Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - So it begins

 This story is based off of a fiction written by my good friend Nextguardian (NG). The OC characters are property of Nextguardian and My friend Keiko (A.K.A. Shadowthe_hedgehog)  It details the experiences of NG's Fan character Ryouko.

Chapter 1 - So it begins

Chapter 1 - So it begins
(Disclaimer: This story is based off of a fiction written by my good friend Nextguardian.)
(I do not own the canon characters or the Ocs.)
(The OC characters are property of Nextguardian and My friend. Keiko and I have been) (granted full and unrestricted permission to use these characters and their abilities.)
(If you wish to verify please ask him.)
(Some of the events mentioned are part of Nextguardian's main Naruto fic.)
(If you wish to know more)
(I encourage you to take a look at his story
(Thank you and enjoy the story.)
</span>

“No! What have I done!' How!' Why'” Ryouko bolted upright upsetting the desk of scrolls in front of him as he pulled his kunai from its pouch on his right thigh readying himself for an attack. Standing in the dim circle of light cast by his overturned desk lamp panting heavily; the kunai gripped tightly in his fist he realized “It was a dream...no not a dream....a nightmare.” Settling back into his desk chair he leaned forward and put his head on his knees and closed his eyes letting his breathing calm and reality catch up to him. “I fell asleep studying. That's all. It wasn't real,” he assured himself placing the kunai back into its pouch. “I didn't do it. It was just a dream.” Ryouko shook his head and sat up trying to analyze his way through his nightmare before the details slipped away. This had been the third time in a week he had been haunted by this creation of his mind. Ryouko was not one to place much stock in dreams but this one was different. It seemed so real that every time he had it he found himself waking up in a panic and drenched in cold sweat. It reminded him of the dreams Sakura had once had. They had always been a terrible omen. Ryouko rummaged around under the pile of upset scrolls and found the clock. “Four forty-three. Huh. I have to be up in seventeen minuets. Damn it! Oh well, so much for the all night studying.”

Ryouko stretched and headed into the bathroom of his small shabby apartment. He turned on the shower and turned to study himself in the small cracked mirror above the sink. He stared deep into his reflection's hard stoic expression. He glowered at where once had been his left eye, hazel brown and full of life, now a cold, sightless, empty socket thanks to Garaa. He noticed how large and dark the bags under his eyes had grown during his three years since coming to live in the Village Hidden in the Leaves. He took a deep breath and ran his hand through his sleep mussed brown hair the nightmare still on his mind.

As he stepped into the shower he began to replay the dream over in his mind. All he could ever remember was bits and pieces, but these small fractured bits disturbed him greatly. Many of the scenes he recounted did nothing to help make the dream any less confusing; Sakura crying clinging to a limp human form, the Leaf Village in flames, innocent villagers lying motionless on the ground. These images disturbed him, but it was the longest scene that disturbed him the most. He saw himself bowing to a dark figure. He couldn't tell who it was but he knew this was an ominous presence. He heard the figure speak, and he heard himself pledge allegiance the figure and watched as he took his kunai and dragged its edge against his palm. He watched as he swore an oath of blood to the dark figure; this image above all else for some reason made his blood run cold. Ryouko leaned his head against the wall of the shower and allowed the water to clear his head and wash away the dread the nightmare had left in the pit of his stomach.

Ryouko feeling somewhat less apprehensive stepped out of the shower and began to dress absentmindedly. He had never been one to be overly concerned with style but chose rather to dress simply and functionally. He wore traditional black gi pants with his kunai pouch on his thigh, a black tee-shirt with a white collar and a black tactical vest which held many of his other weapons. This simplicity suited him. He felt it balanced out his otherwise complicated personality. After dressing Ryouko once again studied himself in the mirror. Staring back at him was the same stoic expression that greeted him every morning. To him though he saw only someone weak with emotion and to human to become what he longed to be. Scowling at his reflection he pulled on the final pieces of his attire. A black face mask that hid the lower portions of his face and the expressions of emotion he so loathed having and a black headband at an angle that hid his mangled eye. Finally he tied his Hitai-Ate around his forehead which left only his right eye visible. As he adjusted his headband Ryouko returned to his bedroom and began to search around under the pile of scrolls on the floor. Finding what he was looking for he straightened up rolling up a long scroll he had been working on since his first week in the village the “ShoBu.” As he tied the ShoBu closed and stuffed it into one of the pockets of his vest he made his way to the door. Before he left he took a final look around the small cramped apartment and then walked out into the fading night.

