze. He lowered his head, shaking it, indicating that he needed some time by himself.
“I’ll be right back. I’ve just got to…to sort some things out.” Ekyt said evasively. Kakashi immediately leapt after him.




Kakashi: I know exactly what’s wrong, you know. Well, part of it. You can’t tell her, can you?

Ekyt: No…I just can’t do it to her…It would mean a huge lifestyle change…

Kakashi: Oh please! You two work to hard, I can’t see either of you stopping to date.

Ekyt: Problem 2: what the hell does one do when courting a female?

Kakashi: Well…stop talking like an @$$, for starters…

Ekyt: Yeah, I got that figured out. But I just…feel like I’d be dragging her down with me…

Kakashi: Did you ever think that…maybe she’s in the same boat as you? Maybe she likes you, or feels lonely? She’s smart, you know, she’ll figure it out eventually…

Ekyt: I know. I just don’t want to ruin her life. I can’t run my own. And she could do better than me…

Kakashi: You’re selling yourself short. I’m not sure if you know, but Sakura’s parents never believed in her abilities.

Ekyt: But she’s so powerful!

Kakashi: She wasn’t always. YOU saw the potential in her, but not everyone else did. She was smart, and cute, but not practical. Call me crazy, but you helping her fight Sasuke on her own that day (Years ago, I’ll do a special if anyone is interested!) helped her blossom.

Ekyt: Lady Tsunade did that, not me.

Kakashi: Not entirely true. Tsunade trained her, but how do you think she got the guts up to go and ask Tsunade to teach her?

Ekyt: If you’re suggesting I’m a role model, sensei…I think you’d be mistaken.

Kakashi: There’s just no getting through to you…Well, I’ll make you a deal. Your match with Kimimaro is in a week. IF you’re promoted to chunin…then I WON’T give Sakura the tape I just made of our conversation…

Ekyt: Go ahead…wait, WHAT?!

Kakashi: It’s my job as a sensei to help you grow, and you won’t do that if you keep your light under a bushel. So, she can find out from a an audio recording, or you can tell her.

Ekyt: There’s still our bet. I’ll make chunin!

Kakashi: You’d better be sure. If you lose, I’m going to play the tape for the village…

Ekyt: >< Damn! Fine, Kakashi-sensei, you’ve got a deal.

Kakashi: You’re going to tell her?

Ekyt: No…I’m going to win our bet…

Kakashi: (Shakes head) Well, good luck then. But Sakura WILL find out eventually. I didn’t actually tape our conversation, I’ve got more respect for you than that. I was just hoping the bluff would work.

Ekyt: …I know…I’ve got to be careful. As long as she KNOWS I mean it when I say it…that I really like her…the only reason I haven’t told her is my own lack of courage. And maybe…a vague hope that she WILL do better than me.




Tsunade called Ekyt to her office, later that day. It was dark outside, and it looked as though it would rain soon. The kind of day that made a weary man ache. Ekyt, however, was anything BUT weary at this moment. No matter what he had done earlier, Tsunade’s attention met that something was wrong, something was very good, or something was very important.

“Kid, I’m going to lay my cards on the table. It’s not looking good for you as chunin. It has nothing to do with me, or Ebisu.” Tsunade stood up, hands clasped behind her back as she looked out the window. Somehow, she couldn’t make eye contact with Ekyt.

“I had a feeling…the Village is still angry with me…damn, I should be enjoying myself, and celebrating. How many can say they faced Itachi Uchiha and left their mark? It’s amazing that a coward could do that…” Ekyt said the last part so softly that Tsunade barely heard him. BARELY being the key word.

“You mean Sakura…well, that’s another thing. See, it’s like this. Um, well…” Tsunade was avoiding Ekyt’s eyes at this point.

“Just nod, Lady Tsunade, okay? Another guy?” Ekyt asked. Tsunade nodded slowly, then kept her head down.

