Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 63 - Side Trip To Sunagakure (Part 1)

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 63 - Side Trip To Sunagakure (Part 1)

Chapter 63 - Side Trip To Sunagakure (Part 1)
“Pakkun…thank you for helping give my life meaning.” Holly was still recovering from having six puppies. The little ones were crawling around now, panting and playing, though their eyes were still closed. Only one had opened it’s eyes, and it was early. This one had Holly’s fur and face, but Pakkun’s ears. It was the one that Ekyt had held, in his darkest hour. Holly liked to think that this little bundle of joy had helped make her owner’s life a little brighter. Then the little puppy had pissed on his vest, and while that incredibly funny in and of itself, the timing couldn’t have been worse.

“It was no problem, Hol’. I seem to recall enjoying myself, too. Great looking bunch o’ pups, aren’t they?” One puppy had wandered into Pakkun side, falling to the floor and whimpering. Pakkun picked it up by the scruff of it’s neck and put it on it’s paws.

“I never pictured you as the fatherly type, Pakkun. Are you getting soft?” Holly joked, cocking her head and giving Pakkun a nudge with her muzzle.

“No, no…I just never pictured myself as a father. Not that I’m not enjoying it. Kakashi doesn’t need me much these days, that was always my biggest worry. Not being there. But, since I don’t have to worry, I’ll enjoy this.”

“My owner doesn’t summon me much, either. He’s getting into more dangerous combat, and he’s worried about me getting hurt. He’s right. That, or my constant doging got to him. Either way, I DO still get to deliver messages. I’m assuming I get maternity leave…”

Holly’s eyes brightened suddenly. “Hey, we should tell my owner about how these puppies came about! It’ll be hilarious, the kid is probably a card-carrying member of the V club!”

“Only because he’s too good to sack with just anyone, he probably could’ve have Ino with a minimum of effort.” Pakkun added with a stretch. He and Holly laughed, then Pakkun added a serious “He’s a good kid, he’ll find that girl someday.”

“I hope so. He denies it, but I’ve seen him a little choked up more than once…it’s not healthy. Although, now that’s he’s been promoted, maybe he’ll cheer up, and even get a little confidence.” Holly would NEVER tell Ekyt, but she actually cared about him. It was just her nature to treat him like crap, but he knew that, so they were fine. In reality, it was Ekyt’s shyness that had helped her get Pakkun’s attention in the first place. So, in a way, she had Ekyt to thank for her life getting meaning again.

Once again, the little puppy with it’s eyes open tore across the room. This time it was playing fetch by itself, using it’s tail to throw a senbon, then retrieving it. Pakkun and Holly observed this, before concluding that this puppy deserved a special owner.

“I think my kid could use that one…there’s something different about her…” Holly stretched inside her basket, then got up, looking at the puppy from different angles.

“That one is a fighting type, I can tell. She’ll be a handful, but tough and smart as they come,” Pakkun informed Holly in his distinctive drawl.

“That she will. But somehow, my kid will figure her out.” Holly tested her legs again. She was still a little wobbly after giving birth, but seemed more or less okay.

“THAT I doubt. He’ll harness her combat skills, but he’ll never figure her out. She IS a girl, after all,” Pakkun replied with a smirk.

“Good point. Well, let’s hope that enough. He’ll give her love. He put up with me, after all…”




POOF!

“Lookin’ good kid!” Tsunade commented. “Maybe I should dismiss those two clowns I have as aides and keep you!”

Ekyt, wearing his new chunin vest, blushed, true to form. “I’m supposed to unseal Neji’s eyes, right?” Ekyt would be lying if he said he wasn’t apprehensive about it.

I just made this guy swallow a TON of ego. He’s going to be angry, and the second I unseal his eyes, he’ll try attacking…Not least of all because I got him demoted. Well, I’m not feeling guilty about it, the prick deserved it and more!

Tsunade nodded. She, Shizune, and Sakura got up from their respective seats and nodded for Ekyt to follow. Ekyt kind of smiled; this was nice, finally feeling like he belonged somewhat. Although, Anko Mitarashi had come on a little strong, with her drunken talk of ‘yobai’ (yobai meaning ‘to have sex’, which Ekyt politely declined just before Anko passed out. Anko was attractive, sure, but Ekyt wasn’t like that. The other kunoichi cracked up at the slight bloody nose he received). The party was an interesting one. Ekyt didn’t even WANT a party, but it was kind of forced on him. Ichiraku ramen, Akakomadori sake, Amiarasu dumplings, and even some namachus (Light beer). Then, of course, Naruto and his celebratory “Harem Jutsu”. Somehow, he used the Harem Jutsu, but had all the girls wearing open chunin vests. It was hilarious to everyone but Ekyt, who was only semi-conscious after the nosebleed.

