Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Itachi's Visit

Ryouko Kaguya is tossed in jail on a false charge. Upon needing his help, Tsunade lets him out. Ryouko has to work fast, and lead his first mission, to save a boy and his family from their execution at the hands of a new alliance.

Chapter 4 - Itachi's Visit

Chapter 4 - Itachi's Visit
Sakura walked along the river, stopping to feel the cherry blossoms. They were nice this time of year. The petals floated into the water of the river, moving with the slow current. Sakura watched the water splash against a rock, and even saw a small fish swim by. Such a tranquil place existed in such a hectic world.

Sakura sat down on a rock, removed her sandals, and dipped her feet into the pleasantly-cool water. That’s when Sakura suddenly felt a second presence…and it wasn’t a good one. In one smooth motion, Sakura turned around and stabbed with a kunai. She gasped when she found a strong arm blocking it.

“Sakura…Haruno. Medic-nin under Tsunade…Hidden Leaf Village…” Itachi rattled off what he knew about the pink-haired kunoichi. Sakura tried to draw back, but Itachi had a firm grip on her wrist. With a torque, he forced her to let go of the kunai. It landed tip-first in the ground with a ‘thunk’.

“You…you’re Sasuke’s brother…Itachi!” Sakura gasped, and tried to get away even more. But Itachi’s strong hand wasn’t letting go.

“I’m not here to fight, Sakura. I’m only here to talk to you…to tell you something you’ll like very much…and to make you an offer…”

“I don’t care what it is! I don’t want anything to do with you!” Sakura shouted.

“You’ll change your mind…unless you don’t want to know about Sasuke…”

Sakura stopped her desperate struggle. “Sasuke…what about him?!”

“Very soon, he and I will be meeting…if you were with me, you would get to see him again…I can see inside you, Sakura…you WANT to see him again…And you’ll do anything…you still love him…”

Sakura was careful to avoid Itachi’s eyes. “I thought I loved him…That was years ago, Itachi…I almost hope the two of you kill each other…just so Sasuke will stop hurting himself…”

“Sakura…the Akatsuki could use you. A talented medic, and a powerful taijutsu user, in one package…in return, you would see Sasuke again…I won’t ask you to decide now, that would be hasty…think about my offer for two days time, and meet me back here. And come alone…I only know of one person you have with you. If he comes, his remains will never be found. Forty-eight hours, Sakura…”

Itachi disappeared, leaving Sakura to massage her hurt wrist, and turn over the offer in her mind. It was tempting, but it would mean turning her back on everything she held dear. And could she really trust Itachi? Despite those thoughts, she KNEW Sasuke would find Itachi eventually. It was a hard decision for Sakura…

--

Ryouko bounced off the tree limb, stopping on one way up as he heard Sakura’s voice…and Itachi’s! Pushing himself flat against the tree and trying to control his breathing, Ryouko listened in.

“…a talented medic-nin…forty-eight hours, Sakura…” Itachi put two fingers in front of his face in a half-tiger handsign, and disappeared.

Sakura stayed still for a few moments, massaging her hand where Itachi had grabbed it. She had a lot to think about, she realized, and couldn’t do it here, where she could be targeted. After making sure Itachi hadn’t planted a bug on her, Sakura took off for ‘home’.

--

Ryouko cursed to himself, and leapt off as fast as he could. He couldn’t tell anyone about this. Sakura had to decide for herself.

Sakura…don’t do it. Don’t become the enemy… he silently prayed. He knew that if she put on that black cloak, that they would fight someday. But could he do it? Fight Sakura? It seemed so impossible that, for a minute, Ryouko let his anxiety take over. He misjudged his landing on a branch and tumbled to the ground. He just lay there, trying to picture Sakura as the enemy. The black cloak, the scratched-out headband, the look of hatred…it was painful to the Kaguya boy. Such a close friend? Sasuke leaving was only important to him because Naruto and Sakura were affected. It wasn’t like Ryouko and Sasuke were good friends…

Maybe a better question…what can I do about this? Can I stand up to Itachi? I’ve barely survived my fights with him. Not like I have a choice. Even if the Akatsuki DO get Sakura, they’re going to lose him…

Ryouko just laid in the leaves in the forest, staring up at the green canopy of leaves above him. Slowly, he made himself move, shaking the leaves out of his hair. Once he was sure he could move without falling again, he took to the trees and leapt off to town to do what he had set out to do to begin with.

