Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - The Gift

Raven worrys over what to get Beastboy for his Birthday....but sometimes the simplest of gifts can be the best. BBXRAE

Chapter 1 - The Gift

Chapter 1 - The Gift
The Gift

 

It was morning time in Titans tower and Cyborg was already in the middle of preparing breakfast. Raven was sipping her tea over the counter while Starfire, who was sitting on the couch, played with Silkie. Robin sat nearby leaning his elbows on the counter and reading the newspaper. The smell of fried meat caused him to look up at Cyborg.

"Ham and bacon" Robin stated a slight smirk coming across his face "I''m sure Beastboy willappreciate that"

"Hey man...it''s not my fault the little grass stain doesn''t eat meat" Cyborg replied "Besides would you really rather have tofu for breakfast"

Robin made a face, which clearly stated that he didn’t, and Cyborg smiled as he went back to cooking.

"Friends it is nearing the time for friend Beastboy''s arrival, is it not?" Starfire asked as she stood up from her spot on the couch and floated behind Robin.

"It''s only 8:30," Cyborg said checking the time "Beastboy shouldn''t be up for at least another hour"

"You are certain" Starfire asked with slight concern.

"Try and enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts" Raven replied though she admitted that Beastboy had been less of a pestlately and her words were mostly a force of habit.

"Why so worried, Star" Robin asked curiously

"Are we not to be planning his party of surprise?" Starfire asked

"It''s surprise party," Robin corrected with a smile "And I think we''ve got everything covered"

"Not like it''s gonna be much of a surprise" Cyborg replied "He''s only reminded us about his birthday a thousand times"

"Yes I suppose but celebrating ones day of birth is a most joyous occasion" Starfire replied, "I fear that if we are not properly prepared we may disappoint him"

Robin smiled at Starfire''s concern. "I''m sure everything will be fine Star" He reassured her "And Beastboy will love it"

"How could he not?" Cyborg asked,"We got cake, ice cream, tofu, balloons, and lets not forget gifts"

At the mention of the word ''gifts'' Raven paused in drinking her tea.

"Oh yes" Starfire replied with an eager smile "I am very excited about the giving of gifts, it is my favorite part"

"Well I know he''s gonna like my gift"Cyborg boasted "The newest release of Mega Monkey Fighters V...he''ll love it"

"Do you mean him or you" Robin asked with a small smirk.

"Both" Cyborg grinned back.

"Oh I do hope he likes my gift as well" Starfire replied "I had purchased it at the mall of shopping just last week with friend Raven"

Raven nodded though she knew the trip hadn''t done her any good at the time. Inwardly she sighed it shouldn''t be so hard to find Beastboy a gift; after all he would probably like anything that she got him.

Starfire watched Raven as she stared down at her cup of tea in deep thought.

"Friend Raven" She asked in a calm and polite voice "Might I speak with you in private for a moment"

Raven gave Starfire a confused stare but nodded as the two made their way to the next room.

"Okay Starfire" Raven replied "What''s this all about?"

"I noticed that you are troubled" Starfire replied plainly "And I am wondering if you are concerned about your gift for friend Beastboy"

"I just haven''t found anything yet" Raven replied in a low voice.

"I see" Starfire nodded "You wish to get him something special"

Raven gave Starfire a strange look...

"I guess" She finally replied

"Might I make a suggestion?" Starfire asked

"Sure"

"If you wish to get him a gift that is from your heart." Starfire replied placing her hand on her chest "Then you must know what is inside his"

Raven stared at Starfire for a moment taking in what she had just said.

"You make it sound like I have feelings for him or something" Raven replied taking a defensive step back.

"Do you not?" Starfire asked with a confused look "You two have seemed quiet close as of lately"

"I''ll admit we''ve been getting along okay" Raven replied avoiding eye contact with Starfire "But we''re just...friends"

"Of course, that is what I mean" Starfire explained, "You two have become close friends"

"Oh" Raven replied feeling foolish...not only because Starfire hadn''t been making that assumption but also because she had.

"How ...could I do that" Raven asked "Know what’s inside his heart"

Starfire smiled "You merely have to talk with him" She explained "And if you are lucky he will share a piece of himself with you"

Raven looked nervously to the ground...this sounded too much like something a girlfriend and boyfriend would do.

"Starfire..." Raven asked, "What do you consider Robin?"

Starfire blushed "I believe that he is my closest friend" She replied, "Why do you ask?"

"It''s nothing...but maybe I''ll just ask Beastboy what he wants" Raven replied though she hated the idea...if she asked him now he would think she had forgotten him.

