Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 61 - A Seed of Hope is Planted

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 61 - A Seed of Hope is Planted

Chapter 61 - A Seed of Hope is Planted
That night was a long one for Ekyt. He had made his place next to the Nara clan to his liking, but still had a hard time sleeping. I gave up my pride to save that kid…it was worth it. But why do I feel so…worthless? I protected the kids, I should be satisfied…This never happened when Iruka-sensei was teaching. Maybe it’s just stress…my house DID get destroyed after all…whatever the case, I need to sleep. My tenketsu need to heal themselves. No studying tonight. A sip of sake, and I’m going to let this rest for the night…

The sound of the quiet deer nearby, the sounds of the night time, and Mrs. Nara’s excellent cooking soon helped Ekyt drift off into the land of dreams. It’s said that dream are a mirror to the owner’s soul, a world all it’s own, created by desire and rage. In this dream, Ekyt was a jonin and had Sakura as a girlfriend. Even in the dream, the unlikely hood made Ekyt unable to enjoy this journey. Sakura had soon melted away. One by one, every kunoichi Ekyt had liked turned their backs on him. All leaving Neji. Just as Neji used a palm strike, Ekyt woke with a start.

Dreams…a window to the soul, the subconscious’ greatest desires…all unlocked in a realm created by the owner of the desires. If only that world were real. It’s a lot more lucrative than THIS world. Oh well, one must keep moving forward, even when going backwards seems the better prospect. Up and at ‘em Ekyt, you’ve probably got disciplinary action today.





Ekyt walked to the Hokage’s office, trying to mask his injuries. Something told him that ratting out Neji was wrong. Damn my conscience… he thought viciously.


“I heard you had an interesting day yesterday…Shizune, give him a quick checkup while I talk to him.” Tsunade was straight to the point this morning, and cheerful. That was almost unnerving to Ekyt, as Tsunade was usually as welcoming as Orochimaru first thing in the morning.

Shizune went to work on Ekyt, worried as usual. What she found was mildly disturbing. The CAUSE was incredibly disturbing. He’s not reckless…but he’s still the most often-injured. And he resists care. This, though, really worries me. His tenketsu were nothing short of brutalized, it’s amazing they healed themselves at all. I guess there’s not question of WHO attacked…the WHY is the question…


“Sarutobi-sensei and Iruka were up here this morning, telling me that you were defending your class from an attacker. They didn’t say who, only that you proved you were the right choice to instruct them. Coming from those two, that is praise worth taking into consideration. So, I’d like to say, job well done! Now, who was it that attacked?” Tsunade had a feeling Ekyt wouldn’t rat out his attacker. By the look on Shizune’s face, Tsunade knew that Shizune knew who did it. So even if Ekyt took the proverbial ‘high road’, Tsunade would know.

“I…I’d rather not say, Lady Tsunade. I don’t want to rat my attacker out…” Ekyt said, squirming as Shizune gently touched his back, checking the damage there.

Tsunade nodded. “I understand. I just want you to know that what you did was 100 percent the right thing. That…and I’ve already been told who conducted the attack. Your students came to me in tears last night, thinking that their teacher was going to die. They told me the whole story. And I want you to know, disciplinary action was taken. Or, it will be. I’m giving you the change to fight Neji. If you win, he’s demoted to chunin, and you’re promoted to chunin.”

“I couldn’t, Lady Fifth. I want the village to believe in me,” Ekyt protested. “Ow! What the hell?!” Ekyt muttered.

“Sorry, it’s a booster shot you’re due for. You squirmed out of it once before. I had to give it to you while you weren’t looking, or you would have wormed out of it again.” Shizune was holding the empty syringe up as proof, wearing a smile.

“Funny thing about the village…word got out about your fight with Neji, defending those kids…Ekyt, they’re ready to forgive you. But you HAVE to fight, and win. All the parents pestered me for discipline for Neji, and commendation for you. This is the one sure-fire way to settle the two of you down. And you and I both know you want that chunin vest. I’m tired of this black (custom-made when he gave up the rank) vest hanging in my office. It should be on you.”

Ekyt ignored the comment; there was a more important one on his mind. “Naoto, how is he? If that bastard hurt him seriously…” Ekyt clenched a fist, angered by his inability to protect Naoto. Another one who shows promise…he’s just starting to settle down and listen up in class…

“Naoto is fine. Just a couple tenketsu closed. He was one of the first to come here. True to form, and just as pig-headed as his instructor, he refused treatment until he had heard my decision on Neji. Now, this is your change. Are you going to take it?” Tsunade was frank, because she knew that Ekyt didn’t need the pressure of compliments right now.

