Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 58 - Our Town! The Mighty Leaf Rallies!

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 58 - Our Town! The Mighty Leaf Rallies!

Chapter 58 - Our Town! The Mighty Leaf Rallies!
Lady Tsunade had chosen Tanzaku town as her getaway spot because of it’s “Vegas” like atmosphere. Gambling and drinks aplenty, such a fancy place that the barmen would have forgotten her tabs by now, and the casinos would have torn up her debts. But everyone knew the “Legendary Loser”, something Tsunade had forgotten. She had just wanted a little rest, with Shizune along for the ride for old time’s sake. Being Hokage was a tiring position, and Tsunade wasn’t the patient type to begin with. She needed her rest. To her, ‘rest’ meant gambling all night, apparently.

Then Jiraiya had shown up, out of breath, and cut all to hell. He warned that Orochimaru was on the way, aiming to add Tanzaku town (a neutral territory) to the Sound Village. Lady Tsunade shifted into Hokage mode. Having Tanzaku town would give Orochimaru resources, and a place even closer to the Hidden Leaf Village, and that could only lead to trouble. Tsunade and Jiraiya had held them off as long as possible, while sending a note to Lord 3rd. Then help had come…





Before Sasuke could decide, Itachi had broken the genjutsu. He could see again, and he had Ekyt in his sights.

Ekyt turned around, hearing the sound of fabric in the wind. He and Itachi landed face to face. With neither making handsigns, they both cast the same genjutsu:

“Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique!”

It was very rare that the same two genjutsu were cast at the exact same instant, and even less likely that Itachi Uchiha would feel it’s effect, or that someone had kept up with his genjutsu. But on such a rare occasion, the genjutsu had a strange effect on both caster and receiver: an unbreakable view of what could have been, if a single instant had been changed. In this case, the instant changed was that Ekyt had performed the Reaper Death Seal on Orochimaru, and Itachi as well. The way things could have been left both the genjutsu specialists gasping for air, their minds in agony from seeing such an awful fate.




(Ekyt/Itachi’s view)
“After reading his scroll, we can ascertain that it WAS true- the Kaguya boy was going to allow himself to die that day.”

The Third Hokage and Tsunade looked down sadly at Ekyt’s white scroll, which contained a side note that had earlier shocked them: His Will. It was dated, too, the morning of his death.

“He knew…but why…why would he do that, knowing he would die?” Tsunade couldn’t understand it. If she had done it, or Master Sarutobi, sure. But for someone so young to use the Reaper Death Seal?

“He had long devised a way to get around the sacrifice…his second chakra, his emotions, took on a corporeal form when he was near death once before. It’s a life force in it’s own right, with a soul. So Ekyt must have taken two people with him, or he would have come back, sacrificing only his Emotional chakra.”

“If he took out Orochimaru…then who…wait, ANBU’s report, they found Ekyt’s corpse next to…Itachi Uchiha’s. Itachi was also bearing the Seal, matching Ekyt’s and Orochimaru’s…Dear God….”

The 3rd puffed on his pipe. “So he finished what I began…I don’t know HOW he learned that Jutsu…Well, we must inform his team, friends, and…the village. His family. That was WHY he did it. To protect the village. That’s why he did everything, all in the name of the Hidden Leaf.”

Tsunade nodded her agreement. “He should have died as a jonin…I can admit that, now.”

The Third simply began to walk, to inform the village of Ekyt’s fate.





(Itachi’s view)
“You little pest! You can’t do this!” Orochimaru was trying to pull away. At 19, with long, sinewy muscle, Ekyt hardly looked as though he could hold Orochimaru in place. But he was, although he DID have help from the death god.

In desperation, Orochimaru yelled out for Itachi. But Itachi was snared as well. A glowing blue older Ekyt was holding Itachi still.

