Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Second Confrontation (part 1)

My OC (Ekyt/Ryouko) takes on Andr28's creation, Ryofu. See the first chapter for further description.

Chapter 4 - The Second Confrontation (part 1)

Chapter 4 - The Second Confrontation (part 1)
PLEASE NOTE: THIS FIC TAKES PLACE PARTIALLY IN THE NARUTO WORLD, AND PARTIALLY IN A VERSION CREATED BY ANDR28. CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN THROUGHOUT THE STORY AT DIFFERENT TIMES. TO START OFF:

EKYT/RYOUKO/OTHER ALIASES FOR SAME CHAR- nextguardian
Ryofu- Andr28

Ekyt lay awake, eyes bloodshot. His hand was currently moving in odd, jerky motions, picking a hole through the tatami mat. The bags under his eyes had grown, and now made him look almost more sickly.

Sleep…what’s the point? I can’t sleep. I might as well study…Because, someday, I’ll run into him again. And her, too. I’ll see them again, and this time, I’ll take him down. And her…I can’t forgive her. I can’t understand her. I will stop trying to. This damned fight has gone on for two years now, all in my head. The first fight…I lost because of her. She chose me to die…she let a bastard demon who couldn’t understand…couldn’t love her…over me…the one who would have given anything and everything for her…she helped him, meaning to or not…she was a dupe, and I’ll never forgive the one who duped her…
Ryofu Housen.


Ekyt got up, immediately punching the wall, cracking the hard plaster and wood. As he retracted his bloodied hand, moonlight streamed in. A full moon…just like at the fight between Ekyt and Ryofu.

Even if I face him again, in my current state, what’s the point? We’d only fight to another stalemate…then again, I DID seal his demon off. The Five-Tailed Hokou, or something like that. I suppose it’s too much to hope the Akatsuki got him…

Ekyt pulled out his scrolls, lighting a chakra cigarette to keep awake. A glance at his right, bloodied hand stopped Ekyt as the cigarette met his mouth. It was twitching. Ekyt studied it for a moment, trying to ascertain if there was any medical damage. When he concluded there was no lasting damage, Ekyt let his thoughts drift again.

An action I can’t control…or is it fear? Am I afraid to fight him again? Fear…that’s unacceptable. I’ll find him and beat him. That’s what these two years have been for. That’s all I lived for. Not just revenge, but there’s a vague ray of hope that I might save lives…and maybe even…her…

Ekyt’s dark eyes closed. Slowly, he reached for a container of sake. He poured himself a glass of the strong rice brew, hoping to stop his heart from beating so quickly, and to stop his hand from shaking.

I’ll kill him. For better or worse, I’ll kill him; one way or the other.

--

It’s been two years since Ekyt and Ryofu clashed. In that time, Konohagakure re-grew it’s lost strength. Minus Kakashi and Sasuke, of course. Sakura herself was gone with Ryofu, leaving only Naruto as the original member of Team 7. Sai and Yamato had been added, along with Ekyt’s only protégé, Yuushi Akamadori. It was no longer Team Seven, but the four got along well enough (minus Sai, of course) and soon gelled into a strong team.

As for Ekyt…he became a lot of things. All of them good, but none of them as a jonin or chunin. He was stuck as a genin. Couple that with everything else, and you had one angry twenty year old.

I had a life, finally. Possible promotion…and her. Sakura. My girlfriend. And what memories? None. A first kiss, and little else. I know love is painful, but this…this is worse. Her…in the arms of another man. Even if it’s not love, it’s not with me. I had to let her go, didn’t I? Had no choice…All to make her happy.

Then I hear about the deaths. Kakashi and Sasuke. Two more powerful than me, killed by…her. No, not her, she was controlled by him. Bastard. Bastard. Bastard! BASTARD!

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Strong enough to confront what didn’t kill you. You train, you earn your stripes, and then you KICK THE @$$ of what made the mistake of letting you live!


Ekyt rolled up his sleeves, studying another scroll. This one…

I wouldn’t lay my eyes on this normally, but you only get one shot at vengeance; TRUE vengeance. If you lose a second time, then you’ve gotta win three times. If you lose three times, you’d better win four times. This will take one shot. One win. A loss is death. Two more years of suffering…no.

No more chances, no excuses, no more lies.


--

And what of Ryofu?

Two years…two years since he crossed me! With his ‘values’, and his ‘good guy’ talk, and all that crap about the soul winning a fight! Utter Bulls***! All of it! And yet, in the end…he died, but he took my power with him.

