Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - It Never Ends

Ryouko, now legendary, leaves Konoha with a heavy heart. His purpose and his girlfriend both taken from him, he's soon forced to confront a new fear from an old foe...

Chapter 9 - It Never Ends

Chapter 9 - It Never Ends
In surgery…

Tsunade had shaken herself out of her stupor, and forced herself to focus on the man in front of her, lying on the operating table, unconscious. After a fifteen-hour battle, won single-handedly, fatigue should have fell him. Instead, against all advice, he had used the jutsu that was to be his undoing.

The damage is nearly irreparable…If I could just isolate this damn disease…I know it’s in his bones. If I can get enough chakra to filter the veins near the bones, I can remove the disease…but that’s going to take more chakra than I’ve got…Wait, Ryouko still had chakra, maybe I can manipulate his to help filter out the bad. The chakra is different from the bloodline, it’s used to activate it, but not create it. It’s his blood that’s gone bad. His chakra should be pure…He’s got maybe 10% left…if I add mine…damn it, I’m still short!

--

Katsuyori helped put out the last of the fires, while Kantai dug into the rubble. No one was in the house, or any of them, thankfully. The Academy had been the saving grace of the Hidden Leaf.

“How’s your sensei, Katsuyori-san?” Kantai asked, standing up and clapping rubbing her hands to get rid of some of the soot and grime that had accumulated while she was searching.

“I don’t know, he’s still in surgery. I’m not worried yet…not about that…” Katsuyori’s voice drifted off as he tried to organize his thoughts. He wasn’t having much luck.

Kantai frowned and wrinkled her nose. “What IS worrying you, then?”

Katsuyori swept his ponytail back. “It’s about what Ryouko-sensei is going to do after the surgery. Part of me wants him to stay in the Hidden Leaf. But the other part…wants to leave with him. If he leaves, it’s not a set thing, not yet.”

Kantai found herself saddened by the prospect of Katsuyori leaving. She hadn’t known him for long, but she had known him long enough to understand that he was a rare type of guy; one she wanted to get to know better. But Kantai bit her lip and kept working, as if that would solve the problem.

--

“You did nice work. Damn, I hate feeling useless…” Sasuke murmured, looking out the window of the academy classroom that was serving as a break room.

“Don’t worry about it, Sasuke-kun. Demons from hell are an acceptable excuse to miss work,” Sakura joked. Her mirth didn’t last long- very quickly her smooth features turned to worry and concern.

“Anything wrong?” Sasuke asked, going against the grain. This was his girlfriend, he HAD to care about her problems.

“I was just thinking…about what Ryouko said…he was right. But Katsuyori’s silence hurt even worse. I KNOW I hurt Ryouko, and I feel bad, but you were my dream, I couldn’t just give you up. I give Ryouko credit for bringing us together, even though I get it- he liked me. It’s Katsuyori’s attitude that really hurts. He used to be the kind of kid that looked up to me, because his sensei admired me. Now, even though Ryouko’s been nice enough, Katsuyori’s older, and it’s like he’s taken this whole thing personally…”

Sasuke stood up and walked out of the room. Right there, Sakura knew she had said the wrong thing. Sasuke wasn’t mad at her; THAT would have been safer. No, Sasuke had his sights set on Katsuyori.

--

Katsuyori narrowed his eyes. Someone was following him. No, two someones. There went his chance to get to know Kantai.

“Show yourself!” Katsuyori snarled into the shadows. Sasuke stalked out, followed by Sakura. Katsuyori didn’t bother to hide his displeasure.

“What the hell are you doing, stalking me?” Katsuyori glared at Sasuke, completely ignoring Sakura.

“You’ve hurt my girl’s feelings. I suggest apologizing, or else.” Sasuke said all this calmly, but his Sharingan told a different story.

“I haven’t done anything she didn’t deserve. I’ve kept my mouth shut around her. If she wants to hear what I have to say…no, she doesn’t. And I’d hate myself for saying it…no matter how true. Now don’t bother me…”

Katsuyori knew that Sasuke was looking for a fight.

