Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 59 - Life Amongst Chaos: Holly's Surprise!

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 59 - Life Amongst Chaos: Holly's Surprise!

Chapter 59 - Life Amongst Chaos: Holly's Surprise!
When Chakaro saw Orochimaru retreat, he knew that he and Kabuto had to follow as well. The problem was the Orange-clad Shinobi in his way.

“Hey, you! Orochi-midget! You’ve made life hell for my friend, dattebayo! Now you’re attacking an innocent town? How low can you go?!” Naruto shouted, finger pointed accusingly.

“MUCH lower than this, you orange scum! Now, move!” Chakaro tried to get away, but found himself surrounded by clones.

“Yeah, right! No one tell Naruto Uzumaki what to do! But I don’t mind helping you leave!” Naruto declared, laughing.

“Oh, shut up!” Chakaro reared back and threw a kunai at Naruto. POOF! Shadow clone!”

“Then where-” Chakaro didn’t notice Naruto crouching behind him.

“Konoha’s secret taijutsu: 1000 Years of Death!” Naruto jammed Chakaro in the @$$ with his fingers and sent him sailing out of Tanzaku town, just as Kakashi had sent Naruto flying into the river a couple years ago. To say Chakaro was humiliated would be putting it mildly. Naruto Uzumaki…After I kill my worthless old sensei, I’m coming for YOU. Your little tactic won’t work twice!




Sakura wiped the blood away from her mouth with one hand, the other hand glowing with electric blue energy. Kabuto was scratched up from Sakura’s attacks. It amazed him how evenly matched they were. Both charged. Sakura had a hidden ace, though, one that she had read about. Just as Kabuto got in range, Sakura used her toes to throw gravel in his eyes. When Kabuto instinctively put a hand over his eyes to rub the stone out, Sakura jammed her Chakra Scalpel hard into his stomach, up to her wrist. With a burst of chakra, Sakura sent Kabuto flying into a building, where his back cracked the solid structure.

Kabuto stood up, holding his stomach, clearly in pain. But he smiled.

“You’ve gotten very good, Sakura-chan. Next time, I won’t hold back against you.” Kabuto’s body had begun to heal itself as they spoke.

“Just get out of Tanzaku town, Kabuto, before your babbling makes me lose respect for your abilities,” Sakura said dismissively. Kabuto smirked, as though Sakura had paid him a compliment, and vanished in a cloud of smoke.





Jiraiya and Tsunade found Ekyt and his team, along with their sensei, Iruka, holding three Sound ninja captive.

“Good work. I bet they know some VERY interesting things about the Sound Village. Things they’ll be ALL too willing to tell us…or they get hit with a taste of hell.” Tsunade was imposing enough, but when she made threats, it typically buckled the strongest Shinobi’s knees.




Ekyt went home, for the first time in nearly a week. He immediately checked the house for traps, or genjutsu, or anything else. Only Itachi showed up to help the Sound Village…I’ve got this bad feeling…Oh, shoot!




BOOOOOOM!

The destruction was unreal. Trees, shingles, pieces of wood, all ablaze. Sparks lit the night sky, sending up an ominous, thick black smoke. A giant fire became even larger as it lapped up the wood from the house. Ekyt’s house.



Tsunade and the Third Hokage came running, with water jutsus at the ready.

“Ekyt’s house…Oh no…what if he’s inside…” Tsunade fretted.

“I’m here, and I’m fine. Pardon me for being blunt here, but I’ve got to save one part of my house.”

Tsunade chanced a glance at Ekyt. This is bad…he’s the ‘statue’ again. And worse than before. His house just got blown up, and he’s not even angry. That’s not healthy…No…he IS angry…but he’s controlling it…why? Does he think I’ll punish him?




“Summoning Jutsu!” Ekyt called tonelessly, summoning his Water Dragon, Umisu.

“Umisu, I need a Water Encampment Wall, please.” Ekyt was so polite. With the destruction in front of him, it was eerie. Like the calm before the storm. But Ekyt didn’t notice. He simply created four water clones, and quenched the fire in a certain area. After that, Ekyt leapt in himself, grabbed his scrolls and weapons that were in the now-visible basement, and leapt back out. Seconds later, the structure collapsed. The fire was out, but the building couldn’t be saved.

Ekyt looked at it’s ruins, a small bit of sentiment in his eyes, before he turned on his heel and walked away, the few possessions he had that weren’t destroyed now slung across his back, safely hidden away in ShoBu, his white summoning scroll. No one dared say a word as Ekyt walked through town, past the shops and houses, and to the Village Gate. THERE he was finally challenged.




Jiraiya. Tsunade. Sarutobi. Asuma. Kakashi. Lee. Naruto. Sakura. Sasuke.

“Move aside, please,” Ekyt asked calmly.

“No. We can’t let you leave things like this. If you want to leave, you have to beat two sannin, their apprentices, the Uchiha prodigy, AND two jonin. That’s how it’s going to work. Now, you don’t want to do that, do you?” Tsunade was staying calm, looking Ekyt in the eyes. She could almost see the fire in them.

