Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 65 - A Village Too Far

This fic begins as a better version of "hell in the land of herbs". But from there, it becomes a regular story. Enjoy!

Chapter 65 - A Village Too Far

Chapter 65 - A Village Too Far
“Kiba, Kankuro, take the kids to the Sand Village! Remember what we discussed! Go!” Ekyt shouted. Kankuro was the ranking member, but this was Ekyt’s mission, and he was following Tsunade’s direct orders.

The students screamed, some of them even running toward the battle, instead of away from it, before their mental compasses were straightened, and they ran the opposite direction.


“HA HA HA! RUN, YOU LITTLE WORMS!” came the shout of five robbers. All of them reared back and threw crude weapons at the kids, mostly sharpened spears.

“Dragon’s Encampment Wall!” Ekyt called out, creating a wall of fire that knocked the weapons away. A split-second later, he had dropped one of the robbers with the butt-end of his kunai, cracking him in the ribs. As another came to grab Ekyt, Ekyt shifted his weight and threw the barely-conscious robber into the oncoming attacker, then side-kicked them both. Seconds later, shuriken riddled his body. POOF! Replacement jutsu!

“Where’d he go?! Isn’t he dead?! That explosion should have killed him!” one robber exclaimed, looking around. The next thing he knew, Ekyt had smacked him on the pressure points between his shoulder blades, knocking him out, then leapt away just in time as another crook aimed a sweep kick at him. While in the air, Ekyt was jumped, and grabbed around then neck. Ekyt jammed his elbow backward close to six times in two seconds, breaking the hold, then spun, rolling across the man’s body so that he could grab an arm and throw him to the ground.

The last robber, dressed differently from the others, was near the kids. damn, I’ll never get him in time…wait, Kiba’s stopped them…what’s he doing?




“NOW!” Kiba shouted. All the kids reared back and threw their kunai! About five struck the robber before he had to stop and start blocking. By then, Ekyt was already within feet of him.

“Dragon’s Immortal Circle!” The crackling ball of flame struck the robber in the right side. A hole the size of a baseball quickly grew just under his arm, while the robber’s clothes burned to a crisp, soon followed by his body. All but dead. The pain was so intense, the robber began to beg.

“Please, kill me! Please, the pain! God, it hurts! Please, I’m sorry, just kill me! PLEASE!” he begged Ekyt. It was eerie, having a charred mass cling to his pant leg, Ekyt thought. But Akamaru barked in a certain tone; this was the man who had attacked Kankuro and destroyed Ekyt’s house. NOW he had tried to threaten Ekyt’s kids. A mistake. For once, there was no mercy in Ekyt’s eyes.

“So, scum. You tried to kill my friend, with the puppet, didn’t you? -Kiba, take the kids away, they don’t need to see this…”

The kids saw Ekyt’s ANBU tattoo glow brightly, even through the dark material of his shirt. They suddenly shuddered; could this be the same Ekyt-sensei that was so kind to them? It seemed like a different person. He was cold, and scary.

Kiba nodded. “C’mon kids, let’s go meet the Kazekage. Ekyt will get your knives back to you. Good job back there.”

“Yeah. Hey, Sunagakure is famous for dumplings, and even chickenwings. C’mon, let’s go eat!” Kankuro declared. THAT succeeded in distracting the kids. But as the kids left, Kakashi’s team arrived. Ekyt didn’t acknowledge them.



“You tried to kill my friend, didn’t you?” Ekyt repeated his question.

“No, no!” The robber protested.

Ekyt kicked him swiftly on his burnt midsection to turn him on to his back. Then, taking a horribly burnt arm and pulling it back in a way nature never intended, Ekyt continued his questioning.

“Don’t lie to me, dirtbag! It’s insulting. Now, unless you start telling me EVERYTHING, and go along with these fine people (nods to Team Kakashi) quietly, I’m going to snap your char-broiled limbs off one by one. (Yanks on arm sharply) So DO NOT TEST ME!”

The man groaned his understanding. Ekyt hauled him to his feet and handed him over to Team Kakashi.

“He’s yours. Sorry I didn’t say hi, it would have killed the interrogation mood…” Ekyt muttered.

“Wow. And you say KUNOICHI are scary…” Sakura chimed in.

Ekyt bowed his head, as if in apology. “I saw a threat to those kids, and, well, I thought to what Lady Fifth told me (Team Kakashi has been briefed). That’s probably why he was alive. Wielding a knife and threatening a group of kids…oh, yeah, there’s those four over there. They’re all in league with this guy, who’s in league with the Akatsuki/Orochimaru alliance. Not what Lady Fifth asked for, but the best I can give her. This thing’s (indicates prisoner) partner has got to be one of them, no one got away from the fight. And, no casualties on our end.”

“Alright, sounds like mission accomplished. All the same, you don’t have a medic…Sakura, why don’t you stay the night and make sure no one’s injured? Kankuro was severely poisoned, and wasn’t aware of it until over an hour later.”

