Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Months Fourteen to Twenty-Three

Ryouko, now legendary, leaves Konoha with a heavy heart. His purpose and his girlfriend both taken from him, he's soon forced to confront a new fear from an old foe...

Chapter 5 - Months Fourteen to Twenty-Three

Chapter 5 - Months Fourteen to Twenty-Three
(Fourteen Months)

“Master Ryouko, have you time enough for this old woman’s ramblings?”

Ryouko, robes on and pack on his back, looked over his shoulder. The old woman who had first ‘welcomed’ him to the Rain Village was peering up at him. Ryouko had wanted to exit quickly to avoid anyone else Tsunade might send, but he couldn’t find it in his heart to deny the old woman.

“I always have time for your wisdom, Elder,” he replied with a smile. Ryouko normally wore his mask while traveling, but his body had taken quite a pounding, as had his psyche. A chakra cigarette clenched in his mouth, and a hip flask full of sake, Ryouko wanted to heal himself as quickly as he could, in case he met any resistance on his travels. Now that Tsunade could track him somewhat, it was more of a ‘when’ than an ‘if’.

The old woman didn’t say anything, but beckoned with her head that Ryouko should follow her. Out of morbid curiosity (emphasis on morbid), Ryouko followed her to a garden. It was obvious that it had been expensive, and designed by a professional, with fountains and plants from other villages all over. A thick wooden fence separated the garden from the rest of the world. In the center there was a thick stone table, carved with ornate designs around the edges. Upon closer inspection, Ryouko noticed that the carvings were lions. Two had their mouths closed, two had their mouths open. Ryouko knew the lions were symbols of good luck. The two that had their mouths closed were sucking in bad luck, and the two with their mouths open were exhaling good luck. Ryouko made a mental note to see if his luck changed here. If it did, he resolved to buy those lions and maybe start believing in the legend that surrounded them.

Surrounded by flowers Ryouko didn’t know, he sat down on one of the benches as the Elder indicated. She immediately stared into his eyes with an unblinking glare. It didn’t take her long to make her first observation.

“You have much mental baggage that is starting to take a physical toll…” the elder stated. It wasn’t a question. Ryouko nodded his agreement.

“That’s right. The stress of running from my past is becoming tiresome. The ‘past’ attacked me, in the form of my old Leaf friends…”

The woman shook her head and put up a hand to stop Ryouko.

“Superficial thinking is of nothing to one’s spirit, Master Ryouko…” she said airily. Then, suddenly, she grabbed one of Ryouko’s hands. Turning it over to see the palm, the woman nodded gravely.

“The past has become such a burden…are you familiar with this line on your hand?” The elder pointed to the one she meant. Ryouko looked closely; he was no student of palmistry or anything of the kind. It was interesting, and could benefit the right people, Ryouko guessed. But it just wasn’t him. He preferred to leave the future a mystery.

“I think that’s the life line…and that one, it’s the love line…” Ryouko indicated which lines he meant with his other hand.

The elder gave a gummy smile. “That’s right! Now compare the two lines. What do you notice?”

Ryouko looked at his hand. He had never really studied them before, at least not seriously. So he was vaguely shocked that his love line was longer than his life line. And the life line looked irritated; it was red, and Ryouko hadn’t injured his hand lately.

“How is that possible?” Ryouko asked, already knowing that the woman would know what he was referring to.

The Elder’s smile had vanished. When she spoke, it was mysteriously, but also chilling. Looking into Ryouko’s hazel eye, her weathered, creased mouth said words that shook Ryouko to the core:

“If you do not mend the breaks of the past shortly, your time on this earth grows short. How short, I cannot determine…but a word of advice-Do not use the Shikotsumyaku.”

Ryouko’s mouth dropped open. His chakra cigarette fell on his hand, burning it, and sending him back to reality. He shook his head to clear the cobwebs, then slowly forced himself to look the Elder in the eyes.

“I’m dying? And the…this is how Kimimaro perished. The ShikotsuMyaku was the cause?” Ryouko was trying not to panic, although that was his first instinct. Why SHOULDN’T he panic?

“It is a deadly blood line for both those who use it, thought equally those that are the target of it. Should the ability lie dormant, the disease may lay dormant as well…”

Ryouko had gone more pale than usual, but at least he knew what not to do. And he had a measure of closure for Kimimaro’s death. After thanking the Elder, Ryouko rose and left the Rain Village, on his way to his next destination.