“No. I don’t want it to work that way. But if it has to, it will. For once, I’m not going to be stopped. I’ve let myself get trampled on, and it’s made me weak. I need to correct that weakness. Perhaps if I explained my intentions, you would be more receptive to the situation at hand.” Ekyt was calm as could be, sizing up his opponents.

“Go ahead, it’s something you need to say, and something we need to hear.” The 3rd Hokage’s wisdom had always aided Ekyt in the past. Perhaps that was why he was willing to explain himself now. But, whatever the reason, Ekyt sat down on Lone Pine Hill with the others and explained.


“I’ve long been dissatisfied. My last ray of hope was destroyed. My inability to advance to the rank of chunin was demolishing. But not attaining the rank wasn’t the problem…it was the village. They’ve made it clear they’ve no room in their hearts and lives for someone like me. I knew this when I took the position of “fake Hokage”, but I did it, hoping my love for the village and it’s people would be enough for them to understand. I’ve lived with the burden, and now the burden’s gotten heavier. Twice now, I could have killed Itachi Uchiha, and Orochimaru, and rid the world of the scum I scrape off my boots. But I didn’t. I couldn’t. I’m no killer, even when THAT is what the Village needed. I’ve always said that I would always be there for Konoha. Now I’ve made myself into a liar. I’m no better than Chakaro, or Linda, Or Kayla. All I’ve done is bring this village trouble. All my studying, my research, it’s done nothing…I’ve done nothing”

Naruto leapt to his feet, but Sakura beat him to it. In a veritable rage, she hauled Ekyt to his feet and held him to the lone pine tree on the hill.

“SAVING MY LIFE WAS NOTHING?! NEARLY DYING FOR PEOPLE YOU BARELY KNOW?! SAVING MASTER JIRAIYA, FENDING OFF THE AKATSUKI, SACRIFICING YOUR LIFE MEANS SO LITTLE TO YOU?! WHAT THE HELL IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE LOVED HERE? CAN’T YOU UNDERSTAND? ALL OF US STOOD UP TO YOU, DOESN’T THAT CLUE YOU IN THAT WE CARE ABOUT YOU?!”

Sakura was holding Ekyt up by brute strength, and the stoic genin actually showed shock. He would have expected this from Naruto. But from Sakura? But Sakura wasn’t done yet.

“GET IT INTO YOUR HEAD! YOU MEAN SOMETHING TO ALL OF US! THE KIDS YOU TEACH, THE SENSEIS YOU LEARN FROM, YOUR TEAM! TRY TO UNDERSTAND THIS: IF YOU LEAVE, WE, AS A VILLAGE, HAVE FAILED TO PROTECT ONE OF OUR OWN! AND I WON’T LET THAT HAPPEN! SO HELP ME, IF I HAVE TO CUT EVERY LIMB, EVERY TENDON, WITH MY CHAKRA SCALPEL TO SAVE YOU FROM YOURSELF, THEN I WILL DO IT, WITHOUT HESITATION!”

Sakura’s hand glowed with energy. As if daring Ekyt to try, she held it up to his neck. Ekyt closed his eyes, and breathed out.

“It meant a lot to hear that, Sakura. I don’t doubt your sincerity. But, do you honestly believe it? It sounds like just what I needed to hear. Is it a kunoichi speaking to me, or Sakura?” Ekyt’s voice never wavered, despite being held off the ground. Sakura smiled at him and let him down slowly, dusting his back off.

“Listen, if I was talking to you as a kunoichi, I would have you drunk or drugged by now, and I would have your, ahem, complete and undivided attention in a darkened room. Get what I’m saying?” Sakura ruffled Ekyt’s hitai-ate, giggling at how quickly his fate went from white to red.

“Well, my pants appear to be on, so I’m assuming that means you’re talking as a friend?” Ekyt managed. Managed to sound like an idiot.

“UGH! Get a room, you two! Geez!” Naruto whined.

Sakura grinned wickedly at Ekyt. “W-ell, the night IS still young, Ekyt-kun. There’s still time for me to be a kunoichi…don’t lie, now, you bad boy, you always wanted this!”

Ekyt gulped hard. She’s not too far off the mark, actually. But I can’t drag her into this mess that I call my life, not like that. But, the more I see her, the harder it gets to tell myself no. But, it’s for the better. She can’t know how I feel…not yet. Damn it, I wish I knew how SHE felt. Right now, she’s just ticking Naruto off. But how does she feel about me?

Ekyt pushed away from the tree, then shimmied up it, standing on top.


“It’s my fault this escalated like this…Tanzaku town, too. The ten who died could have been prevented, if I had just done my job…” Ekyt realized he had just pinpointed the problem. Satisfied for the moment, he leapt down from the tree. There, he found everyone clustered around something. Curious, Ekyt walked over. His eyes widened at the shock.

“W-what? That can’t be!” Ekyt shook his head, disbelieving.