“Right! I’ll stay!” Sakura wasn’t sure she liked Kakashi’s tone. It’s like he’s hiding something…or knows something I don’t…but all he’s done is read his stupid book…must be my imagination…

Sakura turned on her heel and stood next to Ekyt.

“Well, let’s go before we get attacked again…hey, what’s wrong?” Sakura waved her hand in front of Ekyt’s face. That shook his out of his weird trance.

“Oh, sorry…right,” he said, heading toward the gates of Sunagakure.
Kakashi…him and that damn book! He’s trying to get Sakura to figure it out. Damn that Jiraiya! Threatening to peep her! That’s the only reason I agreed to this, so that perverted sannin would agree not to feast his eyes on her! Somehow, I don’t see her understanding that…

“Ekyt-kun, your face is all red…what are you thinking about?” Sakura looked over, putting a hand on Ekyt’s forehead to check for a fever.

“It’s nothing. I got a little worked up, I’ll be okay,” Ekyt assured Sakura.




That night, once more, Ekyt dreamt. But this time, the realm of his dreams was decidedly different…


“Sakura…I…” Ekyt felt his courage failing him again. No! You’ve come so close! You’ve got to tell her!

“Ekyt-kun? What’s wrong?” Sakura put a hand to Ekyt’s forehead. No fever…then why is he so red?

“Sakura…I-..(damnit!)C-can I…? I really like you!” The words burst from Ekyt’s mouth like a gunshot. He had said it quietly, but with such passion behind the words that he might as well have yelled.

“Huh? R-really?” Sakura stammered. W-what does he mean?

“I’ve…I’ve been in love with you for nearly three years now. I couldn’t say it. But I HAD to. Please, don’t feel guilty when you say no…” Ekyt cringed.

“Are you kidding? I wouldn’t! I love you, too!” Sakura zipped forward and hugged Ekyt. “You couldn’t tell me? That’s so…cute!”

“You were always out of my league, and I didn’t want to make you unhappy, sensei.”

Sakura led Ekyt to the cherry blossom path. This early in the morning, no one would be here, as the park was closed. But Sakura had always dreamed of bringing her boyfriend here.

“Please…let me just…” Sakura slid Ekyt’s mask down, so it was around his neck.

I’d forgotten how handsome he looked without his mask…and I’ve always seen his eyes, but somehow, now, I see them differently. There’s so much love there.

“You really love me? How could you? I’ve got a big forehead, and…well, that’s the only thing that’s big…” Sakura muttered awkwardly.

“I’m not that shallow. You were the first to befriend me when I came to the Leaf Village. And you’ve patched me up more times than I can count after fights. All those times I meant to tell you…but I couldn’t. I felt like I would be a disappointment to you…that you could do better than me. And I didn’t want you to feel guilty when you told me I wasn’t good enough…”

Ekyt looked away shyly. “I think you’re the most beautiful kunoichi in the village, and easily the most intelligent. You just seemed so…wholesome and beautiful, like no girl I’d ever seen before. You didn’t complain about clothes, and you aren’t a ‘material girl’. You’re strong, beautiful, smart, and everything I’ve ever wanted in a girl.”

No one had ever told Sakura that before. Not even remotely CLOSE to that.

“A-all those times you fought in my place, and all those cuts that I healed…they were for me, weren’t they? To protect me?” Sakura asked.

Ekyt nodded, blushing even deeper. It had been such a hot day, Ekyt had pocketed his gloves. That was when he felt Sakura’s hand snake it’s way into his own, then close tightly.

“I…I never knew. I always thought you were cute, and brilliant. I didn’t think you’d have time for a girlfriend, with your studying. Otherwise I would have asked you…a long time ago…if you’d go out with me…” Sakura’s voice trailed off, but her green eyes looked hopefully up at Ekyt.

“I-I would love to! But, um, thing is, I’m completely clueless. That’s another reason I didn’t ask you out. I have no idea how to…court a kunoichi. Kunoichi scare the hell out of me. You’re part girl, part warrior. Warriors are deadly, and girls are the unknown…”

Sakura had to laugh despite the seriousness of his voice. “Well, I’ve, um, only seen a couple dating sims that Ino owns…never the…you know…but the dating. I’d say going to the park qualifies as a date.”

“Are you supposed to kiss on the first date?” Ekyt asked, suddenly aware he didn’t know if he possessed any kissing skills, and didn’t know any of the fine points.

“In the sims, they did…” Sakura said with a giggle, “But most girls don’t.”

Ekyt sighed with a combination of disappointment and relief.

“But I’m not most girls…” Sakura had suddenly pulled herself in closer to Ekyt. Ekyt was only a couple inches taller, so Sakura didn’t have to get up on her toes to reach him. She reached up, put one hand around his neck, and brought their heads together. Then their mouths met in a warm embrace. It lasted longer than most first kissed, and was a little more provocative, being that both giver and receiver were older, but it was still a first. Ekyt ran his hand through Sakura’s silky hair, then down her back lightly. He was actually copying her movements; he was as clueless as they came. After what felt like hours, but was only seconds, the two broke apart.