--

“Thank you,” Ryouko nodded, tossing ryo on the counter of the bar. His hip flask full again, Ryouko took to walking the streets. All too quickly, he felt something. Ryouko chanced a glance over his shoulder, seeing two Mist ninja walking behind him. They didn’t look threatening. But neither did they look peaceful.

My imagination? No…my intuition…those two are up to something, and I’m guessing it involves me…

Seconds later, Ryouko’s theory was proven correct. From behind, two sets of hands grabbed him and forced him into an alley. A cord was wrapped around his neck and pulled tight. Ryouko choked and gasped, fighting the cord. If he didn’t do something soon, he was going to be done for. Desperately, Ryouko grabbed his cigarette and stabbed it backwards over his shoulder. The masked Mist Shinobi stepped to the side to avoid the cigarette that nearly took out his eye. The shift in weight gave Ryouko time enough to move with the cord, so that there was slack. Ryouko kept backing up, smashing his attacker into the building next to him. Crushed between the unforgiving building and Ryouko’s powerful strides, the attacker let go to push off the wall. Ryouko kicked backward, hearing the sound of a shin breaking. It was actually a very distinct sound, especially when coupled with a low, guttural scream from the shin’s owner.

Ryouko snapped his hand backward, over the guy’s mouth, to shut him up. The second attacker managed to stab Ryouko. He hit him high up in the shoulder, but nowhere vital. Ryouko winced, but held on. With both hands occupied, Ryouko needed a weapon. He chose the man with the broken shin. Two bodies collided, taking out a trash can. The luckless ninja with the broken shin was unconscious now, and the other was begging for his life. Ryouko was going to let go, until a knife was arching toward him. Ryouko dodged backward and let a kunai of his own fly. It buried itself hilt-deep into the screaming attacker. Ryouko casually took another kunai out and marched forward.

“You’d better explain just what the hell you were thinking, or I’m going to kill you.” Ryouko’s words were chilling in their simplicity. Ryouko vaguely registered that these must have been chunin. They were wearing the special vests, but they didn’t fight like jonin.

“Screw you! Too bad, kid, you’re not getting a word out of us!” The ninja held up a kunai. Ryouko was on his guard, but instead turned away as the Mist ninja slit his friend’s neck, and then his own. Ryouko shook his sadly. After making sure his fingerprints weren’t around, Ryouko used a genjutsu to disguise himself and walked back ‘home’.

--

Ryouko took his nightly drink of sake, immediately feeling the rice brew’s calming effect.

The night itself was a calm. A sickle moon was overhead in the dark, starless sky, casting a pale light on all that lay beneath it. It was nights like these that Ryouko thought back to his first time meeting Kimimaro, his last lesson with the Third Hokage, and the sickle moon reminded him of Hayate and his jutsu. Ryouko exhaled, letting his head fall forward. Since there was no one around, Ryouko had donned his special, sleeveless trench coat. On the back was a large, circular crest. In the center was a camellia blossom, the sign Ryouko had adopted as the last surviving Kaguya (Ryouko’s mother was the Kaguya, who married into another name, but answered to her maiden name). It was nights like this that made being alone even more difficult. All his friends were dead, it seemed. Not counting the three sleeping peacefully below him. That gave Ryouko even more food for thought. But he stopped his thought process; the last thing he needed was to worry more. So far, three Akatsuki members had attacked, and one had ‘visited’.

Itachi is going to be a problem…even more so if Sakura takes his deal. I should tell the others…but I can’t. Naruto would spill the beans and wind up giving us away. And Sai…he wouldn’t understand. His reasoning would be to cut Sakura down. He doesn’t understand friendship. Damn…And I’m not much closer to reaching Katsuyori…if I ask around, the Akatsuki will figure out that he’s who I’m after, and they’ll use him as leverage. They’ll call my bluff if I lie…there’s no other option. I’ve got to fight them.

Ryouko tucked his chin into his chest and wished that this wasn’t happening. It was a lot of pressure, saving someone like this. It would be easier if Ryouko didn’t have morals, and could just kill anyone he needed to. But that wasn’t his style. He HAD changed since those deaths, and his fights with Tsunade, but not all of him had changed. He would never lose his ideals, or his integrity. That was what those three deaths had taught him, if nothing else. That, and one very important lesson: You protect what you believe, and what’s important to you, no matter what the cost. Ryouko had done that…but the cost might be decidedly different this time.

Sakura…

--

Sakura lay in bed, looking over at the picture she had brought with her to make it feel like home in this foreign land. It was of Team 7. Sakura saw herself smiling, while Naruto and Sasuke were glaring at each other. Kakashi was happy, smiling away. Sakura tried to picture all of them now. Sakura hardly ever smiled anymore. Sasuke was gone, Naruto was older, and now Sai and Yamato, two mysteries, would be in the frame.