Too bad nothing lasts forever. Not even the elements, I guess. No matter how powerful you are, there’s always someone more powerful. There’s always someone to aspire to. And that’s why I fight- to be the most powerful. Well, that’s not ALL of it, but enough for now.



“Can it be removed? A simple question, so you can give me a simple answer,” Ryofu said, his voice strained with exaggerated patience.

“Of course it can. But it will come at a price,” the voice responded.

“I anticipated that. Nothing is ever free. Name your price, it will be worth it to be rid of this damn tattoo!” Ryofu had to work hard to keep himself in check. Losing my temper now could cost me…and Sakura shouldn’t see that happen. The last time I lost my temper…well, no need to go there. That’s a horror story, even to me!

-

Sakura watched in silence as Ryofu bargained.

I watched him die…he killed himself, all because I chose him to die over Ryofu. I still have nightmares of that moment. Watching that sword arch down and cut his head off, the blood flowing from his stomach…like rivers…it’s scary. But I can’t tell Ryofu…I can’t tell anyone. I gave up everything for him, I don’t want him to think I’m having second thoughts or something. I owe him so much!

But it cost me Ekyt…the boy I truly loved. The look of pain in his eyes when I chose him to die…I cried for a week. I’d never seen him so hurt and frustrated. I almost wanted to reach out and help him. I could have healed the stomach wound and blocked the sword…that’s what troubles me the most.

I could have helped him. But I willingly chose not to.


-

“Seal Release!”

The seal on Ryofu’s stomach disintegrated, evaporating as black smoke into the air.

“Now, about our price…” a dangerous set of eyes glowed, looking at Ryofu.

“Yes, yes…Blood Manipulation Jutsu!” (Blood Manipulation Jutsu- property of Andr28)

Before they could respond, those who had just helped Ryofu were now bound by his will.

“Funny story- I can control the water content of your blood, making you my slaves! Well, I guess it isn’t funny for YOU! Now then- damnit!”

Itachi Uchiha had blocked the Jutsu.

“Control of the Akatsuki is a very impressive thing. But you’ve made a mistake. Time without the Hokou has made you weaker. Only a few of us were here in body and spirit. Our minds are usually the only attendees to this type of meeting. So you’ve left myself and my partner free…But that’s not your only mistake.”

As Itachi was disappearing, his eyes seemed to flash back to another time.

“You’ve also killed my little brother, whom I knowingly let survive my massacre. That will not go unpunished. But as you’re too much for even myself at this point, our conflict will have to wait until I’ve received backup.”

“Bring who you will! I’ll either control them, or they’ll die! Unless you don’t show your REAL self here again, coward! And your brother- hah! Child’s play! If HE was your chosen successor, your pathetic clan is better off in hell!” Ryofu snarled and laughed at the same time. If he had sent Itachi Uchiha packing, then he was getting closer to being the one strong person that all could aspire to. There were three legendary Sannin, and Ryofu was equally as powerful as one of them- Orochimaru. He hadn’t yet tested his skill against the others, but that was only a matter of time, now that he controlled the Akatsuki.

--

Tsunade had seen the change in Ekyt very quickly. She had called it to the jonin’s attention, and even Jiraiya’s as well. The change was understandable, but disturbing. Today, as Tsunade was perched on the Hokage Mansion, with Jiraiya next to her, she saw Ekyt walk by. For once, he didn’t have a scroll in front of him. But something was wrong. He was wearing a long black coat, as he did when he first came to the village. His eyes were set forward and down, as if he couldn’t look at the world around him. Or perhaps as if he were in another time.

It wasn’t horribly strange by itself. This scene happened quite a bit- really whenever Ekyt needed to sulk. It was as if he hung a ‘do not disturb’ sign around his neck each time he put on that coat. It was the other change that disturbed Tsunade more.

“There, you can see it at his waist. He’s never without it now,” Tsunade said, pointing to the object in question. Jiraiya craned his neck.

“A sword? That’s not strange, Tsunade. You know the kid’s past as well as I do…”

Tsunade shook her head. “No. I know it BETTER than you do. I happened upon Sarutobi-sensei’s crystal ball a couple years ago. What I saw frightened the hell out of me. I’ve never been more worried about that kid than I am now. I need to ask him, but I can’t get the words out…”

“And what are those words?” Jiraiya wanted to know.

