Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 53 - The Heiress with the Attitude!

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 53 - The Heiress with the Attitude!

Chapter 53 - The Heiress with the Attitude!
Master Sarutobi walked out onto the platform, his white robes billowing, and his white and red Hokage hat atop his head.

“I hope you all haven’t grown tired of me as your Hokage. But when Tsunade asked me take her place for a little while, I couldn’t refuse an old student.”

The reception to Lord 3rd’s return was tremendous. Even Kakashi and Ekyt, the two most stoic Shinobi you could find, actually cheered. Lady Tsunade and Shizune took the uproar as an opportunity to get away before they were mobbed.

“I’ve also chosen my aid. Someone who was taught the village what it means to show love and respect. We all have our crosses to bear, but perhaps none moreso than my choice: Naruto Uzumaki!”




So the first day passed. On the second day, Ekyt found his way to Lord Hokage’s office.
“Ah this is a familiar site!” The Third exclaimed as Ekyt walked in. When Sarutobi had taken the place of the fourth Hokage, Ekyt had been a frequent visitor. Now, for the first time, Ekyt could walk in as a chunin, and it was partially thanks to the Third that he was.

“It’s good to have you back, Lord Third,” Ekyt said, kneeling before who had become his mentor of sorts.

“Well, it’s good to BE back. Retirement was getting a little boring, even for my old bones! Now, you’re here for a mission…” Lord Hokage’s eyes twinkled; this was just like old times.

“Not quite, sir. Not until after school is out. I’m here for a certain scroll. I’m not sure Lady Tsunade remembered, but I had made a deal with her about borrowing a scroll that’s not…available to everyone.”

Lord Hokage closed his eyes, trying to remember. “She DID mention that you had an interest in a scroll…which one was it, she didn’t say…”

“You might ask your aid, sir. I’m sure HE remembers where he found it, a few years ago. Right, Naruto?”

“Huh? Whaddya mean?” Naruto was confused. Ekyt could feel a sweatdrop growing.

“Mizuki? Iruka-sensei? Multi Shadow Clone Jutsu?” Ekyt asked.

“Nope, not ringin’ a bell, sorry!” Naruto replied.

“The scroll you stole…to create the Ninja Harem?”

“Oh, right! Yeah, I remember. It was some big-deal scroll by the first Hokage or something! I know where that is!” Naruto ran off to find it.

Ekyt let his shoulders slump a little, and his eyes drop to half-lidded.
“I’m wearing a pity vest…I’m ashamed I took it, Lord Hokage. I only got this because they felt sorry for me, getting beaten up by Lee, and then Itachi Uchiha. I’m in Naruto’s position: the village hates me, and they don’t trust me. I’ve got to fight every day just to stay a teacher to the kids. If there was someone else for the job, I’m sure I would be gone. I don’t want this vest, if it’s meaningless.” Ekyt shrugged it off and laid it on the 3rd’s desk.

The Third puffed on his pipe, rich tobacco smoke filling the air. “No one doubts your SKILLS. Tell me: WHY did you fight Itachi Uchiha? Something tells me the blood across your hitai-ate had something to do with it…”

Ekyt recounted what happened, including his promise to Naruto.

“Should I have killed Itachi when I had the chance?” THAT had been weighing on Ekyt’s mind. Obviously, sealing the Sharingan hadn’t been enough to stop Itachi. “I admit, sir, I thought about using…a certain jutsu…” Ekyt was suddenly fidgety. He had only told Kakashi about it, when Kakashi had come to visit him in the hospital.

“Oh? What jutsu was that?” Lord Hokage was interested, to be sure. Slowly, he’s learning a lot of jutsus. He’ll never know as many as Kakashi, but he might rival myself. His research has been endless. The elders actually fear Ekyt, as a threat. But somehow, I would entrust the village to him as soon as Tsunade, or Kakashi. Death has suddenly become a worry for him. He’s been forced into Jonin, maybe even Kage-level combat all too often, and it’s forced him to think fast, and grow up even faster. But over a jutsu? This is a new issue…

Ekyt gulped, and tried to steady his voice. “The Fourth’s, sir. The Reaper Death Seal.”