“This ends here, Orochimaru! Our souls will fight eternally in damnation! Perhaps there you’ll finally best me!” Ekyt said, calm as could be. The seal appeared on his body, and he fell to the ground. Orochimaru’s soul held on as long as it could, but the death god gave a mighty tug. Itachi, too, fell. Three corpses, side by side, bearing the mark of a seal. Orochimaru’s soul was sealed, and the threat of Itachi had passed.




(Ekyt’s view)
Ekyt was scared, but forced himself to hold on. The death god had his soul; even if he were to end the jutsu, Ekyt’s life would be forfeit. But this way, Ekyt could take two villains with him. But his last thoughts before his vision went black made him think that there WAS a fate worse than death.

I never told Sakura…I never had a girl, I never achieved jonin rank…But I’ll be remembered…one out of three…It’s for the greater good. Forgive me, Konoha, for leaving you. I hope that my last act has spared you suffering…I’m so sorry I haven’t been a better person.

Then he felt the pull of the death god, and let go of his life, his conscience free of guilt, but his mind laden with burdens; problems he would never solve.




Ekyt and Itachi were both standing in an empty space. Darkness was everywhere, but both could see. They saw each other.

“Two genjutsus colliding…so this is a ‘shared subconscious’…” Ekyt mused, looked around.

Itachi said nothing at first. Then, he spoke slowly, superiorly. “This is a different dimension. This is where Orochimaru sends his victims before he takes over their bodies. We should both escape, before Orochimaru uses that jutsu. He’s planned it for my brother today. If we’re caught in the crossfire, all three of us are done for. But, only one of us can leave…”

Ekyt looked up, not meeting Itachi’s eyes. Ekyt was without his summons, but since Itachi didn’t have one either, that wasn’t a disadvantage. But Itachi was ruthless, while Ekyt still had a beating heart and a useful conscience. But the primal urge to survive kicked in.

“You’re right, Itachi. I also know both our genjutsus would be useless in this ‘void’. It’s a contrast to your style. But I’ve actually always wanted to look in your eyes, and remind you of one thing: You’re human, too. Someday, someone will kill you. I promise you, no one will let you die of a natural cause. It’s time for us to both face our mortality, Itachi.”




Tsunade yanked Ekyt’s body aside, while leaving Itachi’s wear it was. Jiraiya was off, fighting with his toads. Tsunade had been healing the hurt, for now. Then, Ekyt fell just at her feet. She feared the worst, but now saw it was genjutsu.

“Wait…there’s more to it than that…it’s a different genjutsu…gotta think back, to what I learned about that…I know what’s happened here. If I break the ‘connection’ between them, only one of their souls will survive, while the other will be trapped. But which one would I save? Damn, it’s useless…I’ve got to let Itachi and Ekyt fight it out. C’mon kid…for once, I’m in your corner…” Tsunade placed Ekyt’s body safely behind a building, out of the crossfire. It was at that time that Ekyt’s team, Iruka, Okkuu, and Yuuka, all showed up.

“Watch him, but don’t touch him!” Tsunade admonished them. She gave Iruka a slightly longer explanation.

On the ground, Ekyt’s body twitched. Okkuu and Yuuka had seen their sempai in some strange situations- but fighting inside his own mind, or whatever was going on? This was new to them.

Okkuu glanced up and saw that Yuuka’s dark green eyes were brimming with tears. His own black eyes softened.

“Hey, Yuuka, he’ll be fine, okay? Don’t worry. I don’t care WHO he’s fighting. We’ve gotta have faith in him! Remember, he helped us rescue Iruka-sensei. He’s no slouch. He might be a genin, but he’s not like us. Okay? No more crying now, alright? There’s nothing to worry about.” Okkuu kissed Yuuka’s forehead. In her shock, her tears stopped. Slowly, she nodded, then even smiled.

“You’re right Okkuu. Since when did YOU become the mature one in our relationship?” Yuuka asked with a small smirk, though her cheeks and eyes were still marred with tear stains.

Okkuu feigned anger. “When I have to be, I am! I’m still a guy!”

“That means that you’re a perv, not mature!” Yuuka shot back with a giggle, playfully pinching Okkuu’s cheek.

