Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - The Threat of Companionship

This fic follows the manga storyline, with my own ideas for filler arcs. It also includes one of my OC's. Enjoy, and please leave comments. If you comment on mine, I'll comment on yours and recommend you in return.

Chapter 7 - The Threat of Companionship

Chapter 7 - The Threat of Companionship
THE THREAT OF COMPANIONSHIP!

Ryouko shifted up to his feet and stretched. He looked at Kakashi, then at the straw dummy he had crafted of Zabuza. It seemed like Ryouko was going to ask Kakashi a question, but held back. Instead, Ryouko dragged the dummy to the edge of a small river running through the forest, and made hand signs. Several times he made them correctly, but didn’t stop until he did them fast enough and smooth enough to satisfy him. Finally, he used the jutsu:

“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu! 5…10…15…20…25 (koff)…30…35…(puff puff)40…45…50…55…60!” Ryouko had burnt the dummy to a crisp, and then used the last burst of fire to knock it into the river, so as not to start a forest fire. The straw smoldered and smoked, but didn’t set anything else on fire. Ryouko made a quick note in his scroll, then turned to find Kakashi watching him.

“The counting…what was that for?” Kakashi asked kindly, though he figured he knew.

“I wanted to see how long I could hold the jutsu for. Just curiosity. I wanted to see if my time had improved after the chakra control exercise,” Ryouko explained. “That, and I wanted to see how it felt to use chakra combatively. You said that maintaining chakra in battle is different. I know that wasn’t a real battle, but it gave me some idea.” Ryouko looked over at the ruins of the dummy he had constructed.

“That, and that thing was creepy as hell,” Ryouko added with a small laugh.

“Interesting…Now, you’re fifteen, right?” Kakashi asked/stated.

“Yes, sensei,” Ryouko responded, wondering why that was important.

“Tomorrow, Sakura is going to watch Tazuna and his team work. Naruto and Sasuke will still be training. I’d like you to work with me for a little while. It’s just an exercise that might help you out. You’re older, and I think you’re ready for this. Okay?” Kakashi gave an encouraging smile and patted Ryouko on the head.

“Thank you, Kakashi-sensei. Is it alright if I go to town? I’m running low on writing ink, and my brush is about to fall apart.” I’ve learned a lot in the past couple of days. It’s a shame I suck at drawing; my scroll would be a lot better if I could draw out what was going on, instead of writing it out.

“Sure, go ahead,” Kakashi responded with a nod.

“Thank you, I’ll be right back,” Ryouko said over his shoulder as he started the walk to town.


---

Kakashi was sprawled out on the roof, reading Makeout Paradise for the umpteenth time. No matter how many times he read it, the book always made Kakashi nearly giddy with joy.

The love between a man and a woman! Love, hate, anger, lust, evny! The emotional cornucopia overflowing! This is a stroke of genius! I can’t wait for the next book in the series!

Whoosh! Tok!

Ryouko landed next to Kakashi, looking up, trying to conceal the shock that someone else was lounging in his spot on the roof.

“Sorry, sensei, I didn’t know you were up here,” Ryouko apologized.

“That’s all right. I wanted to have that training session with you, remember? But, for it, we have to go somewhere else, it’s dangerous up here for this drill,” Kakashi said, closing his book and stretching. “Let’s head to the grassy area near the woods.”

Once there, Kakashi questioned Ryouko.

“What’s one thing you’re afraid of Ryouko. No, don’t say it out loud, right in on the small scroll I asked for. All finished? Good, let me read it…Okay. Now, do you remember when we first met, the genjutsu I used on you?”

Ryouko nodded. “Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique,” he quoted, nodding to himself, as if confirming the answer.

“That’s right. And you threw the genjutsu off handily for someone so new. That’s why I figured out that you might be a genjutsu-type ninja; or, at the very least, you’d be able to understand it’s benefits it battle, and perform it well enough. Now, I’m going to warn you- this training is going to be painful. I need you to put your complete trust in me, alright?”

“I trust you, sensei. Tell me, what do I have to do?” Ryouko wanted to know. He always had a high tolerance for pain, so that didn’t concern him. It was the trust part that concerned him. Ryouko had very rarely ever trusted anyone. But he guessed that if he could trust anyone, it was Kakashi-sensei.