“Why did you fake your own death? Who was it you fought? Who took Sakura?” Tsunade shook her head in frustration. “I don’t care about him; not at all! But Sakura was my apprentice! And he was the last one with her! But then I watched him…he committed ritual suicide. But a day later, he showed up at the village. His eyes were glassed over, he was running a fever, he looked like he hadn’t slept in days. He had the hell scratched out of him, too. From a fight- a big one. But I don’t have any details. And him and I…well, we clash most of the time. I doubt he’d talk with me. He hardly told his own girlfriend anything about himself; so why would he talk to me?”

“Tsunade, instead of focusing on the ‘why’, why don’t you think of him as a chance to get Sakura back? You know he’ll be going after her eventually. Why not give him what he needs to bring her back? I can’t condone using him…”

“But I can!” Tsunade declared. “And I will, too. I’ll hate myself, because I just can’t hate that kid entirely. But I WILL do what I have to.”

Below them, Ekyt kept walking, his left hand on the guard of his sword. No one noticed or commented, surprisingly. Even people Ekyt knew…no one bothered with him. While Tsunade watched Ekyt’s sword, Jiraiya watched his eyes.

Those eyes weren’t as lifeless as Tsunade believed.

When Orochimaru left the village, I moped around the same way, Jiraiya remembered. No, not exactly the same. Ekyt’s eyes are closer to Orochimaru’s than mine. Hate-filled, lusting for vengeance…I need to talk with Ekyt before it’s too late and he does something he regrets.

--

Ekyt walked silently through all the people, not even noticing who they were. He had been this way for two years, so no one took it personally anymore. They just chalked it up as Ekyt being shell-shocked from some terrible battle.

That was fine with Ekyt.

Outside the village, Ekyt heard bells on the wind. So close to the village, he thought nothing of it. The farther he got from the village, the more he dwelled on the merry little sound. Finally, safely away, Ekyt halted.

“I know you’re following me. You haven’t been keeping it a secret, wearing those bells, so it’s not skill on my part. If you have something to say to me, just come out and speak. If you have to attack me, hurry up and do so. If you have nothing to say to me, then leave me alone and stop wasting my time.”

Ding ding.

“Doesn’t sound like we’re welcome, Itachi.”

“Given our previous conflicts, I can imagine why, Kisame. Regardless, he’s the only one who might believe our story.”

“…You’re right. Maybe I can kill him when we’re done with this…”

“You can try,” Ekyt said, still unmoving. All except his left thumb. That was moving just enough to free his sword from it’s case a little bit. “Itachi and Kisame. From the way you’re talking, I’d gather you’ve come looking for me. Or, at least, someone I can help you find…”

“Our target’s not the Jinchuuriki today. We’ve come…I can’t say it, Itachi.”

Itachi appeared in front of Ekyt before Ekyt could draw his sword.

“We’ve come to you for help.”

--

“Doesn’t look like I got them all, Sakura. That’s a shame. Oh well, doesn’t matter. Hidan, Kakuzu, Zetsu, Sasori, and Deidara will be enough. They DO say that the leader of the Akatsuki is incredibly hard to beat; he’s worshipped as a deity in Amegakure. -?”

Sakura wasn’t paying much attention. She was looking off, staring into space. Ryofu huffed in frustration, but did nothing else.

It’s only natural, I guess. She hasn’t gotten over the whole ‘bonds’ thing. I understood those once, too. I guess I still do to some extent, if I can feel empathy for her. The loss of her loyal boyfriend. It didn’t make matters easier, considering she had to choose. But that’s how it worked out. This moping is pissing me off, though…

“Would you feel better if there were flowers on his grave?” Ryofu said suddenly. Anything to stop her damn sulking!

“I guess…it’s not just that, though. Ryofu, don’t you get worried. I mean…when you’re at the top, you get a giant bullseye put on your back. Aren’t you concerned that someone powerful might aim for that bullseye?” Sakura asked timidly, sitting cross-legged on a stone hearth that had only a few embers remaining in it.

“I welcome the challenge, so no. Come on now, we’ll visit his grave.”

I’ll surprise her and reanimate him. I don’t know if that’ll help or hurt, though…oh well, one way to find out. Besides, keeping my jutsu fresh will be a good thing.

--

Ryofu knew where Ekyt’s grave was. He didn’t visit it but once, and that was hardly a social call. It was more of a check of his own handiwork.