Sakura kept a grip on Ekyt’s hand. “(giggle) I heard Asuma-sensei’s advice to you…”

Ekyt went pale. “Oh…the cigarette thing? I don’t do that…”

Sakura rolled her eyes. “No, that’s a perv guy thing! I meant the “Once they kiss you, they own you” advice about girls. I want to assure you…that it’s completely true. I guess you’re mine, now.”

Ekyt nodded stupidly. “I g-guess so. I don’t object!” Ekyt bowed suddenly, as if apologizing.

Sakura giggled again, then patted Ekyt on the head. “It’s okay, I was kidding. But if you’re that willing, it’s kind of a Haruno clan tradition…if you’re okay with it…”

Ekyt nodded. He would have done anything at this point, and he was apparently living on something other than oxygen, because he hadn’t breathed in about two minutes. It’s funny how you work so hard to make your dreams come true. But, at the same time, a nagging voice tells you that ‘it’s only a dream’, never an encouraging ‘it can be a reality’ accompanied with it. For Ekyt, a dream coming true might as well have been the world ending.

“Here, take this…I’ve got one just like it…it’s kind of proof that you’re ‘taken’…” Sakura held out a kunai. It looked ordinary, except for the red grip tape. That, and the loop at the end of the kunai was white.

“The white part is a circle, the symbol of the Haruno clan. And the red part is the Haruno’s clan’s color. And it’s the tradition that the Haruno clan member gives his or her boyfriend or girlfriend the knife. It’s supposed to symbolize the union of two clans under the branch of the Hidden Leaf.”



Of course, Ekyt woke up before the dream was over. But this time, it was by a rapping at his door. Wondering who would be bothering him at this hour of the morning, Ekyt was greeted by Gaara himself.

“Come with me…you need to be here for this…” Gaara offered no other explanation. Ekyt finished getting dressed and followed, his dream fresh in his mind. He held on to the warmth of the dream as long as he could, suddenly feeling that things were going to get cold.

Ekyt was right. On two Sand Village exam room tables, there was Kimimaro, his cousin, and on the other, Hayate Gekko, who had become a brother to Ekyt.

“What happened here?” Ekyt asked, trying to comprehend this.

“I don’t know…There was only this note…”


Ekyt read it aloud. “Give yourself and the demon fox up, or more loved ones will suffer…”
Ekyt crumpled the note in his fist. Then, he cursed.

“shoot! No more time for this screwing around! I’m going to find out who did this, and I’m going to torture them until their bodies are nothing but an empty husk holding an insane mind. THEN I’ll demolish their bodies…Dual Summoning Jutsu!”

Shuurai and Umisu were at Ekyt’s sides.

“Umisu, please get Kakashi and his team back here! Shuurai, I want you to protect the Hidden Leaf Village until I can return myself. If anything goes wrong, send word with someone, anyone, anyTHING. This is either a trap for Naruto and I, or it’s a trap to leave the Leaf Village defenseless…”

Ekyt looked down at Kimimaro and Hayate. Both incredibly talented, and both only barely alive. Sakura went to work on them, while the students were spread around the village to Shinobi family willing to watch them.

“The Akatsuki have gone too far…we need to eliminate them…” Gaara had appeared at Ekyt’s side, and had been the one to supply the commentary.

“I agree…innocent people are getting hurt. It’s got to be stopped, and now.” Ekyt reached into his vest pocket and extracted what looked like cigarettes. Actually, they were the equivalent of chakra pills. After Ekyt had injured himself in a sparring match with Lee, and couldn’t take the pills, he had talked with Asuma and Tsunade, and come up with what amounted to a healthy, ‘chakra cigarette’. It had the same effects as the pill, and was being distributed. You had to be at least a genin to have them, but that was only to keep consistent with smoking laws. Ekyt would NEVER smoke anything that would harm his body. This, however, was what he needed, since he couldn’t swallow pills without gagging.

“Then let’s plan…our two Villages need to work together. It’s our only hope against an Orochimaru-Akatsuki alliance. If they’ve gotten to one of yours (Hayate), my brother (Kankuro), and even gotten rid of one of their own (Kimimaro) it’s obvious they’re planning something big…”



NEXT ISSUE: THE SHUKAKU LIVES- WITHOUT GAARA! AND- THREE YEARS AGO- WHY THE AKATSUKI ARE AFTER EKYT! PLUS, SAKURA’S DREAMS!

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on April 30, 2008, 12:25:56 PM

musicismylife on
musicismylifeOMFG CANT WAIT!!!

hflp on April 30, 2008, 1:50:21 AM

hflp on
hflpThe Akatsuki just awoke a sleeping giant.