Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 18 - Double Your Fun

I take couples requests. CanonxCanon, OCxCanon only, though. For now, no yaoi/yuri. Please read and comment on at least 1 completed ch before making an rq.

Chapter 18 - Double Your Fun

Chapter 18 - Double Your Fun
NOTE: This is a fic I did as a gift for YOURIMAGINARYFRIEND. (Hope it's alright, YIF!) Ame and Gaara go out with Ryouko and...Tenten? That's right, something pried her away from Neji. But very real feelings come spilling out during this date. Two girls and two guys on the date, but when it comes to the end of the date, one of them will be out of luck!

Enjoy!

-NG

‘Ame’ is property of YOURIMAGINARYFRIEND. I’ve obtained permission to write this fic from her. I also encourage you to read YIF’s work.

Tenten sat back and watched- the boys were at it again.

“Say that again?!”

“I will, Neji-tan: Back off!”

The two butting heads were Neji and Ryouko. It was over Neji’s rough treatment of Lee on a previous mission. Ryouko happened to have been included, and didn’t exactly keep it a secret that he thought Neji was an egotistical prick.

To her surprise, Tenten found herself agreeing.

He’s right. Lately, Neji’s really let being a jonin go to his head. Lee works way harder than Neji does, too. It’s really getting to me. Why does Neji have to do that? He’s a great guy otherwise. Well…not to hear Ryouko say it. (sigh) He shouldn’t add the high school girl honorifics to Neji’s names, no matter how funny…

By instinct, Tenten knew the fight was about to come to blows. She casually stepped between both boys.

“Will you both grow up? Neji, don’t treat Lee like that! And Ryouko…don’t be so…uh…right!”

Tenten noticed something odd as she pushed the boys apart: Ryouko blushed heavily as soon as her hand touched his chest. Now, it wasn’t a surprise to Tenten that Ryouko blushed like that; his kunoichi shyness was well known. What was surprising was that he was blushing around her.

I’m one of the few who knows he has a crush on Sakura. So why start blushing around me…unless… I wonder…could it be ME he has a crush on?

This got Tenten thinking. Big time.

Neji’s been really distant lately. And it’s not like we’re boyfriend/girlfriend. Or he doesn’t act it, anyway. Him and his stupid fate. Maybe I should look into Ryouko…If for no other reason than to get a measure of revenge on Neji.

Then again, it’s not like Ryouko isn’t kinda hot himself. Especially since he became a jonin.


Tenten found herself blushing at the prospect. For now, she just gave Ryouko a good smile, while favoring Neji with a glare.

--

Tenten had her head in the clouds all day. She had the day off, but didn’t know what exactly to do. Usually, she trained with Neji. But she was still kind of ticked at him for how he treated Lee.

Another preoccupied girl was about to create a ‘clash of fate’ so to speak, with Tenten. Hinata had her head down, dreaming about Naruto. She didn’t see Tenten. Neither one of them displayed anything like shinobi skills as they butted heads like little kids.
(crack!)

“Ow! Oh, I’m so sorry, Tenten!” Hinata fretted, playing with her fingers, apparently scared of Tenten. (and her shadow)

Tenten shook the cobwebs out. “S’okay, I’m fine. I wasn’t paying attention. What are you up to, anyway?”

“Oh, I was just heading to breakfast! A friend from out of town is here today! Well, two actually. Why don’t you come with me?”

With nothing better to do, Tenten followed Hinata down the street.


--

Ryouko had been kind of a lost soul for as long as he could remember. Lots of things went wrong for him. It had taken a long time to get promoted to jonin, among many other things. Chiefly was the fact that he was twenty, single, and had no prospects- only two vague crushes.

One crush was about to disappear.

“Ryouko! You won’t believe this!”

Ryouko heard the sound of the orange-clad hurricane of a knucklehead ninja, Naruto, storming up behind him. He sounded as if he was in really high spirits. That made Ryouko genuinely happy for his friend. (although the fact that he was happy also invoked jealousy. That was nothing new. Ryouko ignored it)

“What’d you do? Sexy Jutsu to Iruka again?”

