Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 49 - Fate's Fortune

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 49 - Fate's Fortune

Chapter 49 - Fate's Fortune
NOTE: In this chapter, and chapter 50, I'm going to try using the Japanese names of the Jutsus. Just for a change. Let me know what you think!

-NG

“Hi, Ekyt. You okay? What happened to your eye?!” Sakura asked, noticing a bruise that was too fresh to be from Itachi. Ekyt turned away so Sakura couldn’t see it anymore. He tied his old black headband around his head, covering that eye. The headband’s pressure actually made his eye hurt less, which he was thankful for. Ekyt was tough, but a punch from Lee? He and Lee had sparred, but never fought, not like that.

“I was in a fight with Lee. He thinks I stepped on Linda’s honor. I let him punch me. I owed him that much. Right now, I’m just waiting for Sunagakure’s reply. I asked them to escort myself and my class to the Sand Village.” Ekyt talked differently than before. His answers were crisp, polite, and emotionless. Before, you could hear emotion in his voice, and he would likely have told a joke or something. But now it was all business.

“Huh? Didn’t you say Temari was on that mission? And I remember Bushy Brows saying something, too! You’re getting outside help?! What the hell is wrong with you?!” Naruto shouted.

“I have a reason. Linda was added to the mission roster. I didn’t want her there, so I ‘cut off the cancer’, so to speak. Besides, Sunagakure’s Shinobi are more than competent for a C-ranked mission.”

“You never asked us!” Sakura protested, still a little concerned over Ekyt’s shiner. More over HOW he got the injury than the fact he was injured. Those two were the best of friends, and Ekyt, no matter how much he hates Linda, wouldn’t directly ‘step on her honor’! What’s REALLY happening here? Ekyt…you had actually made progress with trusting people…it’s gone, isn’t it? The trust…

“The two of you don’t need any more missions. Your names came up, but Tsunade-sama said you had three missions that day already,” Ekyt replied. He gave another look out to the sky.
“Excuse me.” Ekyt strode forward after a curt nod into the night, and held out his arm. A hawk bearing the crest of Sunagakure around it’s neck flew onto Ekyt’s arm. The hawk was a sandy color, with fierce, black eyes. One fierce eye looked at Ekyt. That fierce eye closed in pleasure when Ekyt stroked the hawk’s head.

“Thank you, Taleo. Still the fastest, I see. What do you have for me?” Ekyt continued to pet the bird as I held out a leg with a small pouch on it. Ekyt took the note while the bird sat on his shoulder. “Alright, that sounds fine. Here you are, Taleo. Some Ryo for your owners, and a little treat for you. Have a safe trip back.”

Ekyt gave the bird a light toss, just enough to give it momentum. It soared off majestically into the night. Ekyt watched it go silently. Naruto and Sakura exchanged glances behind him. Together, they nodded.

“Ekyt, are you sure you’re alright? I’m not going to try any Shinobi crap; something is different about you. Did something go wrong?” Naruto questioned. He was looking Ekyt up and down, as if he could see Ekyt was hiding something.

“You can tell us, you know. We’re your friends, you can tell us anything!” Sakura added, smiling.

Ekyt closed up his scrolls and looked up. They want the truth…they’ll have to settle for half the truth. Naruto’s life is finally coming together, I don’t want to endanger that by admitting I really care about Sakura. So he shook his head with a small shrug.
“Oh, that. It’s nothing, really. Just the council and I feuding. You would think that saving a stadium full of people would give you the ground for a promotion, but apparently, there are still some deep scars on their end for that whole Hokage thing. Oh well. I made the move, and I’m paying the piper.”

Naruto grabbed Ekyt by the vest. “NOW I know you’re lying. You would never be so calm about this. Unless you’ve gone soft on us? Is that it? Time off and teaching making you weak? Snap out of it! Get your game back, dattebayo!”

Ekyt reached down and removed Naruto’s hand from his vest. “Naruto, it’s like swimming upstream. You might make it, or you’ll die trying. I’m fighting my cousin, and they MIGHT promote me. It’s just not likely. Besides, I’ve been a genin for a while now…and you know, if I can fight fine as a genin, that’s great. If they decide to promote me, I wouldn’t say no.”

Ekyt thought for a moment. “Oh, that’s right! Sakura-sensei, thank you for covering my class in my absence. Please, take this…I told them not to, but the kids chipped in. Stubborn group that will be fine Shinobi some day. Oh, Naruto, they had something for you, too. After that day of pranks you pulled on me (see previous issues), you seem to be a hero to some of them. So, please, take these…”

For Sakura, there was a new herb scale. Her old one was rusted. This one had her name on it, and it was red, to match her clothes. She had wanted one of these for a long time, too!

For Naruto, needless to say, anyone who was a fan of Naruto’s knew their champion’s food of choice: ramen. Fifty coupons, each worth a free bowl at Ichiraku. Naruto was looking at the coupons almost lustily. The drool was what tipped Ekyt off.

“Thanks!” Naruto and Sakura said in unison. Ekyt said a ‘no problem’ to them vaguely as he rooted around in the same summoning scroll. He pulled out a new hitai-ate, this one with black cloth instead of blue. The only other like it in the village belonged to Ibikki Morino.