As Ryouko walked slowly down the empty streets he thought about the day that lay ahead. He wasn't looking forward to a lot of it. He had a meeting with the council to determine if he was finally ready in the eyes of his peers to be granted a chance at the Chunin exams. He had been denied every time by one smug Tokubetsu Jonin. Ryouko fumed silently at the thought of him. He couldn't stand Ebisu. Ebisu had stood in his way ever since his first time through the Chunin when he had been forced to forfeit the match to save the lives of Ino and Sakura. Ebisu had said he wasn't old enough to handle the pressure and responsibility. Now this would be his sixth time of applying to take the Exam and as long as Ebisu was still on the Council he was sure this wouldn't be his last time of applying. His patience was beginning to wear thin on this matter, but he saw no alternative but to continue to apply.

One bright spot in his day was that he had a session of training with Sakura. She had pointed out that since he had a way of always getting injured that he should learn the arts of a Medi-nin. This hadn't much appealed to him at first, but upon her insistence and mostly the fact that she herself would be teaching him had brought him to see the logic in her idea. After this few hours of reprieve it would be back to the day he couldn't quite bring himself to look forward to. After his medic training he was to assist in a d ranked mission with squad nine. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as he got along fine with most of the team, but for two reasons this time it was a problem. For one, D ranked meant dull pointless work and two Linda Awash would also be present. Who had made the arrangements for this mission he didn't know but he would have loved to thank them with a boot in their rear.

Linda had once been a close friend and though it had never been official they had once been together as a couple. Now Linda hated him for reasons that escaped Ryouko. She claimed to still have feelings as a friend for him but at the same time professed her hatred for him. Her signature saying about him was that she wished he would be paralyzed in order to keep him from being able to do missions in which he might be killed. Ryouko guessed that in a twisted, deformed sort of way her claim of some friendly feeling may be true, but mostly she was just hostile. The thought of having to work with her for an afternoon put him in a sullen mood. He could imagine the nasty scowls and muttered put downs. These didn't really bother him, but he didn't like having her around as it brought up painful memories. It had been for her he had lost his eye, he missed her friendship, but such was life.

Ryouko looked up from his thought as he heard a soft rustling of leaves above him. He sighed in resignation and counted down, “Five, four, three, two, one, now.” At the now he merely took a steep to the side and began to walk again. “If you’re going to try and sneak up on someone you’re going to have to be quieter than that Naruto.” he said casually over his shoulder to the form plastered face first in cobblestone road. Naruto sat up rubbing a large bruise on the side of his face.

“How'd ya know it was me' And why'd ya have to move for'” Naruto grumbled loudly as he ran to catch up with Ryouko in the darkness ahead.

“For starters it would be a lot more effective if you hadn't tried it on me every morning for the last three days.” Ryouko couldn't help but allow a small smile. Naruto had a way of making a nuisance of himself but at the same time making you like him even more. “Why don't you ever try it on Lee or Sakura'”

“Are you nuts' They'd kill me!” Naruto said an arm behind his head and a mischievous look in his eye. “Although it would be cool just to see what they would do!” he grinned over at Ryouko who merely rolled his eyes and shook his head.