Wherever that was.

--

Tsunade had woken up this morning with a small headache. That grew now as she started to shout, absolutely livid at the group of normally capable warriors in front of her.

“HOW THE HELL CAN FIVE OF YOU HAVE FAILED TO CAPTURE ONE MAN?!” she roared, pounding her desk.

“Listen Grandma,” Naruto began with a snarl, but Sakura quickly clamped a hand over his mouth, stopping him from committing a veritable suicide.

“Don’t piss her off, Naruto! You don’t want to get her mad!” Sakura dragged Naruto away, to force him to calm down.

“He gave us this scroll to give to you,” Shikamaru muttered, holding out the scroll to Tsunade, who snatched it from his hand and tore it open. It contained three words:

Don’t blame them/.

Tsunade bunched the scroll up and threw it into the trash can beside her desk, and then started to massage her temples to calm down. Though she hated Ryouko with a passion, his honesty was never a question mark.

“Well, all of you did your best, I’m sure. Even FINDING that little bastard must have been hard…alright, I’ll consider this a mission passed. But he’ll be getting a visit…you may go.”

-
(Three days pass)

“No one there, my lady,” Genma said sullenly.

“Not even a trace, or a trail!” Raito added. Both were kneeling before Tsunade, hoping their submissiveness would help them escape her wrath. To their immense relief (and surprise), Tsunade dismissed them silently.

--

||FALL|| (16 months since his departure)

It was four monthes into the new year now, making it sixteen months since Ryouko had left the Hidden Leaf Village. Save for his friends, and the stories that followed every legend, Ryouko was forgotten. It was practically Tsunade’s mandate that Ryouko’s name not be uttered in the Hidden Leaf Village. No one dared say anything else, although most secretly harbored a liking for the boy that had grown into the legend.

“The Leaf Village is quiet today…kind of a nice change…” Tsunade turned her head to look at Shizune, who hadn’t answered. Instead, Shizune seemed preoccupied, looking out the window, ignoring the work in front of her. Tsunade was worried by this behavior, and decided to put it to the test.

“I can’t remember the last time I went out drinking…or gambling. Maybe I’ll go indulge myself...Come on, Shizune.” Tsunade got up to leave the room, but Shizune hadn’t followed, or even made any indication that she had heard Tsunade.

“Shizune, let’s go!” Tsunade stamped her heel, this time succeeding in earning Shizune’s attention. But her answer wasn’t what Tsunade expected.

“I’m really not feeling up to it, Lady Tsunade. Maybe Sakura could escort you today? I need some time to myself.” Shizune still had turned around to face Tsunade; she just kept looking at the ground below from the window behind Tsunade’s desk.

Tsunade was perplexed, but persisted. “Come on, getting out will do you good. Worrying yourself over the village like this, not even thinking of yourself, it’s just not healthy, you’re going to make yourself sick. Now, let’s go!” Tsunade moved her hand, as though to put it on Shizune’s shoulder, but Shizune moved away from the gesture. This surprised Tsunade; Shizune had never acted like this before.

“I’m sorry, M’Lady, but I can’t go,” Shizune said firmly. “I’m taking my day off right now. Have a safe trip.” POOF!, and Shizune had disappeared.

Tsunade stared at where Shizune had been standing, but no longer looked confused.

So she’s still worried for Ryouko, is she? And that crack about Sakura going with me…I guess I had that coming. But Shizune must feel strongly about this, she never stands up to me like this. Did she see something about Ryouko’s actions that I didn’t? Or is it just concern?

Tsunade had been kidding about going gambling, but now she felt as though she needed the break. Taking up her suitcase full of money and donning her green jacket, Tsunade left her office to try to relax and forget about the situation at hand.

--

Ryouko, staying in a small village outside the Beach Village, Hamagakure, pored over his scrolls again. Most jutsus that the Third Hokage had used were now second nature to the rapidly-developing Ryouko. When your entire life was study, you progressed quickly. Ryouko wouldn’t have had this luxury in the Leaf Village, at least not undisturbed like this. But Ryouko would be lying if he said that, after nearly 17 monthes, he didn’t miss the Leaf Village. Granted, things would be different if he returned; everyone would be older, and maybe the Village itself would be changed somehow.

“HELP! PLEASE! OH GOD, SOMEONE HELP!!!”

