Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Legend's Mettle

Ryouko, now legendary, leaves Konoha with a heavy heart. His purpose and his girlfriend both taken from him, he's soon forced to confront a new fear from an old foe...

Chapter 4 - The Legend's Mettle

Chapter 4 - The Legend's Mettle
Ryouko had finished making food and drink enough to serve his ‘guests’. Not for the first time, Ryouko questioned his legendary status. Pushing that aside for the time being, Ryouko returned to his guests.

“It’s been a while since I left, hasn’t it? Has the Hidden Leaf changed very much?”

The Leaf Ninja exchanged uncomfortable glances.

“Well, uh, thing is, we can’t say what’s changed. Since you don’t live in the Village…” Shikamaru was strangely nervous for him. He was usually calm and collected, but found his confidence wavering. Especially at Ryouko’s acid, yet politely-toned response.

“Sounds no different from when I was living there…I didn’t hear news as a villager, so not much could have changed. If you’re all here, then no doubt that the Legendary Loser is still the Hokage…”

Again, the group gulped nervously. To use Tsunade’s nickname like that- it was unthinkable!

“How dare you insult the Hokage?!” Naruto snarled, standing up. Ryouko remained sitting at the head of the table, unconcerned. He looked up an Naruto, meeting Naruto’s glare with an even gaze.

“Relax, Naruto, I’m not insulting the position of Hokage; I hold that in the highest regard. My insult was directed at Tsunade herself. For obvious reasons. No offense meant, except to her…”

That settled Naruto down, which paved the way for Sakura to try her hand at asking a calmer question. Despite her admiration for Tsunade, Sakura was as smart as they came, and equally as understanding. Ryouko had a right to be angry, that much was evident.

“So what have you done with yourself for all this time?”

Ryouko looked at the Rain Jonin, who was sitting to his right. The Jonin nodded, and then Ryouko spoke up.

“Training. Being a legend has put a giant dartboard on my back, and any idiot with a kunai and something to prove has, and will continue, to attack me. Not to mention that one has to fight for one’s beliefs…” Ryouko’s face smoothed into a nostalgic look, though that was short lived.

“If I may ask all of you a question…It’s Tsunade herself who has sent you, no doubt. Has she given a reason for wanting my capture?”

Everyone looked to Shikamaru for this one. He nodded.

“She’s worried that you’ll betray the Leaf Village. And she doesn’t like to lose Shinobi, much less have them walk out on her. The high bounty on your head is to ensure that you’re returned to us alive. You have a lot of knowledge that no one wants to see die with you.”

Ryouko nodded gravely, pushing his food aside, and drinking from a second hip flask.

“I see…has she given any of you a reason why I left to begin with? I wouldn’t put it past Tsunade to just sic you on me without presenting you with reasoning as to why.” Judging by the looks he received, Ryouko had answered his own question.

“It’s said that if you’re unhappy with yourself, you can make no-one else happy. I don’t know if this is a truth, but I’m certainly unhappy with myself. Why talk the risk of making another’s life so miserable? Companionship with me is a weight, rather than a burden lifted. Or it used to be. I won’t lay claim to happiness, but I will say that I’ve grown. With it, the gap in my heart has grown. The Hidden Leaf will always be a soft spot for me, no matter what assassins are sent. But I can’t return. I would be forced to respect Tsunade, and acknowledge her as Hokage…I can’t do it. There isn’t much in the Hidden Leaf for me at any rate. No missions, and even less respect. All of you have grown stronger, and become the pride of Konoha. Just because I have no set home anymore doesn’t mean that I’ve grown deaf…”

Ryouko stood up from the table, and stepped over to a window.

“Answer me this: Are all of YOU happy?”

The Leaf Villagers couldn’t say they weren’t.

“Even if we are…that doesn’t mean we don’t want you to come home!” Sakura said quietly. Ryouko gave her a small smile.

“Time has passed me by. A ronin among Shinobi? Not very often do you see that…and it’s not often you see someone like me, who has nobody and nothing, except his training, to keep him vital…”

Ryouko’s tone suddenly turned more inviting.

“All of you are welcome to stay the night. I daresay I have plenty of room for all of you. You can resume attacking me in the morning, once you’ve rested.”