Ryouko strolled on for a bit without saying anything Naruto tailing along after him. Ryouko knew why Naurto to was hanging around. Naruto knew that every morning Ryouko when out to get his breakfast and if he stuck around he was liable to be asked along. Ryouko merely shook his head again as he reached the door to his normal morning haunt. As he walked through the door he called back to Naruto who had stopped outside the shop. “Well are you coming to eat or not'”

“Yeah, you better believe it!” Naruto shouted as he barreled through the door after him. Inside they took Ryouko's normal seat and looked at the menu more out of habit than really needing to. When it came time to order they both put in their normal orders.

“How can you eat Ramen this early in the morning Naruto'” Ryouko asked wrinkling his nose at the idea.

“Man, I could eat Ramen for breakfast, lunch and dinner too!” Naruto exclaimed. “This place isn't half as good as the place Iruka-sensei takes me to, but hey it's ramen!”

Ryouko merely shook his head again. “So Naruto, what does your day look like. Mine looks pretty grim. A meeting and a D ranked mission.” Ryouko failed to mention the training with Sakura knowing the ribbing would be endless. “What's worse is the mission is with team nine.” Ryouko looked up at his friend with a meaningful look.

“A D ranked mission' That really does blow, but what's so bad about being with team nine' Old Bushy Brows might be too uptight, but his team 'ain't that bad.” Naruto said distractedly as there food arrived.

Ryouko picked at the bowl of creamed wheat in front of him and stated flatly. “Linda is going to be there.” Naruto looked up with an eyebrow twitching and a long wad of ramen stringing form his bowl to his mouth. Slurping the noodles the rest of the way into his mouth he laughed nervously.

“Yeah, I can see how that's going to be a bit awkward. That kunoichi is a cold as ramen left out overnight in winter! To be honest she scares me to death!” Naruto said with a slight shiver. Silently Ryouko agreed with him despite Naruto's strange analogy.

“I hear you on that one Naruto. She sometimes scares me to death too.” Ryouko sighed as he looked down into his bowl feeling slightly more depressed at the idea of the day ahead.

The small bell over the diner's door jingled merrily as it opened causing Ryouko to look up. The only reason this interested Ryouko was that no one had visibly walked in. Ryouko watched the door intently. As he watched a small pug mix dog trotted from the entrance and jumped up on a stool at the bar. Ryouko watched as the dog began to scan the crowd intently. Ryouko knew the dog. It was Kakashie's summon Pakkun, but Ryouko was wondering what he was doing here. It was a rather comical site as the man behind the bar raised an eyebrow and started towards the dog sitting at his counter.

“Shoo, not a place for doggies, you can't be in here!” the man behind the counter said in a tone that most people reserve for animals. Pakkun heaved a sigh and turned around on the stool to face the shopkeeper.

“Look it's early. I'm tired and I don't want to be here. I'm on official business for the council. Now you have ten seconds to tell me if a boy named Ryouko is in here before I bite you.” Pakkun growled in annoyance. The stunned shop keeper stared wide eyed at Pakkun unable to speak. As the ten seconds ended Pakkun started to growl. The shop keeper coming to his senses realizing he was about to be bitten flung his arm out pointing to Ryouko and Naruto's table.

“That's him over there! Please don't bite me!” The man pleaded a giant sweat drop above his head. Pakkun rolled his eyes and jumped down off the stool heading towards Ryouko through the crowded diner.

Ryouko who had been listening to the conversation grinned under his mask as the pug trotted up to the table. “A little snippy today are we Pakkun' It's not like you to want to bite for something that petty.” Pakkun jumped up on to the chair across from Ryouko and helped himself to Ryouko's mug of coffee since Ryouko didn't drink it.

“I wouldn't have bit him. You humans taste terrible. Anyway, I wasn't in the mood to deal with that stupid baby voice you people use on me. It's sickening.” Pakkun said before lapping at the coffee. Naruto snorted in laughter a noodle coming out his nose. “Nice kid. You know that's really disgusting right.” Pakkun mused as Naruto recycled to noodle back into his mouth.

“Oh yeah' This is coming from someone who licks his own butt!” Naruto shot back looking triumphant until Pakkun latched himself on to his arm. Naruto swung his arm around yelling.