“Back to the problem- yes, heal his eyes. Also, I need you to take that field trip to Sunagakure with your class, and escort Kankuro back home. (Kankuro was injured and attacked a few chapters back) Also, we have some questions for Kankuro, and they concern you. Some new evidence about your house…but, for now, unseal Neji’s eyes,” Tsunade added the last part as if it was an afterthought. She was furious with Neji, and was tempted to have Ekyt leave his eyes sealed. But, no matter the case, Gai needed it’s team member back. Only they would be getting a chunin instead of a jonin back, as Ekyt’s win assured Neji’s demotion, as well as his own promotion.




Neji sat on the cold steel table, looking out through the window.

Just like when Naruto Uzumaki defeated me at the chunin exams…this was a humbling loss…but a necessary one. Fighting for a purpose makes one more focused and determined. Even smarter. And Ekyt proved that. He also showed me that I can’t rely on my Byakugan alone anymore. All the same, I’ll be glad to have it back…

Ekyt walked in first. Neji looked up, then looked away.

“Before you unseal my eyes…I believe you were correct…and I apologize if your student was hurt…My fame went to my head.”

Ekyt didn’t know what to say; Neji had said it all FOR him! But, all the same, Ekyt was grateful for the apology.

“He’s fine, so no harm, no foul.” Ekyt summoned his chakra, and undid the seal across Neji’s eyes.

“That’s that. Now, you said something about Kankuro?” Ekyt questioned. Tsunade immediately turned more serious.

“Yes. Come with me.”

---

Kankuro sat up, painting his face for the first time since he had been attacked. After nearly a month of daily treatments, he was ambulatory. The only upside was that while he was laid up in bed, he got the Crow working to perfection, and polished it, keeping it in tip-top shape.

Time to go home…I’ve gotta say, I had the Leaf Village figured all wrong. They’ve got a strong crop of Ninjas, and they’re hospitable, even to me. They aren’t charging me for all this treatment, and I’m being escorted home. Good deal!

Kankuro looked up as Tsunade walked in, followed by her assistants and Ekyt.

“Kankuro, do you still have the item we discussed? After you were attacked?”

“Yeah, sure, I’ve got it right here,” Kankuro informed Tsunade, holding out the piece of cloth he had found.

Sheesh, she sure was uptight about that piece of cloth…wonder why? And what’s Ekyt got to do with it, anyway?

“Does this look familiar?” Tsunade held out a different piece of cloth.

“Yeah…yeah, part of the same shirt or something? Where’d it come from?” Kankuro wanted to know.

“The same people who destroyed Ekyt’s house. Kakashi overhead them, and knows where they were last scene. AND where they were headed. Which is going to make this all the easier. Ekyt, a moment, please. Sakura, Shizune, help Kankuro pack, and give him one last check-up and treatment.”

---

Outside Kankuro’s room, Tsunade had a short mission briefing with Ekyt.

“Take your class to Sunagakure. You’ll be accompanied by Kankuro. He is in no condition to fight. Secondly, you’ll also have Kiba and Akamaru. This cloth is more than enough to help Akamaru get the sent of the two crooks. I want you to bring them back here for questioning. But, should it come to it- kill them, without hesitation. They’re in league with the Akatsuki and Orochimaru, and we can’t afford to let them escape. Now, your kids are going to be unaware of this, and if possible, KEEP them unaware of what’s happening. This is an A-ranked mission. For two chunin, it should be difficult, but entirely possible. Lastly, if the Akatsuki themselves show, or Orochimaru, it’s up to you- and only you- to keep them at bay while the kids, Kiba, and Kankuro escape. ANBU won’t be far behind once you’ve engaged them. Do you understand?”

“I do, Lady Fifth. I’ve got an hour before class starts…do you know where I could find Kakashi-sensei at this time of day?”

Tsunade thought for a moment. “You might try the Memorial Stone. But don’t expect him to be in a mood to train you. Oh, and if you DO find him, give him this scroll, will you?”

“Certainly, Lady Tsunade. And I think I can persuade him. Oh, by the way, from the party last night, I know you were busy and couldn’t be there, but I managed to keep this away from those animals. It’s just a little something as a thanks for giving me the opportunity to get promoted. Let me grab it…” Ekyt began to rummage around in a summoning scroll after he paid the blood tribute.

“You didn’t have to do that! You’re such a kiss-@$$!” Tsunade joked with a chuckle.