“Just stand there. I’m going to use the fear you wrote down on this scroll in a genjutsu. I don’t want you to break it, no matter what. Just remember, it won’t hurt you while I’m doing it. This is the first step. Now, are you ready?” Kakashi questioned calmly. A breeze suddenly sang through the trees, and rippled the ocean. The sounds of Naruto and Sasuke running were carried on the wind. The wind?

(Memory)

Ryouko watched the others work together at martial arts. Strictly speaking, they were messing around and having fun, targeting each other with waterballoons. Not at all what sensei had said. Not that Ryouko liked this sensei much, but still.

They look like they’re having fun…Sometimes I wish I could just go and be like them. But I’m not. Am I…supposed to be alone? Why do I have to be different?

The wind kicked up; the class was being held outside today. On the wind, a single leaf blew by Ryouko, and he thought about that group he had met at the tournament, with the strange headbands, that had a Leaf shape on them…

(End Memory)

Ryouko shook his head, regaining his focus. “I’m ready sensei.”

“Alright. Here it comes. Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique!” Kakashi stared Ryouko right in the eye. Immediately, Ryouko saw a swirl of leaves. His first instinct was to throw off the attack, but Kakashi’s words ran through his head, and he just stood still. Then, panic began to grip him.

Genjutsu

Ryouko was standing at the gates of the Village Hidden in the Leaves, his rucksack in hand. As he walked in, he saw several friendly people wave. One he knew as Gekkou Hayate gave a rare half-smile.

“Come on, let’s not be late!” Iruka-sensei was pushing the kids into a line. “Okay, follow me. Stay in line! Naruto, stop that! This is a solemn occasion!”

Naruto crossed his arms defiantly. “Big deal, some stupid kid died. It’s not like he MEANT anything to the village.”

“Naruto’s got a point, why are we going to this? I like funerals as much as the next guy, but this is getting troublesome,” Shikamaru commented.

That was when Ryouko noticed something- he was lying down. All around him was velvet. His arms were crossed in front of his chest, and he couldn’t move them. He couldn’t move at all.

I-I can’t breathe! What the hell is this?! Why isn’t anyone helping me?! Ryouko tried to call for help, but couldn’t speak. That was when Lord Hokage shuffled into his view, peering down into the casket.

“I was wrong to be proud of him…he only made himself a burden. He was useless to the village…”

Useless…

[/i]


Ryouko shot upwards, breathing heavily. He was lying on the lawn of the bridge builder’s house.

“You alright?” came Kakashi’s voice. Soon his arm was in view. Ryouko let Kakashi haul him to his feet.

“Yeah…I’m okay…I see why you wanted us to get off the roof to practice this.” Ryouko was panting, a cold sweat soaking his body.

“Alright. I tested the limits of your mind with this drill. To be able to use genjutsu, you have to endure it first.”

“ ‘Those who are versed in the advantages of arms must also understand the disadvantages of arms’,” Ryouko commented, quoting ‘The Art of War’.

“…Right. It’s pretty obvious we read different things then (scratching the back of his head). Now, tomorrow, I’m going to teach you the technique so that you can cast it on yourself.”

“Thank you for your time, sensei.”

Kakashi patted Ryouko’s head. “My pleasure. Now, you should rest up. I didn’t hold back very much, and if you don’t rest, you might wind up paying for it later.”

As Ryouko walked off, Kakashi wondered why Lord Hokage would order such a test for Ryouko. It was rare that Lord Third took such an interest in a case that average, at best. It must be about survival…if he’s going to be by himself, then he needs to know as much as he can…I don’t think this will be too difficult for him. His mind withstood far more probing than I thought it would. Even Sakura, a genjutsu-type ninja for sure, didn’t last very long. Very interesting, this whole group…


--

The next day, Sakura was sitting on the edge of the bridge, watching mostly older men carry big metal beams back and forth, and then using hammers to pound them in place. It was boring to Sakura.

Geez, there aren’t even any cute guys to watch, just these sweaty old men! (sigh) I wish Sasuke could have come. Or Ryouko. Even Naruto, just SOMEONE to talk to!