“That’s it, you bastard! If you’re so dedicated to that fluke of a master of yours, why don’t we just see what he’s taught you!”

Katsuyori always took offence if his sensei was slighted. And now was no exception.

“I’m not going to let you badmouth my sensei! He SAVED your worthless @$$. He’s not around to save it again, and I don’t think he would. He always says I make sure a fight makes sense before I jump into it…Well, this one makes sense to me!”

Both glared at each other, gritting their teeth.

“SUMMONING JUTSU!”

BLAM! BLAM!

TWO giant snakes appeared from nowhere. Eerily, it was Shuurai (Katsuyori/Ryouko) vs. Manda (Orochimaru/Sasuke). Shuurai and Manda were brothers, and hated each other from way back. Each one previous owner had been the teacher of the one know using them. There was an incredible amount of bad blood, and that blood was about to spill.

--

“What on earth? Oh no! Damn it, the one who could have called of Katsuyori is out like a light, and I don’t even know if the surgery took! I’ve got to get out there, whether Katsuyori likes me or not!”

“Lady Tsunade, you can’t leave Ryouko!” Shizune protested. Tenten was already at Ryouko’s side.

“Either he’ll live or he won’t, Shizune, I can’t do anything else. If he wakes up, give him a ration pill, or one of his cigarettes, and send him out to stop this! For now, I’ve got to step in and try to end this before any more damage is done to the Leaf. We got out with very few casualties, but our Village itself, the buildings…not so much…”

Tsunade ran off as fast as she could, leaving Shizune and Tenten to turn back to Ryouko.

“It’s scary, Shizune-sensei…” Tenten began quietly, looking at Ryouko’s unnervingly still form.

“…Someone like Ryouko could be in this state. I mean…if a legend had this much trouble, no matter what the odds, and could wind up being unconscious in a hospital bed…what about the rest of us who AREN’T legends? …”

Shizune didn’t answer; she didn’t have an answer. Instead, she put a hand to Ryouko’s fore head. No temperature; that much was a good sign.

Tenten had settled down in a chair next to his bed, and absently grabbed his left hand. She gently pulled the glove off to hold his hand, and gasped.

“Shizune-sensei! Ryouko-kun’s hand! Look at the life line!”

--

Sasuke and Katsuyori sized each other up. Their summons were long gone, and their chakras were both running low.

“Tell me, Katsuyori-kun…do you aim to kill me?” Sasuke asked casually. Katsuyori was seemingly caught offguard by the question.

“It crossed my mind…but no. Defeating you is enough for me. Besides, no matter what contempt I hold for you and Sakura, a needless death is a needless death. I wouldn’t do that to her…you might be a demon from hell, but I’ve faced more than my fair share this past day. One more won’t hurt!”

Sasuke shrugged. “Well, if you hoped to defeat me, you’d have to come at me as though you were going to kill me. If you aren’t going to, then I’ve already defeated you.”

“Get off your high-horse, Uchiha! You might be Konoha’s favorite son again, but that doesn’t mean that anyone with half a brain doesn’t see you for the little bratty, bastard child you are! My sensei called the shots on you, and the released you as a favor to the girl he loved! He might have been foolish to think she would ever RETURN that affection, but there was human enough in his heart to bring you back from hell, and all you can do is flaunt Sakura. You wouldn’t BE here if it weren’t for Ryouko-sensei!”

That struck home with Sasuke in a big way. In a rage, he ran at Katsuyori. Katsuyori had waited for this opening, and took off at top speed himself. Sakura and Tsunade could only watch as they were about to clash.

Thock, whoosh, crack!

Three sounds. The first was Ryouko landing, the second was him throwing both combatants to opposite ends of their battle field, and the third was him stuffing Sasuke with a sidekick that nearly cracked a rib.

“This is a senseless fight…Katsuyori, let the people talk. My honor doesn’t need defending. I put my honor on the chopping block when I let this menace go. It’s my grudge, don’t make enemies on my account.”

Ryouko looked pale, but other than that, he was his old self. His mask was in place during combat once more, though a lit chakra cigarette was in his hand. He let the cigarette fall, and stamped on it with his boot. His eyes darted around, looking for a threat, seeing none.