"Perhaps you could go wake friend Beastboy up and ask him now" Starfire suggested "Since it is time for the morning ritual of eating"

"Yeah...I think I will" Raven nodded before walking away "Thanks anyway Starfire"

*-Outside Beastboy''s room-*

Knock, Knock

"Beastboy...?" Raven asked "It''s time for breakfast"

There was no reply and she sighed knowing he was probably in a deep sleep. She opened the door that Beastboy rarely ever locked and stepped inside. She was surprised to find that his bed was empty,the sheets scattered out onto the floor. She looked around but found no sign of him, had he already gotten up without her knowing?

Sighing she looked around ...maybe she could find something that would give her a clue as to what kind of gift Beastboy would like. The room wasn''t nearly as messy as it had used to be...he had cleaned it over a month ago and somehow he had managed to keep it looking somewhat decent. The scattered pieces of trash and clothing however didn''t give her much insight.

She walked over towards Beastboy’s bed and looked down at his dresser. Part of her knew that it was wrong to go through his things even if it was for a good reason but another part of her hated the idea of having to ask him and admit that she hadn''t gotten anything yet.

Finally she found herself bending over to open the bottom drawer.

Inside she found stacks of comic books...she picked one up and flipped through it''s pages. ''A comic book?'' she asked herself ''No. I can do better''

She placed the comic back on top of the stack and opened the next drawer. She blushed as she looked down at a bunch of multicoloured underwear''s. Everything from poke-dots to little animals ''Definitely not underwear'' She told herself quickly closing the drawer.

She hesitated as she opened the top drawer not sure of what else she would find.However when she looked inside she found several different things none of which though were any cause for alarm. There was an album book, which Raven looked at first. Inside were several pictures of theDoom Patrol and Beastboy but as the album went on it was filled with pictures of the Titans.

Raven smiled slightly when she found a picture of Beastboy and herself. It had been taken a little after the teen titans had formed. It showed Raven sitting on the couch with her legs crossed and a book in her hand, looking over her shoulder with an annoyed _expression at Beastboy who was wearing a clown nose and whom she remembered had been telling jokes at the time. Honestly though it had been some fault of Ravens that Beastboy was so persistent about telling the jokes in the first place.

"Heh...you''re kinda funny'' Raven replied with a small smile

''Dude you think I''m funny'' Beastboy asked with sparkles in his eyes ''I know some jokes''

That had been the start of an almost endless serious of his failed attempts at humour...but somehow she could only smile at the thought.

As she went on she noticed that several pages had been torn out...but upon seeing the next visible page she understood.

''Terra''

There she was with one arm draped around Beastboy’s shoulder, both of them smiling. Of course it was the only picture of her left and so it was safe to assume that he had gotten rid of the others.

Raven put the album back and noticed with a frown that Beastboy had also kept Terra''s butterfly hairpiece. Raven wasn''t sure why this bothered her so much...after all Beastboy had liked Terra a lot and it shouldn''t have been surprising that in some way he still did...or atleast he thought about her often.

''I''d like for him to think about us that way''

Raven shook her head slightly and her gaze turned to Beastboy Doom Patrol mask. It had looked ridiculous and in many ways had made him seem even younger than he was. She picked up the mask and noticed that a picture had been lying under it. She set the mask back down into the drawer and took the picture out.

Raven looked curiously at the photo...it looked kind of old considering how the edges were folded and worn...but what had her truly curious was what she saw.

It was a man and a woman both smiling warmly up from the picture and a little-boy, no older than four, with blond hair and blue eyes standing between them waving. She had never seen the people before and she wondered why Beastboy kept a picture of them...it was obviously important to him...as was everything else in the drawer.

"Um...Raven" Came Beastboy''s voice from behind her.

Raven felt her body tense and her stomach tighten as she turned around to face the changeling. Strands of wet hair fell in front of his face and so it was safe to assume he had been taking a shower, but now he stood there waiting expectantly for Raven to reply.

Raven could think of no words to justify herself...there she stood in front of Beastboy’s open drawer with his picture in her hand. A part of her wished to just teleport out of the room but she knew that he''d still want an answer as to what she was doing the next time he saw her. Raven had been caught...and she had not choice but to stay and face him.

"Uh...what are you doing in my room?"Beastboy asked with a questioning stare...he looked behind her "And going through my drawers?"

Raven felt her face grow red...this must look really bad. Beastboy smiled and even though he was still confused...he now seemed mildly amused by the scene.

"I''m not sure if I should be mad or flattered" Beastboy asked his grin widening...clearly he wasn''t mad.

