Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 57 - The War for Tanzaku Town

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 57 - The War for Tanzaku Town

Chapter 57 - The War for Tanzaku Town
The Third Hokage could tell who the ANBU agent under the mask was, even if Sakura and Lee hadn’t been flanking him.

“We’re here to give out reports, Lord Hokage,” the one in the ANBU gear intoned.

“I’ve already received my report, from Enma. But I DO want the three of you here. I can’t spare the ANBU for this mission, but I need it to be led by an ANBU agent. Ekyt, that’s you. Take Sakura and Naruto, and investigate a possible Sound Village annexation of Tanzaku town. My latest report was from Master Jiraiya, but he was forced to flee before he could finish. Lady Tsunade is with him right now. Investigate the town, assist as needed, and escort Lady Tsunade and Master Jiraiya back to the Leaf Village quickly. If it’s true, and Orochimaru is mobilizing once more, we’ll need them. And Lee, I’ve got something else for you. But, right now, Sakura, take these…”

The third was handing Sakura a set of throwing needles. They mounted on your forearm, and thrown, similar to shuriken.

“Shizune made them, and meant for you to have them, but she was dragged away by Tsunade so quickly she didn’t have a chance to give them to you. And Lee, your sensei, Gai, would like to see you. All I’ll say is ‘congratulations.’” Lord Hokage sat back, pipe between his teeth, seeing two happy faces. He couldn’t see Ekyt’s, but from Enma’s check in, and from knowing Ekyt, he guessed that the boy wasn’t feeling overly good. Fortunately, that was going to change. If anyone needs an ego boost, it’s the Kaguya boy. And, to most people, this wouldn’t mean anything, but to someone who understands history, this is quite the honor.

The Monkey Kind, Enma, was waiting with Sarutobi. The monkey even LOOKED vaguely like Sarutobi, with the white beard, and the same armor for combat. Ekyt, still behind his dragon mask, was shocked, and thankful no one could see that. Enma rolled an old scroll out in front of Ekyt, one decorated with only one other name.

“Listen, boy. Sarutobi and I, we’re both growing old. We’ve both made mistakes. And now, Sarutobi sees himself in you. That’s why this (indicates scroll) is for you to sign. It would give you the ability to summon me anytime you wish. If you’re going to face the sound Village, it wouldn’t hurt to have me. I’ve nearly finished Orochimaru off, and I know Sarutobi would be proud if we helped each accomplish a greater good. It’s your decision, whether you sign or not, or course.”

Ekyt was already putting the finishing touches on his name. Lastly, he pushed his fingertips to the scroll, signing the binding contract between the Monkey King and the Dragon Boy.

“Ekyt, that reminds, since you’ve given up the rank of chunin, I’ve placed you back with Iruka’s team. After this mission, provided you’re in shape to, the class is getting ready for their final exams to determine if they’re genin or not. I’ve asked Hayate to help you proctor that. Iruka will be there as well, to evaluate you as a teacher.”

“Understood, Lord 3rd,” Ekyt said crisply, shedding his ANBU gear, and replacing first his vest, then his kekko gi top with “Kaguya Dragon” written in the back on Kanji.

“Good! Now, there is one additional mission parameter you need to be aware of…”





“Damnit! He WOULD have that much back up!” Tsunade snarled, looking out from behind a building.

“I sent for others, don’t worry. You can trust Sarutobi-sensei to send the right people to help up,” Jiraiya told Tsunade. Both of them were laying low, conserving their chakra. They’d had to hold off Orochimaru’s troops for a while now, and they needed the rest. Sannin or not, there WAS strength in numbers. Tanzaku town didn’t have any Shinobi, but they weren’t submissive to the Sound Village either. Until Orochimaru himself showed up. With Kabuto and Chakaro at his side, he dominated the town. Even then, Jiraiya and Tsunade weren’t horribly overmatched. It was Orochimaru’s next man that out-did them.

Sasuke had returned to the Sound Village. With three giant snakes thrashing around, Jiraiya and Tsunade had to feign their own deaths to stop Tanzaku town from being destroyed. Now, it was nearly an addition to the Sound Village. The mayor of the small town was going to bow down to Orochimaru, and with him, the entire town. They grumbled, but couldn’t do anything else.

“Well, well, I’ve found you! Come out! Striking Shadow Snakes!”

Tsunade and Jiraiya were suddenly snared by the hissing serpents, and pulled into the street, arms trapped at their sides. Orochimaru, Kabuto, Sasuke, and Chakaro were waiting.