“Well, I should get ready for class, I guess. Hard to believe it’s almost 6:00 already.” Ekyt muttered. “Can I get you anything before I go? You’re welcome to stay, if you’d like. The basement is kind of dangerous, so you know. I’ve cleaned it up, but still…” Ekyt explained as he walked down the stairs to his kitchen. He looked at his bottle of Akakamodori family brewed sake. He looked at his coffee, which was black and sugarless. Knowing full well that Naruto and Sakura were watching, Ekyt put in a healthy table-spoon of the rice brew into the coffee.

“Okay, that can’t be good. You’re drinking already?” Sakura questioned. “That is WAY too Lady Tsunade-ish. If you start gambling…”

Ekyt shrugged. “I’ve never actually done this before. I was wondering how it would taste. Besides, I’m a little stressed today. Okay, completely stressed. Try taking 30 kids out on a field trip and see how calm you are.” Ekyt thought his concoction tasted like crap, but drank it anyway, feeling himself lose tension. Not to the point where he wasn’t aware, but to the point where he could think clearly.

“Pardon me. I’ve got to run. Feel free to stick around, if you’d like. Help yourself to whatever you’d like.” Ekyt grabbed his black trench coat from across a chair and pulled it on, buttoning it high up on the collar.





As soon as he left, Naruto and Sakura agreed there was something different about him. Wrong, even.

“He’s acting like his old self. Back when all of us were genin, before I went away with the pervy sage. That…”

“Stoicism. And his attitude…maybe we’d better look around the house. Make sure there’s no drugs. We know he drinks sake, but that’s given to him by Tsunade as a prescription. The Akakamadori brand relieves stress and anxiety. ANY sake will, but Tsunade-sama likes that brand, so she uses Ekyt as an excuse to order more for herself…”

“The basement!” Naruto said, snapping his fingers. “If he’s got any secrets, they’re down there, I’m positive!”




Ekyt met his eager students at the academy. “Alright everyone, I want you split off into groups of three. Good. Now, we’re going to Sunagakure, the Hidden Sand village. They’re an ally of ours, and as such, an important part of our history. During the last great ninja war, one you were all alive for. Our Hidden Leaf Village formed a pact with both the Sound Village and the Sand Village. They came to our aid at the time I was serving as Hokage. Our opponents were the Hidden Stone Village, who outnumbered us, the Hidden Mist Village, who have a reputation for creating merciless warriors, and they were both aligned with the Akatsuki, the band of S-ranked criminals that has attacked us time and time again. The help of the Sand Village’s Kazekage enabled us to cut off their strength in numbers, while we and the Sound Village fought off the remaining numbers. Any questions?”

A hand went up in the air. It belonged to a young blond girl, one Ekyt had picked out as smart already. She didn’t have the making of an excellent Shinobi, but she was like a general, planning moves and creating traps.

“Please, sempai, tell us why you were Hokage.”

Ekyt wasn’t sure he wanted to answer that. Thankfully he saw Kankuro coming, and gave the abbreviated answer. “Because it was what was right for the village. Here’s out escort now. Class, this is Kankuro-sensei, a Sand Village Jonin. He’ll be escorting us to the Sand Village.”

But upon closer inspection, Ekyt saw Kankuro was in no shape to travel anywhere. The paint on his face was smeared, and his clothes were torn. Thinking quickly, Ekyt told the class to go get Lady Tsunade. When they had run off, Ekyt tried to talk with Kankuro.

“Kankuro, what happened here?” Ekyt knelt down, using his chakra scalpel to patch up some of the cuts on Kankuro’s torso.

“I got jumped…I’m not sure WHO did it. A lot of people (cough) are upset with me for standing by Gaara. They love HIM, but they think (cough) I’m after his power. I made it here. I should really get checked out, I feel like there’s poison in me. I pulled this (throws senbon down) out of me, but the poison had penetrated already.”

Ekyt nodded. Out of curiosity, he used his “Poison Removal” (Sakura can use the Advanced Poison Removal, they’re two different jutsus) technique. The poison inside Kankuro was strong, and all Ekyt could really do what keep the poison contained until Tsunade came. Thankfully, she was there in a flash, and took over.

“Good job, Ekyt. I sent you kids back to the classroom. They’re going to want a show after all this, so I’ve sent Naruto and Sakura over, along with a few others. Once you get back, it’s your barbeque. Oh, yeah, by the way, Kimimaro will be there. It’s short notice, I know, but he was insistent. Now, you go ahead, I’ll be along with Kankuro. His injuries are minor.”




Sakura and Naruto stared at the basement stairs. Their friend CLEARLY didn’t want them down there.

“Do you think we should?” Sakura asked, a little nervous about the prospect of going against her friend’s wishes.

“Hell, yeah! If he’s doing drugs, they’re down here, and it’s not like he’ll find out, believe it!” Naruto had his hand on the door that led to the aforementioned basement when Sakura spoke up again.