With Ryouko, you couldn’t tell if that was joking, or if that was biting wit. None of the Leaf Villagers had any great desire to camp out again. For some reason, except for Sasuke, they all felt they could trust Ryouko. And a soft bed could also soften a warrior’s outlook on the person offering it.

--

Pale moonlight bathing him, Ryouko stood alone. The window’s pattern was made of criss-crossed wooden ‘X’ shapes, filtering the moonlight to hit him in squares. A glass of a rare, blood-red wine in his hand, Ryouko kept staring out blankly, at nothing in particular. It reminded Ryouko of night in the Leaf Village. So many people around, yet he was lonely. Everyone else had their friends. Ryouko never DID fit in perfectly. Some still looked at him as an outsider, or a transplant. With Lady Tsunade against him, Ryouko would never fit in. Even though people liked him, Tsunade was their Hokage, their leader, the backbone of the village. If push came to shove, the people would protect the backbone, rather than a hand or foot.

The Rain Jonin decided to speak up after seeing Ryouko stare out the window for several minutes.

“Master Ryouko?” the Jonin asked quietly. He hadn’t known that the boy had become a REAL legend; he thought it was just a term people gave him. But it was official.

“I’m sorry. What is it?” Ryouko turned away from the window to face the Jonin. Right then, the Rain Jonin knew that something had bothered Ryouko. The boy looked even more dismal than before. His eyes were half-lidded, and he didn’t look like he had slept in two days. The Rain Jonin bowed his head.

“With all due respect, there’s something you haven’t told me…I know you came from the Leaf Village…why does the Hokage hate you? Our Raikage has heard of you, and even he respects you. The villagers have begun to lose their fear of you and your clan, you’ve been so gracious. What could Tsunade have against you?”

Ryouko looked around; everyone was asleep, and there was no one in the shadows. Absently flicking a match, Ryouko lit a candle, illuminating the large table that his jonin friend was sitting at. The flickering candle light made Ryouko’s skin seem even more pale somehow.

“There are two things…the first of which…I loved her apprentice. The kunoichi with the pink hair, Sakura. She was the first to be friendly to me, she healed my eye when it was torn to shreds…somewhere along the line, I became infatuated with her. Tsunade knew of this, and did what she could to keep us apart. I would never get the courage up to tell Sakura, and without Tsunade supporting us as a couple, to even tell her would be pointless, unless I wanted her to be miserable, too. But such is her heart that she risked that to train with me, when I taught forbidden arts. Tsunade only forbade them to get back at me. But NONE of this would have happened if she had never taken away my jonin rank and my position in Konoha’s Black Ops. After I lost my job, and my rank, I lost my respect for her, and, ultimately, myself…”

Ryouko looked thoughtful as his face began to harden.

“That’s when I was told that Sakura was kidnapped by Orochimaru. One thing my teacher, Lord 3rd, taught me was that everyone in the Leaf is family. And one thing a sensei, Kakashi, taught me, is that you don’t let your comrades die, no matter what. And that’s when I stumbled across a scroll called ‘The Moon Cycle Prophecy’, authored by the First Hokage…”

Ryouko reached into his tool pouch; this was one of three scrolls that he kept with him at all times. But it stood out against his white personal scroll, and his green-trimmed summoning scroll. It was blood red, tied with a black cord, and battered and faded, with yellow edges. The words inside were blood red, and seemed to bleed through the rice paper.

“A warrior that time has forgotten…” Ryouko recited the first sentence, then a little more, before explaining it.

“Basically, my ideals are long dead. I was fated to save Sakura, and I was fated to defeat Orochimaru. I sealed his soul, and that of his apprentice, inside two swords, which were lost in battle (Ryouko doesn’t know of their fate). The seal I used is a secret jutsu that only I can perform. But Sakura loved the apprentice, and, at her request, I released him. I couldn’t bear to see her unhappy…But this was what led to the last straw…”

Ryouko finished his wine, and immediately took a little more. After a long sip, and a slight bit of red under his cheeks, Ryouko had drained the glass, and continued to speak.