“I’m really sorry…about all this…so, I’ll leave it up to you whether you fight or not. You’re not likely to be promoted…and your cousin IS in league with Orochimaru. It would be a pointless fight…”

“The situation with the council is that bad? It really doesn’t matter what I did to Itachi? People get promoted for less than that…” Ekyt clasped his hands behind his back. “Well, then, I suppose there’s only two things left: First, I’ll fight him in a week. If I’m not getting promoted, the council won’t mind if I tackle part of my regular duties while they dog about me behind my back. The second order of business- a group of kids and I have talked with Lord Kazekage, and I’m to take my class to meet him, and see the Sand Village. Temari, Shikamaru, and Lee are escorting us, until we get to a checkpoint. After that, they all have other business. I’m just formally informing you of my intentions for tomorrow’s class. And here’s the scroll for the protection assignments. Standard C-ranked mission.”

Tsunade turned around, her eyes filled with tears. “How can you do this? I’ve just told you things that would destroy your life! The girl you like is taken, you probably won’t be promoted! Has it hit your brain?!”

Ekyt blinked. “It’s a matter of choice, and a little have-to. Besides, I’m a loner. I CHOOSE to be a loner, and I HAVE TO do what needs to be done. Besides, unless these kids turn their backs on me, too, I’ve got no reason to be upset. Everything was my fault. I knew what would happen when I played the part of Hokage, I knew the aftermath. I knew if I didn’t tell Sakura how I felt, someone else would get her. The only person I could beat up is myself. A lot of people’s lives are unfair, what makes mine more unfair than theirs?”

Tsunade looked Ekyt in the eyes. She saw truth in them. “You don’t think you’ve had enough hardship?”

Ekyt gave a mirthless laugh at that. “Better I withstand this hardship, and alone, don’t you think? You know what happens to people when they can’t stand hardship. Orochimaru, for example. He can’t face mortality, so he’s evil. Better someone like me, who can accept mortality, bear the burden. Besides, what would happen if I had children? I would pass on this kekkaigenkai, and all the pain that goes with it. I can’t imagine causing my own flesh and blood such pain. So, maybe it’s for the best…” Ekyt looked at the rapidly-retreated sun, then toward the door.

“I really should finish planning my lesson. But, by all means, please schedule that match. I’ve been meaning to learn more about my cousin, and our family’s heritage. Considering we’re the only surviving two, it’s hardly an opportunity to pass up.”

Tsunade was shocked at Ekyt’s dismissive attitude, but said nothing of it. “Of course, go ahead…” After a crisp bow, Ekyt did just that, exiting through the door, rather than his usual exit of leaping across the rooftops. As he was walking out into the hallway, Linda was walking in. Tsunade got up quickly, to make sure the fight didn’t escalate beyond words. Luckily, Lee was also present.




“Well, guess this time wasn’t yours, huh? What a pity. I outrank you, and I’ve got an apprenticeship with Lady Tsunade. And what about you?” Linda taunted.

“Me? Well, I’ve got some traveling coming up, a fight, some studying, maybe a little drinking…who knows?” Ekyt said calmly.

“Traveling. Oh, you mean the mission I’m doing with my boyfriend, escorting you and those brats to the Sand Village!” Linda exclaimed. Lee suddenly grew fidgety.

“Your name isn’t on my request list…Lady Tsunade, is there a new aspect of the mission that I’m not yet aware of?” Ekyt called to her respectfully.

“It was a request from Lee…” Tsunade said, wincing.

“I see. Well, I revoke my request for protection. I’ll have an outside agency handle it. I don’t need those kids exposed to the atmosphere that comes along with two ex-friends feuding. You understand, of course…” Ekyt said, back military straight.

“What? Let’s not be hasty here! An ‘outside agency’? Another village, you mean?” Tsunade couldn’t believe this!

“Yes. Since the trip is to Sunagakure, I’d assume they would take the mission.”

“Yes, but-” Tsunade sputtered.

“The kids come first. I need to have peace of mind on this trip as well, I need to be free to teach. I asked for certain specifications in my mission request, and they weren’t met. Certainly Temari and Shikamaru won’t mind the cancellation, they’ve got other missions.”