As Sakura was sighing, Tazuna walked by, carrying a four by four wooden beam.

“Where’s blondie, pretty boy, and that wiseass kid with the scroll?” Tazuna asked sarcastically.

“They’re all training,” Sakura shot back, not really wanting to talk to Tazuna, despite her longing for conversation just moments ago. She found the old man revolting, and a jerk.

“Oh yeah? Why aren’t you with them?” Tazuna queried, shifting the weight of the wood he was carrying.

“Oh, I mastered the exercise. So Kakashi-sensei sent me to guard you,” Sakura responded with a cocky shrug.

“Really…hm.” Tazuna was about to get back to work, when he heard his name being called. Inwardly, Tazuna cringed; someone yelling his name was NEVER a good sign anymore.


“Tazuna, we need to talk,” said an older man, wearing a headband stained with sweat.

“What is it, Giichi?”

“I’ve been thinking about this…the bridge…I want off the job!” Giichi finished abruptly.

“What? Why?! Out of nowhere, you take off? Giichi, you of all people!” Tazuna had to try really hard not to yell; this song and dance was getting old very quickly.

“I know we go way back, and I want to help. But I just can’t take the risk. Gato will have us murdered if we don’t stop work on the bridge! Please…just give up…the bridge isn’t worth our deaths…” Giichi’s eyes and voice were suddenly pleading; making a desperate bid to an old friend.

“…I can’t do it. This bridge is owned by all of us. It’s everything we’ve worked hard for, together, as a city. When it’s finished, it will give us a new chance at life, and ruin Gato’s hold on us. It will put our tiny, poor country on the map, and get it back on it’s feet.”

Giichi threw an arm out, pointing at Tazuna. “But these are LIVES, Tazuna, and your life, too!”

“It’s time to call it a day,” Tazuna said gruffly, before lending a little bit of sentiment to his old friend, “Giichi…you don’t have to come back.” Tazuna shuffled off the bridge. After a moment, Sakura followed him.


--

Ryouko worked on the jutsu, and soon found himself facing his worst fears. But now, he had to REALLY test it. Kakashi came along at that point to make sure Ryouko hadn’t overdone it.

“I’ve got it sensei. At least, on myself. I don’t know about someone else…” Ryouko muttered.

“Well, try it on me. Go on. You’ll instinctively know what to use on my subconscious.” Kakashi sat down, just in case Ryouko packed a punch.

“How will I know that, sensei?” Ryouko wondered, wiping blood off of his cheek. Ryouko had himself locked in his own genjutsu good, and had to cause himself physical pain to release it. So he had taken a running start into a tree.

“Think about what I’ve talked about…The one thing I’ve said over and over. Then, think of how to use it against me.”

Ryouko thought hard, but all he came up with was ‘teamwork’, and not letting people die. It took him a moment, but Ryouko put two and two together. As quickly as he could, Ryouko made the handsigns.

“Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique!” Ryouko called, staring Kakashi in the eye. That eye was the only way Ryouko could tell if his attack had worked. After a moment, Kakashi’s eyes widened. Ryouko hadn’t clamped the genjutsu on tightly, instead he increased the pressure little by little, to improve his control over the jutsu. Finally, Kakashi used the ‘release’ technique. Ryouko waited for the verdict, while Kakashi cleared his head.

“Good job. Now, there is ONE thing you need to understand- genjutsu effects can be feigned. You have to know where to look, and what to look for. What did you see when you saw me get hit with the shock?” Kakashi questioned, running a hand through his hair and taking out his book.

“I could tell your pulse sped up…mild sweat on the temples…and neck…and your pupil dilated momentarily,” Ryouko rattled off, eyes closed in concentration.

“Good observations. But everything you just pointed out; they are unreliable. If you’re fighting in the Sand Village, and it’s hot, sweat may already be there. If you’re fighting someone in battle, their heart rate will already be abnormal, from adrenaline. And the eyes…”

“Can be faked…” Ryouko murmured, understanding what Kakashi-sensei was getting at.