“Now I’m REALLY going to kill you!” Orochimaru’s sword, the Kusanagi, was protruding from his mouth. Jiraiya and Tsunade hadn’t recovered their chakra yet, and couldn’t do anything but watch as the blade came closer to them. It’s point gleamed dangerously, and the two wondered if it really WAS the end for them.

CLANG!

Orochimaru’s sword was blocked by a kunai held by Sakura!

“WHAT?!”

“Shadow Clone Jutsu!” Naruto and his clones performed a quick “Uzumaki Barrage.” After that, Sakura and Naruto both stepped back, and performed another jutsu:

“Summoning Jutsu!” they both called, putting their hands to the ground. For Sakura, a giant slug appeared. For Naruto, it was Gamabunta.

Tsunade and Jiraiya smiled; their pupils had done well. But those smiles quickly faded; THIS was all the help Lord Hokage had sent?

Future legends or not…two more people won’t save this town! It won’t even save our lives! What’s Sarutobi-sensei planning? Jiraiya yanked Tsunade out of the way as the two giant summons began to move.





“Seems you’re still outnumbered, three summons to two! Not to mention, four people to two. Oh well. If you’re foolish enough to get in the way, you’ll die.”

“Shut UP, snake vermin! God, you make rat crap look good!” Naruto shouted from atop Gamabunta. But Naruto was focused on Chakaro.
“You! The midget Orochimaru! Try ME on for size!” Naruto taunted, fist out. “Your loser teacher couldn’t defeat a Hokage, and I’M the next one, so you’d better stop me now!”

Sakura looked over at Kabuto. “This is between medics, now! We’ve BOTH been compared to Lady Tsunade at her prime! Only I’ve TRAINED with her! I’m not some scared little girl anymore, either! I’m a kunoichi, and you’d better not drop your guard!”




Ekyt looked down from a rooftop, seeing this. The thoughts of those two becoming legendary made him smile; that was followed by a grimace. I won’t be legendary…but I can be like Lord 3rd, or Kakashi-sensei. Maybe I shouldn’t dwell on those thoughts. They’re my friends, starting now I’m going to be happy for them. But that doesn’t mean I can’t rival them while cheering them on! Quickly, he pierced his thumbs with a kunai as he leapt down. From 100 feet in the air. But it was anything but a suicide leap.

“Dual Summoning Jutsu!” he shouted. Ekyt landed on top of Shuurai, his snake, with Enma next to him. “Transform: Adamantine Yoi!” Ekyt, back to wearing his black vest and headband, and holding the long staff Enma had become, resembled something between the 3rd Hokage and Kakashi, while Naruto resembled Jiraiya, and Sakura resembled Tsunade.

“Guess that leaves Orochimaru for me. Lord Hokage wishes to give his greetings!” Ekyt yelled over. He swung the adamantine staff at Orochimaru. It extended toward him. Orochimaru leapt up and over the strike, but felt his leg snared. A long arm was protruding from the staff.

“I never DID get to thank you for nearly killing one of my closest friends, Orochimaru!” Enma shouted. He yanked Orochimaru back down to his snake. Ekyt pulled the bo back.

“Let’s give ‘em hell! Tanzaku town doesn’t need scum like this running it!” Naruto shouted.

“Hell yeah! Let’s kick @$$!” Sakura added.




“Fools! You think I came alone? Not that I NEED the help, but why exert the energy if I don’t have to?” Orochimaru smirked, like he knew a secret no one else did.

“You talk a great game, lord windbag. I’m going to finish what Lord Hokage began!” Ekyt shouted back. He swung the staff at Orochimaru, who blocked with his sword. Ekyt let go of the staff, and Enma’s legs appeared, holding the staff in place. Ekyt ran the length of the staff, making handsigns. Orochimaru’s eyes widened; he couldn’t get away. Enma’s arm had him held in place.

“It’s time to end this, Orochimaru! Too many lives have been lost! The death of two may prevent the death of thousands! This ends here, with you, me, and one jutsu that you will NEVER perform: Reaper Death Seal!”

But before Ekyt could grab Orochimaru, the jutsu was cancelled. Ekyt was being held back, though he was still struggling to get his hands in the right sign. Orochimaru smirked.

“I TOLD you I wasn’t alone…heheheheh! You remember THIS man, don’t you?” Orochimaru pointed behind Ekyt. Holding the Leaf Genin was Itachi Uchiha.

