Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 45 - Theory and Practice

A Naruto fic. Yep, that''s my speech, lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 45 - Theory and Practice

Chapter 45 - Theory and Practice
Oh…my…God! I’m getting to see the festival with Ryouko-sempai! This is so amazing! I can’t believe it! Me and him at the Ai Festival! It’s so unreal!

Little Suki was thrilled as she led the way through stands and people. Games of skill and chance were littered around, along with food of every kind. Occasionally, Ryouko pointed out a game. The first one was a target practice game in which you threw a kunai with on the tip sharp toward balloons which were tied to a wall. You had to hit five to win a prize, but you only started with three kunai. Ryouko gave Suki a small wink as he took the three knives. One after the other, Ryouko lobbed them lazily at the balloons. The person in charge of the game snickered at the lazy throws. He stopped snickering when the balloons, laid out in rows, began to pop. Ryouko took out three rows of five balloons each with his first three knives. The person in charge stopped him, telling him he could take any prize he wanted, as long as no one else saw that technique! Ryouko stepped aside and let Suki pick whatever she wanted. She was awestruck, but walked away holding a tiger ANBU mask, a set of kewpie dolls, and a set of kunai knives that would be the envy of her class.

After that it was food. When a boy from class gave Suki a shove, Ryouko collared him and snarled a warning that turned the little punk into jelly. When Ryouko dropped him, the kid took off at top speed, disbelieving that he hadn’t noticed Suki’s escort. For her part, Suki was so thrilled with the fun she was having that she couldn’t even be troubled by the bigger problem looming on the horizon- how to tell Ryouko-sempai how she felt about him. There was no easy way to do that. And the stories about Ryouko-sensei didn’t make that any easier. The stories included:

Ryouko shot down hordes of girls
Ryouko only like blondes
Ryouko was married secretly
Ryouko loved Lady Tsunade

And so on. None had any basis for truth, but people will talk. In the Hidden Leaf, everyone knew everyone else’s business. A handsome, talented man like Ryouko being single was a topic that came up now and then. That was, of course, how the stories got started. Suki didn’t believe any of that. She had an instinctive feeling that something had happened to Ryouko-sempai in the past. Something that made him too scared, or completely unwilling, to love. Or maybe he just hadn’t met the right person; that was certainly possible. It was common knowledge that Ryouko was very picky about most things concerning his private life. He had never spoken his real name, for starters. His appearance always professional. And so on. So, if that’s how he was, maybe he was the same with girls?

Ryouko aimlessly found another game, laughing at the concept. It was a samurai vs samurai battle for two people. Now THAT was fun. Wearing padded costumes, complete with masks, people competed with soft toy swords in an attempt to knock each other off of a trampoline and onto a pile of padding. Suki could tell Ryouko-sempai was going to enjoy this.

I wonder who he’ll be fighting… Suki wondered, chewing on her fried squid. Oh, that’s right! I promised myself I’d tell him how I felt. After this game, I’m going to tell Ryouko-sempai how I feel, no matter what! Please, let me have the guts to tell him! Suki’s silent begging was her salvation at this point. Then the game started, and Suki focused on watching Ryouko.

-

Ryouko bowed to his opponent, guessing that he would win quickly. Not through confidence- he WAS a samurai. He had to have an advantage. The shout to being the game came, and he and the other ‘samurai’ rushed in. To Ryouko’s surprise, the two were almost evenly matched. They clashed swords, blocked, dodged, rolled, and kicked, but it was a stalemate.

Who is this person?! Ryouko tried to figure out something while he fought, but the padded costume masked his opponent’s body, and the trampoline’s bounce covered their footwork. It was impossible to tell what anything about your opponent- in this game, skill spoke for itself.

Finally, fifteen minutes later, the match was declared a draw. Ryouko and his opponent bowed to each other, exiting the makeshift arena. Suki had chewed nervously on the skewer her squid had come on- partially for Ryouko to win, partially for herself to keep her courage up. She had to smile as he pulled off the to gear, commenting on how close it was to the real thing, then accepting a prize of 5000 ryo for the performance he had just put on. The other samurai was getting the same amount of money. But Suki didn’t notice that. Instead, she took Ryouko’s hand, led him to a bench, sat down, and just said it.

“I love you. Please accept my feelings.”

Ryouko instantly bowed his head. “I’m sorry. I really want to Suki-chan. But the age difference is just too much. And, well…you could do better than me. But it couldn’t hurt to…”

Ryouko leaned down and kissed Suki on the forehead, much to the girl’s surprise.

“If it makes you feel any better, it’s not because there’s anyone else. You didn’t ‘lose’ to anyone. I know the Uchiha blood in you would boil if that was the case. But the fact is…you can and will do better than me, Suki-chan. Trust me when I say that. And I will be in your corner to back you up when you need me.”

Suki should have been heartbroken. Instead, she felt relieved and proved. Relieved that Ryouko had been honest, and proud that she had his support.

