Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 52 - A Trap is Laid...

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 52 - A Trap is Laid...

Chapter 52 - A Trap is Laid...
Whoosh!

“Now, our job is to push through to the hostages. There should be three of them. No telling if they’ll be in any shape to walk…we might have to carry them back…whatever the case, the fight isn’t our job. We’re the distraction. Don’t get caught up in combat.” Or we might have to carry their bodies back…or vice versa. The Akatsuki take Iruka, which draws out Naruto. Genma would draw the attention of Hayate, who would draw Ibikki’s attention. Ayame…damsel in distress. But why? Why purposely involve ANBU? They took Iruka for Naruto, but why Genma? And I’d imagine Ayame was in the wrong place at the wrong time. No matter how you slice it, this feels like a trap. And I’m leading two genin into it…No, two kids…two kids with lives, and hope…and love. Those two bonded. I can’t let what happened to me happen to them.

Ekyt held up a hand, and the he and his students fell to the ground below.
“Put your winter gear on here, it’s going to get cold very quickly up ahead.” Ekyt suited action to words and pulled on his old, black, trench coat. He took a look around the woods, recognizing this as the spot where he had been hit with genjutsu the first time…

The first time he went to the Land of Herbs.

An unconscious shiver struck Ekyt suddenly. The thought of that demented old man, Koori, torturing that little girl. And all his victims, and their sick, grotesque deaths. Ekyt remembered he nearly saw his own. Falling out that castle window by the deceased Koubakage. It was almost a year ago, but the events were as fresh in Ekyt’s mind as if they had happened yesterday. Ekyt, Lee, and Sakura had come here to look into the kidnapping of a little girl. Their battle soon turned supernatural, as an innovator of Kinjutsu (Forbidden jutsus) had been behind everything. The rotting corpses attacking, and the fight with a man long deceased.

“Ekyt-sensei? Where are we going?” Yuuka asked cautiously, seeing her teammate deep in thought.

“In a word? Hell.” Ekyt said quietly. “We’re going to the Land of Herbs. I’ve been there once before, and I’d hoped to never go back. I’ll tell you the stories sometime, but not now. Just remember: Don’t drop your guard, and don’t panic. Okay? That’s what will get you quicker than anything. If you feel the slightest hint of Genjutsu, tell me right away, if you’re able before it takes hold. And, lastly: DO NOT look into Itachi’s eyes. Whatever you do, avoid his eyes. It’s the quickest way to die.”

Yuuka looked worried, to say the least. She was shaking from fear. Okkuu took her hand.
“It’s okay. Look, we’ve got Ekyt-sensei and Sai-sensei. And besides, I won’t let them get you. It’s just more training, right?” Okkuu’s smile was infectious to Yuuka, and she smiled back.




Sai looked on, trying to sort it all out. Bonds…

“Confusing, isn’t it, Sai?” Ekyt asked. A short gust of wind tossed Ekyt’s coat.

“I cannot relate at all. It must be like the bond I felt with my brother…but with a female…Is that right?” Sai didn’t attempt a fake smile.

Ekyt shrugged. “You’re asking the wrong guy. I’ve never had one of those relationships, either. But I DO know that having someone, or even something, makes you that much stronger. When I came to Konoha, I had nobody. And now, I’ve got meaning, friends, and even family in the last place I would have expected.” Ekyt turned away to give the kids their privacy. Young, innocent, uncorrupted. Thank God I stopped reading Makeout Paradise before it was too late. It was like reading a color book…except dirty…three pages was enough, I took the boredom instead.

“Sai, if we get in combat, use this.” Ekyt handed a bottle of what looked like ink to Sai. “It should come in handy.”




They four walked along, when Ekyt stopped. He had stopped near the castle that had nearly become a graveyard for a little girl, and himself, Lee, and Sakura. It was here that Koori had held Kora, the little girl who carried the big secret he needed to know. Even now, Ekyt wasn’t over the feeling of dread and hopelessness. But then he noticed something else, something more familiar, but even less welcome.

“Do you feel that? Chakra…recently used…” Ekyt muttered. Sai shook his head.

“No, it is like a genjutsu. A trap?” Sai wondered aloud. Before anyone could do anything else, Sai was knocked aside, and Ekyt was trapped!


