Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 22 - The Shore (Finished)

I take couples requests. CanonxCanon, OCxCanon only, though. For now, no yaoi/yuri. Please read and comment on at least 1 completed ch before making an rq.

Chapter 22 - The Shore (Finished)

Chapter 22 - The Shore (Finished)
Everyone was having a good time, Sakura noticed. Even Ryouko seemed to be enjoying himself. It was rare that they all went to the beach, so everyone was doing their best to relax.

To Sakura, a single girl in her late teens, this was a veritable cornucopia of hot guys. She was normally serious, so it didn’t seem to matter if she cut loose and boy-watched once in a while. A few guys around were taken, but the ones she knew were single…

There was Naruto; he had matured into a solid young ninja. Well, maybe ‘matured’ wasn’t the right word…He had gotten bigger and stronger, anyway.

There was Kakashi; too old for her, but still quite a catch!

Sai; …ew.

Yamato; Not bad…but those weird eyes of his…

There was Ryouko; !

Oh wow! I’ve never seen him without a shirt! Sakura put a hand to her mouth, trying to keep her watching as candid and casual as possible. He’s…hot!

Ryouko was sitting off to the side, by himself like usual. He gazed up wistfully a few times, as if thinking about joining the others. But he’d shake his head a little and go back to his studying. Clad in black shorts that fell just shy of his knees, black sandals, and with a short, blackened ANBU sword across his back, he came across as a pretty studious guy.

Man, there is something so sexy about shirtless guys with weapons like that… It’s like ‘don’t mess with me!’ is written on them! And I guess that that’s a modest swimsuit, but for Ryouko…That’s pretty darn generous!

-

A day at the beach. Had no else really figured out that this was odd?

Tsunade’s words rang in Ekyt’s head:
“There’s no reason for the others to know there’s been a lot of suspicious happenings in that beach village. That’s why you’re going.”

Tsunade had paused for a second, letting that sink in. Then she continued.

“But, I want you to have fun, if at all possible. Your anxiety needs to be kept in check, and relaxing will do it. And maybe, if you flash a little skin, you’ll land a certain kunoichi. You know…pink hair…cute butt…tiny bo-”

“Yes, m’lady!” Ryouko had butted in quickly, already reddening. “I’ll take care of it. What’s supposed to be going on?”

Tsunade steepled her fingers. “The tide has been…malicious.”


“Could she be any more vague?!” Ryouko muttered. “How the hell do I interpret ‘the tide has been…malicious’?!”

“HEY! RYOUKO!”

Ryouko turned quickly, hearing Sakura’s voice. For the first time today, he really noticed her.

Pink bikini…Oh man, she’s so beautiful! Smooth skin, gorgeous hair, those green eyes that are so incredibly astute…the cute butt…Whoa, hey, perv, slow it down!
Wait, isn’t it normal to think things like that? Agh, focus!


Instead of yelling back, Ryouko jogged over to her, suddenly feeling naked. That feeling only grew when she playfully sized him up.

Sakura put her hands on her hips, head cocked as if studying him. She reached for him carefully (It was a good instinct- even if it was her, Ryouko’s first idea was to put her in an armbar. No one ever reached for his face with good intentions), knocking a slightly overlong bang out of his face.

“There you go! How’re you gonna girl-watch with hair in your eyes?” Sakura asked him, sticking her tongue out. “Just kidding! I know you’re not the girl-watching type.”

Wanna bet? I’m looking at you right now, and man, it’s hard to look away! Ryouko thought to himself, gulping at the cute kunoichi’s touch while blushing at the attention she was bestowing on him.

“Too true. So, uh, are you having fun?” Ryouko managed to ask. I’ve got it so bad for this girl!

“Yeah! Hey, did you know about the legend of this beach?” she asked, her eyes shimmering with a bit of mischief. “It’s said that if you do something special for the guy or girl you like, you’ll be given a golden opportunity to tell them how you feel! That would be so cool, wouldn’t it!”