"I was just...looking for…" Raven could tell she was stuttering some but she couldn''t help it...she had never been more ashamed and embarrassed.

"It''s okay Raven" Beastboy replied causing Raven to blink in surprise "I know why you''re in here"

"You do?" Raven asked with some doubt

"Yeah" Beastboy replied "But ya know...all ya had to do was ask"

"Sorry" Raven replied quietly "I was going to but you weren''t here and I...I was ashamed"

"Ashamed?" Beastboy asked with a truly confused _expression "Why would you be ashamed? It’s your book"

"My book?" Raven asked matching Beastboy’s _expression.

"Yeah…the one I borrowed a few weeks ago" Beastboy said "That is what you were looking for...right?"

"Oh...um…yes" Raven nodded feeling slightly relieved...she was off the hook...for now.

Beastboy smiled as he stepped forward looking down at the picture Raven had forgot she still held in her hand. Raven watched as his smile faded some and his eyes seemed distant and sad.

"Sorry" Raven replied "I shouldn''t have been going through your stuff"

Beastboy seemed to snap out of his trance and he looked up at her as he took the picture.

"That''s okay," he said but his voice was low and sad as he looked back down at the photograph.

"Who are they?" Raven couldn''t help but ask.

"My parents" Beastboy replied softly "And me..."

Raven looked at the boy in the picture and then back up at Beastboy.

"Well...I mean before I looked like this" Beastboy explained with an uneasy smile.

Raven nodded as Beastboy walked over towards his dresser and looked at the picture some more. Beastboy had never mentioned his real parents to any of them before and she barely knew anything about the accident that had caused his powers.

"They look nice" Raven told him trying to be polite

"They were" Came Beastboy soft reply...his back still turned to Raven as he set the picture back inside the drawer.

‘Were''
Raven thought with a frown ''that means they’re...''
It shouldn''t have surprised her that his parents were gone since Beastboy did live with the Doom Patrol before he became a titan but somehow hearing the sadness in his voice made it all to real.

"Sorry" Raven found herself whispering "What...what happened to them?"

Beastboy tensed some.

"They... they passed away a long time ago" Beastboy explained in a sad voice "In a boating accident"

There was a moment of silence and Raven felt like she had to say something.

"It''s a nice picture" She replied calmly though inside she felt stupid...

Beastboy let out a sad sort of laugh as he wiped away some tears that had formed in his eyes.

"Yeah...it is nice," He replied in his normal tone turning to face her, "It''s the only picture I have of them...I like to look at it sometimes"

Raven opened her mouth to say something when he spoke again.

"Oh yeah your book" Beastboy said reaching under his mattress and pulling it out.

"Here ya go" He replied cheerfully as he handed it to her "I only finished half of it...guess I''m not much of a reader"

Raven stared at the book for a moment.

"Keep it" she replied

Beastboy looked confused "I thought this is what you wanted"

"Yes well..." Raven looked off to the side "I changed my mind... I want you to have it"

Beastboy looked at her strangely and then down to the book "Thanks"

"No problem" She replied "I also came up here to tell you that breakfast is done"

"I doubt Cyborg made anything I''d eat" Beastboy replied "But I am hungry"

Raven watched as he turned back to his bed as if he were going to place the book back under his mattress. Beastboy looked at the book for a moment and then turned towards his dresser, opening up his top drawer and placing it inside.

Raven smiled at the gesture...then she finally noticed something different about Beastboy...it was obvious really but her previous situation had distracted her some.

"Beastboy?" Raven asked, "Why aren''t you wearing your uniform"

Beastboy looked down and indeed he was wearing a pair of loose fitting jeans and a black T-shirt along with his usual gloves and shoes. It actually made him look taller.

''He looks good''

"Oh yeah" Beastboy replied with an almost embarrassed smile "I think something must be wrong with the washer or something cause all my uniforms are kinda tight"

Raven nodded and blushed realizing that she had noticed.

"I just figured I''d wear something a little more comfortable" He replied with a shrug

Raven nodded again...it made sense

"Okay let''s go" Beastboy replied with plenty of energy "Every second I spend here is time better wasted on arguing with Cyborg."

Raven sighed and rolled her eyes before following Beastboy out of his room.

''A gift from the heart''
she thought to herself ''Maybe I can do this after all''
-Next week at Beastboy’s party-

Beastboy drooled, his mouth open slightly as he gazed at the vast amounts of vegetarian food and a big cake with green frosting.

"SWEET!" He exclaimed unable to contain his excitement as he grabbed a fork and knife and began eating everything in sight.

"Beastboy wait" Robin tried to stop him before he got to the cake "We haven''t..."