“Sasuke, Sakura, Tsunade…you’ve made it abundantly clear that you don’t want me here. I’d walk through fire to defend the Leaf. Always have, always will. But I DO have my limits. So, until the next great war, or the need arises…”

Ryouko gave a courteous bow. Next to him, Tenten landed.

“Oh no you don’t! You’re not taking off again without me! I’m going with you!” Tenten clamped down on Ryouko’s arm.

“Likewise, sensei. And…well, a friend is coming with me…” Katsuyori blushed as Kantai emerged from the shadows. He gave her a brief grin.

Ryouko was hit with a rush of emotion. As he felt it, he dug into his robe.

“Tenten…I know it’s only been a short while…but will you…”

Ryouko offered her a ring, down on one knee.

“…Be my wife?”

Tenten’s mouth fell open. He-he’s proposing?! Oh my God! Yes! Yes! Of course I will! Just gotta say it out loud!

“Yes!”

Katsuyori and Kantai were caught up in the moment themselves.

“Are you crying?” Kantai said, nudging her boyfriend playfully. Katsuyori shook his head.

“No. Damn, must have gotten some blood in my eye…”

“NOW HOLD ON!” Tsunade demanded. “Ryouko, I can’t stop YOU, but Tenten, Katsuyori, and Kantai are all part of the Hidden Leaf. If they leave, I’ll have them hunted down!”

Ryouko seemed to grow in size. “If you EVER threaten my wife again…If you come near my student…there will be hell to pay! It’s THEIR life, you have no control over what they want. Besides, the second I leave, you’ll start mistreating them, just like you did me! Besides, there’s only room enough for ONE nearly-extinct clan in the Hidden Leaf, and that’s the Uchiha clan. The Kaguya clan will live on it the Rain Village.”

Tsunade softened, placing a hand on Ryouko’s shoulder. “You’ve proved to me you’re worthy of Tenten. Go…with my blessing.”

--

Ryouko and Tenten returned to the Village Hidden in the Rain. To their surprise, they were greeted with the news that the Amekage had died. Ryouko’s jonin friend delivered the news.

“I’m sorry. Who’s next in line to take the title?” Ryouko questioned, concerned that his new home was in danger without a leader.

“Actually, Master Ryouko…we’d like you to take the title. You don’t have to renounce your connection with the Hidden Leaf. You’re the only one we can turn to. Your clan is the most powerful to come from our land.”

Ryouko, to put it mildly, was surprised. He looked to Tenten; maybe they weren’t officially husband and wife yet, but this was still a big thing. Promise ring glinting on her finger, Tenten gave Ryouko the nod.

“I accept.”

--

THREE YEARS PASS

Ryouko, the Third Amekage, had helped the village prosper. He was one of the few kages to join his land on the battlefield in person.

“You should never ask someone to do anything you aren’t prepared to do yourself,” he was fond of saying. He had found that the Rain Village agreed with him. Their relations with the Hidden Leaf had resulted in benefits for both. The Rain Village was small, but powerful, and the Hidden Leaf agreed to lend them manpower when it was needed. In return, the Rain Village sent crops, and even their Amekage, to the Hidden Leaf. Every year, a festival was held honoring this commemorative pact between Villages. Eventually, the Sand Village threw it’s hand in, and a new triumvirate took power, with Gaara (Kazekage), Tsunade (Hokage), and Ryouko (Amekage) keeping the peace.

It was at this festival that Ryouko and Katsuyori both received news from their wives.

“Ryo-kun…um…well…” Tenten began.

“Katsuyori-kun…I have something to tell you…’ a blushing Kantai said slowly.

Ryouko and Katsuyori both stood up, SURE that it was bad news.

“I’m pregnant,” said both girls. Katsuyori and Ryouko exchanged glances, before Ryouko uttered a phrase that made Tenten wonder just how much her husband understood about humans.”

“Pregnant…how did that happen?”

Katsuyori looked to his wife, as if she had an answer.

The girls sighed.

