Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Return to the Hidden Leaf

Ryouko, now legendary, leaves Konoha with a heavy heart. His purpose and his girlfriend both taken from him, he's soon forced to confront a new fear from an old foe...

Chapter 6 - Return to the Hidden Leaf

Chapter 6 - Return to the Hidden Leaf
“Have you heard the news, Hiromaru?”

“No, Boku, not this news, at any rate. The last I heard, he had fled…”

Ryouko sat silently in the steam-filled water while two men talked. One was short and balding, while the other was tall but thin and had thick black hair on his head. Something urged him to be wary of this conversation and what was said. For once, having everyone reason to follow his intuition, Ryouko closed his eyes as though asleep to augment his hearing.

“I’ve heard that…he has risen again…” the one called ‘Boku’ said in a hushed tone.

“He? He, who?” Hiromaru asked, not sure what his friend meant.

“Orochimaru. The Third of the Sannin. The one fell by the Kaguya boy, from the Hidden Leaf.”

Ryouko’s eyes opened, despite his plans to just listen.

No…it can’t be! How could he have escaped! He was sealed, all but dead! Ryouko forced himself to calm down and listen to the rest of the story.

“No shoot? That kid had better watch his back. I mean, getting lucky against Orochimaru once…” Hiromaru muttered.

“I heard that he was…destined…” Boku continued. “Something about a scroll from the leader of the Hidden Leaf…No one knows exactly how Orochimaru ‘died’ either…I don’t think he was human enough to die…”

Hiromaru whistled. “Wow. This is bad news. Even if our Village isn’t targeted…Orochimaru’s gonna be out for blood!”

Boku bowed his head. “There was one last thing I heard…about the moon. My cousin lived in Otogakure. He said the moon turned blood red. The Kaguya boy is the one who rescued his family. My cousin watched some of the fight as he ran, and he said it seemed as though the boy moved as though not of this world…so fluid, he was untouchable by Orochimaru’s demons. (Boku shakes his head) I can’t say I’d care to see any of this, no matter how capable the boy is…”

“Man. He’s nearly twenty-two, isn’t he? If he survived. All I heard was that he disappeared from his home village two years ago…” Hiromaru hadn’t paid as much attention. Maybe if he ignored Orochimaru, Orochimaru wouldn’t bother him?

“That’s true. No one’s heard about him, save for some scattered people who claim to have been helped by him. More likely his ghost than him, if he tangled with Orochimaru. Surely if Orochimaru died, the Kaguya boy had to have given his life as well…”
Ryouko couldn’t take anymore. Using a silent transformation, he appeared to be an older man, decidedly unthreatening.

“I beg your pardon…I overhead the slightest bit of your conversation. I had hoped you might include me…” Ryouko bowed.

“And what interest have you in this topic, Elder?” Boku asked in a rather accusatory way. Ryouko made sure to smile.

“I was not always old, young man. I once valued bravery on the battlefield as much as I valued my life. In my waning years, to hear such a story…One can’t deny that Orochimaru is fascinating…”

“Boku, let the Elder join, he will harm no-one!” Hiromaru nodded and smiled. “Boku was just explaining what he had heard. It sounds almost like a hellish fairy tale, does it not?”

“Oh, indeed. No doubt that was part of my fascination. My son was claimed by the dark arts…” Ryouko said, hoping that this would earn him enough merit, or at least sympathy, to hear more. Boku, thrilled by the attention, continued immediately.

“I’ve heard that Orochimaru has returned, and is wielding two swords of untold power. Not the Kusanagi, but two swords forged long ago. It’s said…” Boku looked around, to make sure that there was no-one else around to overheard. “…It’s said that the swords bring forth a giant snake summon, among other powers. There is said to be only one sword in existence that can brave the two…”

Without thinking, Ryouko said “Suitoru…”

The two men looked over at him, shocked.

“How did you know, Elder?” Boku wanted to know. Ryouko forced himself to look rueful.

“My golden years were spent in pursuit of that blade. I fear it may never be found. I dedicated my life to it, only coming to this town for my final years, be they one or one hundred!” Ryouko added the last part with a chuckle.

“If you’ll excuse me, my old bones are beginning to cook in here!” Ryouko bowed to the two men, then exited the bath.

-

Ryouko dressed quickly, and, after a moment’s thought, put on his monk’s robe. But the robe had been hurt in combat throughout the years. To augment it’s protection, Ryouko added his sleeveless trench coat, a black one with the Kaguya symbol on the back, tucked under his robe. If the crest were seen, it would give away who he was. That left one more thing, though Ryouko couldn’t access it yet.