Ekyt smiled a little. “That would be great. That would make life easier for all those shy people.”

“Oh, like yourself, hmmm?” Sakura nudged Ekyt playfully with her shoulder. “C’mon, fess up- is there some girl you like?”

“Uh, well…you see…WHOA!” Ryouko was spared answering as a giant wave seemed to home in on Sakura. She stared wide-eyed. Since she hadn’t been privy to the whole ‘the tide has been malicious’ riddle, it was no wonder she was shocked.

Ryouko shook the cobwebs out quickly. Kicking his feet into the sand, he picked Sakura up and took off at top speed. The wave was going to get them. There was only one more thing to do.

“Earth Style: Mud Wall!” Ryouko barked, making handsigns with a single hand. “Sakura, can you hang on to me? We’ve gotta keep moving, and I think I’ll be needing another hand!”

Sakura responded to something in Ryouko’s voice. She swung around so that she was hanging on to him piggyback style. That surprised even her.

He’s a natural leader. I just…reacted…HUH?!

Ryouko looked over his shoulder to see the wave change in a peculiar way. There was a sword, seemingly made of the waves themselves, jutting out of the front. Further than that, a hand was holding it! But that was just a diversion.

SLICE!

Ryouko’s left arm was cut by a whizzing kunai. Blood spurted from the wound. Grunting in pain, Ryouko skidded backwards so that he was facing the wave. The ANBU sword on his back was drawn and in his right hand.

The wave made contact with the mud wall, giving Ryouko a few seconds to plan. He was quick about it, too-

“Stay here!” he told Sakura, kicking off again. Aiming for the wave, Ryouko swung his sword and struck the arm holding the sword. There was a grunt of pain, and the wave retracted.

But just as suddenly, the wave aimed for Sakura. She was still frozen in shock, but only for a second. She cocked her fist back, ready to smash whatever was in that wave.

“Hyoh!”

Ryouko had somehow caught up with the wave, leapt from underneath it, and stabbed. Blood mixed with the water in a gruesome way. But Ryouko leapt up and kicked, destroying the tip of the wave. He yanked his sword back out, landing in front of Sakura, poised to defend her.

“Are you alright?” Ryouko called over his shoulder, his voice deadly calm.

“Y-Yeah, I’m fine. What the hell was that?!”

Ryouko prepared himself to lie. It was never easy- especially not to Sakura.
“I’m not entirely sure. But it seemed more interested in you than me. It might be best to get you back with the group…”

-

That night, the Leaf ninja were going to camp out on the beach. The soft sand was cool at night, and the moon provided enough light to get things set up. Seeing as this was a chance to get away, Kakashi just happened to look away when Naruto broke out some alcohol.

Ryouko was sitting away from the group. He always thought it best to let team seven have their time together. He was the outsider, and didn’t think he should interfere.

“Ryouko?”

“Yes, Kakashi-sempai?” (Ryouko is a jonin. As such, he doesn’t add –sensei. )

“Do you know something about these waves? It’s not like you to want to come along on a day at the beach, so I’m guessing you know something…”

Ryouko looked up at Kakashi. “It’s best I say that I don’t know anything, sempai.”

Kakashi got the message. “Well then, it’s best I say that if there IS an enemy, hypothetically, that you can’t talk about due to orders…would I be correct to say that I should be on my guard?”

“Hypothetically speaking?” Ryouko asked to confirm. “Speaking that way…yes. Also, quite possibly, your more gifted students might be the target, if I were to make a completely unfounded, uneducated guess.”

Kakashi patted Ryouko’s head. “Well then, I’ll leave you to your mission. But…wouldn’t you be better off protecting us by sitting with us. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to order you to do so…”

Ryouko shrugged. “Orders are orders.”

Kakashi offered Ryouko a hand up. Pulling him to his feet, he gave Ryouko a gentle push toward the group.

