Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 14 - A Valiant Effort

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 14 - A Valiant Effort

Chapter 14 - A Valiant Effort
Naruto was going to be the first, they decided, to talk with Ekyt.
“This is a C-ranked mission,” Tsunade announced to Team 7. “This will give you a chance to break in your new member…”
Naruto groaned. “Grandma, come on! That kid is stubborn, believe it! If he attacks, will you make this a B-rank?”
Tsunade sighed in frustration. “Yes. If he hits you, it’s a B-ranked mission. But DO NOT do anything to get that kind of reaction out of him. I know how you are Naruto, and I expect you to behave. This is a volatile situation, DO NOT make it worse! We need him back in our ranks, not free-lancing. Understood?” Tsunade’s eyes looked at Team Kakashi. The new member wouldn’t be arriving until later, and he would most likely annoy Team Kakashi. But, such was life.


Ekyt finished his training. He closed up both scrolls and massaged his eyes. Six hours of reading. But he couldn’t put the scrolls down, partly because they were so interesting, and partly because it was ‘scroll day’, where he went through any new scrolls he could find and jotted notes down in his ever-expanding white scroll, ‘ShoBu’. It was a day off for his body and chakra to regroup. The old Ekyt wouldn’t have understood the importance of re-reading the scrolls, taking the insane amount of notes, and relaxing. The third part was what annoyed him. A day off felt like a day wasted, but it was necessary if he wanted to keep his body functioning.
Now he was at the Akakomadori family’s bar and restaurant. People drank at all times of the day. So far today, Ekyt had tossed one person out, because he made some nasty, perverted comments to Aki, who took offense. So, Ekyt was basically a bouncer. Enough belligerent people came in to keep his skills sharp, so Ekyt shrugged it off. Besides, he was making better money while thumbing his nose at ‘the system’ at the same time.
The bar and restaurant was set up like Ichiraku, except ten times bigger, and there was an old, wooden staircase behind the bar. There were stools at the bar, but also plenty of tables. Ekyt had paid for the chair he had used to stop the robbery the other night, though Aki maintained that he didn’t need to. Ekyt insisted. Aki thanked him, and then asked for his help moving a couch upstairs. When Ekyt asked why, just as making conversation, Aki gave a heavy sigh and a tear-jerking explanation.
“Before we left the Mist Village, we were in the adoption process of taking in a boy. He’s fifteen years old, and he’s got all sorts of medical problems. He’s blind in one eye, and sometimes he just can’t be with other people. He sits by himself, reading, or drawing. Sometimes he just breathes so hard and eats so little that I worry. He’s coming here to live. We’re hoping the cleaner air in Konoha will help him get well, but we’re at wits end. My husband is starting to yell at the boy, and I know it’s not what he needs…” Aki broke into controlled tears, her fists clenched. She dropped the end of the couch she had been carrying and sat on it. “…He needs love, and my husband can’t give it. We have two kids of our own, and my elderly mother, who thinks the boy just needs discipline. I don’t know what to do with him!”
Ekyt, in surprise, thought back. This kid sounded like…himself. Anxiety…the ‘alone’ part…eating…breathing…it all sounds like me. Before he could stop himself, Ekyt piped up.
“Do you mind if I meet him?” Ekyt blurted out. What? Are you nuts? You know what happened last time! Chakaro, remember him? Think, moron! Ekyt mentally chastised himself, but got this in response:
Do you remember when you were abandoned by all but your parents? How about when Tsunade turned her back on you? You can understand this kid- it’s a chance to make a difference for someone who still has a real chance at being something, someone. Having a normal life, something that’s only of the vaguest hope for you.
Aki looked up at her bouncer. “Sure. I’d like for you to. He’ll be working here, when he can. I wish I knew how to help him…”


Kakashi looked at Naruto, eye half-lidded. “Okay Naruto, do you remember the plan?” he asked slowly.
“Yes, for the last time Kakashi-sensei! I go in there, hand him this note from Tsunade ordering a bottle of Sake, and I try to talk him into coming back. Do you think I’m stupid or something?”
Sakura opened her mouth, but stopped and shook her head. “That would have been too easy.”
“What was that?!” Naruto shouted.
“Be quiet! Now, go do your mission!” Kakashi gave Naruto a shove into the restaurant/bar. “And stick to the plan!” Kakashi added. He’ll do something stupid, that knucklehead…but he has a way about him, of getting people to believe in themselves, and him. Ekyt knows him, though, and he’ll be on the defensive…I’d hate to do it to Sakura, but if push comes to shove…she’ll have to be what kunoichi originally were…