“Soul Prison Jutsu!”
“What?!” Ekyt was surrounded by swirling ghosts. “Damnit!” A vicious kick did nothing to shake the strange, gray structure. But Ekyt felt his chakra sap once he touched the wall of the dead souls surrounding him. Giving up on that, he thought back to the others. Three prisoners, one of whom could walk and run. The other two were unconscious. Ekyt’s two students. There was only one choice.

“Go, run for it! Take them back and send ANBU!” Ekyt shouted. Koori closed his fist a little bit; the prison shrunk. Ekyt had to crouch to fit in it without the souls taking his chakra.

“Fat chance! I’m sending these scumbags back to hell!” Okkuu shouted, running forward. Yukka ran after him. They were running straight into the danger of four Akatsuki and one demented old man. Ekyt tried a genjutsu, but felt it blocked by the souls. Okkuu…Yuuka…you know what it means to be Shinobi…but don’t take that chance over my life! You’re younger, the future of the village! Don’t do this! Ekyt couldn’t even say it out loud. Distracting them was as good as killing them himself.

“YAH!” Okkuu and Yuuka looked at each other, the nodded. They made hand signs, incredibly fast for their ages (both age 13), and created two clone each. Six total, including the real ones.

“Body Flicker Jutsu!” the two said in unison. The clones and the real bodies switched places and sped up. The yellow of Yuuka’s jacket and the gray of Okku’s jumpsuit blended together, creating a mixture of colors that were nearly impossible to keep up with. Then the two kids made their moves.

“Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique!” Koori was forced to release it.
“Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique!” Yuuka shouted it this time. Again, Koori was forced to release it. That was when two tiny fists cracked him in the face. Blood and teeth went flying as Koori flew backward, falling into Kisame.

“You little brats!” the old man thundered. He raised his yellowed, wrinkled hands and tossed his long, black and gold cloak out of the way. “I’m going to teach you not to interfere in my divine work! I will make hell a reality on this earth! Time to die, children! You, girl, you have such pretty green eyes…I think I’ll make them mine. And the boy…your bones are strong, they will create a fine soldier.”

Koori was closing in. Yuuka and Okkuu backed up as he began to weave his hands.
“Forbidden Jutsu: Art of Soul Cannibalism!” Koori shouted. Just as he was making the last sign, the two kids had backed up into Itachi. Remembering what Ekyt said, they avoided his eyes. But he didn’t attack them. He was watching Koori. Despite themselves, Yuuka and Okkuu turned to look, too.

Koori was being held in the air around the neck. Ekyt!

“I won’t have you threaten my team! I gave you the taste of hell once before! NOW I’ll give you something to fear!” Ekyt looked Koori in his weathered old eyes. Koori slammed them shut, shaking with fear.

“Your genjutsu! No, it’s too much!” Koori screamed.

“You flatter me.” Ekyt said flatly. But instead of making hand signs, chakra became visible under on his feet. Ekyt’s first foot slammed Koori in the groin, actually lifting him off the ground with the strike. Ekyt’s second foot smashed him in the face, sending shards of broken glass into Koori’s left eye. Ekyt had just destroyed his life without killing him, or expending any more chakra than jumping from tree to tree required. The next instant, Ekyt had snatched Yuuka and Okkuu away from Itachi Uchiha.

“NOW take the others and go! I’ll hold out with Sai to give you cover!” Ekyt shouted.

Sai nodded to the two kids, who took off running. Iruka carried Genma and Yuuka carried Ayame. Okkuu ran ahead, making sure the path was clear.

“Sai, use that ink, and draw!” Ekyt called over to the artist.
“Okay, Ekyt-kun. Great Beast Painting Jutsu!” (Unsure of the perfect English translation, sorry!)

Ekyt had made a series of handsigns, ending with the tiger hand sign. “Dragon’s Ember Jutsu!”

Sai’s drawing burst into flames; Sai had been drawing with a bottle of toad oil! The now firey lions leapt around the Akatsuki members.




“Good job here! You guys scram! We’ll meet you at the rendezvous point when you bring ANBU!” Kakashi, Sakura, Naruto, Sasuke, and Yamato arrived. They all went to work.

“Wood Prison Jutsu!” Yamato used the jutsu to create vines from the rich soil, trying to snare Deidara.

“Temple of Nirvana Jutsu!” Sakura aimed the sleeping genjutsu at Kisame, who had advanced the closest.

“Multi Shadow Clone Jutsu!” Naruto added. A hundred Naruto’s attacked Sasori.