“There was a grand festival held, in honor of my defeating Orochimaru. I was declared a ‘legend’, the first of the next generation. But the party turned into a celebration of one of Konoha’s most celebrated sons returning, and on that night, he admitted his passion for Sakura. The Hokage acknowledged it, and the rest of the festival became dedicated to them. That was the night I left Konoha. I still had friends there, but the abuse, and…well, the, the jealousy I felt when I saw another man with the girl I loved…it became too much. Every man has his limit, and I had reached mine…”

The Rain Jonin couldn’t help but think “That poor son of a dog!”, despite Ryouko’s legendary status.

“I see…thank you for telling me, Master Ryouko. Will you be alright here tonight? I can stay…” The jonin mumbled; it was already so late. His wife would be angry, but it wasn’t every day one got to talk with a legend.

“No, it’s alright. Your family would enjoy seeing you. I’ll be fine here. Have a good night.” Ryouko nodded, then walked toward the giant marble stairs. Once he reached the first floor, he started to head toward his room, but decided that a little stargazing was in order tonight. The night had grown cold, so Ryouko absently grabbed his robe before finishing the walk up to the roof.

--

Sasuke, Sakura, Naruto, Shikamaru, and Lee stayed up late, talking in the largest room, which was at one end of the house. The room had become Shikamaru’s. That didn’t mean that it wasn’t scary as hell. If the house looked like a cemetery from the outside, then some rooms inside were just as ‘cheerful’. There was a strange crest emblazoned on Shikamaru’s headboard- two dragons crossed, stabbed by bones. The room was dark, which did little to make it look inviting. By questionable candlelight, the five discussed Ryouko late into the night, silencing themselves when they heard him walk by.

“He’s mentally stable…” Sakura reported.

“His body isn’t harmed…” Lee added.

“He’s gotten stronger…” Sasuke murmured.

“But there’s still something wrong!” Naruto exclaimed in frustration. “What do we do, Shikamaru?”

Shikamaru had been sitting quietly, fins fingers cupped at his waist. That always meant he was forming a plan. Slowly, he opened his eyes.

“We have three choices: Attack him all together, Call for backup and try to swarm him, or…we leave tomorrow, and tell Lady Tsunade that we either couldn’t find him, or that he fought us and we had to retreat.”

None of those seemed welcome options. No one wanted to admit they had failed a mission, and no one really wanted to attack Ryouko like that, there was that chance that he- or they- might be killed. Surprisingly, it was the number-one hyperactive, maverick, knuckle-headed ninja that came up with the winning idea.

“I’ve got it! We just need the right backup! And someone to stall Ryouko…”

Shikamaru nodded. “Lee and Sasuke need the rest…I’m half asleep…Naruto, you’re the only one with a fast summon…that leaves you, Sakura.”

Sakura nodded firmly, accepting a kiss on the cheek from Sasuke. At age eighteen, Sakura had matured (physically and mentally) some, but still had a charming innocence about her. That, and she was as smart as ever.

“Right, I’ll stall him, but hurry up Naruto!”

--

It was a rare night for Ryouko. Usually, a night not spend perfecting his techniques was a night wasted to him, but tonight marked a grim event for him. He was forced to come to terms with a past that he thought he had left in the grave. But it wouldn’t die! The past wouldn’t die. Ryouko wondered if maybe he didn’t WANT the past to die, at least not entirely. Moving on was one thing, killing the past quite another. Ryouko felt so much regret, though…

Defeated by his own thoughts, Ryouko stared at the full moon, not seeing anything. The moon reminded him of his past, and, ironically, the one thought that warmed him was the one night he and Sakura had shared in the temple. Granted, it had been akward, band inn the middle of a war, but Ryouko would never forget how it felt when Sakura told him that he made her feel safe, and then snuggled up to him. There hadn’t been more than a kiss shared between them, but this memory was special to Ryouko nonetheless. Getting it on in a temple was probably a one-way ticket to hell. But protecting someone you loved, that was about as pure as love could get. A willingness to do anything for that one person, to die for that one person.

And I did die, emotionally. Things haven’t been the same for me since. And every time I try to escape what happened, there’s some reminder that comes along and kicks me in the nuts. I wonder if I should just give in and go back to the Leaf…or would the pain worsen. I’m alone now, but If I went back to the Leaf, I’d still be alone, but I’d be surrounded by people, making the pain that much worse. I’ll never forget that night I sat on a roof, alone, studying, while everyone else met and went to look at the stars on Lone Pine Hill. I remember feeling regret…Now, some of that regret has been replaced by wondering- what if Sakura and I had fallen in love? More accurately, what if she loved me back?