Suitoru…the absorption blade…had the samurai’s son not passed it on to me as a gift, I would hold no cards against Orochimaru. Without my kekkaigenkai, this will be an uphill battle. I’m positive that Orochimaru will return to the Leaf to destroy me. So I must do it…I must swallow my pride and return after some last preparation.

--

In the baths, Boku suddenly bent over, as if ill.

“Boku? What’s wrong, what happened?!” Hiromaru waded over to his friend, shocked to see his skin peeling off.

“Oh, don’t look so surprised!”

Hiromaru nearly swallowed his tongue in shock. That voice..

“Orochimaru?!”

Orochimaru, who had exited Boku’s body, smiled. “That’s right. How else would I know so much about…me. Or my ‘death’. Hiromaru, was it? Of the Amakatsu clan?”

Hiromaru nodded and bowed. But it wouldn’t save him this day.

“I’m afraid I said more than I should have. Don’t worry…you’ll get a second chance at life!”

Hiromaru’s head rolled away, as Orochimaru held two familiar swords.

“The end is near, Ryouko Kaguya! That pitiful disguise didn’t fool me! We WILL clash once more, but this time, it is YOU history will remember as the failure!”

--

(Two Years)

Ryouko opened his eyes. He had done all he could to heal himself, but his life line remained shorter than his love line, and inflamed. The red had dulled, but not disappeared. As the old woman said, when Ryouko used the Shikotsumyaku, the red enlarged. No cures were to be found, though at the same time, Ryouko wasn’t going to die from the disease unless he used his kekkaigenkai.

It’s been two years today…it’s time to return to the Hidden Leaf, and warn them. I already know they won’t believe me…damn it…Why am I tired…There’s too much left to do…I cannot rest until this is over!

Ryouko took off at top speed, reaching the nearby Leaf gates in just shy of an hour. Ryouko had camped just far enough away so as not to draw himself, but not so far that he couldn’t be in the Hidden Leaf before it fell.

It’s presumptuous of me to think they’ll just fall if I’m not among their ranks…but this prophecy has concerned me from the start, I need to assume the worst…And deal with the worst. Tsunade…Perhaps I need the aid of a friend…there remains only one who can influence the Lady…

Ryouko zipped past the gate guards, who barely noticed him.

“Always in a rush, they’ve got so many missions these days!”

“Yeah, I almost wish we got some missions ourselves, aside from sitting here…”

--

“My Lady!” Sakura ran into the room, looking scared as hell.

“Sakura? What is it?!” Tsunade asked. Shizune perked up as well.

“It’s Ryouko! He’s back! Sasuke is fighting him right now!”

“He’s…returned? Damn it! I’m going!” Tsunade started to get up, but Shizune pushed her back down.

“No, my Lady. You and him don’t respond well to each other. If he’s come here, you know very well what it must mean! Put your hatred aside and work with him! I’ll talk to him. Sakura, you see that she stays here!”

Shizune ran off, while Sakura and Shizune stood in stunned silence.

--

“HYAGH!”

Sasuke leapt high in the air and aimed a Chidori down. Ryouko dodged out of the way, cursing the fact his cover had been blown so quickly.

“I’m not here to fight you!” Ryouko shouted as he bounced off a building, twisting in the air. Sasuke jumped up after him, but Ryouko spun once more and punched Sasuke, sending him into the hard street below. Ryouko landed kneeling.

“Master Ryouko!” Shizune skidded in between the two, ending the brief fight. By now, several people had gathered.

“It’s…it’s really you, Master Ryouko!”

“Shizune…it’s been a long time. But I can’t wait any longer, I must see Tsunade! It’s a matter of life or death for this village! What we now face, I can’t bear alone, at least not while protecting innocents!”

“(koff)No, you don’t!” Sasuke ran past Shizune again. Ryouko was forced to kick in self-defense, and he finally lost his temper.

“Damn it, listen to me! I’m here to help!” Ryouko shouted. “Without knowing what I know, this village will fall! Damnit!” Ryouko had to jump again, as Sasuke tried to sweep his legs. Ryouko bit his thumb and ran a length of blood across his hand.

“Summoning Jutsu! Taleo, come forth!”

Taleo was a hawk the size of a human. His majestic wings spread, and the giant bird became airborne. Ryouko stood on top of him until he was at a safe height. But a chain wrapped around Ryouko’s arm.