“I’m a kiss-@$$ who does his homework about what his superiors like…Here you are. Don’t tell Shizune-sensei you got it from me, she’ll kill me. You might not want to tell her at all…” Ekyt held out a wooden cask. There was no mistaking the smell, but the label on the cask said it all:

Akakomadori sake
Special Brew
Aged: 20 years

“WHERE did you get that?! I’ve been trying to get a hold of that for years!” Tsunade almost shouted, grabbing the cask, nearly breaking it with excitement.

“It was a thanks from Tanzaku town. Anyway, I’ve got to go. Enjoy!” Ekyt disappeared in a puff of smoke, leaving Tsunade to fondly kiss the cask of the finest brew available.

“I need to make him a jonin! If he gets me a Pachinko machine for the Hokage mansion, I’ll make him a legend!”




Kakashi looked silently at the Memorial Stone, remembering his friends. His comrades…

Obito…I wish I could have saved your life. Your eye has saved mine so many times…and Rin…I wish I knew where you were. Maybe I don’t have it in me to believe you’ve died, but I’m SURE you’re alive somewhere…I never returned your affection, did I? It’s all thanks to your brilliant medical work that I’ve even become “Sharingan Kakashi” or “The Copy Ninja”…And all of you who died fighting the nine-tailed fox…all heroes…and, I miss you…Dad…

Kakashi turned to walk away from the stone just as Ekyt walked up. They both stared at the stone for a couple minutes. Ekyt was silently paying tribute to the heroes, while Kakashi was trying to let his thoughts of his friend slip away. After a few minutes, both of them walked away.

“Kakashi-sensei…I, er…don’t ask how I got this. But, I wanted you to have it. And I was hoping for your help…” Ekyt began, holding out a plain brown package.

“I’m not really in the mood for traini-…” Kakashi stopped dead as he unwrapped the package. “Th-this is…it can’t be!”

“The latest in the Makeout series. “Makeout Unlikely”. Master Jiraiya seemed to think I needed a copy. And, well, you’ve read the others in the series so much, you’ll probably enjoy it more than me. I wonder why Master Jiraiya wanted me to get a copy so bad…Oh, yeah, it’s autographed.”

Sensei doesn’t need to know I’ve still got a copy. Damn that Jiraiya. If anyone else figures out that this was based on my affection for Sakura…

Kakashi read the first page, and immediately broke into a grin. “This sounds familiar. I quote from the jacket: “The story of a clueless boy and a beautiful kunoichi. Cursed with a fear of kunoichi, Kissaki is nonetheless enthralled by them. One in particular, a pink-haired kunoichi named “Tsuka”. This is the enthralling tale of boy meets girl, but boy is completely out of his element, until the girl teaches him how to…” Well, you get the picture. Is he paying you to be the star for this book? And does Sakura know?”

Ekyt knew the ribbing was coming. “No. But maybe YOU can help me, sensei. One of my jutsu, the Dragon’s Immortal Circle, is imperfect. It’s similar to the Rasengan and the Chidori. I was hoping you could teach me the theory behind the Chidori, so I could fix my jutsu.”

Kakashi smiled. “Of course. See me after you get through teaching today. My team and I will be waiting. And…thanks for the book!”

Ekyt shook his head. Master Jiraiya owes me for this…maybe I can blackmail him into teaching me the theory of the Rasengan. Reading it in the Fourth’s scroll and seeing it, and performing the steps are different things…

…I still can’t believe he used me as “Kissaki” in that pervy novel of his…If Sakura ever finds out, she’ll murder Master Jiraiya…Oh well, she doesn’t read this smut, her and I are two upstanding individuals, we don’t need to resort to this dirt!

Boy, that would sound a LOT more convincing if I wasn’t involved in the book’s creation ^^’

That Jiraiya just won’t take “No” for an answer. Threatening to tell Sakura how I felt was low, but then threatening to SPY on her…well, at least I protected HER integrity. My own is shot to hell, that’s for sure.

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on April 28, 2008, 9:08:30 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifeOMG I OFFICIALLY LOVE JIRAIYA!!!!! 8D

nextguardian on April 28, 2008, 11:40:00 AM

nextguardian on
nextguardianlol

hflp on April 28, 2008, 12:15:16 AM

hflp on
hflpPoor Ekyt. At least his life is coming together. It would be funny as hell if Sakura ever found out about what's in that book.

nextguardian on April 28, 2008, 11:39:16 AM

nextguardian on
nextguardianFunny until she found out Ekyt knew...then his problem of telling Sakura "I like you" would be solved...most likely with him being nuetered -_-' Yeow...

hflp on April 29, 2008, 12:54:07 AM

hflp on
hflp-_- Point taken.... But it would still be funny as hell.