“We married powerful idiots, Ten-chan,” Kantai joked.

“Yeah…I’ve got the grand llama of idiots, and you’ve got his chief advisor!” Tenten shot back.

Ryouko took the chance to take a shot of his own. “See, Katsuyori, they’re MEAN when they’re pregnant.”

--

Pein looked at the sword Itachi had brought him.

“Orochimaru is sealed within this sword…very well. Itachi, let’s begin the extraction. I want that ring back…and perhaps one more in our ranks. We’ll agree to only return Orochimaru’s full chakra when he agrees to listen to us.”

Pein made the handsigns and grabbed the sword.

“Begin!”
--
EXTRAS! TWO PARTS OF THE ORIGINAL, UNUSED ENDING! WARNING- IT’S MILDLY PROVOCATIVE, PG-13 WITH REFERENCES TO SEX.


“Give me…just one night…”

Ryouko was confused. “What do you mean?”

Tenten picked at Ryouko’s collar. “One night…with you.” Tenten looked Ryouko firmly in the eyes. Both had hazel eyes, though Tenten’s were of a lighter color.

“What do you mean, ‘one night’?”

Tenten slid a little closer to Ryouko, hugging him. “I wanted to tell you…that I really, really like you. Maybe more than that. Ever since you fought Orochimaru, I’ve thought that you were…perfect. But I knew you’d never have me, you loved Sakura, everyone knew it. And I’m so ashamed, but I’m glad you two didn’t get together. I know it’s selfish, and horrible of me, but…well, I guess love makes you do crazy things…”

Ryouko damn near hit the floor. She just said…and she’s referring to… Before he could stop himself, Ryouko kissed Tenten again, with more passion. This kiss lasted a longer time than the fist one. Since they were both adults, the kiss was a little less innocent, but it wasn’t lusty by any means.



UNUSED!!!

“Tenten, it’s ironic you would say that. I had a crush on you, more than five years ago. But I thought you had your eyes elsewhere, so I never made a move.”

Tenten stared into Ryouko’s chest. “If tonight is your last night…I’m sorry, it’s selfish of me!”

Ryouko took Tenten’s hand gently, and kissed it, kneeling. “Anything you want, Tenten. I owe you that. And…if I survive…maybe there’s a future…for us?” Ryouko reached into his cloak and took out a golden ring. Tenten’s eyes widened, while Ryouko’s eyes silently asked the big question:

“Will you marry me?”

The question had come out verbally. Tenten nodded, too shocked to say anything. They didn’t need a ceremony to marry. In a shed, by themselves, that was fine. As far as Tenten was concerned, she was now Ryouko’s wife.

Tenten jumped to Ryouko’s arms. For both of them, it would be an unforgettable night. A crush among kids had turned to love among adults. And, also a first for both of them, that love was manifested physically.

--

I can’t believe I…with a legend, nonetheless! He’s only back for a day, and THAT happens! I-I should feel awful! But…I don’t. I can’t. It’s just what I wanted, with WHO I wanted, denying that would be a betrayal of myself! –Tenten

Never even a girlfriend for twenty-two years…and now I’ve…if children come as a result…I take nothing back! If that truly was my last night on this earth, then it was worth it. Love will always conquer lust. –Ryouko.

Ryouko and Tenten smiled at each other. Tenten snuggled up against Ryouko’s bare chest, while rubbing his back with one hand. The other was on his far shoulder. The night had gotten chilly, so neither of the two had wanted to get out from under the blanket to retrieve their clothing.

“I’m sorry if I…did something I shouldn’t have. I’ve just missed you for so long, Ryouko. I couldn’t help myself…”

“It was a joint effort, Tenten.”

Ryouko kissed Tenten on the cheek. “Thank you…for being my wife.”

Tenten didn’t say anything, she only snuggled into his neck happily. She didn’t speak until Ryouko moved a little bit.

“I love you. And…I can’t believe we just did that! But, I wouldn’t take it back for anything!”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on July 9, 2008, 10:32:09 PM

hflp on
hflpAwesome. Hands down your best fic EVER.