The Third’s eyes widened in shock. “Someone so young shouldn’t even be ABLE to perform that jutsu! Never mind that you shouldn’t know about it in depth enough! Why would you do that, knowing that your own death would follow?!”

“That’s just it, Lord Hokage. My second chakra. Ever since the Akatsuki extracted it, and I retrieved it, I realized it’s a life-force by itself. It can take on a corporeal form, something more than a clone. It’s like a person within me. Using the Reaper Death Seal would have taken THAT life force away, rather than my soul, if my research is correct. I’m in no rush to die, and I don’t want to outwit death, but Itachi…he just keeps coming back! I thought that by sealing his Sharingan, he would be less of a threat. Instead, it put someone else in danger. The only thing that stopped me was my promise to Sasuke Uchiha. His brother is his to kill. That, and…well, I don’t want to be like Orochimaru, cheating death to get eternal life. I know I’ll face death some day, and I admit it’s a scary prospect, but I thought about the way I was taking around it…I wouldn’t be myself if I let my Emotional Chakra die, would I? Does this sound…insane, sir?”

The Third Hokage’s shock had long worn off. “In my thoughts, I know I could trust you to do what was right by the village. Your thoughts are perfectly sane. You’ve found a way around the Reaper Death Seal’s consequence. If I had that ability, I could have done more than seal Orochimaru’s arms. I don’t have the chakra I once had. If I hadn’t been alone on the roof with him that day, and I had been half my age, I would have stopped him. It’s my fault he’s spiraled out of control. That’s partially why Naruto is my aid right now. If Orochimaru should attack, if I die in the attempt, Naruto could finish him, or at least drive him out of the village. And, then, his dream would be realized. He would be Hokage. But now, before any more happens, I want to ask you again, the same question I asked you as a genin: What are YOUR dreams? Have they changed?”

“No, Sir. But I admit, I’m tempted by MORE than that. I, well, I would like to be legendary, or at least remembered, in addition to be trusted. After spending time with Lady Tsunade and Master Jiraiya, and even serving under Orochimaru, it just feels like you could belong anywhere like that. But mostly, I’d like the respect of the Hidden Leaf Village back. I lost it when I pulled that stunt as the ‘pretend’ Hokage. Even if it saved the village, THEY don’t know that…”

Naruto returned with the scroll. “Here ya go!” he called happily, tossing it to Ekyt. Ekyt had to make a diving catch. Lord Hokage exhaled, and briefly wondered if Naruto was the right decisions.
So far he’s only aided my nerves in fraying…




After school, Ekyt got in some study time at home. The Scroll of Sealing was amazing, and it’s jutsus were complex, deadly, and fascinating, all at once. Ekyt couldn’t learn them all, his chakra was a limitation, but knowing their theories helped him create his own jutsus.
After studying, it was a routine patrol with ANBU for Ekyt. He had to quickly don his gear and rush off after class was dismissed. Ekyt actually enjoyed this. He hated the sleeveless getup he had to wear, but his stoicism was taylor-made for ANBU black ops.





The four ANBU agents arrived at the meeting spot, all on time.
“Anything?” asked the man in the rooster mask.
“Nothing,” said the ‘tiger’.
“Same here,” replied the youngest, wearing a dragon mask.
“My area was clear,” ‘boar’ said.
The rooster agent nodded. “Alright. Reports?”
“I’ll take them Lord Hokage, I have orders to meet with him anyway,” said ‘dragon’.
The others nodded. As if by some silent command, they all leapt off in separate directions.



