Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 29 - Arc IV: Harsh Reality- Chapter 3

My OC is forced to play servant to Naruto and Sakura. He must ignore his own dreams to see that Sakura and Naruto live happily ever after- either as a couple, or as the two strongest shinobi ever.

Chapter 29 - Arc IV: Harsh Reality- Chapter 3

Chapter 29 - Arc IV: Harsh Reality- Chapter 3
Sitting in the wooden dojo as the four from the Leaf plus the five Sand were three more people. Two men and one woman, all in their early twenties, were sitting comfortably on cushions. They raised their heads only when the shadows of the newly arrived shinobi fell on them.

“Eh? I didn’t hear your coming. I apologize,” said the man on the left.

“Yes, I’ve had this problem for years,” agreed the man on the right. The two were identical, and spoke almost mechanically. As if their answers were being given to them, rather than actually ‘thought’ about.

“I see you’ve noticed,” the one of the left spoke again, standing up and offering a bow. “This is the only way I can communicate, I’m afraid. Ever since I…”

“…Lost my hearing and eyesight. The ones speaking,” the one of the right said, picking up where the left person stopped, “are tuned in to my thoughts. Now, why have you come?”

Asuma blew out a breath, not sure about how to communicate.
“W-ell…we’re here because there have been attacks around the Sand Village. And apparently, you folks don’t have the best reputation. We’re here to investigate that…”

The woman in the middle nodded, sitting up on her cushion. She opened her eyes. They were sightless pools of gray, time having long since put a film over them.

“Will you hear our story?” asked the one of the left?

“Yes, please. It needs to be told. We don’t have the Kazekage’s ear, and he needs to know why…”

“…his Father banished us to this corner of the village.”

Sakura and Naruto exchanged glances.
“Uh…” was Naruto’s response.

“Do we have time for stories?” Sakura whispered to Shikamaru, who only shrugged. If Asuma was set to listen, then they would have to follow his lead.

The one in the center beckoned the young boy who had attacked Naruto over. He was an odd thing. He had hair and eyes of the same blue color. It looked both natural and abnormal at the same time. His face was set in a stubborn expression.

“…picking on me…for water style…”

Naruto perked up. “Huh? Water style? What’s so odd about that?”

The one of the left spoke again. “Everything. Among a desert people, how did one talented in…”

“Water Ninjutsu come about? That is the source of…”

“…our ridicule. It’s why we’re so distrusted. Through no fault of our own, our chakra nature has excluded us…”

“…from our brethren of the Sand. From here, Yuuko will speak.”

The woman with the gray hair and menacing chakra nodded.
“Yes…please, make yourselves comfortable. It may be a long story for you. To us, it is a relief to tell it. Especially to someone who may be able to speak to the Kazekage on our behalf. He isn‘t as nearsighted as his traitorous father…”

That was news. Gaara’s father, the Third Kazekage- a traitor?
--
--

Ryouko walked toward the Fire Daimyo’s temple. The forest was a nice break from the desert they had exited. Azami thought so, too, as she walked with Ryouko. She took a deep breath, then exhaled, thinking a little abnormally for her.

This is nice…kind of like he’s my boyfriend, and we’re talking a walk in the forest. The solutiude; only each other for company; the forest being such a perfect place. I wish that could be the truth of my reality. I wish I didn’t have to tell him ‘no’ and act like a dog.
I’m no good for him. I’m no good to anyone. I work alone because I have to. I’m a bad person. I’ve gotten so greedy and corrupt. I wish I could talk to him about it. To ANYONE, I guess. But if anyone would understand…
Why not?


“Hey, can we sit for a minute?”

Ryouko found he was tempted. Rather, he had no choice. Azami bragged his collar and pulled him down. Then she plopped down, sitting back to back with him.

Ryouko could FEEL the trepidation coming from Azami. But he didn’t prompt her to say anything. He just sat there and acted as a wall for her. When she finally did speak, Ryouko was relieved to hear what she had to say. Someone opening up to him was nice.

“…I…was hoping to ask you…could you listen to my story?”

Ryouko grunted in surprise. “Didn’t see that coming. But you listened to mine; I’m more than happy to hear you out.”

Azami leaned her head back, twisting her upper body until her head was on his shoulder.
“…There’s more. I need you to…judge me.”

“Judge you?”

“Yes…” Azami put a hand on her chest, feeling her heart. “I’m so wracked by guilt and frustration that I can’t tell if I’m…well, right. Just. Whatever you want to call it. I need someone else to hear about what I’ve done, and then tell me what they think of me. But-” she held up a finger, despite the fact he couldn’t see the gesture.

“But?”

“You’ve gotta promise you won’t hold back because you like me. If, at the end, you think I’m a bad person, then you’ve got to tell me so. Don’t save my feelings is what I’m getting at.”

Ryouko was more than a little intrigued at this point. Must be one juicy story.
“Sure; I can do that. But answer one question for me first.”

“mm?”

Ryouko titled his head back to look up at the thick canopy above him. It was a tapestry of still life. The creatures sensed the two sitting there and stopped dead, waiting to see if they were hunter or prey to the creatures. Everything was still, save for a falling leaf here and there.
“…Am I a bad person for running off on Naruto and Sakura? I didn’t HAVE to leave…I did for my sake. And I’ve felt guilty about it ever since. I just don’t know if I made the right choice?”

Azami stood up, again seizing Ryouko by the collar. She gently pushed him toward a tree with a large trunk, sitting him down. Then she sat next to him, leaning up against his shoulder and holding his arm.

“You don’t have it in you to be a bad person. You want to get stronger for yourself…and you protect others, so you’re STILL taking care of other people. Those two need time together. You can’t wet nurse them. All of you will grow stronger by the time apart. And, after all…”
Why can’t this be my reality? Why can’t I just love him without guilt or fear of dragging him down to hell with me?
“…Absence makes the heart grown fonder.”

With that, she began her story, curled up half on top of Ryouko.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on June 27, 2010, 10:03:26 AM

andr28a on
andr28aRyouko is not the only one intrigued about hearing Azami's little story