“Alright. Fine, I’ll cancel. But, damn it!” Tsunade was angry. Not at Ekyt, who was making the right move. Mostly at herself and Lee. Lee requested this, KNOWING it would piss Ekyt off, but hoping he could look past it. Tsunade was mad at herself for agreeing to it.

“Certain…standards…some that my girlfriend do not live up to?!” Lee roared. Ekyt didn’t yell back, or even move.

“Yes. The standard was that a group of people I trust accompany myself and 30 students. You know that Linda falls short of that standard in my eyes.” Ekyt’s sheer calmness scared Tsunade. But I can tell…he hasn’t lost his mind, or anything! He’s just…not backing down. It’s back to square one… the stoic, respectful, statue of a genin. He had come so far with his personality, and now it’s been pissed away…

“So you do not believe Linda is worthy of your trust?!” Lee was going ballistic. Ekyt looked him in the eyes, and spoke one, firm word.

“No.”

With that, Lee charged at Ekyt. Ekyt didn’t move as Lee hit him with a solid right hand, sending him sailing down the hallway. When he protruded from the wall he had gone through, Ekyt wiped the blood off his face and the dust off his clothes.

“I owed you that, Lee. Defending your girl’s honor is respectable. After that punch, it becomes self-defense on my part. I only say this out of respect.” Ekyt was up again. Lee, who was stunned momentarily, ran forward. This time, Ekyt faked a low kick, then gave Lee a hard punch to the stomach. As Lee bent over, a roundhouse kick knocked him to the ground. Ekyt straightened his vest and stepped over Lee, who was still sitting down, not because he was defeated, but because he was shocked.

“I’ll keep you informed of our trip, Lady Tsunade. Thank you for your time.”

Before Ekyt could move, Linda threw a kunai at Ekyt’s back. Ekyt stepped to the side and let it whiz by. He plucked it out of the wall and knocked down the next one, then threw the kunai, knocking a third out of the air.

“This can go on all night, Linda. I haven’t insulted you personally, not yet. If you’ll pardon me, I have a class to plan, and a mission to give out.” Ekyt flipped the kunai so that he was holding the grip area out to Tsunade. She took the kunai, then helped Lee up.

“That was not like him!” Lee exclaimed.

“You dipshoot, why did you attack him? He didn’t insult Linda, and you know full well how well they get along! Damn it! ‘Outside Agency’ my @$$! Who’s he going to get to watch his group?!”




Ekyt wrote a short mission scroll, put his personal seal on it, then handed it to Holly.

“For the Kazekage, Holly,” Ekyt said absently.

“Gotcha kid…hey, you alright?” Holly asked as she put the scroll in a leather pouch around her neck.

“Of course. A little sore from the fight, but other than that, just fine. Thank for doing this,” Ekyt responded, making his way toward the stairs. He could feel Holly’s concerned eyes on him the entire time as he climbed up the stairs, to the rooftop garden. There, he sat down, finished his lesson plan, and then got to work on his scroll. As always, it was time to study. Since he had an early morning, Ekyt decided to wait until the Sunagakure messenger bird came. Then he would sleep. Or so he thought. A rustle in his bushes told him he had visitors. Without turning around, as he looked across the rooftops from his home, Ekyt called out:

“Come out. I already know you’re there.”




Naruto came out of the bushes. “Geez, how do you do that?! You’re studying, and totally immersed, but you can pick out someone in the bushes when they hardly make a sound?!”

“Who else did you bring, Naruto?” Ekyt questioned.

“Just Sakura. We wanted to check up on you. Make sure you’re alright, dattebayo.”

Ekyt froze up momentarily, but recovered quickly. It makes sense…I never asked WHO Sakura was with. Naruto would be the logical choice. For all he infuriates her, he still care for her. And she must care for him. Looks like your life is falling into place, Naruto. Good for you.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on April 8, 2008, 7:38:15 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifegreat for Ekyt.... i want you to make that special thingy!!! that would be awesome!

hflp on April 8, 2008, 1:13:20 AM

hflp on
hflpLooks like Ekyt is back to square one.