Sasuke and Itachi looked at each other.

“I finally understand Itachi. I know what I need to do to obtain the Mangekyo Sharingan…and I’m going to do it. It’s been in front of me all along. I needed to kill the person I thought was the biggest threat to me. And that’s you. You had to kill your best friend because he was the most powerful in the clan, except for you! I still don’t know WHY you want me to hate you, but I don’t NEED to know to kill you!”

Itachi looked back at his brother. “You’re wrong. I killed my best friend because I HAD to. He had what I needed. And someday, you might carry that need within you. Then, and only then, will I bother with killing you. Amaterasu.”
The last word was a jutsu, a powerful black-flame that could burn for days. Both the Akatsuki and Team Kakashi had to leap away before the heat singed them.

“Our trap has succeeded. It was only information we were interested in. Every time we meet, Naruto, we learn a little more about you. It’s only a matter of time before you come to us, or we come to you.”



Ekyt and Sai raced to catch up with Okkuu, Yuuka, and the ones they had just rescued. Yuuka had found a spot, camoflagued well. Iruka was up and helping Yuuka heal the injured Genma and Ayame. Genma’s injuries were mostly small cuts, and a massive lack of chakra. Ayame had a broken arm, and she was weak from a genjutsu used on her. Iruka spotted Ekyt returning and walked over, taking him aside.

“You did well, you know. And, congratulations on the promotion. Under other circumstances, there would have been a ceremony, but, well, you know…” Iruka smiled, but looked sad.

“Iruka-sensei? What’s wrong?” Ekyt asked, feeling like it was something he should know.

“Well, you were one of my students Ekyt. Seeing you grow to be such a fine Shinobi…you’ve surpassed me, if not in rank than in skill. It’s what every teacher wants, but at the same time, it makes them feel old, or useless.”

Ekyt could relate. “Iruka-sensei, Okkuu and Yuuka were not forced into this mission, by me or anyone else. They came by choice. And then they rescued me. I see what you mean by satisfaction of teaching. Those two bonded so quickly, and became very good, very fast. They’ll be ready to test in a year’s time, easy. Maybe six monthes.”

A thought struck Iruka suddenly. He smiled widely. “Well, you know, since you’re a chunin, you can’t take the exam again. Guess I’ll have to find a replacement, at least for that exam. Any ideas on who it could be?” Iruka talked to Ekyt as a friend and colleague, rather than a student now.

“Well, it’s the last person you would think, Iruka-sensei. I guess when I pulled a bone out my shoulder, it sobered him up. But, my personal pic would be Naoto Iruune.” Ekyt replied, chuckling at the shock on Iruka’s face.

“Really? Well, you DID say he was like Naruto…” Iruka muttered. “When he’s done, send him over to me. Hope I can ‘tame the beast’.”

“Iruka-sensei, you worked with Naruto, it should be second nature by now!”





The trip back to the village was uneventful, with only Sai’s questioning of Naruto’s manhood to lighten the mood. It was a job well done for Team Iruka and Team Kakashi. Once they got back to the village, things were different. It was intense, to say the least.


“Yes, even Hokage’s get a break!” Tsunade told the select few in her office. “Shizune and myself need a short rest, three weeks tops. And, I need someone in charge while I’m gone. I’ve already made my choice, settle down! The Hokage will also need an aid, but I’ll leave that up to him after I leave. So, here’s your Hokage:”


Ekyt: This again? They couldn’t PAY me to be the Hokage right now, I’m just starting to get respect back. Who is it? Naruto? Sakura? Sakura…I never told her…and the Herb Land was perfect, too. I must be cursed…

Naruto: IS it me? Is it me? is it me?! Or maybe Kakashi-sensei! Then I could be his aid! Oh, come on, pick me!

Iruka: Well, I’ve got to break in a new team member already. All of the ‘problem cases’ seem to grow so fast, don’t they? Well, here’s hoping Ekyt’s call is on the money.


NEXT TIME: THE TEMPORARY HOKAGE, AND HELL IN THE LAND OF HERBS II: A NATION DIVIDED! BEGINS! DON’T MISS IT!

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on April 13, 2008, 2:34:47 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifeNIRVANA!!!!!!!!!!!! srry i lyk nirvana....XD great chappie

hflp on April 13, 2008, 2:16:10 AM

hflp on
hflpAwesome. Can't wait.