At twenty-one, Ryouko felt his chances at dating were over. Sakura had to be near eighteen now. Tsunade was in her mid-fifties by now. Not that any of that mattered. Sakura was a taken girl, and who had taken her was better than Ryouko. Now that Sasuke had gotten a heart, Ryouko lost his advantage over Sasuke.

“Ryouko? Sakura called gently. She had to stop and smile at a familiar site. Ryouko in his robes, a wind tossing them, looking at the moon by himself. It was a common occurrence, or it used to be at any rate.

“It’s a beautiful night…” Sakura began, giving a slight nod to Naruto, who started to perform the summoning jutsu.

“It is. …” Ryouko didn’t seem to have anything else to say. His mind was still in the past, on the temple, the battle that ensued, and even on his treatment by Lady Tsunade.

Naruto nodded to Sakura, saying he had finished. Sakura returned the nod, noting that she had saw his signal. She still had one bone to pick with Ryouko.

“So…we get why you left, at least part of why you left. What I don’t understand- what pushed you over the edge like this? I mean, to become a hermit? Why not go to Sunagakure?

Ryouko had his eyes closed. “I needed to get away from my past, and Temari, Kankuro, and Gaara are a part of my past. I wanted a complete escape from everything. It worked, but not for long…”

Sakura wasn’t done yet. “What about what you wanted? To have a kunoichi? I mean, Tenten and Temari both liked you, and Tenten is available…”

Ryouko looked away, indicating that he didn’t want to talk about it anymore. “She and Neji have a thing. Most kunoichi in the Hidden Leaf do. Besides, I would hardly think bringing a girl into this mess I call a life would be fair to her. I’m going down, and she’d be going with me. Besides, there are other kunoichi, I’ll meet the right one someday, once I’ve sorted myself out.”

Sakura sighed. Since she had thought about Ryouko, it had become obvious to her that he wasn’t as much of a lost cause as he thought.

Some kunoichi in the Leaf Village messed with him…if I knew the dog that did it, I’d beat her face in! A shy, innocent, sweet boy like that is so rare! This girl never knew what she was throwing away. I’m surprised at Ryouko, though, it seemed like the only kunoichi he ever talked with was me…

“Well, okay Ryouko.”

“Good night, Sakura.”

--

Naruto’s summon had reached it’s target. Naruto had figured that it would take another legend to talk to Ryouko- Orochimaru was out, and Tsunade was DEFINITELY out. That left Jiraiya. And Jiraiya had an idea- present a challenge to Ryouko. Ryouko had never turned one down, and this one hit close to home with him. As they stood in the large field in front of Ryouko’s house, with woods on both sides, Jiraiya made his proposition:

“Okay then- a legend should be able to fend off three attackers at once without killing them, or even really attacking. Let’s see how you do against Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura! If you lose, you come back to the Leaf Village.”

Team Kakashi would be difficult. They had worked together, and they could read each other. But Ryouko also knew each one had a weakness. And Naruto’s was that he always attacked first, with Shadow Clones.

Sure enough: “Multi Shadow Clone Jutsu!”

There had to be two hundred Naruto’s! He wasn’t playing around.

Ryouko decided the time was right to try a new jutsu. Combining his “Larch Dance” with the Body Flicker Jutsu gave Ryouko the:

“Rose’s Thorn Dance!”

Ryouko had taken off his trench coat, and even his shirt, knowing it would get torn to shreds. His slight, martial-arts muscular frame jutted bones from everywhere. In the next instant, Ryouko was gone, and so were ten shadow clones. Then twelve more, then fifty more!

Ryouko appeared back in his starting position and threw a kunai laced with an explosive note. BOOM!