“What?! Only one person I know could have gotten me at such a height…Tenten…”

Indeed, Ryouko looked down to see the feisty young female pulling on the chain. The years hadn’t changed her very much, save for her growing into a lovely young woman. Ryouko weighed his options- he risked injury if he pulled against the chain, either to himself or Tenten. Against that option, Ryouko ended the summoning jutsu and fell to the ground, landing crouched so as not to damage his knees. With a few moves, Tenten had wrapped the chain around Ryouko. He didn’t fight against it for the same reasons as before.

“If I am bound by chain, will you listen?” Ryouko asked quietly. Everyone knew full well he could escape if he needed to.

“So you’ve really come back to help us?” Tenten asked quietly. Ryouko didn’t know if this was good or not. He and Tenten had always been friends, but Tenten’s idol had been Tsunade the last Ryouko knew. Tenten aspired to be the strongest kunoichi ever, and Tsunade was the bar she held herself to, at least until two years ago.

“I have.”

Ten walked closer, pulling the chain tight as she moved. Her hand suddenly seized Ryouko’s chin firmly, but not hard.

“It really is you…Come with me, then I’ll escort you Lady Tsunade. Shizune-sensei, please come.”

--

Tenten opened the door to what Ryouko guessed was her family’s house.

“Inside, quickly!” she urged, pushing him inside. Shizune hurried in.

Tenten looked at Ryouko, her cheeks turning red. Out of nowhere, she kissed Ryouko. Not just kissed, but more or less made out with him, to his surprise. Amazingly, Shizune didn’t seem shocked, as if two people who hadn’t seen each other in two years, and had no previous relationship, suddenly locking lips was an everyday thing. Not that Ryouko didn’t find Tenten attractive, and vice versa.

Tenten relinquished her lip lock, and smiled at Ryouko.

“I’m really glad you came back…”

“So I see…” Ryouko said, still shocked.

“Tenten, you can have him later, this is life or death!” Shizune reminded Tenten. Ryouko looked at Tenten, noticing that she had changed her dress again, to where she wore her Chinese-styled vest, though it was black with pink ties now.

“Master Ryouko, what’s happened?” Shizune urged.

“Orochimaru, in a word. He’s come back. I don’t know how, but he escaped my seal, one way or the other. He’s coming to the Hidden Leaf. I need everyone hidden, only I can fight him!”

Shizune and Tenten exchanged glances. Ryouko struggled against the chain, but Tenten pulled it tight.

“Stay still. We’re going to Lady Tsunade, and the only way we’ll get you to her is if you’re in chains.” That explained why Tenten had pulled the chains tighter. She and Shizune had obviously been planning.

“How did you know I would ever return here?” Ryouko asked, craning his neck to look at the two kunoichi.

Shizune looked away awkwardly, but produced a scroll.

“You dropped this when you left, Master Ryouko. In your apartment, two years ago. I didn’t know what it was, only that it meant you. This prophecy…I don’t know who made it, but it must mean you!”

Shizune recited it:

The evil lord slain, the legend, apart from his village,
wanders, seeking a purpose, yet claiming none.
As the years pass, the slain lord, repugnant, froth of evil,
Shall return, to once again engage in mortal combat
With his foe, the legend who has forsaken his world.
The battlefield will be torn with an unholy power, and
Only the selfless blood sacrifice of the legend may quell
The Blood Moon.
The legend alone may end this threat. Any who battle alongside him
Will be lost, should the legend’s last hope fall.
Should the legend fall, all hope will be lost…forever.


Ryouko felt himself weaken. He was suddenly reminded of his illness. What if it WASN’T the Shikotsumyaku that was causing it? Was he dying regardless?

“Shizune…Every precaution must be taken against this threat. Prophecy aside…my time may be short…” Ryouko pulled off his glove. He had put a flexible, black metal glove on his left hand, to hide the mark. Now, he showed it to Shizune, instructing her to look at the lines. The dawning realization hit Shizune.

“You have to talk to Lady Tsunade, Ryouko! Put your differences aside, and let her heal you! She doesn’t know of this prophecy. But there’s no choice- she has to know to prepare the village, and to heal you.”

“You’re right. But release me long enough to perform a summoning, please. I have an urgent message that I must send. Two of them, actually. Dual summoning Jutsu!”

Holly and Taleo appeared next to Ryouko. Taleo had compressed himself to the size of a normal hawk for travel.

“This one, for the Rain. This one, for the other legend. Please, hurry!” Ryouko urged both summons. Holly ran off, not even making a wisecrack about Ryouko in a dark room with two cute girls and a chain. Taleo flew off as fast as he could, soaring majestically into the blue sky above.