Lee bounded into Tsunade’s office, ready to go. Guy was already waiting. Neji and Tenten strolled in. Neji looked out of it, but Tsunade thought his skills and instincts would be enough to protect him.
“I’m giving all of you a mission, with one of our newest chunin. You’ll be joining Linda in retrieving a scroll from the Land of Herbs. The scroll contains complex healing medicines which will certainly benefit the Leaf Village. Guy, I know you’re the ranking member, but I’d like Lee to lead the mission.”
Guy, tears streaming down his face, whipped towards Lee.
“Your first mission! Lee, I’m so proud! (sob) You special kid!” Guy hugged him.
“Thank you Guy-sensei! I will make you proud!” Lee replied, crying as well.
Tsunade and Tenten shook their heads.
“How the hell did Lee find a girlfriend, acting like that?” Tenten said in amazement.


Kiba admired his new symbol of rank. He hadn’t worn the vest he got when he was a chunin, but now that he was a jonin, the time felt right.
“Alright, Akamaru! This is great! I can’t wait for an A-ranked mission! We’ll tear through it!”
“Ruff! Ruff!” Akamaru agreed.
“C-congratulations, Kiba,” Hinata murmured shyly, blushing.
“Good for you, Kiba. It seems you’ve become the Queen Bee of our group.” Shino spoke without breaking his stare at a species of ant that was crawling around near his feet.
“WHAT?!” Kiba snarled. “Hey, just because I’m single- oh, wait, sorry Shino, now I get it. If that had come from anyone but you…”
Kurenai laughed good-naturedly. It’s amazing how much they’ve grown. They’re vital parts of Konoha now, and sharp kids. I hope my children will be like them one day. Provided I ever have children, I hope they’re a mix of these three personalities. Kiba’s loyalty, Shino’s quiet intuitiveness, and Hinata’s honesty. I feel like they’re all my children. But I’ve really bonded with Hinata. I hope she cracks her shell soon and is honest with Naruto…


As soon as he walked in the door, Ekyt was on the defensive.
“Welcome to the Akakomadori restaurant/bar Naruto. How can we help you today?” Ekyt asked jovially. As if I didn’t know…
Naruto stretched his arms behind his head and appeared lacidasical. “Yeah, I got an order from Granny Tsunade. She wants a bottle of the best stuff. I’ve got a warrant allowing me to carry it, even though I’m kinda underage.”
Ekyt looked over the warrant. “Sure thing. Let me talk with the owner, to find the best stuff. Please, wait here, I won’t be long.”


As soon as Ekyt left, Naruto keyed up his mic.
“You guys won’t believe this. And there’s no way I’m going to pass this mission, he’s already on to me. He’s getting the sake now, but he doesn’t even look like himself. He’s dressed like a civilian. I can’t even see a weapon on him!”
Through his mic, he heard Kakashi’s voice. “He’s armed, somewhere, don’t worry about that. But if he’s already on the defensive, pull out. That will throw him off-guard, for plan ‘S’.”


At that point, Ekyt returned, a bottle in hand.
“Here you are, Naruto. Say hi to everyone for me…well, not the Hokage or Ebisu. Anyway, no charge.”
“Thanks. Nice clothes, by the way! Catch ya later!” Naruto ran out of the shop. Outside, he met Kakashi and Sakura.
“Alright, we need a new plan. Sakura, do you remember what kunoichi were originally used for?” Kakashi asked kindly. Naruto even remembered THIS fact.
“Sure, sensei. They were supposed to seduce (realizes where this is going)…the…enemy…” Sakura looked from Kakashi to Naruto, then back. Her eyes widened, and she backed up.
“No way. You can’t want me to do that. I mean, I like Ekyt, he’s a great kid, but, I mean, I, um…”
“Sakura…you wouldn’t want the mission to fail…would you?” Kakashi asked slyly.
“Well, no, but still…” Sakura sputtered.
“Aw, it’s just Ekyt, he’s no threat to you, right? C’mon Sakura, you can do it!” Naruto gave her a thumbs up and grin.
Sakura’s heart beat faster and she blushed. Could I really be in love with Naruto? He’s asking me to seduce another boy? Even if it IS Ekyt, who I can trust…My feelings just feel so complicated right now…But I’m on a mission, and failure isn’t an option! Here we go!
“I’ll do it!”