Ryouko leaned forward on his elbows steepling his fingers ignoring Naruto's cries of “Get off you sadistic pug!” and “Do you realize your biting the next Hokage'” and called out over the noise.

“So, what brings you here Pakkun' I don't think you came just to keep Naruto and I company over breakfast did you'” Pakkun let go of Naruto's arm and dropped back onto the chair. Giving a final sniff of annoyance at Naruto who was massaging his bitten arm Pakkun turned his attention back to Ryouko.

“No, I didn't. I came to fetch you actually. The council has moved up your appointment and I was supposed to find and escort you to the council chamber. I was also supposed to deliver a message to you from Sakura whom I ran into on the way here. She says if you like you can start your lessons earlier since your meeting has been moved up.” Pakkun stated all of this in an official drawling voice sounding very bored with his speech. Naruto had looked up from his fourth bowl of ramen at the mention of Sakura's lessons. A mischievous look spread over his face as he stared at Ryouko.

“You never mentioned you were having private lessons with Sakura! What's she teaching you' Female anatomy'” Naruto grinned stupidly “I could teach you that!” Ryouko looked up ready to clock Naruto but froze as he realized the series of hand signs Naruto was performing. Ryouko slammed his eyes closed just in time as Naruto yelled “Ninja Art Sexy Jutsu!” Ryouko's face reddened as he heard the unmistakable sound of several of the nearby men rocket backwards with massive nosebleeds. A giggling laugh and a young female voice called to him “Awww! Don't you want to look at me Ryouko-san' How sad for me. Oh well!” and with that there was a small pop and Naruto burst out laughing. “Man you should have seen the look on your face when you realized what I was doing. You turned beet red! I almost got you! Believe it!” Ryouko, ears burning and face set in as dignified an expression he could muster, decided to ignore Naruto and instead addressed Pakkun who was shaking his head with a paw over his eyes muttering to himself that his master had a bunch of knuckleheads for students.

“Umm' I think we should probably get going now.” Ryouko said with a slight catch in his voice. Pakkun didn't say anything but merely nodded his head a paw massaging his temple. Ryouko started towards the counter to collect the check with Pakkun on his heels. As Ryouko pulled out the money to pay an idea popped into his head and he smiled. “The young man who was eating with me is getting the bill.” The shopkeeper nodded and strolled over and handed Naruto the bill.

“What! This isn't mine!” Naruto yelled as the shopkeeper held out the bill to him.

“I do believe it is sir. The young man you were dining with informed me you would be paying the bill this morning. So, you either pay or find yourself washing dishes.” The shopkeeper said with an airy wave of his hand.

“Where is that pervy Samurai' I'll kill him!” Naruto yelled looking around the diner for Ryouko. Spotting him near the door Naruto shook a fist at him, but Ryouko merely grinned mischievously and waved. Naruto scowled and began to clear the plates of the table and sighed. “Which way to the sinks'” he asked miserably.

“Thanks for the meal Naruto.” Ryouko laughed as he walked out. “Lord knows you deserved that one.”

“Amen! That pest had it coming after that!” Pakkun said with a grin. Pakkun feigned thinking for a moment and then with a smile much like Naruto's had been stated, “Although I am curious. How is Sakura's female anatomy'”

Ryouko's back stiffened as he stopped. Even by the pale dawn light you could see how red his ears turned. Ryouko didn't turn to look at the dog but simply stated. “I wonder what Kakashi-sensei would say if his summon returned to him neutered'” After this he simply began to walk on, this time leaving Pakkun to stand in embarrassment.

Pakkun stood for a moment in shock but then shook his head and ran to catch up with Ryouko's retreating form. “You have definitely gotten bolder since you've lived here.” he mused to Ryouko's back. “When you first arrived here you wouldn't say hardly a thing. Now you’re about as ornery as Naruto.”