His sentence fell short as Beastboy dived int othe cake flinging green frosting on the rest of his friends.

Robin sighed, "…sang Happy Birthday yet"

"Hehe...my bad, dude" Beastboy replied with a sheepish grin, brushing the pieces of remaining cake off his t-shirt and pants "It was real good though"

"See I told ya he''d like the spread"Cyborg announced proudly

"No meat in sight" Beastboy noted giving Cyborg a grateful smile "Thanks Cy"

"No problem man" Cyborg replied "But don''t expect the same thing this time tomorrow."

Beastboy laughed, "I won''t"

"Oh this is so much fun" Starfire replied a party hat atop her head "Might we present Beastboy with his gifts now"

"Sounds like a good idea to me" Robin nodded.

"Bring on the presents" Beastboy replied.

"Dude you are so gonna worship me after this," Cyborg replied handing him his gift.

Beastboy squealed in excitement as he ripped apart the packaging
"DUDE!" He exclaimed "Its Mega Monkey Fighters Five!"

Cyborg smirked "Yep" he replied "And don''t think I''ll go easy on you just cause it''s your 16th birthday"

"Easy on me?" Beastboy asked with a smirk "Yeah right...just try not to cry when I beat you"

"Friend you must open my gift next"Starfire replied extending hers out.

Beastboy took it but he seemed more careful then he had been with Cyborg gift. Of course with Starfire you never knew what you''d get.

"A book of jokes" Beastboy said as he smiled brightly up at Starfire "Thanks a bunch Star..this is great"

"Perfect" Raven replied dully "That''s all you need...more jokes"

Beastboy smiled at the comment and thanked Starfire again.

"Here you go Beastboy" Robin replied handing him his gift "I figured you could use this"

Beastboy took the package and shook it for a moment ...then he pretended to weigh it...then he placed his ear against it to listen.

"Dude just open it" Cyborg yelled

"You can''t rush these kinda things," Beastboy announced lifting the lid off the nicely wrapped box. He looked questioningly at it contents but a smile slowly made a way to his face as he lifted it up.

"Dude...it''s perfect" Beastboy replied admiring his new uniform...it looked just like his old Doom Patrol uniform except it had a ''T'' in the corner.

"I plan on ordering more if it fits right" Robin replied, "I figured you''d want to keep the look the same though and now you''ll have something to wear on missions"

"Yeah" Beastboy nodded setting the uniform back down into the box "But you guys should really fix the washer so these uniforms don''t shrink too"

"Um Beastboy" Robin replied "There''s nothing wrong with the washer"

"Dude, yes there is" Beastboy replied "If not, then how come all my uniforms shrunk"

"Did you ever stop to think that you just out grew them," Raven asked calmly

"Huh?" Beastboy asked confused "Out grew them?"

"I hate to admit it man" Cyborg replied "But you have gotten taller"

"I have!" Beastboy asked standing up and looking at himself "Robin stand up"

"Why?"

"Dude I want to see how tall I am"

Robin smiled as he stood up...him and Beastboy were now face to face.

Raven couldn''t hid her smile as she watched Beastboy eyes light up with excitement

"DUDE...I''M TALL!" He exclaimed doing a little dance "Go Beastboy go Beastboy"

Starfire giggled

"Okay" Raven replied "I think that''s enough"

"What’s wrong Raven" Beastboy asked with a taunting grin "Mad cause you''re the shortest member of the team now"

"No" she replied ...she actually liked the idea of him being just a little taller.

"Come on man" Cyborg complained,"I''ve already got the game set up"

"What about Ravens gift" Robin asked glancing at the empath

"Oh yes friend Raven still has her gift to give"

Raven could feel herself tense up as all eyes fell on her and she reached out her small wrapped gift to Beastboy.

Beastboy smiled politely at her as he looked down and began unwrapping it.

His expression faded once it was open and Raven was afraid he didn''t like it.

Cyborg stood up to get a better look "Looks like a picture frame" he said giving Raven a confused glance.

"I...thought you could use it" she replied looking down for a moment "For a special picture"

Raven looked back up at Beastboy who still seemed lost in thought as he traced the frame with his thumb for a moment.

"Thanks Raven" He replied in a soft voice "This is...um...thanks"

"You''re welcome," she replied as Beastboy looked up into her eyes smiling softly.

The others exchanged confused expressions...it was clear to them that the picture frame obviously meant something to Raven and Beastboy even if they didn''t know what.

"Okay guys" Cyborg exclaimed "Enough presents...it''s time to Party"

Raven looked away from Beastboy as he nodded to Cyborg and raced him over towards the game station.