“Your technique would have been fatal to you as well…had I not promised Orochimaru my services, I would have let you perform it. Even you couldn’t cheat death, no matter how lucky you’ve gotten. And I’m wasting my words on a clone…” Itachi snapped Ekyt’s neck, but all that happened was a shadow dispelled.

“Who said I didn’t believe you, Orochimaru? Someone like you ALWAYS has to have help. You couldn’t cut it on your own. And, really, did you think I would simply charge at you like that? I DO have respect for your abilities, you’re not one of the legendary sannin for nothing.” Ekyt standing back on top of Shuurai, with Enma next to him.

“You little fool! Do you REALLY think you can stand up to BOTH of us. Individually, you’ve gotten lucky against us. But we’re playing for the same team now. How do you think you can win? Both of us have nearly killed you. The two of us together will CERTAINLY kill you.” Orochimaru licked his lips, enjoying the prospect of fear on Ekyt’s face. But none came.

“Someone will take you down. Even if it’s not me. It’s not GETTING to the top that’s hard, Orochimaru, it’s STAYING there. You’ve still got to climb to reach the summit. But, no matter how many times you change bodies, you’ll face your mortality someday. Don’t think I didn’t see it, Orochimaru. The fear in your eyes when you saw me use THAT jutsu. You lived through it once. You won’t be lucky the next time.” Ekyt glanced at Itachi.

“And you…You’ve done everything right, Itachi. It’s a shame you’re wasting such a miraculous gift. Just keep in mind: you COULD have died by my hand. But I made a promise to your little brother that I wouldn’t kill you; SASUKE wants the honor…”

Ekyt used a genjutsu that most genin hadn’t even HEARD of. But the 3rd Hokage had taught it to him, once he saw that Ekyt was going to go after the Akatsuki to get his chakra back (Past issues). The jutsu took a lot of chakra. Ekyt HAD the chakra, but the genjutsu could be broken. That was why Ekyt had spent weeks cultivating the jutsu, calibrating it to his Emotional chakra. When you mixed the two, the genjutsu was nearly unbreakable as long as Ekyt’s stamina and chakra held up.

“Bringer of Darkness Technique!” Ekyt used the genjutsu on Itachi and Orochimaru. Both were caught by surprise. The jutsu, invented by the First Hokage (Though the anime/manga later called it the 2nd Hokage’s jutsu, I maintain their original explanation for it’s creation. –NG), made the target, or targets, see nothing but darkness. It would keep Itachi and Orochimaru at bay long enough for Ekyt to get rid of the help. The plan Sakura had cooked up was almost the opposite of a samurai proverb: ‘Cut off the hands and feet, and the head will suffer.’ (The original reads [paraphrased]: “If the head is unjust, the hands and feet…will suffer.”)





Tsunade and Jiraiya were waiting for Ekyt when he ended his summoning jutsus and landed on the ground.

“You did good kid- but when did you learn to do that?!” Tsunade asked, realizing Ekyt was different now. And, no chunin vest. “Don’t tell me you gave up the rank again!”

“I did, Lady Tsunade. Also, Lord 3rd has taken me on as a student, part-time. I figured that if you had Sakura, and Master Jiraiya had Naruto, why couldn’t I get an instructor of my own. But that’s besides the point. My genjutsu will hold for five minutes. How much damage can we do to the Sound Village in that time? (Ekyt hands Tsunade and Jiraiya ration pills)

“PLENTY!” Jiraiya said heartily. “Summoning Jutsu!” Another giant toad, one a step under Gamabunta. “Bring Down the House!” Jiraiya called. The toad shifted it’s weight so that it crushed some Sound Soldiers under it.

Lady Tsunade caused a crater, then spewed poison gas into the luckless soldiers trapped in it.

Naruto was battling Chakaro, and Sakura was holding her own with Tsunade. Sasuke was fighting an internal battle: he knew his mission. But his brother was blinded. One Chidori, and Sasuke would have avenged his family…the mission, or personal gain? Which should he choose?




It was a full-blown war over Tanzaku town. The townspeople didn’t openly cheer their Leaf Village saviors; they couldn’t. And things looked grim for those saviors. They were outnumbered. Would their skills be enough to throw off Orochimaru’s strength in numbers? More to come!

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on April 19, 2008, 4:39:18 PM

hflp on
hflpHELL YEAH!! Kick some @$$.

musicismylife on April 19, 2008, 4:10:21 PM

musicismylife on
musicismylifeAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!