Ekyt thought back to yesterday, and the day before. How horrible his life had become. But if he had the people in his corner again…his life could turn around. Those who haven’t forgiven me yet never will…it’s foolish to think I’ll win EVERYONE over, no matter what. What matters are the people that never left my side…how did I not notice that? I’ve been blinded by my own rage, that’s why. Well, it’s time to give that up, and teach that smug jackass a lesson.

“I’ll do it, Lady Tsunade. When and where?”

Tsunade rocked back in her chair, arms behind her head. “At the stadium, in one hour. I figured you’d say ‘yes’, so I’ve got my match proctor and your opponent informed. This one…is yours. For once, you’ve got everyone in your corner. Consider this a B-ranked mission: I want that arrogant bastard taken down!”

Ekyt nodded, a look of determination in his eyes for the first time in a long time.

“I’ll be ready and waiting. I’ve only got one thing to do first…”




Naoto had once confided to Ekyt that he missed his friends. Being a loner, Ekyt understood that. Okkuu and Yuuka were Naoto’s friends, and Iruka was Naoto’s only supporter. Naoto’s clan was hard on him, which is what made him so difficult to teach. But, somehow, his life had turned around. Right now, however, he felt pretty low, being taken down like that. Even if it WAS a genius jonin that had done it.

In a puff of smoke, Ekyt landed next to Naoto, who had been sitting in the academy.

“Ekyt-sempai! You’re alright!” Naoto exclaimed. He tried to get up, but it hurt a lot. Ekyt shook his head.

“You don’t have to get up. And, I’m fine. How are you?”

Naoto looked away. “I’m hurting…my body, but my mind, too. ONE attack took me down, what kind of ninja will I be?”

Ekyt HAD to smirk. “You sound like me. You’ll be a fine ninja, Naoto. You’ve improved so much, you only narrowly missed taking the exams this time around. But, listen, I’m going to be fighting Neji. I wanted to make sure you were okay. That doesn’t mean I’ll take it easy on him, though.”

Naoto smiled, the first time Ekyt had seen him really do so. The boy was a pain, but he had a good heart. He just needed direction, and now he found it.

“How did you get up yesterday? Lady Tsunade said that all your tenketsu were closed, and that you could have died. How did you fight after that?” Naoto wanted to know.

“I HAD to get up. When I give my word, I want it to be truthful. I want it to mean something. If I let my students get hurt, I’d be a lousy teacher. So I didn’t have a choice. I HAD to get up. I would have gotten up a hundred times.”

Naoto couldn’t understand that. He had never had to protect something like that. But he got the feeling it was something he would understand someday.

“So what are you doing here, of all places? It used to be I had to CHASE you into class, now you’re sitting here on your own time?”

“I wanted to go to the stadium, but it hurts too much, so I stayed here. My parents won’t do anything about it, they’re too busy fighting. They’re always so busy fighting about me, they forget I exist. It’s like they care too much, AND not enough. I hate it!”

Ekyt didn’t say much. Instead, he ducked down. “Climb up on my shoulders. The least I can do is get you to the stadium. By the way, anything special you want me to do to Neji?” Ekyt asked, as his stunned student clambered up onto his shoulders.

“Nope, just beat his sorry @$$!” Naoto declared.

Ekyt couldn’t help but smile once more. “Will do. Hang on. You’ve never done a body-flicker jutsu before, have you? Don’t get freaked out…”

“YAH!” Came Naoto’s cry as Ekyt hit top speed within a second, blasting to the entrance of the stadium.




The last time Ekyt had entered the stadium, he had been hated. This time, it was the opposite. Well, sort of. Anyone with kids in his class cheered with a loud roar, sitting with Naruto, Sakura, and the others. The rest stared indifferently, not particularly LIKING either combatant, just looking forward to a good fight. One that this promised to be. Graduating within two years of each other, Ekyt and Neji were the two top genin at one point. Ekyt was STILL the top genin, while Neji was a mid-level jonin. Ekyt’s specialty was technically genjutsu, but he could work with almost anything. Neji’s specialty was hand to hand combat. Ekyt was average height and slender; Neji was tall and more muscular. No one had a clear-cut advantage. Ekyt had two, less-established kekkaigenkai’s, while Neji had one, powerful, proven kekkaigenkai. The only major distinction was rank. That was also what was on the line.

The proctor was Hayate Gekko, who nodded to Ekyt when he walked in. On the other side of the field, Neji was waiting.