The remaining dozen clones rushed Ryouko. He leapt over the leg sweep attempted by four of the clones. The one above him, set to complete the “Uzumaki Barrage” became a weapon. Ryouko grabbed him by the leg and threw him down to the others, taking out all five. In the air, another clone jumped Ryouko. As soon as they hit the ground, Sasuke tore in with a Chidori. Ryouko threw his head backward into the clone, freeing himself in the process. Another Naruto clone tried to take it’s place, but Ryouko a Shadow Clone Jutsu himself. His two clones blocked Sasuke’s way, while Ryouko grabbed Naruto’s clone and spiked it into the ground.

“Guys, jump!” Sakura called to Naruto and Sasuke. She smashed the ground with her fist, forcing Ryouko to leap up to the side of his home, and then spring off, landing back on the ground. Sasuke and Naruto suddenly tore toward Ryouko. Ryouko had been staring at their clones!

“Chidori!”

“Rasengan!”

Ryouko spun to find both attacks getting near him. The combined power was cracking the earth, and Ryouko knew that surviving such incredible combined attacks was low. It was time to break out one of the Third Hokage’s Jutsus.

“Earth Style:…” Ryouko waited for just the right moment. Now! “MUD WALL!”

Ryouko spat out a layer of mud, which telescoped upward. But Ryouko had time it just right- Sasuke and Naruto’s hands were stuck! They both pulled, but couldn’t break free. That left one member unaccounted for.

“Painful Sky Leg!” Sakura came crashing down just inches from Ryouko as he rolled to the side. Sakura’s attack had an enormous crater that she and Ryouko were on opposite sides of.

Sakura looked Ryouko in the eyes as she made her move. “Summoning Jutsu!” Sakura didn’t summon Katsyuya for this occasion, but instead a medium-sized slug that still towered over Ryouko. Ryouko couldn’t use Shuurai here, the monstrous snake would take out half Ryouko’s property.

“Liquid Nirvana Jutsu!”

The slug spat out a thin stream of nearly clear liquid at Ryouko. Ryouko guessed from the name that Sakura had somehow tapped into the genjutsu called “Temple of Nirvana” and learned the theory, then bottled it.

Setting fire to this stuff might be a bad idea…I’d better go the safer route…

“Summoning Jutsu! Umisu, Water Wall!” Four geysers of water sprang up around Ryouko, giving him a wall of protection from the liquid genjutsu. As he tried to figure out his next move, Ryouko noticed a kunai hitting one of the walls. With alarm, he also noticed that this kunai came with an exploding tag attached.

Sasuke! Of course! He still has one hand free. Naruto’s hands are trapped, since he was using one arm to use the Rasengan, and the other to steady that arm. But the Chidori only requires one hand. Damn, I’ve gotta get out of here! Replacement Jutsu!

BLAM-SPLOOSH!

The water-wall exploded.

“Holy hell! Sasuke, that was overkill! This isn’t a killing exercise!” Naruto shouted.

“On your guards, there’s no body!” Sasuke shouted back. He had been aiming to kill. That’s why it was the ultimate insult to find a bone at his neck, it’s tip and side deadly sharp. Ryouko was standing behind him, also trapping Sasuke’s other arm.

“I win, stop attacking,” Ryouko murmured dryly. He hated doing this, fighting his ‘friends’.

“This isn’t over! Chidori: One Thousand Birds Current!” Sasuke shouted, forcing Chakra from his body. The mud conducted the electricity, giving Sasuke a boost even though he was trapped. This jutsu sent a shock through Sasuke’s body, and to anyone touching it. If Ryouko hadn’t grabbed his arm, he wouldn’t have been hurt by the jutsu. But it was too late for that. Ryouko was sent flying, through three trees, his bare back getting cut all to hell. When he stopped moving, Ryouko saw that Sakura was freeing Naruto and Sasuke. They were definitely in the opening stages of an attack. Unfortunately for Ryouko, one tree had fallen on top of him, not injuring him further, but pinning him to the ground, leaving only his right arm and half of his upper body free.

“It’s over…loser.”

Ryouko’s eyes narrowed at the insult from Sasuke. When they were comrades, Ryouko would have shrugged it off. When Sasuke said it to Naruto, it was ‘brotherly love’. But when it was an obvious insult, Ryouko took offense. Pretending to try to pry the tree off himself, Ryouko touched his bloodied back. He pretended to fall back, exhausted. In reality, Ryouko’s bloody palm had been his saving grace. As he ‘fell backward’, Ryouko was actually using a summoning jutsu.