He didn’t have a pulse when I dug him up. I don’t know what I was worried about. I’ll give him credit for being a man of his word, and even given me a lot of trouble. But when all was said and done, I was the better of us. I own the Akatsuki. All he got out of the battle was a six-foot hole. Hardly the spoils of a victor. Well then, time to get to work.

Sakura had prayed quietly, but she stopped suddenly. There was a chill in the air. It was thick with chakra; a familiar chakra. Ryofu wasn’t familiar with the chakra, so he didn’t notice. Besides that, he was busy preparing his jutsu. That made Sakura sigh with relief.

He didn’t notice? I guess that’s a good thing. If he had, he would have gone ballistic. A chakra like that is unique…Ekyt’s emotions fed his chakra. He was never happy, I guess, except when he was with me for that month. But the ‘depressed’ feel of his chakra- that I know all too well. Could it be? …

No, he’s dead. I saw the corpse. No one could fake that. I’m just missing him. Enough foolishness.


--

“Do you mean to tell me that…that demon took the Akatsuki over? Just like that?” Ekyt shook his head. “I’m not surprised you escaped, both of you. But how much power has he gained in two years?”

“More than you’d care to know. Although…you don’t seem to be the same person, either.” Itachi’s Sharingan didn’t show any change. It was more of Ekyt’s aura that had changed. “You…you are fighting without hope, but you’re stronger for it?”

Ekyt shrugged, reaching for a scroll. “I haven’t just sat around moping for two years. I’ve studied and trained hard, waiting for an opportunity like this. As for the change you sense…that’s my emotions being sealed away. They get in the way, so when I’m feeling a particularly nasty emotion, I seal all of them in a scroll. I can access them at will.”

“That’s not too different from how we work, Itachi.” Kisame shouldered his giant sword and leaned against a tree.

“No, it’s not. But against our enemy, clear thinking may not be enough.” Itachi deactivated his Sharingan, feeling no threat. His eyes slid to Ekyt. “He believes that you’re dead. As does the girl, Sakura.”

Ekyt narrowed his eyes. “Well, I did die, in a manner of speaking. ‘Ekyt’ is dead. I’m more of what remains of him. I’m the same person, but I’m less inclined to be merciful these days. The alias ‘Ekyt’ was both my biggest pride and my biggest blunder. I made him into a fool who let a fight be decided by someone else. Never again- better I should die in the attempt to win than let a third party claim victory or defeat in my stead.”

Kisame had fought with Ekyt before this, but he was different now. “So if you aren’t ‘Ekyt’, what should we call you? If we’re going to be comrades for a short time, I guess I should know your name.”

Ekyt had his eyes closed, his sword across his shoulder. “Since ‘Ekyt’ is dead, this one doesn’t have a name. My sword is called ‘Kaitou no Seikatsu’ (‘Sharp Sword of Life’, roughly translated. Name is mine).”

“You named your own sword? Kinda pathetic. What does that blade do to earn that name?” Kisame taunted.

“It’s a link to my old existence. If ‘Ekyt’ no longer exists, but ‘I’ do, there must be a link. I’ve chosen this sword to be it. If you have an objection, speak to the blade. It’s not respectful for someone to speak ill like you just did, then ask a favor.”

Itachi had set up this little test purposely. He sat back and watched. He’s cold and ruthless, not at all like his old self. He’s spoken truthfully, as far as I can tell, at all times. The most disturbing part of all this is that he doesn’t acknowledge Kisame or myself as a threat…
It’s not out of arrogance or confidence. He simply doesn’t care. If we were to attack, he would just attack back. You can almost see the cold logic in his thoughts.


--

Ryofu used his mastery over the elements to lift the dirt in the grave. The grave itself was small and modest, at the base of a maple tree. It was little more than a rock with ‘Ekyt’ carved on it. There were flowers on the grave, but they were withered and dead.

Good. No one comes here anymore. I wonder why? Did his own village despise him that much?
WHAT?! You’re kidding. You MUST be kidding!


Ekyt’s grave had a body in it, but it wasn’t Ekyt’s.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

hflp on December 16, 2008, 4:46:57 AM

hflp on
hflpYou have to be kidding me. He not only has to fight Ryofu but the Akatsuki as well. What a pain in the @$$.

andr28a on December 15, 2008, 7:10:28 PM

andr28a on
andr28aRyofu in control of Akatsuki? Didn't see that coming.
Nice one, I look forward to see how this develops