Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - 1

An article about the crisis in Darfur and Chad.

Chapter 1 - 1

Chapter 1 - 1
Bree Lane
Sophomore
Homeroom 225

I have no doubt that most of us have seen the film Hotel Rwanda. The movie gives us a glimpse of a genocide that happened when we were infants. Do you remember the horror you felt as you watched the film?

As you read this, 2.5 million people are crammed into filthy refugee camps in Sudan and Chad. These camps are prone to malaria, diarrhea, influenza, and other dieseses. Many who are ill die within days due to lack of proper medical care. Only one group remains in these camps, the U.N World Food Program. Lack of funding leaves many to die from malnutrition. In these camps the refugees live in fear of the rebel group the janjaweed or devils on horseback backed by the Sudanese government. Dictator Omar-al Bashir has given money and weapons to this group, in an attempt to squash a rebellion by militias in Darfur. This rebel group has murdered 200,000 since. The cause of this conflict is similar to so many genocides. Religion. The all Muslim janjaweed staged a coup in 2003 against the region of Darfur, beginning the systematic rape, torture, and murder of Christian and Animist blacks. This ethnic cleansing has gone on since, despite the intervention of the UN in 2004. Although President Bush has tried to intervene with peace talks, he is yet to send help. In a recent speech about the crisis he refused to call the slaughter a genocide. Recently the conflict spread to neighboring region Chad. The same ethnic cleansing has begun there as well. As the slaughter continues, no nations have volunteered aide, military or otherwise. It leaves one to wonder if our leaders have a conscience.


At the beginning of this year, a class in our school attempted to raise money to aide Darfur. The leader of this group was sophomore Simone Logan. Simone said the objective of the group; called No More Turning Away was to raise money, to help Darfur in anyway. The teacher involved was Mr. Pagenstecher. When asked about the genocide he said Its human suffering in another part of the world. Sudan is a barren, desolate place that the world seems to ignore and want no part of. His view on the spread of the genocide was that the U.N and NATO should step in and maintain security. Simone expressed the need to stop the genocide from spreading farther. This group had to cease because of lack of interest. Of all the clubs and organization in our school, their group was the most important. Sophomore Juante Randleman suggested, we raise awareness, because not many people know about it [Darfur]. It doesnt have to just be in the school, but in the community also.

The following is a list of groups dedicated to help end the crisis.

Save Darfur
http://www.savedarfur.org/content?splash=no

Committee on Conscience/Alert/Darfur
http://www.ushmm.org/conscience/alert/darfur/contents/01-overview/

Globe For Darfur
http://www.globefordarfur.org/

Darfur: A Genocide We Can Stop
http://www.darfurgenocide.org/index.php

UNICEF-Sudan-Darfur
http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/sudan_darfuroverview.html

Please visit one of these sites to see what you can do to help end the suffering.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

thetruth on March 15, 2007, 4:06:38 PM

thetruth on
thetruthDarfur is a mess, so was the horrible massacres all throughout Africa and other parts of the world. It's sad that the United Nations refuses attention to this. But we live in a world where apathy is simply more convenient. I can't blame President Bush because the US can't help everyone and the United Nations limits his power. The U.N. is worthless. I'd go over there and help myself if I could, unfortunately I'm not much of a warrior.

emereldstone on March 16, 2007, 5:16:30 AM

emereldstone on
emereldstoneYeah. I understand that the U.S can't be everywhere at once, but I wish that we would fight for something worthwhile. I would rather our boys die saving the innocent than die for imperialism.