“Alright…I’m ready.” Ryouko strapped his arms to his sides, and let Tenten wind the chain around him again. This time, when she got close to fasten the chain, Ryouko caught her by surprise with a soft, brushing kiss, full on the lips.

Shizune smiled at the gesture.

You’ve grown, Ryouko. I know you always loved Sakura, but it takes a big man to accept defeat and move on. As far as losing goes, I think this is one time you’ve come out on top. Even is you won’t say it, you’ve wanted a kunoichi of your own. You forsake your dreams two years ago, Ryouko. Don’t forsake them this time. Legend or not, you deserve something better…

--

Tsunade immediately stood up. She had gathered her top jonin. The rumors had been true. Ryouko was led in by Tenten.

“So you’ve come crawling back, I see…” Tsunade began.

“No, I came of my own free will to warn you…We need to work together if the Hidden Leaf is to survive!”

Tsunade reared back and hit Ryouko. Maybe it was the travel, or maybe it was just anger, but Ryouko escaped the chains and charged. The jonin mobbed him. All he could do was loosen his glove and flick it at Tsunade. The metal cracked off her forehead.

“You little bastard! Kill him!” Tsunade ordered.

“Do it, and I die with him!” Shizune shouted, holding a kunai to her neck. Tenten had done the same thing.

“That’s right! Master Ryouko isn’t the criminal here!” Tenten added. She took out the scroll that prophesized what was going to happen. Tsunade looked deflated. She made a movement with her hand, and the jonin let go.

“So he’s come back…Evil that strong never goes away so easily…”

“You should know! You’re damned evil yourself!” Ryouko snarled. “I haven’t forgotten, two years ago! You flaunted my failure in my face, and you mocked my achievements! You wouldn’t acknowledge me as worthy of your trust! Better Lord Third should be resurrected than you lead your village! THAT’S why I left! You’re killing my home!”

Sakura put a hand on Ryouko’s shoulder, but he stepped away from it, his voice darker.

“And you…you knew very well what you meant to me. You chose the apprentice of my enemy…I lied to you when I said you had nothing to do with my departure. You and your teacher EMBODIED my reasoning!” Ryouko thundered. “You both spat in my face! After the loyalty I gave, and after asking nothing in return, you two were fair-weather friends. In my hour of need, my DARKEST HOUR, WHERE WERE YOU?! YOU WERE THE CAUSE!”

Tenten and Shizune rushed to Ryouko’s side. His face was beet red from all but admitting he had loved Sakura. But, to Tenten’s relief (and shame), she was happy to hear Ryouko renounce any relationship with Sakura.

Tsunade was quiet, and Sakura was near tears. Finally, Tsunade spoke.

“What do you need us to do? If Orochimaru is attacking, and only you can fight him…We’ll do whatever we need to! Just tell us!”

Ryouko nodded, somehow relieved after the outburst.

“Anyone who can’t fight at a chunin level needs to hide, quickly. Anyone with a weak stomach, or a weak heart, they need to hide as well. Only Sakura has seen a battle such as this, and this time, it’ll be worse. Sakura also knows a counter jutsu, but the jutsu will take time. I researched it, and she was lucky to perform it the first time. The “Pure Soul Resurrection” worked because she was in a purified temple that also contained bodies. The bodies need to be protected from evil, and the jutsu must take place in such a purified place. That’s the only way it will work, and there’s no time for that. I will be the front line by myself. Should I become swarmed, or fall, all of you will have to fight back and drive Orochimaru away. That, or give up the village, and award him my corpse.”

Tsunade held out her hand. “Fine. We’ll shake on this. You’re a man of your word, Ryouko. No matter how much I hate you, that is fact.”

Ryouko held out his hand. Tsunade shook it, then snatched his other hand.

“So Shizune was correct…Ryouko, do NOT do anything to make your condition worsen. There’s a chance that I can still save you, but you CANNOT play with such a disease. Luckily, it’s confined to you, so if you die, it will die with you. Even if you were to have children, it’s not likely they would inherit the kekkaigenkai causing this disease. You and Kimimaro were of the same generation, and this disease seems to skip generations.”

Ryouko withdrew his hand, looking as though someone had poured acid on it. Shizune and Tenten were the only two on his side of the room. Ryouko nodded, and walked out the door, with Shizune and Tenten behind him.

Sakura was being comforted by Tsunade. She felt like the worst person in the world for what she had done to Ryouko. But there was no turning back the clock. She could only hope time would heal all wounds.