“And I’ll be there for you, Ryouko-sempai!” Suki shouted cheerfully over the banter of people and the distance CRACK of fireworks exploding loudly overhead. Their bright colors illuminated Ryouko’s shocked face- that had gone well.

“Alright then. Let me walk you home, Suki-chan. Unless you have…” Ryouko glanced over his shoulder, seeing the other ‘samurai’ staring at him intently. Ryouko felt something surge through him. Something that put him on his guard. He knelt down next to Suki and quietly told her to go home and check in with her family. Suki sensed something was wrong and did as Ryouko asked, giving her sempai one last hug before the festival was over. Ryouko watched her go while he stood still, giving the samurai a chance to catch up to him.

“Your fighting style was familiar to me as well,” the other samurai said, shedding her equipment first, then her helmet and mask. The equipment’s removal showed a gorgeous body. Long, slim legs, a firm torso, and so on until her face and hair. Instantly, Ryouko was blown away.

“You…Azami-san…” Ryouko’s hand felt for the handle of his wakazashi. Quickly he drew it, just as Azami drew her own blade. They stood, like two bulls locked in a ritual of superiority. Each blade was just inches away from the neck of it’s owner’s opponent.

“You got it. You still remembered me, huh? I’m flattered. You’ve gotten cute and stayed young-looking. Very nice…very nice indeed…” Azami cooed in her exotic voice. She slid her weapon into it’s sheath, prompting Ryouko to do the same.
“Is that any way for two old friends to act?”

Ryouko gave a mirthless laugh. “ ‘Friends’, Azami-san? Wouldn’t that be stretching the truth a little?”

Azami laughed and agreed. “Yeah. Still, it was interesting to see you again. You were such a lost soul eight years ago…even more so now. I can just tell. So imagine my surprise when your name came up as my next bounty…I turned it down, of course. Someone like you can’t have a price on your head. Besides, I don’t take small-time gigs. All the same…I just couldn’t pass by without seeing you again…”

Azami slid closer to Ryouko, their eyes meeting again. This time, Azami’s eyes were playful, while Ryouko’s were dotted with a mixture of fear and hope. He felt a spark- this time, he didn’t feel it alone, apparently.

“You look pretty hot in that get-up,” Azami murmured, dangerously close to Ryouko’s ear. She picked at his gi top. “Yes, you HAVE stayed in shape, too. I’m surprised you’re alive, let alone looking fit and trim like this.”

Ryouko didn’t move. He just let Azami slither around him. “You look great yourself.”

Azami laughed a little, giving Ryouko a smart swat on the butt, leaving her hand on his leg for a long moment. “Flattery will get you everywhere. Now, I think, eight years ago, we started something. I’m thinking we should finish it. Call it a courtesy, but I don’t like to leave anyone hanging. My clients always get their money’s worth, and they always get what they ask for. Dead, alive, injured…doesn’t matter to me. If the price is right and it isn’t immoral, I’ll do it.”

Ryouko’s eyes slid toward Azami. “Immoral? I guess you mean prostitution, because you don’t seem to have a problem with killing.”

BAM. Azami pushed Ryouko up against a tree, her face inches away from his.

“I kill scum. I never sleep around. I don’t do drugs. But I’m decisive, Ryouko. I know what I want, when I want it, and how to get it.” Azami leaned forward and planted a long kiss on Ryouko’s lips. The kiss wound up being pretty adult-like, which surprised Ryouko for some reason, despite the fact they were both adults. Azami opened her eyes slightly, giving Ryouko a decidedly coy look.

“I believe I’ve collected my last bounty.”

-

Suki couldn’t help but be a little sad. In her heart, she knew that Ryouko-sempai was right. That didn’t mean she liked the reality of the situation. Now she faced the prospect of telling her friends and her parents what happened. Her parents would have had to know how this would work, while Suki’s friends would laugh and promise to prank Ryouko until he regretted his decision. Her thoughts were jumbled as she walked into her room, sliding the door closed behind her. She wanted some alone tine before she told everyone what had happened.

-

Ryouko backed away from Azami, looking decidedly downcast. Being kissed by a gorgeous woman like that wasn’t a cause for depression. At Azami’s questioning glance, Ryouko ran a hand through his hair.

“I just feel bad for that girl I was with. I don’t want her to feel crushed, like she lost to someone for my…well, affections. I’m more than twice her age, and I’m not her teacher or anything…but still…”

Azami immediately stopped her bounty hunter act. In reality, she was pretty understanding. But she enjoyed the part of the hardass she had to play.

“I can appreciate that, Ryouko-san. She might get the wrong idea if I stick around here…”

Ryouko worried that Azami was going to leave, but Azami had a different approach in mind.

“Let me have a little girl to girl talk with her. I’ll straighten things up.” Azami raised a finger. “BUT- remember, I’m still a bounty hunter at heart, doing jobs for a price. This one is going to cost you. Fair enough?”

Ryouko agreed it was. “Name your price.”