“So, you came. You heal fast, I’ll give you that much. And you carried your little rodent of a student into the stadium, like the Olympic Torch. How special. When this fight ends, you will understand that you will not defeat me, and that you’d better get used to life as a genin, and-”

“Shut up. You know, you’re great with long-winded lectures that go nowhere. You’re a self-serving prick, and irritating jackass that was lucky enough to be given a kekkaigenkai that makes people fear you. If you think that I’m afraid of you, that your usual scare tactics are going to work with me, they’re not. Do you remember when Naruto defeated you? At the chunin exams? I’m just as much of an underdog as Naruto was. Naruto already proved that your ‘destiny’ theory is wrong. I’m going to add to that theory and prove that you’re not the threat you think you are. You’ve let the years make you bitter, Neji. But today- today is going to make you ache. Physical pain, AND mental pain. Because you’ll understand that you’re not as great as you’ve always told everyone. You’re just a product of the “Big Lie” theory. You tell outrageous stories of your power, and we all believe it and shake with fear. That might have worked before, but it won’t work on me. I’ve stared scarier people than you in the eyes and not backed down. So, I’m telling you now: I think you’re full of crap, and I’m going to beat it out of you until you respect my students, and until you realize that attacking them was a mistake.” Ekyt stopped for a moment, straightening his headband and vest.

“Well, enough of that. Did you like my speech? That’s what YOU sound like, droning on and on about destiny. Enough talk- let’s settle this the way Lady Fifth dictated.”

“Hmph. Your funeral…perhaps literally,” Neji replied, activating his Byakugan and taking up his stance.




Just as Tsunade was leaving, Kakashi appeared in her office in his usual manner.

“You’re late, Kakashi. Not that I’m surprised,” Tsunade added. “I’m just on my way to the stadium for the fight.”

“Sorry, Lady Tsunade. What I found might interest you, though…”

(ONE EXPLANATION LATER)

“So, the Akatsuki and Orochimaru are in league…that means that the attack on Tanzaku town wasn’t a coincidence meeting with Itachi and Orochimaru…it also means big trouble. And, that this new group they’ve formed is subcontracting…” Tsunade didn’t like the sound of this at all.

“It gets more interesting. They believe Ekyt is dead. I’ve been thinking…after his fight, we can use that to our advantage, with a little work. But he needs to be with my group for this plan to work. And, he’ll need a special elixir from you…”

“We’ll discuss it later. For now, that fight is about to get going. Let’s go!”




Ekyt ran straight towards Neji. Everyone knew that was a suicide move.

“Rotation!” Neji spun rapidly, releasing a cocoon of chakra that hit Ekyt squarely. POOF! Shadow clone. Just as Neji stopped rotating, he sensed movement. He shifted his weight and struck, this time hitting a log.

“OOF!” Neji reeled as he was punched in the face. As he turned to retaliate, he saw Ekyt was gone.

“Hope my clone kept you entertained…you had insulted my clan, the Kaguya. I think you need a demonstration of THAT blood.” Ekyt had painted the red lines on the sides of his eyes, using the mixture Kimimaro had given him. Ekyt felt his thought process and chakra change. He was more aggressive now.

“Now let’s see what you think of my clan!” Ekyt ran forward, this time toting a bone from his shoulder. Neji parried his first strike with the bone, then aimed a plam strike at Ekyt’s chest. Ekyt stepped to the side and tried to bring the pommel of the bone down across Neji’s hand. Neji retracted his hand quickly, narrowly avoiding the strike. He aimed another palm strike at Ekyt’s face. That was a ‘pacifier’ meant to distract Ekyt from the TRUE strike, a palm to the stomach. Ekyt used a crescent kick to knock both strikes aside, then slashed his foot down. Neji backed up, with another near miss. Ekyt followed him with a shuffle-step and struck with the bone at chest-height. Neji ducked that strike and came in with another palm. This one hit Ekyt’s chest, closing one tenketsu. But Ekyt’s kick, which he had thrown immediately after the bone strike, hit Neji on the pressure point on the inside of his calves. The first blows had been struck simultaneously.

The fight was just beginning, but it was already becoming a classic. The two combatants shared one thought as they continued to block, dodge, perry, and strike:

He’s good…


NEXT ISSUE: THE FIGHT CONTINUES! KAGUYA VS HYUUGA! NAOTO AND EKYT’S TEAM CHEER HIM ON, WHILE KAKASHI OUTLINES HIS IDEA TO TSUNADE! DON’T MISS IT!

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on April 26, 2008, 9:32:17 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylife*continues stabbing Neji* great work! now back to work...

*stabs neji continuously* XP