“No way, even better! I got Sakura to go out with me!”

(Ryouko’s eyes widen for a second, as if in pain. Then settle back into their normal expression. Sharp intake of breath)

“Really?!” he forced himself to exclaim. “That’s awesome! Way to go, Naruto! Man, I envy you- I could never get the guts up to ask a girl out.”
So Sakura picked someone else…I waited too long…Oh well. As long as she’s happy with Naruto…and he’s happy with her…that’s what matters. My dream is to see their dreams come true.

“I don’t see the big deal. Man, they’re just humans, y’know? And if they so no? Big deal!” Naruto exclaimed with his usual enthusiasm.

Only one with no shame could say that… Ryouko thought, though he knew it was more likely that Naruto was just a free spirit.

Now, it’s needless to say Ryouko is devastated. But it wouldn’t be Ryouko-ish to show it or tell anyone. So he kept quite, smiling for Naruto and Sakura’s sake. All the while, he pictured himself at age sixty-five, an assistant to a Hokage. Destined to die just as his teacher, the Third Hokage, did- in vain, with a seal of shame on his stomach.

As Sakura came striding up, Ryouko decided it was time to go. There were limits as to how far one could fake happiness. He couldn’t give in in front of these two. Their hardships had been so terrible…

Using a Body Flicker, Ryouko leapt down to the street, deciding to take a walk for the time being. In his haze, he bumped into someone. Well, two someones. He, of course, apologized.

“Sorry about that, Shikamaru. Oh, and Lady Temari! Is it time for the chunin exams already?”

“You can lose the ‘Lady’ stuff, Ryouko. We’ve known each other for too long. Besides that, we’re both jonin,” Temari informed him.

“I suppose so,” Ryouko was forced to agree. “Well, don’t let me keep you two. Oh, wait- Temari, is your brother around?”

Temari narrowed her eyes in thought. “Which one? They’re both here, and…oh…right. Sorry.”

Ryouko didn’t need to look up. It was common knowledge that he and the new Sand Kazekage hated each other with a burning passion. Maybe the Leaf could forgive Gaara, but Ryouko couldn’t. Not for nearly killing his friends and destroying so much land.

“It’s alright. I’m the one who holds the grudge. Enjoy your stay, Temari. See you later, Shikamaru.”

That left Shikamaru with Temari.

“So what ARE you doing here, anyway? Chunin exam meetings are still a week away,” Shikamaru asked.

“I’m here to see some old friends. Is that a crime?”

“Geez, you’re troublesome. Typical woman.”

--

Hinata led Temari to a small coffee house that seemed to go unnoticed normally. You had to go down a set of stairs to reach it.

“Never knew this place was here…” Tenten muttered to herself, looking around. It was quaint and kind of cute. Delicious aromas rose from everywhere, trapped in the low confines of the café. It made her hungry just thinking about what might be on the menu.

“I usually sit here.” Hinata pointed toward a corner table surrounded by comfy-looking cushions. She led the way over to the table and sat down delicately on one that allowed her to have her back to the wall.

Tenten chose the spot across next to her, figuring that Hinata would want to talk to these friends of hers, and that it was easier to do so when sitting across from them.

The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs caused both girls to look up to see who was coming in.

“Tems! Ame!” Hinata squeaked in delight.

Tenten didn’t really know the first girl who walked in. Short hair, pretty, though she looked as though she could hold her own in a scrape. The girl coming after her, though…

“YOU!”

Tenten jumped to her feet, weapons scroll at the ready. She was staring down Temari, the humiliation of chunin exams three years past fresh in her head.

“Get over yourself, girl. Push pause- do you see anyone else losing it ‘cause a Sand Villager walked in? The war’s been over for three years!” Temari said flippantly, angering Tenten all the more.

“You know what I mean, sand scum!” she snarled. But after a moment, she shook her head and sat down. “Whatever. I’ve got no reason to fight you. Nothing to prove.”