Ryouko glanced sideways at the dog then looked ahead as he answered. “This place has been the first place I have really had friends to be ornery to. This is the first place aside from with my parents that I have ever felt was home enough to allow close friends.” Ryouko pondered his thoughts for a moment and then looked down to the dog who appeared slightly surprised at this sudden change of mood. Ryouko let a slight smile form as he realized the oddity of confessing this to a dog. “Before I came here I never really had anything set to fight for. I fought for a general idea. Now...,” Ryouko took a deep breath inhaling the smells of the crisp autumn morning before continuing; “Now I have a purpose to my fight. I fight for those I care about. That more than anything I think has weakened the shell I had when I first arrived. I'm still trying to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing.” he said this last part with a bit of a laugh.

Pakkun trotted along beside Ryouko silently. He was surprised that the young man had opened up to him. To himself he muttered “This bites. I've always been horrible at this kind of thing, but I feel like I should say something.” Pakkun looked up at the boy striding next to him for a long moment studying him. He wasn't the same young man that he had been when he had arrived. He had grown and in some ways he had broken out of his shell, but in others he had built it up even more. Pakkun could see that despite his somewhat more relaxed appearance he still was wrestling with some very powerful inner turmoil. These battles had aged him far beyond his years and left a somewhat haunted look in his eyes. Pakkun cleared his throat. “Trust me kid. It's a good thing. You need to let down your barriers. I'm not saying let your guard to trouble down, but let it down to your friends. If you truly believe that you now fight to protect those you care about don't be afraid to let those you care about in.” Ryouko looked down at the pug an expression Pakkun couldn't decide on his face. Pakkun returned the stare and simply stated. “Just think on it kid.”

Ryouko was a bit startled by the advice. He had not expected understanding from the pug, Ryouko had often been surprised by that quality from both Pakkun and Holly, his keeshonden summon. Ryouko let a smile of appreciation show in his eyes as was his mouth was covered. He hadn't realized it but they had reached the doors to the council chamber. As he put one hand on the handle preparing to open the door he stopped and looked down at the pug. “Thanks Pakkun I'll think on what you said.”

“That's all I ask kid.” Pakkun said with a small smile as he and Ryouko walked into the council chamber.

Comments

Comments (7)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on September 26, 2011, 3:35:28 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusYou're quite a good writer. A lot of the fics on FAC just aren't really up to snuff. You captured the essence of the Naruto world without being annoying about it like a lot of Naruto writers tend to do. I love the way you portray each character, it's very true to their personality.

Please, more!

Neopetgirl on December 29, 2007, 4:53:43 PM

Neopetgirl on
NeopetgirlWow A1 I've learned something today: You're a very talented writer.

I mean wow,you captured Ekyt whole personality perfectly!
I love the analogies you used,brilliant. And Naruto is just like he is in the show! -giggle- Awesome work! I love the descriptive detail,it's rare I find that factor in others' work. -claps- Great job! ^__^

uchihagirl on November 15, 2007, 7:58:47 AM

uchihagirl on
uchihagirlso freakin awesome, i totally agree with nextguardian, excellent work^^

lopez107 on November 11, 2007, 7:01:43 AM

lopez107 on
lopez107i liked it

kogalover2013 on November 10, 2007, 3:53:14 AM

kogalover2013 on
kogalover2013lol i luv it see i read it;) lol lol lol

Shadowthe_hedgehog on November 7, 2007, 9:36:21 PM

Shadowthe_hedgehog on
Shadowthe_hedgehogLOL ^^ loved it! lmto, I'm glad you put that part where Ekyt gave Naruto the bill in, that was funneh!
Nice job Nii-san, Ryu-Sensei, er... whatever ^^'

nextguardian on November 7, 2007, 12:04:44 PM

nextguardian on
nextguardianA1, I predicted that your fic would outshine darn near anything else I have ever read, and certainly anything I have ever written. I am happy to say my prediction came true! You captured Ekyt's personality expertly, not to mention Naruto and Pakkun! lmao, the Neutering thing did thing cracked me. And the "recyclyed noodle". And...heck, just about everything! Absolutely beautiful work!