She glanced over at the picture frame he had left laying on the counter and second-guessed her decision.

She shook the thought off and went to watch the two play the game.

-Later that night-

Raven glanced at her clock...it was 11:35 and she still hadn''t gotten to sleep. Maybe it was today''s early events that were keeping her awake...she was starting to regret the gift she had gotten Beastboy. He had seemed to appreciate it but then again he could have just been being nice. She sighed determined to finally get some sleep when she heard a light knock on her door.

She was slightly surprised when she slid her door open to find Beastboy. He gave her a small smile as he fidgeted with his gloves.

"Hay Raven" he replied

"Beastboy" Raven addressed him "What are you doing up?"

"Sorry if I woke you" he apologized "I just wanted to...um...talk to you for a second"

Raven nodded and opened her door the rest of the way.

"Yeah?" She asked and she watched as Beastboy stared down at the floor for a moment.

Inwardly Beastboy was trying to find the right words...but he admitted that he really didn''t know what he wanted to say to Raven. The only thing he did know was that he had spent the last hour and a half staring at the picture frame she had gotten him. He had of course put the picture of his parents inside but despite that all he could think about was Raven...and why she had gotten him the gift.

"Well?" Raven asked still sounding rather patient.

"I just wanted to say that..." he paused "I think that the picture frame is...um..."

Raven stared at him...he had come to talk about her gift...why?

"Sorry" Raven interrupted him "I should have gotten you something else"

"No, no that''s not it" Beastboy replied hastily "I''m really glad you did Rae"

Raven stared up at him mildly surprised.

"I mean Raven," he corrected himself "That''s what I wanted to tell you"

"Oh..." Raven replied, "Is that all"

"Um...I''m not sure" Beastboy replied with genuine confusion "I just thought you should know that..."

Raven watched as he rubbed the back of his neck...something she had noticed he did when he got nervous but ...why was he nervous?

Raven was about to ask when Beastboy looked back up into her eyes and she found herself without words.

Beastboy took in a deep breathe "I wanted you to know it meant a lot to me" Beastboy finally said and not waiting for her to reply he quickly leaned over and kissed her cheek.

Almost immediately after his lips touched her skin did he pull away, looking more shocked at himself then Raven did...both blushing.

"I...um...I gotta go" he replied dashing away down the hall towards his room

Raven stood there in her door way for a moment...bringing a hand up to her cheek and absentmindedly touching the spot he had kissed. She was shocked, afraid, embarrassed, and happy all at the sametime but much to her surprise nothing shattered...nothing broke...everything was fine.

No…everything was more than fine and she just couldn''t understand why she felt that way.

''That was so great''
the voice inside her head replied in excitement ''He kissed us''
She shook her head...that voice...she had been hearing it a lot lately and always when she was around Beastboy. Raven sighed realizing that in the morning the two will have pretended like it never happened. It was almost a relief in some way and Raven told herself that Beastboy was just trying to show her that he was grateful and it meant nothing.

''Of course it meant something Rae''
The voice told her ''You care about him''
Raven blushed again as she closed her door and got back into bed. She glanced at the clock noticing it still wasn''t mid-night and as she began to fall asleep she whispered,

"Happy Birthday Beastboy"

The End

____________________

Hope everyone enjoyed......please leave me a comment and let me know what you thought...I appreciate it....Please and thank you!!!!!
the voice inside Ravens head told her but she ignored it
A voice inside Raven head replied

Comments

Comments (7)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

dragon52 on March 30, 2008, 9:41:47 AM

dragon52 on
dragon52Please continue this story, bery well written.

hinatagurl123 on March 10, 2008, 3:07:35 AM

hinatagurl123 on
hinatagurl123aw that is adorable u sould write a sequal

BBandRaven4life12 on July 19, 2007, 10:59:46 AM

BBandRaven4life12 on
BBandRaven4life12Aw's!!!!!

RavenDarkAngel on July 24, 2006, 9:13:31 AM

RavenDarkAngel on
RavenDarkAngelWow I almost cried that was beautiful!!!!!!!!! soooo faving!!!!!

Dragon_Wolfie on July 19, 2006, 8:38:14 AM

Dragon_Wolfie on
Dragon_WolfieAww, that was so sweet. I loved it.

Yora_Chan1905 on July 13, 2006, 4:31:43 AM

Yora_Chan1905 on
Yora_Chan1905ehehehe!!! how sweet!~faving!

toxic_dreamer on June 26, 2006, 8:08:31 AM

toxic_dreamer on
toxic_dreamerGrrr.........I had such a hard time posting this....>.