--++--

Ekyt sat up with a start, drenched in a cold sweat. He wondered how he had gotten on his bed for a moment before recalling he had walked here and practically collapsed after studying for seven days with maybe seven hours of sleep total. All the information his brain had collected- it had to have caused that nightmare. But Ekyt couldn’t shake the lingering feeling the dream left. It had felt all too real. The girl…she hadn’t felt so real, although Ekyt wished she had been. Seeing Sasuke and Sakura married…Naruto as Hokage…himself as a loser…it was sobering to Ekyt. Sobering was the last thing he needed. But what could he do about it? A dream was a dream. Sakura was with Naruto, and Sasuke was with Ino. That led Ekyt to push the dream aside as meaningless.

Ryouko? Where did that come from? Cool name, but when do I get it? What am I saying, it was a stupid dream. My name is Ekyt. Man, is EVERYTHING going weird on me? Well, whatever. I’m shaking that dream off and taking that exam proctor test.

Ekyt marched straight to Tsunade’s office, asking when the next test was. When ‘not for a year’ was the response, the stoic Ekyt broke down. Muttering a curse, he nearly put a hole in the floor. Tsunade would normally have been angry, but she could see something was eating at Ekyt.

“Did you get some sleep? You didn’t go back to the library, right?” Tsunade felt his forehead for a fever, finding a slight one, caused by fatigue and poor nourishment.

“Sleep is the problem! I had this dream. I know, I’m twenty, a dream shouldn’t bother me, but this was…different.” Ryouko nervously laid out the entire dream to Tsunade. Now, Tsunade was no expert on dreams, although the Third Hokage had studied them, mostly recreationally. Tsunade had picked up some of the knowledge, so she plucked a reference book from the shelf behind her, flipped it open, and started reading into Ekyt’s dream.

“To put it simply Ekyt,” Tsunade said, snapping the book closed, “That dream is desire meeting frustration. Seeing all those people married and living out their dreams- that’s what you want for yourself. Your frustration is that you don’t think you can have that. And as for that girl…well, don’t read into her. She symbolizes a weakness for you. A desperation to belong that might someday become a real problem for you. So, take the dream as an ‘awakening’- change things before they become that way.” Tsunade spun her chair around to look out the window.

“Reality is what we make it. Once we make it, it’s set it stone. But we CAN guide it’s course somewhat. It’s going to be all up to you to make your own reality. The people around you will affect it. How you choose to interact with them is what will define this reality.”

Ekyt nodded- this wasn’t new to him. He understood, but it was like those jutsus he had learned in the library- theory and practice were two very different things. But he didn’t have time to think about that now- Someone needed a discreet back-up. A single person who could handle a major problem, if necessary. Jiraiya had been watching the Akatsuki, and he was in to report his findings to Kakashi and Yamato. Team seven didn’t know these meetings were taking place- they were top-secret, and often concerned Naruto. Yamato and Kakashi agreed that Ekyt would be a good fit, in case Jiraiya had been followed. He wouldn’t be at the meeting- he would be watching from a distance, waiting for a signal from one of the three, or acting if he saw a threat.

Tsunade outlined all this to him in record time. She hadn’t thought about Ekyt though- was his fatigued body okay to handle this? If there WAS a fight, it would be a big one, and Ekyt could very easily become a sacrificial lamb. This information HAD to be delivered, and Ekyt would be the one on the front lines, holding back the enemy, as at least one of the three of those meeting had to make it back.

But Ekyt was Ekyt. Tired or not, he was taking this mission. He took up a chakra cigarette, lit it, and popped it into his mouth. He thought about the older version of himself in that dream, realizing he was rapidly developing into the man he was in that dream, at least in looks and skill. It was clear that ‘Ryouko’ had a similar mindset- but not identical.

“Alright, I’m off. M’lady, if it’s not asking too much…when I get back, could I get your help with one of the jutsus I picked up in the library?”

Tsunade gave a tired nod. “Come back in one piece and you have my word that I’ll help you out.”

--

Team Seven never noticed that they were always sent on an unsupervised mission at least once a month. They HAD noticed that their team roster had changed so many times it was unreal. Now their roster seemed to be a set mix of strengths offsetting weakness, with additional members coming and going as necessary. Naruto knew it was for his protection, but when he did the math in his head, he decided that things couldn’t keep working like this. Too many people were at risk if he lost control. He vowed to talk with Tsunade the first chance he got.

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on January 31, 2011, 7:03:30 AM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusI really like this! Once I get caught up on your co-op, I'm gonna have to look through your other stuff, cause you've got some great stuff here!

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on November 6, 2008, 8:53:25 PM

Y0URIMAGINARYFRIEND on
Y0URIMAGINARYFRIENDWell, if that's the future...he could do worse. Well, assuming he actually stayed with Azami.
The mission sounds worrying though, he's only just got off sick-leave!

andr28a on October 17, 2008, 2:29:04 AM

andr28a on
andr28aBAM reality sets in.
These series of chapters were totally cool

hflp on October 13, 2008, 9:24:39 AM

hflp on
hflpHmmm. There are a lot of possibilities for what's to come. This is shaping out to be one of the best stories I've ever read.