“Wait, Naruto- Release!” Sakura dispelled a genjutsu that was around the door. To her surprise, there were two more. She repeated the word two more times, finally getting rid of the all the genjutsu around the door.

“This is a REALLY bad idea, Naruto. Maybe we should just- NARUTO!”

Before Sakura finished talking, Naruto was bounding down the stairs. After a moment of trepidation, Sakura ran down after him. She wasn’t sure she wanted to know what was down there…

For Ekyt’s safety…We should know…it’s for his own good, after all…

Naruto soon yelled out his disbelief. “WHAT THE- Sakura, look, at this!” Sakura ran down the rest of the stairs. She stared in open-mouthed disbelief. It was like they had stepped into the most pristine training environment possible. Tatomi mats covered most of the floor. The front wall had mirrors on it. The mirrors showed Sakura and Naruto’s reflection as they walked across the mats. In a area (The basement was one big open area, save for a few scattered support beams) off to the side, there was a log three feet thick and ten feet tall. It touched floor and ceiling, and had marks all over it. Sakura took a closer look.

“Blood…it must be his training post…There are weapon marks, too.” Sakura didn’t like the blood all over, but both she and Naruto already knew how Ekyt trained.

Naruto pointed to a rack on one wall. “And here are the weapons! I’ve never seen him use most of these! Sai, tonfa, nunchaku, bo, tri-sectional staff, throwing needles with tassles, archery equipment, kris blades…” Naruto picked up one bo that was away from the others. He sagged under the weight.
“It’s got iron in it’s core!” he exclaimed.

“Naruto, look at this! I’ve never seen so many scrolls…they’re all missions he’s completed!” Sakura was holding up the green and yellow mission scrolls. There was over two hundred spilling out of the cabinet Sakura had opened.

“He’s got training scrolls over here- and look at this wall!” Naruto almost shouted, pointing at a wall that was covered with scroll about chakra control, maximizing power in strikes, and various training exercises.

“I wonder why he didn’t want us down here…I’m going to ask him. There’s nothing wrong with this place, and he’s not hiding anything. Why is it so protected down here?” Naruto was thinking out loud. That’s when Sakura called attention to one spot in particular.

“Look at this…It looks like a…Kuchiyose no Jutsu (Summoning Jutsu) mark…in between two candle holders…I wonder what it’s for? Oh, crap! We’ve got to get to the academy! I forgot! I’ve got a few friends coming today. ONE of us will be able to pick out what’s wrong with Ekyt. And if Kankuro was attacked, you know Ekyt will be going with him to help him get revenge. C’mon!”

The two ran up the stairs at top speed, making sure to close the door as they left. Sakura didn’t know how to replace the genjutsu, so she prayed that no one would try to get downstairs.




When Ekyt walked into the classroom, he saw his students sitting in their places, but he also saw Temari, Tenten, Sakura, Naruto, Shikamaru, Choji, and Sasuke. On the other end, he saw Linda, Kimimaro, and Lee. Upon seeing Ekyt, lee shoved Kimimaro aside. Kimimaro, who had come close to killing Lee once before, didn’t seem bothered.

“Step aside! I will be the one to face him! Ekyt, I do not know what has come over you, but you have forced me to beat it out of you! This is not a sparring match, this is a fight! For my girlfriend’s honor, and for my own.”

Temari, Tenten, Sakura, Naruto, Shikamaru, and Sasuke stood behind Ekyt. Slowly, Kimimaro walked over. He had something in his hand.

“You asked me once about our family’s heritage…That is a discussion for another time. But you can bear the mark of the Kaguya clan. It’s yours to use as you please.” Kimimaro used his index finger to draw two horizontal lines (One on the outside ends of each eye) out of a red mixture. Ekyt guessed that it was what Kimimaro had under his eyes. After a silent thank you, Ekyt looked over to Lee.

“Honor is a word that is used too freely. I never meant to insult Linda’s honor. But you’re going to believe what you want. If you think it’s necessary, go ahead and attack.”

Apparently, Lee DID think it was necessary. He ran forward at full speed, with his game face firmly in place.

“Konoha Whirlwind!”


Sakura here! Lee has lost it! And what’s with Ekyt? It looks like he’s back to his old self again! After all that progress, it’s gone in a matter of minutes! And…the truth about Naruto and I…(giggle)Well, we’ll leave that for Issue 50, and that’s coming up next! Right, Naruto?!

Naruto- Believe it! Issue 50! Ekyt fights bushy brows, and his whole life changes! There’s more to Sakura and I than meets the eye. And don’t forget the council! They’re still discussing Ekyt’s promotion! I NEVER thought I’d be promoted before him! And WHAT IS WITH ALL THE KUNOICHI HERE?!

Lee- I must defend Linda’s honor. Ekyt, I consider you a friend. But I must think of Linda first! If you see fit to snub her, then I will see to it that you come to respect her!

Kimimaro- Another of true Kaguya blood…perhaps there is much Ekyt and I can learn from each other. That paint does more than just give him the LOOK of the Kaguya…

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on April 9, 2008, 1:52:47 PM

hflp on
hflpThe next chapter is really going to be something. I can't wait.