Ryouko immediately snapped to attention. A young woman, maybe in her earlier twenties, was yelling for help. Around her were ten rough-looking men. Every one of them had lust in their eyes. Wearing only a purple bikini, the woman had garnered some unwanted attention.

Ryouko made hand signs after he had created a small cut on his thumb, and smashed his hand into the ground.

“Summoning Jutsu!” he shouted. There was a poof, but nothing!

Damn! The Striking Serpent Blades…they were the reason I could summon Shuurai…without them, I can’t summon him! This worried Ryouko, but he had to focus on the problem at hand. Being near a beach, Ryouko quickly ascertained his advantages. Water and sand were at his disposal, but little else.

“Water Clone Jutsu!” Ryouko took off across the beach. He had removed his robe to allow it to be cleaned, so he was clothed in a black jumpsuit. His mask was being cleaned as well, so his mouth was clearly visible. It couldn’t be helped now.


“What the hell? Water Clones?! When the hell did a Shinobi show up?!” the men began to question each other. Unknowingly, that was perfect- it gave Ryouko the opportunity to reach the young lady himself.

“Go on and run somewhere safe, I’ll take care of this!” Ryouko told the woman.

“Thank you so much!” the girl exclaimed, running off as fast as she could.

With their target gone, the ten men aimed for Ryouko.

“You ruined our little party! I think we’ll kill you for that! Right boys?!” the biggest and fattest, whom Ryouko assumed was the leader, shouted boisterously. His nine cronies shouted their agreement.

“Your guest of honor didn’t want to attend,” Ryouko murmured. He pulled his chakra cigarette from his mouth, getting ready to make his move.

“It was none of your business! NOW you’re going to pay!”

Ryouko suddenly kicked sand upward into the goon in front’s face. With his left hand, Ryouko punched him, knocking him down into the sand. From behind, Ryouko was grabbed in a full nelson. Not even bothering with a replacement jutsu, Ryouko let his upper body go limp as he ducked, breaking the grip that the attacker had. Throwing a hard elbow into the larger man’s sternum, Ryouko finished him off by sweeping his legs and punching him in the stomach, making the man’s meeting with the sand a painful one. He was lucky if his ribs weren’t broken.

Ryouko jammed his cigarette backward over his shoulder, into the eye of an oncoming attacker. Dropping the tainted chakra enhancer, Ryouko collared the man around the neck and threw him into two other enemies.

“Dragon’s Ember Jutsu!” Ryouko added, to take care of the last four attackers. He aimed his jutsu at the sand, which heated up to a high temperature very quickly, sending all four men leaping into the water for relief. That effectively ended both the fight and Ryouko’s stay with the small village. Before he left, though, Ryouko looked to the end of the beach.

It’s so peaceful…the sound of the water, and the glistening sand…it’s the opposite of the turmoil inside me…This beach is said to perform miracles…some force making lovers come together…it must not work for me, I don’t feel any love…only pain…or nothing at all…

Most hated to leave Hamagakure and the surrounding towns. Between the hot springs and the beach, it was paradise. Ryouko, however, left without a second thought.

--

^SPRING^ (20 months since his departure)

So many birthdays had come and gone. Sakura and Sasuke had each celebrated their eighteenth. Naruto was now seventeen, and showing signs of maturing. His hair had grown longer, and Naruto tended to leave his sideburns longer. Today, Naruto, now a chunin, met with all his teachers to celebrate his birthday.

“Seventeen, huh? It’s hard to believe I’ve known you for so long Naruto! I guess I can’t call you a trouble-making little brat anymore!” Iruka knew that it was a teacher’s greatest sadness, while at the same time being their greatest joy, to see their students meet and surpass their instructors.

Naruto, around a mouthful of ramen, was eerily reminiscent of his old self. He had gotten stronger, and had changed a little bit, but he was still a boisterous youth with energy to spare, and then some.

“That’s right, Iruka-sempai! Heh, man, I was such a monster! I don’t know how you and old man Third put up with me! Or even you, Kakashi-sensei!”

Kakashi was reading the latest in the Makeout series. He hadn’t changed a bit.

“Well, it wasn’t easy Naruto, but a true teacher can look past the weaknesses of a student in order to harness his true strength. You really have grown…” Kakashi gave up talking, as Naruto was demanding another bowl, and not paying any attention anyway.

I don’t give compliments often, and of course this knucklehead chooses not to listen the one time I DO compliment him. He hasn’t changed THAT much.