I would see Sasuke again…but I would have to give up everything else…and there’s no guarantee that Sasuke would love me know…but what if he did…would I find love somewhere else, with someone else? All the power and training in the world doesn’t mean anything unless you have people to use them with, to protect.

That was when Ryouko flashed across Sakura’s subconscious.

Why did I think of him? I must be tired. (yawn) He IS cute, though, and it seemed like he really tried to make sure I enjoyed myself, even if that date WAS fake. Boy…I would miss the Leaf Village…but I would get Sasuke…But is it worth it? And can I even trust the Akatsuki?

Despite the obvious answer to that question, Sakura still had to think about it. It wasn’t a decision to be made lightly.

They found me once, they could do it again…

Sakura found that to be a terrifying thought. It would haunt her deep into the night.

--

Ryouko had returned with the ramen and ink. He had been up on the roof longer than he meant to be, and by the time it hit him that he should go inside, it was too late. Everyone had been asleep. They needed their rest, so Ryouko didn’t disturb them. Now that morning was here, he handed out what he had picked up. Both Naruto and Sai immediately picked up on something. Ryouko had been…well, fun this trip. Before he was stoic and studious to a fault. But after his release from jail, and promotion to jonin, he had changed, for the better. Last night, he had been quiet, and had kept to himself. Naruto, being a curious creature, couldn’t resist asking Ryouko what was going on. So he climbed up to the room Ryouko had chosen as his office.

“Hey, Ryouko?” Naruto called, knocking on the door.

“Come in, Naruto,” came the reply, partially muffled by the door. Naruto slid it open to find Ryouko, his headband askew from Ryouko’s hand, which was propping it up. Ryouko looked slightly older, and definitely tired. No sleep for two days will do that to someone. But a look of stress had also crossed his face.

“Hey, you okay? You look like hell froze over or something, ‘tabeyo.” Naruto sat down on the window ledge. The room was dreary, to say the least. Ryouko hadn’t bothered with it too much, only a place to study and plan privately when he needed to. His straw hat had been tossed onto the bed, while two scrolls and a map lay unfurled in front of him.

“Oh, that’s from a fight. Two Mist guys jumped me. I didn’t bother saying anything, no point in worrying you guys over a little scrape like that,” Ryouko replied dismissively, putting down his brush and capping his ink bottle.

“They’re both dead. One guy killed himself and his partner before I could get info out of them…” Ryouko suddenly questioned his decision not to tell the others about Sakura. But Naruto questioned it for him.

“Listen, Ryouko, Sai kinda…had his ink mice follow Sakura…she’s got an offer from the Akatsuki, and- hey!” Naruto protested as Ryouko leapt to his feet.

“Naruto, DO NOT tell her that you know. I wasn’t even going to tell you and Sai. I was there, watching, I passed them on my way to town. Here, look at this, you might be able to help…” Ryouko opened up a scroll. “Shield your eyes for a second, I put a genjutsu on this…okay, it’s safe.”

Naruto looked over the scroll. It was small, but it’s contents were potent.

“Itachi…Uchiha? Why him?”

Ryouko closed his eyes for a second, then answer briskly. “Because he’s going to be our biggest problem. He’s killed more Ninja that any of us have even SEEN. And it’s going to take a lot to stop him…even kill him. I couldn’t even get a hold on him long enough to use the Reaper Death Seal…and those damn eyes of his…” Ryouko rubbed his hair in frustration, messing up the side.

“What if we took the eyes out?” Naruto suggested. “Getting close enough would be hard, but if we ruin his eyes, then we don’t have to worry about his genjutsu as much, and we can fight him hand to hand.”

“That’s a good point,” Ryouko nodded, “But there’s still the HOW. And, it’s not like we can ALL pay attention to him. Only one Akatsuki member is gone for sure, and that’s the artist with the explosives. He’s in the hands of the Leaf Village. I’ve heard rumors that the puppet master, Sasori, was killed in his fight with Sakura and I. Kisame was injured, but he’ll have recovered by now.”

Ryouko sighed deeply and looked out the window.

“It seems so damn impossible, no matter how I slice it. It’s not like an all-out war where we can call for backup, this is a covert operation. I’ve likely already failed my mission here…I can’t admit that to Tsunade…or even myself…”

“Huh? You mean the kid? At least you tried to save him, and his family! How many wouldn’t have even bothered to do that? And what about he Akatsuki? They STOLE a village! We can’t let them get away with that! They’re just going to keep hurting people, and bossing them around until someone puts the hurt on them. And that’s us, believe it!”