“Ya got me there,” Okkuu admitted sheepishly, scratching the back of his head.




With Orochimaru incapacitated (by Ekyt’s genjutsu, from last ch), Jiraiya and the others focused on eliminating Orochimaru’s help. Mostly chunin, with a few genin and jonin from the Sound Village mixed in, it was child’s play for Jiraiya and the newly-arrived Iruka.

Naruto was still fighting Chakaro, and doing pretty well. But somehow, Chakaro kept avoiding critical strikes, and Naruto was starting to get angry.

Sakura and Kabuto traded medical jutsus. They were evenly matched in terms of chakra use and skill, but Kabuto had an edge with combat experience, while Sakura had an edge in the form of her training with Tsunade.

By now, it was apparent that Sasuke’s cover was blown, and he started to join in the attack. He didn’t see his brother, and thought that the coward had fled. So he took out his frustrations on his former Sound comrades.





Clang! Clang! Clang!

Ekyt slid backward, throwing three shuriken as he crouched, beginning to leap. Itachi let the first whiz by him, while he caught the second star, and threw it, knocking down the third.

“Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu,” Itachi called. Ekyt was in mid flight, so he had to be creative while dodged. He used a clone jutsu, then a replacement jutsu. His clone got scorched into cinders, while Ekyt landed on the ‘ground’ of the void. When he landed, Ekyt felt something strange. He was standing on- water?

Itachi had noticed it, too. “Apparently, the void changes in elements, and responds to our attacks. My fire jutsu triggered this water…interesting element of change. I don’t recall that the last time I was here…”

Ekyt cursed. That’s right! Orochimaru had tried to absorb Itachi. If this is the same dimension, then Itachi can probably predict what’s going to happen! And, how the hell do you escape this place anyway? I’d better hold off on thinking about that until I’ve got Itachi incapacitated.

“Water clone jutsu!” Both Itachi and Ekyt cried out at the same time. Their water clones attacked, quickly canceling each other out. Ekyt took the time to undo his vest, and threw it across the vast nothingness. Itachi ignored the vest, waiting for Ekyt. Ekyt ran forward, making rapid handsigns. They weren’t one Itachi recognized, so he let his Sharingan copy them. Just as Ekyt got within range, he disappeared.

The vest…he used a replacement jutsu. Where did the vest land?

In front of Itachi, Ekyt was crouching. He delivered a hard kick to Itachi’s sternum. Itachi flew apart. Shadow clone- damn! Ekyt cursed to himself. Seconds later, kunai buried itself hilt-deep into Ekyt. POOF!

“Water Encampment Wall!’ Ekyt called. “Fire release: Dragon’s Encampment Wall!” “Dual wall expansion!”

The two walls Ekyt had created began to move outward and expand, forming a two-tiered dome. But they were swallowed up by the blackness. Ekyt swore again; that had taken some good chakra.

“Itachi! Let’s settle this! Stop running!” Ekyt shouted. Itachi…maybe I can pray on his pride. What I need is to hit him with one attack…one special attack I haven’t used in a long time…in my weakened state, it might kill me, too. But it’s better than staying here, waiting for Orochimaru to swallow my soul.

“Dragon’s ember: Flame Revival.” Ekyt put his Striking Serpent blades into the ground. Between them, a flame grew, as big as a bonfire. A bonfire fueled by chakra. It was a signal fire. If Itachi would attack, that would give Ekyt just the opening he needed. In desperation, Ekyt pulled off his shirt, leaving only the mesh chainmail covering his upper body. His dark gray shirt at the ready, Ekyt waited for Itachi to take the bait.

Ekyt waited. And waited. And waited. After a while, he tried to sense Itachi’s chakra. He didn’t sense any. Ekyt cursed himself for not figuring it out sooner. He just left. He escaped once before…now, how do I escape? I’ve really only got one option.