“Well, sure. Not that you COULD prove anything against me…” Temari hid the last part under a cough.

“WHAT WAS THAT?!” the normally-calm Tenten fumed.

“Uh…It was Tenten-right?” Ame asked carefully, not wanting to add more fuel to the fire.

Tenten almost snarled at her, but managed to reign in her temper. “Yes. Sorry for that (giant sweatdrop). Just, uh, hahaha, a little leftover aggression.”

“Riiiighhhhttt…Well then, girl- shall we get to the topic at hand?” Temari spoke up. Coffee had been set in front of them. Apparently it was a courtesy at this place, since no one had ordered het.

“What topic’s that?” Tenten wasn’t privy to that information.

“Boys!” the other three girls told her in unison. What happened next was a mish-mash of conversation and gossip that only those involved could follow.

“What about Shikamaru, Temari?”

“Oh, shut up!”

“You totally want ‘shadow boy’!”

“Yeah?! Okay, what about Hinata and Naruto?!”

“Oh! U-u-ummm, I…”

“Are you still with Gaara, Ame?”

“Oh, yes!

“And what about you, Tenten? Still hanging with Neji?”

Tenten, who had been struggling to keep up, kind of shrugged. “Sorta. I thought about…y’know…playing the field a little…”

That kicked off a discussion on who would be good for Tenten. Despite Tenten’s protests to the contrary, it was somehow decided that she should find someone and double-date with Gaara and Ame.

-

Ryouko hadn’t gotten far when Izumo caught up with him.

“Lady Hokage wants to see you, Ryouko. She says it’s ‘mildly important’.”

Ryouko rolled his eyes. “Ah, thanks. Crap, it’s my day off. I was gonna train. And…well, it’s been a bad day. Oh well, maybe this’ll be interesting. Thanks, Izumo.”

-

“A note to where, M’lady?”

Ryouko’s trepidation was understandable- he, like most of the village, had never heard of this ‘Kimika’ person.

(‘Kimika’ is also owned by YOURIMAGINARYFRIEND)

“Yes, that’s right. She runs a café. It’s hardly your type of place, Ryouko. But I need someone to deliver the rent notice.”

“And…Izumo couldn’t be-cause…”

Tsunade pinched Ryouko’s cheek. “Because it’s more fun to boss you around. Besides, kiddo, you need a distraction. I know about the whole ‘Sakura’ thing, and I thank you for handling it graciously.”

Ryouko straightened his back, just as he had seen Iruka do when addressed like this. But Tsunade shook her head.

“No, you can relax. Listen, not to heap on the bad news here…”

“But you will anyway. Just tell me,” Ryouko half-snapped. Tsunade was understanding of that, apparently.

“I have to inform you that you failed your teacher’s qualification test.”

Ryouko shook his head. “That…can’t be right…”

Tsunade nodded. “It is. Instructor isn’t your best spot. We need men like you in the field. For blacker operations. Such as the Akatsuki. But we can leave that discussion until later. For now, just- for once- follow orders.”

Ryouko inclined his head, then disappeared.

-

“Where the hell is this place?!”

After an hour of looking, Ryouko was ticked. Big time. Where could this place be? How had he not noticed it before? He had investigated every crack of the Hidden Leaf at one time or another. So where?”

As he was wondering, Shikamaru wandered by again.

“Hey, you lost?”

Ryouko nodded. “Where the hell is ‘Kimika’s’?”

To Ryouko’s surprise, Shikamaru knew.

“Yeah, it’s down Tea Leaf Street, first on your right. Go down the flight of stairs you see.”

“Ah, okay. Thanks.”

--

Another set of steps coming down the stairs made all four girls turn their heads to look.

“Huh? Ryouko? What’s he doing here?!” Tenten whispered, ducking her head a little, wondering why she was doing that even as she did it. Temari, sensing the kill, smirked.

“HEY! YOU, HOTTIE!”