“Hey, hey, Pervy Sage!”

Jiraiya shushed Naruto. “Don’t call me that in public, you’ll scare off my research subjects!”

“Yeah, whatever, you dirty old perv. Listen, now that I’ve got the Rasengan down pat, how about teaching me some tricks with Gamabunta?! I mean, if I’m going to be Hokage when Grandma Tsunade finally hangs it up, I’ve got to be really strong, right?”

Naruto’s three teachers exchanged glances. All three gazes said the same thing: SON

Same Old Naruto.

-- (21 monthes)--

A scant month later, Rock Lee, fresh off his promotion to jonin, became one of the first to be able to open seven of the eight gates of chakra. His taijutsu had rivaled that of his sensei, Gai, to the point where they could train together nearly endlessly.

Tenten, while still a chunin, became a weapons instructor at the academy. Shikamaru, while in a teaching position, had discovered that students who received weapons experience before reaching genin level matured faster as Shinobi. The Leaf Village still hadn’t recovered all it’s strength after the Third Hokage’s death, but they were still on the road to recovery nonetheless. More Shinobi would certainly be welcome. And Ino, to everyone’s surprised, agreed with Shikamaru enough to run a pre-academy program for budding Shinobi and kunoichi. She was surprisingly good with children, and now that she had put on a little weight and didn’t look like the next gust of wind was going to take her away, she was surprisingly attractive.

Kiba had also been promoted to Jonin. His squad mates, Hinata and Shino, seemed content as Chunin. When asked his opinion, Shino simply said “better a strong chunin than a weak jonin.” This was no reflection on Kiba. His actions were rash, but his tracking abilities and natural instincts were impressive by anyone’s standards. Coupled with Hinata’s Byakugan, and Shino’s surprising prowess in combat and quiet wisdom, they were also complimented by Kurenai’s genjutsu.

Everyone in the Hidden Leaf had begun to find their place. The fire that the Third Hokage spoke of before he died was indeed alive and burning brightly. It was a veritable paradise for all who dwelled there. In a time of prosperity and peace, little thought was given to the problems of the past, or even the heroism of the Shinobi that had come before.

--(23 months)--

Orochimaru still hadn’t grown completely used to his new body. He had returned to his old appearance, and tried to make this body as comfortable as he could. It always took some getting used to when he used his forbidden jutsu to take over another body. But Orochimaru had rapidly grown restless. An egotist, Orochimaru wasn’t satisfied with only being alive- he wanted people to know about his glorious return. And, of course, he wanted revenge.

“Lord Orochimaru? It’s time for your medication.” Kabuto walked into the room, holding out a pill for Orochimaru. Orochimaru’s tongue snared it out of his hand. Kabuto used to throw a look of disgust at this, but was so used to it he simply didn’t register it anymore.

“Such a foul taste…” Orochimaru commented, though he was smirking. Kabuto knew that something was going on in Orochimaru’s head. Had Kabuto not been the one to bring Orochimaru back, he would have been more concerned.

“Without it, your chakra won’t completely return. You’ll only need these pills for another month, then you’ll be at full strength again,” Kabuto reminded his master. Orochimaru’s face hadn’t changed. That smirk always meant something was about to happen.

Of course, I’m the one who has to break the news to him…

“Lord Orochimaru, you inquired about the Kaguya boy…” Kabuto held up a Shinobi card, reading it aloud.

“His potential has maxed out in Genjutsu, while his Ninjutsu is very powerful. Taijutsu is his weakest point, but not by much. Taking into account his second chakra, and his bloodline, the Shikotsu Myaku (Corpse Bone Pathways)…this makes him more dangerous than the Third Hokage. In his prime, the Third would have been stronger, but Ryouko isn’t done growing yet…”

Orochimaru finished the bitter pill, his displeasure registering on his pasty-white face.

“Then we shall see to it that the boy never reaches his full potential! The time to kill him is now, before he can fully mature. In the same swoop, I can destroy the Hidden Leaf!” Orochimaru finally revealed what his smirk had been about. Immediately, Kabuto had to speak up; this was too big to just ignore as one of Orochimaru’s ‘schemes’. This went beyond a scheme.

“Lord Orochimaru, that’s suicide! Two of the Sannin live in the Leaf Village, and they have more Shinobi, and those Shinobi are of a high quality. Besides, I’ve further information that the one you aim to destroy no longer resides in the Hidden Leaf…” Kabuto finished and pushed his glasses back into place, higher up on his nose. Apparently, Orochimaru wasn’t impressed with the news.