-

It was evident very quickly at who could hold their alcohol. Ryouko and Kakashi sat across from each other, their faces slightly red from the alcohol. Yamato was already making his version of ‘camp’ (A giant house made from his wood jutsu). Sai was drawing the sunset, using charcoal for some reason. It didn’t make sense to Ryouko, but he didn’t know art. He DID know what he liked.

“Hey, you! Ryouko! Thanks for the save earlier!”

Sakura crawled over to Ryouko, sprawling out on the sand on her stomach. She looked up and giggled.

“Yer all red! Sunburn? Or are ya just nervoush ‘caush a girl ish tawkin’ to ya?!”

Ryouko smiled tolerantly. “Probably because a drunk girl is talking to me.”

“I’m not drunk!” Sakura protested, climbing up Ryouko’s back, wrapping her legs around his torso. “If I was drunk, I woulda been all over you!”

Ryouko said nothing. He just blushed more, smiling in a reserved way.

Sakura climbed around him until she was in a piggyback position, her head on his shoulder. She was holding her drink in front of him, as if she wanted him to take a gulp of it, too.
“Man, you really do turn red aroun’ the ladies, dontcha!”

Sakura kept crawling around him until she finally collapsed- right on his lap.

Ryouko didn’t know what to make of that. He looked to the other members who were still sober. None of them said anything. Indeed, they even pretended not to notice. It was no secret that Ryouko liked Sakura. She was snoozing quite comfortably on his lap for the moment, so no one saw any reason to get upset.

Ryouko considered his position.

Well, the girl I’ve had a crush on for nearly three years is sleeping on my lap. She’s wearing a bikini, and she hit on me while she was drunk. The sun is rising, and it’s beautiful here. That should be it- perfection.
But I can’t rest. I can’t enjoy this. That wave thing…damn it.
I’ll make sure to get even with whoever is behind this wave thing for ruining this perfect moment.


Ryouko paused to look down. Sakura’s ‘sleepy face’ was incredibly cute, and for a moment, Ryouko fell for her even harder. He smiled and gently flipped a lock of hair out of her face. She didn’t even stir.

Could she feel comfortable with me, somehow? No shinobi, no matter how drunk, let’s themselves fall asleep unless they’re certain they’re safe.

If that’s the case, that’s the highest praise I’ve ever gotten. For her to feel safe with me like that…

Unless, of course, she just doesn’t consider me a ‘threat’…or a guy…

Shoulda quit while I was ahead.


--

Ryouko forced himself to stay awake. The others were asleep for the time being, so it only made sense there should be a guard.

“Mmm- Mmh?”

Sakura woke up, moaning a little as she tried to gain her bearings.

“Ah…where’d I get a pillow? Oh!”

Ryouko simply said ‘Good morning’, not stating the obvious.

“Ah he he…Sorry ‘bout that!” Sakura said sheepishly, hands clasped in apology as she got up. “Guess I was kinda…drunk.”

“Just a little,” Ryouko replied, shrugging as if it was nothing.
Get drunk more often, okay?

“Any idea about what was up with that psychotic wave the other day? Why’d it chase me?” Certainly a valid question on Sakura’s part.

“I’m not sure. More than a freak tide, that’s for sure,” Ryouko responded.

“Mmm…Hey, how ‘bout a quick walk? I bet you’re sore after having me in your lap all night. How’d you sit in seiza for that long anyway?”

“Training. Try doing that under a waterfall.”
Whoa, that was close to flirting! Points for me!

“I might get my chance if that wave comes back.”

With that, they started to walk down the beach. Ryouko actually pinched himself to make sure he wasn’t dreaming.

’kay, let’s push pause for a second. I’m walking down the beach with a hot girl who I just happen to love. She’s comfortable with me, and seems genuinely happy right now. And me…screw that stupid wave! Who gives a rat’s @$$ about wave?

“Hey, y’know, you never answered my question earlier…”

Ryouko froze. She WOULD bring that up.