Ryouko didn’t answer- no way someone was talking to him. Temari didn’t like being ignored, so she got her point across by swinging her fan at him, smacking him painfully in the back of the head. THAT got his attention. As he spun around, he had two kunai out, ready to throw. He stopped short upon seeing who it was.

“Huh? Oh, sorry about that. Good morning,” Ryouko bowed his greeting as well, speaking carefully.

Ame nudged Tenten. “Go on- ask him! C’mon, what’ll it hurt? I can tell from here he’s girl shy! No WAY he’ll say no! Besides, I still need to learn my way around the Leaf, and it’ll be weird if it’s just you, me, and Gaara!”

Tenten gulped, but raised her hand. “H-hey, Ryouko?”

Now, this was a well-guarded secret, but Ryouko’s second crush had been on Tenten. But he had put paid to that thought- for her affections, he would have been up against Neji. And that was an impossible battle. Against a memory of Sasuke, Ryouko had stood a chance against Sakura, if he had just gotten the guts up to ask her out.

“What’s up, Tenten?”

Tenten gulped again, but stood her ground. “Say, uh, are you free tonight?”

“I am. Am I needed on a mission or something?”

Temari smacked her forehead in exasperation. “THAT’S WHY YOU’RE SINGLE, DUNCE! Gah! Boys are so stupid! She’s asking you out!”

“Oh…”

That had caught Ryouko beyond off-guard. Unfortunately, even though Tenten knew how gun-shy he was when it came to kunoichi, she was kind of taking his surprise as a turn down. So she was as surprised as Ryouko was when he said:

“Sure, I’d love to, Tenten. Where and what time?”

-

Ryouko’s silence had been partly due to shock. But there was another part to it. A worse one.

I’m a ‘revenge date’. That must be it. She saw me and Neji fighting earlier, and agreed with me. So she’s going to take a swipe at Neji by dating me. I want to date her, but this is happening for all the wrong reasons.

All the same, I can’t be sure. Maybe it IS me she likes. The only way to find out is to date her. At least I won’t be alone with her. God only knows what might happen. (Note- he’s probably thinking about Tenten’s proficiency with weapons, not…uh, you get it) So that girl is Ame, then. But who’s her date?


-

“You?!” Gaara rasped/Ryouko exclaimed. Ryouko immediately took up a formal stance.

“It’s uh…a pleasure, Lord Kazekage…” he choked out. Wow, that was as big a lie as I’ve ever told…

“…Idiot…”

Tenten shifted closer to Ryouko, giving him a warning nudge. Ame gripped Gaara’s arm, silently bidding him not to attack.

I don’t know how strong those two are, but they can’t be a match for Gaara. This date is off to a dubious start… Ame breathed out, trying to keep calm. Never a dull moment in the Hidden Leaf, that was for certain.

“C’mon guys, let’s just get the date going. No fighting. Just relaxing.”
I’ve had enough fighting for today. Is it Ryouko? Does he make other guys jealous or something? Or just guys who are strong? Ugh, I’ve gotta stop thinking about that. It’s no better than Neji bullying Lee. In this case, Ryouko is Lee, just standing up for himself.

Wait, why am I dating Ryouko? I mean, Neji and I were never ‘official’ or anything, but still… I mean, isn’t this kind of cheating on him? If we were never together, then no…technically. But this doesn’t feel right…
The date just started, Tenten. Give it some time. You know Ryouko well enough to just relax and take it easy. And if worse comes to worse, and we get a brawl…well, he can handle Gaara…
I hope.


-

Dinner was alright. No one really noticed the food. Some kind of seafood. Ryouko was too nervous to taste what he was eating; Tenten was uptight; Gaara was focused on Ame; Ame was fixated on Gaara.

Look at them. They’re so relaxed around each other… Ryouko noticed. He played with his chopsticks. How come? She looks like too nice of a girl to hang out with a hellish monster like that. Then again, I don’t know her. Maybe she’s a hellish monster, too?