--

One day left.

Ryouko had worked out a plan with Naruto and Sai, to get near Itachi. Should it come to that. That just left their original mission. But Ryouko was sure Katsuyori and his family were dead. The Akatsuki had no reason to hold them prisoner, or torture them. That meant they were dead; it was too much to hope that they were free.

Damn it…Hokage or not, Tsunade is going to hear about this. It’s her fault they died. Maybe it was an impossible mission to save them…well, I’ll be clashing with the Akatsuki soon enough. How I use the time until that fight may mean everything…if I go in with the state of mind I have now, it’ll be impossible to win…

“Ryouko-kun…Naruto-kun and I have been talking…” Sai began, sounding suspicious. Naruto soon chimed in.

“Right. It’s time for you to make a sacrifice…” Naruto added. Even though he was speaking seriously, he was giggling like a school girl.

“What are you two plotting?” Ryouko wanted to know, despite his reservations about ANYTHING that came from Naruto’s mind.

“You should go out with Sakura-chan again,” Sai told him, adding a real smile for emphasis.

“See, if you talk with her, and go out with her, she might remember she has friends besides Sasuke, friends who WON’T desert her, and she’ll think twice about leaving!” Naruto finished.

Ryouko raised an eyebrow. “Guys…you know, that just might work. It’s as good an idea as I’ve had the past day. Alright, I’ll do it. Wait, why is it a sacrifice?” Ryouko suddenly remembered ‘sacrifice’ being the first part of this idea.

“W-ell…it may mean that she’ll want to rip your head off for spying on her, if you say the wrong thing…hehehe (man, it would be great to see her wrath on someone else!).” Naruto tried saying this as innocently as he could. He didn’t have to try.

“I’ll do it. But- you two make sure you’re ready. Sai, see if your mice can scrounge up anything on the Akamadori family. And Naruto…be careful. Don’t leave the house, there are two genjutsus on it, and traps hidden outside.”

“Okay, Ryouko! Go get ‘er!” Naruto swatted Ryouko on the back, causing Ryouko to nearly swallow his cigarette.

This really WAS mission impossible to Ryouko.

--

Sakura hummed some mindless tune as she dressed for the day. She fixed her hair just so, and winked happily at her mirror.

Looking good today, girl!

Sakura’s thought soon turned against her. In the mirror, her face was suddenly frowning.

One more day…I still don’t know what to do. Itachi made it sound so easy…I wish I could talk to one of the boys about this…but they’d overreact…(sigh)

Sakura smoothed her skirt and started to walk downstairs. It was there that she met Ryouko walking up.

“Oh, uh, hi!” Ryouko said nervously. Sakura cocked her head.

“Good Morning, Ryouko. Is something wrong? You’re kinda red…fever?” Sakura asked, trying to figure out why her normally stoic friend was suddenly beet red.

“Well, actually, I…wanted to ask you something…” Ryouko muttered shyly. How does anyone do this regularly? I’ve never asked someone out before! How the hell does this work?!

“Hmm? Well, you can ask, don’t be shy!” Sakura encouraged the stammering boy with a smile. That, inadvertently, made the situation harder for Ryouko. Sakura’s smile made her more charming.

Ryouko took a deep breath. “Would you…like…to, uh, get some food?” Ryouko’s voice came out all at once, and fairly quickly, to the point where Ryouko wondered if his statement had been coherent.

Sakura was taken aback. He-he’s asking me out?!

Before she could fully process the question, Sakura had already replied.

“Sure, that sounds great! I’ll be ready in a minute!” Sakura darted back upstairs. Ryouko grabbed onto the railing of the old house; he was SURE he was going to wake up any second, or pass out. He HAD to be either drunk or sleepwalking.

For the mission…and for myself…right.

Ryouko nodded once, firmly, then walked downstairs once more.

--

Sakura’s delicate hands flew across the low dresser as she cut up some of this and some of that. She mixed it all up, and crushed it into a fine powder.

I hate to do this…but there might not be a choice…

A colorless, odorless powder. The same powder Tsunade had used on Jiraiya. This didn’t bode well for someone…but who?

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on June 7, 2008, 2:00:24 AM

hflp on
hflpWhat the hell is she planning to do? I've got a bad feeling about this.

andr28a on June 6, 2008, 10:44:11 PM

andr28a on
andr28aOh dear this could be a problem.
Great chapter can't wait for the next.