“What you need to look for is a change in chakra. You can sense chakra, maybe you did during the tree climbing exercise. Anyway, if there’s a disturbance in a person’s chakra, you’ll know that you’ve locked the jutsu in. And you’ll be able to tell when it’s broken as well. Now, rest your mind. Practice the handsigns, but don’t use any chakra, I can tell you’re low on chakra, and, should an attack come, I’m still low myself, but you’ll recover quicker. I’m counting on you to take charge if something goes wrong.”

“Okay, I understand, Kakashi-sensei.” Ryouko didn’t like the thought that there might be an attack while Kakashi-sensei was down and out, but it was a real possibility. It led Ryouko to vaguely wonder if he could match sword work with Zabuza.

“Good boy.” Kakashi airily added; he had his head back in the lustful world of Makeout Paradise.

--


Sakura and Tazuna walked through the streets in the Land of Waves. While the streets were full, they were far from bustling. Everywhere you looked, there were people begging for money, or food, or work.

“My daughter wanted me to pick up some vegetables for dinner tonight,” Tazuna explained as he and Sakura veered off into a store. The store was nearly devoid of any products, and what WAS available was pretty sad looking. The carrots and celery were wilted and old, and you could forget about milk that wasn’t cottage cheese by now. The site of this food made Sakura appreciate just how good a cook Tsunami really was.

What’s wrong with this town? And this store? There’s almost nothing here…it’s sad… Sakura, who hadn’t been outside the Leaf Village, couldn’t believe people lived like this. While deep in though, Sakura had dropped her guard. Over her shoulder was a canvas bag, carrying her possessions. It had attracted the eye of a shiftless character. He made a grab for Sakura’s bag. Unfortunately for him, he grabbed Sakura’s butt instead.

“DAMN PERVERT!!!” Sakura shouted as she punted the luckless fool in the face. Tazuna felt a sweatdrop grow.

Note to self: Don’t piss the girl off.

“So, what’s with this place, Mr. Tazuna?” Sakura couldn’t resist asking anymore.

“It wasn’t always like this…we were once a proud land. But when Gato took over, we became a bunch of cowards, spineless as jellyfish! That’s why the bridge is so important to me…it’s our way to get out of Gato’s clutches. Once we connect ourselves to the mainland with this bridge, his shipping business will dry up, and his grip on us will weaken, and we, as a people, will get our self-respect back! That’s why the bridge is so important…”

Sakura felt another hand on her butt. She had every intention of punching whoever it was into orbit, but stopped short when she saw it was just a small child. The child smiled and held out his hands. Sakura’s heart damn near melted. She didn’t have a lot of food on her (damn diet), but she handed the boy all the candy she had brought with her. Happily, the boy ran off, and shared with his friends. Sakura couldn’t help but feel that, if everyone did that, the Land of Waves wouldn’t be in such rough shape. But Tazuna was grumpy enough, there was nothing to be gained by voicing such a thought.

--

Naruto ran up the tree once more, and slashed a mark into the bark. When he landed, he glanced over at Sasuke.

Crap! That jerk is still going! Wait, what did Sakura say? Focus…I can’t lose my concentration! Okay, here I GO!

Sasuke saw that Naruto was catching up.

Naruto’s doing better…I wonder what Sakura told him…

“Hey, Naruto!”

Naruto fell flat on his face, welt growing on his head immediately.

“What the hell, I’m trying to work here! What do you want, Sasuke?!” Naruto shouted, massaging his throbbing head.

“What…what did Sakura tell you earlier?” Sasuke muttered, looking away. He REALLY hated having to ask for help, ESPECIALLY from Naruto. Naruto, of course, relished this delicious little opportunity.

“I’m not gonna tell ya!” Naruto declared, sticking his tongue out for good measure. Sasuke was furious; his eyes turned all white, and his mouth quivered. But if Naruto wasn’t saying, then there wasn’t anything Sasuke could do. Sitting around was just letting Naruto catch up. And Naruto, the class clown, catching Sasuke, the pride of the Uchiha clan, well, that wasn’t something Sasuke was going to take lying down. Instead, Sasuke focused his chakra, and tried again.

At the same time, Naruto and Sasuke shared a thought:

I won’t lose to you!

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on May 28, 2008, 12:00:07 AM

andr28a on
andr28aKeep this story going

Falconlobo on May 27, 2008, 3:10:14 PM

Falconlobo on
Falconlobogood details^^