“EMOTIONAL CHAKRA RELEASE!” Ekyt shouted. From every part of his body, his Blue Flame Chakra expanded in every direction. Directly above the exhausted Ekyt, the darkness peeled away. He could see the outside world once more. Focusing his chakra to his feet, Ekyt jumped up and out through the hole.




Itachi was back in his body, the Mangekyo Sharingan doing it’s job and getting him out safely. I’ve come to rely on genjutsu too much, the Kaguya boy was really pushing me. Orochimaru will have to survive on his own, I’m at my limit since I broke out of that dimension. I have to report to the others, anyway. All of our targets have grown. And now that he’s discovered his bloodline, the Kaguya boy even more so. My brother is falling behind. He turned to Orochimaru, someone I bested easily. Unless Sasuke has a strategy, he wasted a lot of time. But the Jinchuuriki…our frontal assaults aren’t working, we need a plan to capture him. He’s grown in strength, but not so much in intelligence. We may be able to trap him yet. If not, we’ll have to proceed with our plan without him…





Ekyt woke up with a start.

“Ekyt-sempai, you’re awake! Are you okay?!” Yuuka began to scan Ekyt for injuries despite her question.

“I’m…fine. Just exhausted. How’s the fight going?” Ekyt asked immediately.

“We’re winning, big time! Orochimaru finally woke up from jutsu you used on him, and he’s trying to escape. But the Leaf keeps pushing! They’re going for the kill!” Okkuuu told Ekyt excitedly.

“The fools, we’re in no position to do that! We can’t just kill Orochimaru like that, it won’t work. Lady Fifth and Lord Jiraiya are fine…it’s Naruto and Sakura that worry me…damnit…” Ekyt was on one knee. “That killed my chakra. I’ve got to let it come back…I have no choice…My mind is at a weak point, I’ve got to relax…I used the Emotional chakra too much…”

Like Kakashi with the Sharingan, Ekyt becomes heavily fatigues if he uses his Emotional chakra too much. In this case, the release technique he used would take a lot of chakra. The emotions exiting Ekyt’s body were painful. Coupling the pain with the natural fatigue, it was clear Ekyt needed a medic. For now, all he and his teammate’s could do was stay out of site.

Three luckless Sound genin had other ideas.

“Well, too pooped to party? Too bad! We’ll just bring the party to you!”

Ekyt looked around. Okkuu and Yuuka were ready to fight. He wasn’t, but he didn’t have much of a choice, and he couldn’t let attention be drawn to them.

“Come on in, then,” Ekyt said quietly. Seconds later, the Sound genin were trapped by four snakes that came from Ekyt’s wrist! Ekyt grabbed one, punched him once, then threw him against the wall. From there, he jammed a needle topped with a sleeping poison on it into the genin’s arm.

Yuuka cut away with her chakra scalpel, while Okkuu used a silent genjutsu to put his opponent out of commission. Ekyt held the three up while Yuuka tied them up with a thick rope. Ekyt added the precaution of tying their fingers together, so that they couldn’t use the Replacement Technique.

“Now, rest, Ekyt-sempai,” Yuuka told Ekyt gently as he sank back down to one knee.

“We got your back!” Okkuu declared.

Ekyt smiled under his mask, and nodded. Could it be that I’ve got the next Naruto and Sakura here? Personality-wise, they’re different, but how fast they’ve grown…Iruka is a good sensei…maybe I will be someday, too…

NEXT ISSUE: KABUTO VS SAKURA, AND NARUTO VS CHAKARO! THE SOUND THREAT IS BEING DISPELLED, BUT WITH THREE POWEFUL THREATS, TWO EXHAUSTED SANNIN, AND ONE SPENT STUDENT, THE FIGHT CAN GO EITHER WAY. WILL TANZAKU TOWN BE LOST TO THE SOUND VILLAGE?

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on April 22, 2008, 6:52:25 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifecurse the cowards!

hflp on April 22, 2008, 1:12:18 AM

hflp on
hflpWhy is the strongest bad guys are always the biggest cowards as well.