--

If this is my last night alive…I’ve made my existence worth it to others, but not to myself…I’ve been twenty-two for six days. Tomorrow will be the first day after two years since I’ve left…Orochimaru must have known, and picked the date to satisfy his own ego…

Ryouko was going to stay in a hidden shed on Tenten’s parent’s property. He laid out all his weapons, and even set to work with a hammer to improve on his metal glove. A few minutes before midnight, Tenten checked in with him. Ryouko was laying on his tatami mat, looking…defeated?

“Fate has already decided the life I lead…” Ryouko looked up suddenly, finally registering Tenten’s presence. He stood up and bowed.

“Forgive me, I was…lost in thought.”

Tenten didn’t say anything. She looked like she was going to pop if she blushed any harder. Ryouko, being clueless, wasn’t sure why she was blushing.

“Ryouko…I’m sorry, Master, Master Ryouko…”

Ryouko held her hand. “ ‘Ryouko’ is fine, Tenten, you’ve known me for a long time. What’s on your mind?”

Tenten took his other hand and looked him in the eyes. Before he could stop himself, Ryouko kissed Tenten again, with more passion. This kiss lasted a longer time than the fist one. Since they were both adults, the kiss was a little less innocent, but it wasn’t lusty by any means.

Tenten and Ryouko moved apart simultaneously. Embarrassed suddenly, Tenten picked up Ryouko’s weapons and turned them over in her hands, growing excited.

“I could help you with these, make them better! Weapons are my thing!” Tenten stored the tools she needed in this very shed, so it worked out nicely. “Oh, that’s right! Something came for you from Sunagakure!”

It turned out to be a new set of clothes. A black shirt with an old-fashioned drawstring near the chest was first, followed by a new robe with the Kaguya crest. This robe was sleeveless, or more like a trench coat. It fit perfectly. Attached to the sleeve was a note:

Best of luck to you. My brother and sister are confident in you, so I’ll follow their lead and trust you to keep out world safe.

Gaara


“Must have been Temari’s suggestion, no way Kankuro or Gaara would have thought of this…” Ryouko mused with a grave smile. Tenten nodded her approval at the shirt.

“It makes you look handsome. But, handsome won’t do you much good unless you have a plan…do you?” Tenten asked earnestly.

“I do.”

“And do you think you’re going to die?” Tenten asked with more trepidation in her voice.

“It’s likely,” Ryouko admitted, “But don’t worry, my life won’t come easy, IF he gets it. Okay?”

Tenten shrugged. “Yeah. You’re doing what you have to…”

Ryouko started to say something else, but he felt it. Right there. Boom. Without explaining, he ran to the door of the shed and opened it.

“The moon…it’s red. Orochimaru is here. Go, hurry, let everyone know the plans, I will deal Orochimaru myself!” Ryouko pulled on his metal glove, his normal glove, his arm guards, and grabbed all his scrolls.

“This time we play for keeps, Orochimaru…”


“Hold on! For luck, Ryouko!” Tenten said, kissing Ryouko. Her eyes grew tearful as she watched Ryouko sprint away, in for the fight of his life.

Don’t die…
--

Orochimaru stood on top of his giant snake. Several Leaf Villagers had already died, and their bodies had paid the blood tribute he needed for the most forbidden jutsu of all.

“Infinite Damned Soul Resurrection!”

The Leaf ground twisted and heaved, bring forth hell’s minions. Orochimaru laughed as most of the brave, but not stupid, Leaf villagers ran for it. Orochimaru laughed even harder as Ryouko ran right up the center of the chaos.

“Go! Destroy the prophesized one!” Orochimaru commanded. The souls all turned on Ryouko.

“IT’S BEEN TWO YEARS, OROCHIMARU! ONLY ONE OF US WILL LEAVE ALIVE THIS DAY! THE HIDDEN LEAF SHALL NOT FALL!”

Ryouko whipped out a scroll. But it wasn’t just ANY scroll. It was a purified scroll of protection. In his own blood, Ryouko had written his name, thereby activating the scroll. Using it like a whip, Ryouko cleared the immediate area around him of the damned souls all reaching for him. But there was still swarms, and even Ryouko was getting swamped. An ancient sword hit him high up on the side. Grunting in pain, Ryouko held the sword in place while he ducked a spear. As the spear crashed down again, it cut the sword’s wielder’s arm off. On the third strike, Ryouko had retrieved the sword and blocked the spear. He kicked the demon, knocking it away, while sliding his sword down and cutting off the demon’s hand. Ryouko stabbed with the spear. But even WITH weapons, it seemed a hopeless battle…

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on July 3, 2008, 11:35:36 PM

hflp on
hflpo_o. OKAY I DID NOT SEE HALF OF THAT STUFF COMING. Good substitute for Ekyt's relationship.