Whoosh!
Flying through the air, Ekyt Kaguya aimed for another tree branch. He pushed himself off it, hitting his top speed. He knew how to get back to Konoha without really thinking about it. Not such a good thing on a night when his mind was thinking about all his failures. Had he wasted his life? His chance at love?
Tok.
He landed on a branch, staring dismally across the landscape. It was a dark night; few stars lined the sky. A heavy breeze tossed his hair around. But he either didn’t notice or didn’t care at the moment. Instead, he scanned the area for a threat. Nothing sent up any warning flags. So he continued, hitting top speed, into the Hokage’s office. He knelt next to the Third until he was acknowledged.
“Nothing to report,” he said, speaking barley above a whisper. His thoughts had smothered his joy of being with ANBU again.

“Good. Now, I’ve got a new mission for you. This one is…delicate, and requires your genjutsu abilities. As well as a…friendly touch.” Lord Hokage stepped aside to reveal Sakura. But she wasn’t her normal, happy self. Something was clearly wrong. Ekyt, still in his ANBU wear, got down to inspect her.

“Remote genjutsu…the chakra pattern isn’t familiar to me. But it was deep-rooted…” Ekyt looked up, his dragon mask still on. Then he spotted something on Sakura’s skirt. It was a small bit of soil. The strange this was the plant that was growing out of it.
“The soil is extremely fertile…there’s only one place I can think of…Sir, the-”

The Third Hokage nodded. “The Land of Herbs. Sakura was on a routine patrol there, as per our deal with the Koubakage. I must ask you to return once more to this land. The genjutsu is too powerful for anyone but yourself, modesty aside. Kurenai would have been sent, but she’s recovering from an attack by bandits. Ten jonin…she’s lucky to be alive. Now, you’re mission- It’s S-ranked. Take Sakura, and one other with you, and go to the Land of Herbs, and put an end to this genjutsu. Other villages have reported attacks, but none are sure of the source as we are.”

This was the first time Ekyt wanted to refuse a mission. But he knew that it wasn’t an option. And seeing Sakura so shaken up DID influence his choice.

“Oh, and Ekyt…Go as ANBU, but know that this vest will be waiting for you. You are a chunin now, and I can’t have you refusing the rank.”



In the Land of Herbs, the daughter of the First Koubakage’s son looked into her mirror. She slumped down on her futon. The woman was young, early twenties, but she looked sad. Her husband had passed away recently, and she hadn’t let go of the anger and sadness yet. Could you control nothing in this world?

Naikou shifted her position, her loose purple robe falling off her shoulders, nearly exposing her. But there was no one around to care, so she didn’t fix it. Instead, Naikou shifted her long, black hair out of her eyes and off of her slightly upturned nose. She had been, and still was, a beautiful woman, with a pleasant figure and nice features. Her eyes, sky blue, had once been full of life, of love. Now, that was gone. She was empty. No one slept next to her at night, no one helped her tend to her duties. She had no child to nurture. She had only pain.

Pain she was going to share with the world.

Naikou hadn’t told anyone of her pain. How could they understand? Her room was filled with expensive trinkets and baubles that the common could never even dream of. How could someone who had everything be in so much pain? They would never understand. The only universal language was pain itself.

Naikou looked into her mirror. The mirror itself was not ordinary. It had the ability to look across the nations and villages. It’s beautifully crafted, age wood, and expensive glass surface would have been envied by anyone superficial enough to believe themselves a god or goddess. Naikou was more than that; she was a gifted ninja. With this mirror, she was more dangerous. She could strike without leaving the safety of her room in the castle (One of two castles in the Herb Land, the other belonging to the direct heir of the Koubakage title). And strike she did. She struck without reason, or so it seemed. In truth, she HAD a reason:

She wanted others to share her pain. She knew it was wrong, and selfish. But her pain blinded her to that fact. Naikou stood up and rang a gong, summoning her only companion.

A well-dressed older man with a dark glass left eye entered the room and bowed humbly.
“You called, my lady?” he asked in a warm voice.

“Gather some more prisoners, Koori. And my husband’s body, please. There’s not enough blood to go around. I don’t want to have to cut my own arms anymore, too much pain and blood…I’ve already got enough of both, and lost enough of both.” Naikou smiled a little, realizing that what she said made no sense. Koori kindly smiled.