Ryouko’s trying, but it’s pretty obvious we both lack dating experience. Or are first dates always this akward? I’m usually with Neji, but I’ve known him forever. I don’t know what to think when it comes to Ryouko. I mean, it’s not that I don’t like him…I’m just confused…

Gaara and Ame’s thoughts were on each other. Clearly, they had a clue when it came to dating. Ryouko and Tenten didn’t have any idea. Both of them were combat specialists. On paper, it seemed like they would be a good match. But their collective awkwardness was embarrassing.

That, and one other thing. While Ame and Gaara sampled off each other’s plates, Ryouko decided to see what was going on with Tenten.

“Are you alright?” he asked, trying to figure out a way to explain what he meant.

“I’m fine, Neji…I mean, Ryouko!”

Ryouko closed his eyes, nodding to himself. He stood up, pushing his chair back.

“Gaara, do you have a minute?”

Gaara glared at him. “…No.”

“I think you’d better make a minute…”

“…No.”

Ame rolled her eyes. “Will you boys knock it off?! Gaara, just see what he wants. I’m not going anywhere.” Ame exhaled in exasperation. “Sorry about that, Ryouko. You know how Gaara is…”

“All to well…” Ryouko muttered. He nodded in the direction that he and Gaara should go.

-

“What the hell do you want?” Gaara snapped at Ryouko the second they were out of earshot.

“Do me a favor and get Tenten and Ame talking. I’ve got a plan that will make this night more enjoyable for everyone.”

“You’re going to let me kill you?”

Ryouko put a hand on Gaara’s shoulder aggressively. “No, you stupid sand demon. You’ll see. Just keep them both put.”

-

Ame and Tenten had tried to make small talk. It hadn’t gone well.

“So, uh, what’s Gaara like when he’s not scaring the hell out of people?” Tenten managed to spit out. A-kward…

“He’s a sweetheart when you get right down to it,” Ame replied, shrugging. “Just like any other guy when you find their sensitive spot. How about that Ryouko guy?”

Tenten laughed a little. “Well, he’s scared of kunoichi. But he’s really a good guy. That’s why I feel kind of bad…”

“What do you mean?” Ame wanted to know. Tenten had been speaking cryptically, as if responding to her own thoughts rather than Ame’s questions and answers.

“Well, I…you see…I had a fight with a guy who I really, really like. I took Ryouko’s side in the fight, and I think I dated him out of…”

“Spite?” Ame filled in the blank.

“Yeah. I wonder if Ryouko knows…I don’t know what to do. I mean, I like him, but just as a friend. ‘though he’s my second choice…”

Ame smoothed her dress, buying herself a few seconds to think. “Well, I don’t know either of you personally, but I would say a guy that upstanding needs to hear the truth.”

Immediately, Tenten knew she was right.

“I’m going to tell him as soon as he gets back.” Tenten paused for a second. “So, uh, is Gaara…y’know…a nice guy?”

Ame had to stop and think for a minute. “W-ell…he’s brave and strong, and nice to me personally…”

The pregnant pause that Ame left at the end gave both girls a giggling fit, to the point of tears. They were laughing so hard they didn’t notice Gaara had come back.

But he didn’t have Ryouko with him. Instead…

“NEJI!”

-

Ryouko smirked to himself, albeit a little forlornly. “That’s how it should be. Heh. I’m such a dork…Well, I’m out, might as well go get a drink…”

“Hey, Ryouko!”

Ryouko winced as he always did when Lady Tsunade wanted something from him. “Yes, M’lady?”

“Looks like you’re free! Come drink with me! It’s on you! Haha, who says I’m out of the game? I’m dating a guy less than half my age!”

Ryouko didn’t dare say a word. There’s no correct way to respond to this except to pony up for the sake…
Then again, I guess I can say I dated Lady Tsunade. Until she sobers up and kills me for it…
My life sucks.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on April 13, 2009, 6:59:25 PM

andr28a on
andr28aLOL at the end...poor Ryouko