“Adamantine Yoi: Prison!”

Ryouko had all three trapped in a cage made of something harder than diamond, using the Third Hokage’s summon, Enma, in his staff form. Enma also used an arm, formed from the staff, to pull the tree off Ryouko.

“Seedling Fern Dance!” Ryouko put his hands to the ground. All around the cage, for some meters in each direction, a forest of bones popped up, isolating the cage. Now escape was almost impossible. In the cramped cage, handsigns were out, unless you elbowed someone in the face. That, and Enma could extend an arm out and trap your arms. At Ryouko’s tired nod, Enma did just that.


“Alright, I’ve seen enough!” Jiraiya stopped the fight, even though there was most likely an escape for Team Kakashi. Jiraiya threw an arm around Ryouko.

“You’ve proved your mettle as a legend. Those three are no slouches, and maybe you had a little bit of luck on your side, with that kekkaigenkai of yours, but that was a great fight. Even though they DID free themselves from your prison…”

Ryouko spun to find all three members of Team Kakashi standing a few meters away, looking glum. The loss angered Sasuke so much that he attacked one more time, this time with his Kusanagi.

Ryouko didn’t have time to yank a bone out of his shoulder. Instead, he used the dregs of his chakra to harden the bones on the side of Sasuke’s strike, and tried to block with a kunai. Sasuke’s Kusanagi couldn’t be blocked blade to blade, and it went right through Ryouko’s blade, and into his body.

CRACK!

The Kusanagi hit Ryouko in the ribs. Sasuke’s swing had DEFINITELY been for real. Ryouko finally couldn’t take it:

“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU HAVE AGAINST ME?!” he demanded, yelling. Sasuke glared back, but murmured his reply:

“I don’t like to lose, it’s humiliating. You nearly ruined my life. But I got you back, didn’t I?” Sasuke was right near Ryouko, so close no one else could hear them.

“I’ve got Sakura…” Sasuke said with a nasty smirk.

--

“Master Jiraiya? I’ve got one more idea…” Shikamaru nodded towards Ryouko, who was sagging with exhaustion.

“Shadow Possession Jutsu!” Shikamaru’s shadow snared Ryouko’s, and Ryouko was trapped! But that didn’t seem to register with him All heard, over and over, was Sasuke’s words.

I have Sakura…

He’s using her to get back at me?! That miserable bastard, how could he use such a sweet, innocent creature? And now I’m trapped by this damn shadow! This REALLY pisses me of! Sorry Shikamaru, but it’s time for you to let go!

Ryouko didn’t do anything, but Shikamaru suddenly let go of the jutsu, a hand over his heart in pain.

“Do you understand? That’s what I have to with. That pain. Every day, almost every waking moment.”

Slowly, everyone’s gaze turned back to Ryouko. He had pulled his shirt back on, and put his robe over it. He had fallen to one knee, exhausted and hurt from the fight, but not harmed severely.

“No one can hope to understand. The only thing my relationships with people have done is make things more painful! I left the Leaf to seek relief from that pain, even temporary relief! I’m sorry to make you fail your mission, but give your Hokage this scroll, from me. It should transfer her anger from you to me. It’s the least I can do. Same village, different village, we’re still comrades. Fighting for what we believe in…I can respect that.”

Ryouko gave a curt nod, then walked away. The thought of failing had set in on the Leaf group, but even worse, they felt like they had failed twice- once for Lady Tsunade, and once for Ryouko.

“Let’s go home, we made the required effort.”

Shikamaru’s statement was correct, but it was still with a heavy heart that everyone left.

--

The Rain Jonin stood by Ryouko as he began to pack up his stuff. After placing several vicious genjutsus around the house, Ryouko finally fitted an old brass key into the lock on the door, and gave it a turn, locking up the giant, forbidding house.

“Will you be back?” The Jonin asked earnestly.

Ryouko nodded. “I will. This home and land belong to me. And the people here have been so great. It means more than most could understand…Thank you for everything. I hate to leave, but I need to, at least for a few months, to give Tsunade the slip.”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on June 24, 2008, 10:44:17 PM

hflp on
hflpIncredible Chapter. This is your best work by far. Keep it going.