“Well, she IS a girl, Ekyt. And, well, it’s too late, they’re here now.” Sakura told Ekyt, smiling happily. “Looks like you’re a…grand-owner? Huh. That doesn’t sound right. Just ‘owner, I guess. Here, hold one! It’s a girl!” Sakura held a puppy, one that looked like a miniature version of Holly, into Ekyt’s gloved hands. The puppy cocked it’s head, whimpered sympathetically, panted, then licked Ekyt’s cheek. Ekyt absently stroked, disbelieving.

“What’s not right is that my dog is pregnant! Who the hell got her pregnant?!” Ekyt demanded, not believing this.

“Uh, well, funny story about that…” Kakashi muttered “…Apparently, she and Pakkun have been, well, seeing a lot of each other. And I guess they manifested their love in a physical way. I swear, they must think they’re human…”

“Don’t insult me, Kakashi,” Pakkun drawled. “I KNOW I’m a dog, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Ah, there’s my sweet little puppy. And her…oh. Did I do this?” Pakkun asked, a sweatdrop all his own on his face.

Sweatdrops all around. “YOU DIDN’T KNOW?!” came the collective shout.

“Well, Holly and I, well, you know…How many little puppies do we have here. One…two…three…four…five…six? Wow.”

Holly, who was laying on her side, smiled up at Pakkun. “Well, it was fun, Pakkun. I DO hope you plan on taking responsibility…or I’ll sic my owner on you.”

Ekyt was still standing in a state of shock. Even my dog finds that special pers- dog. I’m such a loser…

Just then, the new-born puppy had an accident, right on Ekyt’s vest. Of course.




“So, can you and your sister help me out, Kiba? I want these dogs trained properly for ninja work. It’s really Holly’s choice where they wind up after that, but I’m hoping she’ll agree that they’ll go to good homes. You know, ‘A boy and his dog’ type thing.”

Kiba grinned wolfishly. “Geez, your dog gets ‘attention’ sooner than you, huh?”

“Where’s YOUR girl, wiseass?” Ekyt shot back. Kiba chuckled at the joke.

“Okay, we’re even there. Oh well. Yeah, we’ll help! My sis and I NEVER turn away a dog in need!”

“Thanks Kiba. Then I leave Holly in your care until her puppies are good to go. Pardon me, I’ve got to…go.”




On his way to meet Tsunade and Lord 3rd at the memorial stone, Ekyt thought about his house. WHO had destroyed it, WHY had they done it, and HOW did they pick the precise moment Ekyt returned home to do it. Ekyt had thought about it, and he hadn’t seen anyone in the house. To be fair, he’d only had two seconds to get himself out before the house detonated. Later…I’ve got to handle whatever this is first.

Ekyt found a group of people waiting for him. Neji Hyuuga, Naruto Uzumaki, Shikamaru Nara, along with their respective instructors. Master Sarutobi was waiting for Ekyt.

“Ekyt, Neji and Shikamaru, two of our sharpest minds, are going to be searching the remains of your house for foul-play. More accurately, who it was that set the foul play in action. In the mean time, the Nara family have agreed to sell you a good deal of land near their property. (Walks forward) Kid, it’s time to pick up the pieces. Whatever you’re thinking, you’re life isn’t over. It’s just beginning. And in good time, I’ll let you hunt down the bastards that did this. But, for now, behave yourself, okay?”

Ekyt had to nod. Too much had happened today, and his brain was too numb to process it. But his ‘fun’ wasn’t over yet.

“I can see it in your eyes…my Byakugan doesn’t miss anything…you’re bottling up your emotions in an unhealthy manner. I would suggest taking time off tomorrow, and doing nothing but what you enjoy. Or, perhaps, add to that scroll of yours.”

Master Sarutobi had the solution. “That scroll contains jutsu that some in the Leaf have never heard of. Perhaps allowing me to put a protective seal on it would be for the best. That, and maybe we could add a new jutsu,” Sarutobi smiled, knowing that Ekyt wouldn’t turn him down.

“I like that. There’s not much to cover at the academy tomorrow. Master Sarutobi, would you mind dropping by? I’ve got something special in mind for the kids, before their graduation exams.”




NEXT ISSUE: EKYT SPARS WITH A FELLOW LEAF NINJA, AND HIMSELF! SAKURA’S OUTBURST HAS GOTTEN HIM THINKING EVEN MORE ABOUT THE LIFE HE COULD HAVE, IF HE COULD CHANGE THINGS AROUND. AND, WHO’S BEHIND THE DESTRUCTION OF EKYT’S HOUSE? FIND OUT NEXT TIME!

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on April 23, 2008, 2:26:55 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Very nice mate. Lol. Why do I have the feeling that the dogs events were based off of someones I know? Lol. Anyway. Not to mention I see my comment word for word almost from Neji. Lol. Great work as usual mate. I'm interested to see what happens with the pups and who blew up the house. Anyway. You've made me think. I think I'm going to add a canine division to my clan. After all I do fight like Kiba. Lol. I need a canine partner. Lol.

hflp on April 23, 2008, 1:24:52 PM

hflp on
hflpWELL THAT WAS UNEXPECTED!!! But would it be the end of the world for ONE thing to go right in Ekyt's life.