“Enough, Kabuto! Even if Ryouko isn’t in the village, he will be…ha ha ha, it’s just a matter of leverage. The village he loves so much, that he swore he would protect with every drop of blood, every ounce of sweat…when it begins to buckle under our attack, he’ll come. And then I’ll finally take my revenge on him!”

Kabuto was skeptical. “He DID defeat you, Lord Orochimaru. He was cunning two years ago. If he’s evaded arrest for two years, he must be even smarter and stronger. And what little we know about Ryouko is centered about his study habits. He’s never without a scroll, and his training is endless.”

“Kabuto, do you trust me?” Orochimaru demanded. Kabuto stammered, momentarily tripping over his words, but bowed his head.

“Of course, Lord Orochimaru.”

Orochimaru’s smile widened further yet. “Then you’ll have no problem trusting me. I know the legend of his two swords…or, rather, my two swords. THIS time, he’ll have no annoying snake at his disposal, and the Haruno girl’s ‘Pure Soul Resurrection’ Jutsu will be canceled out by my revision of the Impure Soul Resurrection. While my chakra was returning, I studied, and I’ve learned how to counter it. The advantages that defeated me last time won’t be available to Ryouko.”

Orochimaru got to ‘his’ feet, and walked around, trying to get used to this new body, which was very tall and slender, though it was nearly in his image now. Only the feet still resisted Orochimaru’s jutsu. But it would give in. If the head suffers, so must the hands and feet.

“Two years trapped in that blade, Kabuto…my mind was free…and I put the time to good use. When my chakra returns, the time will be right to make our move on the Hidden Leaf, and therefore, on Ryouko…”

Orochimaru drew the Striking Serpent Blades, smiling at the marvelous metal work. Orochimaru ran his hand down blade, when his fingers suddenly burned. He dropped the sword, but snakes came from the handle and grabbed Orochimaru’s wrist.

“Magnificent…his damn seal still burns my flesh, but even it is fading. Interesting that a cursed seal could break this unknown seal…”

Kabuto looked at the flickering candle in the corner. “Actually, Lord Orochimaru, it took several cursed seals to finally break it. The twelfth seal sacrificed was the one that released you.”

Orochimaru put the swords away. “They’re only lives, Kabuto. Lives of inconsequential existence. The only existence that matters is my own. That is why I must destroy my enemies. Don’t worry, though, Kabuto- for being by my side, you will be handsomely rewarded. Maybe I’ll let you run what remains of the Hidden Leaf. But I warn you now- I will be the one to kill the Kaguya boy. You are not to touch him. Do you understand, Kabuto?”

Kabuto bowed his head in submission and thanks. “I understand, Lord Orochimaru.”

Orochimaru smiled again, licking his newest swords with his long tongue. “Very good. Just a month more, Kabuto, and the Hidden Leaf shall fall!”

--

(Friday, the thirteenth day of the 23rd month)

Ryouko arrived in Tanzaku town, ready to try his hand at some gambling, and even some good sake. He had lived so carefully, the thought that he may be slowly dying from some damn disease really bugged him. As Ryouko stripped to enter the hot spring, he looked at his hand while pulling off a glove.

Still irritated…damn it. Maybe the hot spring will help, they’re supposed to have healing abilities…

Ryouko slid into the warm water, thankful that he was alone. Turning twenty-two in twelve days time hadn’t given him less modesty. Although travel had made his body perfectly fit without being showoffy, Ryouko still never even took off his shirt without the utmost caution.

My birthday has done little to soothe my nerves…twenty-two…one year closer to my body quitting on me…if I even have that long left. I haven’t used the Shikotsumyaku, but having that disease inside me is unnerving. Is this something I would have passed on to my children, or my wife? That matters not…I don’t have either, and I’m certain I never will.

Ryouko looked at his hand again. The red had stopped spreading, and was receding a little. Not bad for Friday the Thirteenth. For some reason, that reminded Ryouko that it had been almost two years since he had left the Hidden Leaf.

Eighteen days and I’ll have been gone for two years. I’m really starting to miss that place…

Ryouko had to shove those thoughts aside. Two people had just come in and, while not recognizing Ryouko, had an interesting story to tell…

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on June 26, 2008, 11:19:31 PM

hflp on
hflpCool. Keep it up.