Sakura gave him a playful wink. “C’mon, you can tell me! You’ve totally got some girl on the mind! It’s all over your face! So, who it, huh?! Tenten? Temari, maybe? Tell me it’s not Ino! Anyone but that! Even Lady Tsunade!”

Ryouko made a face. “No offense meant to our Hokage, but…yuck. No, um, actually…yeah, there is someone. But I shouldn’t even bring it up. I’m not sure how she’d take it.”

“Oh, go on! I won’t tell her, I promise!”
I’ve gotta know who this guy has a crush on! It’s one lucky girl. He’s strong, a hard worker, a hottie… If he’d just loosen up a little…

“I’m not concerned about you telling her. It’s impossible,” Ryouko informed her, trying to laugh off his nervousness. “Since you’re the girl I meant.”

Ba-dump. It was one of those moments where you could hear every little sound. Every heartbeat, every grain of sand moving, and the lack of breaths being taken. Both shinobi has stopped taking in air out of pure shock.

Oh s***! What have I done?! I just told her! Okay, okay, calm down. She thinks you’re a total freak, so while she’s deciding what way to kill you, you can summon Taleo and get up high, out of her reach.

As for Sakura- well, she had never had anyone admit their love to her. This was new for her. How to respond? She debated that for a few seconds. Ultimately, though, what came to mind was:

-I’ve known this boy for years.
-I fell asleep on his lap so easily.
-I’m not offended by him confessing like this.

Her physical response, once she assured herself that it didn’t make her ‘easy’, was to simply tackle Ryouko and pin him down. She could overpower him when it came to raw physical strength. And beyond that, he wouldn’t raise a hand to any female, let alone her.
It took her all of two seconds to start kissing him. It took him maybe five seconds to kiss back. Her hand ran down his chest, feeling the definition of each muscle from the chest to the abdomen. His skin was smooth yet clearly tough. There were still cuts and scrapes from the countless knives that had hit him, and no doubt marks from his own training.

Ryouko’s hands were wrapped around Sakura’s back. He didn’t have a whole lot room to move. Not that he would if he could. The instant their lips met, any struggle he had even considered mounting was gone.
He pulled her in tighter reflexively. Their chests met in the embrace and his heart skipped a beat. His hands on her back, running down her smooth skin and occasionally hitting the knot of her bikini top in the back were gentle. So gentle that they raised little goosebumps in their wake, prompting Sakura to move her head to Ryouko’s shoulder.

“Hug me for real already! I can handle it!” she whispered, giving his ear an affection peck.

He responded by actually listening to her. But when he did, she rolled over so that he was on top of her now.

“Go on. Don’t be shy. Believe me, I’m cool with making out with you like this.” Sakura reached up to force Ryouko’s head down.

“Are you sure? I, uh…”

“I’m not letting you get away. If I have to cut your muscles up to keep you where you are, I will. This isn’t immoral- we’ve known each other for two long. We’re not two strangers making out.”

That was good enough for Ryouko. What he knew about kissing and making out was far less than the bare minimum knowledge for a twenty year old guy, but he could go with the flow.
--

Kakashi watched with satisfaction as his little Sakura tackled her first boyfriend.

“Well well, about time. If those two moved any slower, we’d never get to the fourth book in the ‘Makeout’ series.”

Master Jiraiya nodded vigorously, taking notes. “Wow, she really blossomed! Such a supple young female. And Ryouko- he’s the perfect protagonist for my new book. Kakashi, for helping me set up with wave thing, I’ll give you the first copy, plus my sketches.”

Kakashi briefly felt bad for deceiving those two. But he rationalized it with ‘we’re all happier this way. Sakura gets a moody, brooding boy. Ryouko get the right girl. Hinata can go after Naruto freely now. Lady Tsunade doesn’t have to watch Sakura mope anymore. (I can’t believe Lady Tsunade agreed to this!)And I get my book.’ So that made it okay!

“It feels good to do a good deed, doesn’t it?”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on May 26, 2009, 2:06:43 AM

andr28a on
andr28aAnother great story