“Of course, my lady. I have a trespasser as well. I think he requires your…delicate personal touch.”

A squirming boy, maybe 12, was being held by Koori.
“I’m sorry, please! I didn’t mean it! I just wanted my ball back! Please, I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

Naikou stood up, despite her revealing appearance.
“Well, aren’t you cute! And who are you?” Naikou asked kindly.

“Please, help me! Please!” the boy begged. Naikou’s smile vanished.

“You didn’t answer my question…Koori, please place him in my adjoining room. I’ll deal with him in a minute.”

The red-haired boy was wide-eyed with terror. His yellow eyes danced around the room, looking for an escape. But he didn’t find an exit. Seconds later, Koori grabbed him roughly by his overalls and practically threw him into the room Naikou had indicated.



“Lord Hokage, I know who I’ll pick as my third member. The class has a break this week, so there’s no need for a substitute teacher…I guess everything’s in order, then.” Ekyt was uncharacteristically shaken up. Sakura was too, now that she was awake and knew she had to go back to the Land of Herbs.

“You’re facing your fear, Ekyt. If I didn’t think you could handle it, I would have terminated this mission. But during your six monthes with me (a few chapters back), I learned that you wanted to become stronger. Well, facing this fear will make you stronger. Just remember what you learned in our time together.” The Third put a hand on Ekyt’s shoulder, prompting him to say it.

“Fear is the undoing of any Shinobi.” Ekyt paused, then nodded once, firmly. “I’ll report every twelve hours.”

“Excellent! Leading your first mission…you remind me of Kakashi, in a way. But, that story is for another time.”




“Look, we need to bury the hatchet.”

“I said ‘No’. You disrespected Linda, and I cannot do it!” Lee shot down Ekyt’s proposal for being the third member. Sakura had shot down Sai as being the third member. Shikamaru said ‘no’. That left Ekyt with one option.

“Listen, Lee, I’m sorry if you feel that way. I never meant to disrespect her. Even if you don’t want me as a friend, consider this as a mission that is for the good of the village. If you don’t like me, can you put that aside and WORK with me?” Ekyt extended his hand.

Lee looked at it for a moment, then took it, in a firm shake. He restrained himself from hugging Ekyt, remembering Ekyt didn’t like that, and that he wasn’t Gai-sensei.

“You are difficult to stay mad at. I will help. I am the best choice, since I have been there as well!” Lee slid next to Ekyt, an arm around his shoulder. “And, of course, you still have feeling for Sakura-chan…perhaps you will reveal them this time. You almost did last time we went to the Land of Herbs. Or, perhaps I will reveal them for you!”

Ekyt glared at Lee. “You do, and the Secondary Lotus won’t save you this time.”


Sakura: Why is it always me getting attacked like that? Well, this time, I’m going to punish whoever it is that’s doing it!

Ekyt: Lord 3rd has returned. I can’t help but wonder, after the Akatsuki’s involvment, if such a shakeup in government will lead to another war. Orochimaru’s vendetta against the 3rd goes deep…as deep as blood…But that’s not my concern right now. Right now, my concern is this mission, and protecting Sakura. Those are my orders…

Lee: Back to the Land of Herbs? Last time, I was injured there! This time, it will be different! We will clean up the Land of Herbs, once and for all! The power of youth runs strong within me!

NEXT TIME: RETURN TO THE LAND OF HERBS! THIS IS WHERE EKYT ALMOST ADMITTED HIS FEELINGS FOR SAKURA. BUT TO ALL THREE OF THEM (LEE, SAKURA, AND EKYT) THIS PLACE IS A LITTLE SLICE OF HELL! CAN THEY OVERCOME THEIR OWN FEARS, AND ALL THE OTHER OBSTACLES, AND END THIS HEIRESS’ REIGN OF TERROR?

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on April 14, 2008, 9:18:42 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifelol good chappie

hflp on April 14, 2008, 3:52:03 AM

hflp on
hflpThis is going to be intense.