Ekyt heard the sound of a flap being lifted. He didn’t turn around right away. The person moved lightly, a child or a female. He heard the whisper of fabric, but it wasn’t that of a gi. He heard the clip-clop of high-heels or boots. But that was all he could sense. So he turned around. Immediately, his face turned beet red under his mask. He could feel himself start to sweat, despite himself. Damnit, stop that! he commanded his body, to no avail.
“Hi Sakura,” he managed to say.
“Hi Ekyt-kun…” she replied, smiling charmingly.
“What can I get you?” Ekyt asked, trying to do his job.
“Mmm…I don’t know, what do you suggest? Ah, these are killing me!” Sakura put her leg up on the bar, which would have given Ekyt a view of what was under her skirt, not to mention her leg.. She waited for Ekyt’s reaction, but it never came. He had turned around to get her a menu! When he turned back around, he had his head behind it!
“Well, the house special is rice, chicken ramen, along with wasabi peas, and grilled salmon. That’s my personal favorite,” he said. As he put the menu down, Sakura’s leg cramped up and she had to put it back on the floor.
“That sounds really good. Oh, I meant to tell you, one of the table legs is broken out there.” Sakura pointed.
Ekyt walked around the counter and bent down to fix it. Sakura position herself right behind, so that his face would be inches away from her when he got up.
A spider fell on Sakura’s shoulder, just as Ekyt was ducking under the table to fix it. Sakura saw the spider.
“KYAAH!” she screamed, knocking it off her shoulder.
The shout startled Ekyt, who cracked his head on the underside of the table. “Ow! Sakura, are you alright?”
Sakura immediately assumed a scared-little-girl pose.
“It was soooo big, Ekyt-kun, and it just caught me by surprise!” Sakura gulped, then put her hands around Ekyt’s waist and snuggled up to him. She pressed against his body slightly, and she saw his ears redden.
CHA! Finally!

Ekyt felt his face redden even more. Why is she doing this? Does she know how I feel about her? Wait-what’s that near her ear. Damn, I’ll hate myself, but if I’m right…
Ekyt put his arms around Sakura. “Well, it’s gone now. There are some other…specials (Oh man, I hate myself for this!)…maybe could interest you in one?”
Ekyt moved his head toward her ear, whispering. Then, he grabbed what he saw.
Sakura couldn’t believe it. He-he’s coming on to me? But it’s so unlike him! What do I do?!
“Got it!” Ekyt declared. In his hand was the microphone Sakura had hidden. He let go of her and stormed outside.


Kakashi and Naruto were listening in, and they couldn’t believe Ekyt was saying that stuff! Until he appeared behind them.
“A little hitch in your scheme,” Ekyt said calmly, holding up Sakura’s headset.
“How did Sakura hitting on you not work?!” Naruto demanded.
Ekyt smiled, a little forlornly, under his mask. “Because she’s out of my league. She has someone else in her sites. And she’ll get him. If you want an explanation, I’ll tell you: I’m not coming back. I was wronged. Without my team, I can’t go any farther. If I had made chunin, there wouldn’t be a problem. But now, I’d be a genin forever. And I can’t learn any more as a genin. D-ranks can’t teach me anything else. I’ve found a job, and as long as Tsunade and Ebisu are the administration, I won’t be promoted. Tsunade turned her back on me, and Ebisu is an asshole. I almost hope I crippled that prick.”
Ekyt threw the headset on the ground.
“Nice try. But I’m not coming back. I’d only get screwed again…”


“We have to convince him otherwise…but how?” Kakashi was thinking out loud. Sakura and Naruto were blank, too.


NEXT ISSUE: INOXSASUKE, and KIMIMAROXTEMARI Updates! Plus, Team 7 meets their new member, and Ekyt meets the sickly adopted son of the Akakomadori family! Don’t miss it!

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

musicismylife on January 9, 2008, 5:21:30 AM

musicismylife on
musicismylifewoohoo!!!!! keep dem comin!!!!!

hflp on January 9, 2008, 2:29:00 AM

hflp on
hflpGreat chapter. Keep them coming

alchemest1 on January 8, 2008, 5:13:49 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Lol. I see mine and Jenny's fingerprints all over this one. Lol. Great work. It was awesome. Glad I had a part in it's creation. Lol

subculturalgirl113 on January 8, 2008, 4:46:03 PM

subculturalgirl113 on
subculturalgirl113wow i love it hunny lol im glad a1 an i helped ya on this one sorta lmao. i cant wait to read on!