Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 19 - Affair of the Heart

I take couples requests. CanonxCanon, OCxCanon only, though. For now, no yaoi/yuri. Please read and comment on at least 1 completed ch before making an rq.

Chapter 19 - Affair of the Heart

Chapter 19 - Affair of the Heart
NOTE: PLEASE READ 'DESIRES' (CHAPTER 17) FIRST.

I couldn’t wait for Ryouko to come. I had heard other girls talk about how they couldn’t wait for their boyfriends, or they were gonna date this guy, or whatever. I have to say, I never say the big deal.

But now, what a difference! Ryouko isn’t even my boyfriend yet, and I can’t stop thinking about him! When I think of his face after I kissed him on the cheek, I get all gooey inside! And the only way to stop feeling gooey is to remember how he shied away from me when I went to touch his face that first time.

So now, my mission is to make him trust me. It won’t take long. Call it women’s intuition, but I think he really cares about me. He is two and half years older than me, but who cares? That’s nothing!

I yawned and stretched myself. It was time to get up to go see Lady Tsunade. She would grill me for details, no doubt.

Trying to rub the sleep out of my eyes, I stepped into the shower. I lathered up and washed quickly. I enjoy my bath time, but I always wash as fast as I can, in case I have to get out quickly. But when I don’t, I get the added bonus of being able to just stand under the hot water and relax. It’s so comforting, especially on my achy body. I may be strong, but I had to pay to earn that strength! Lady Tsunade packs a wallop, and even more so on her apprentice. She’s hard on her assistants, too, but that’s only because she wants us to be excellent. And I think we are. Our mortality rate is really low, especially considering out dangerous line of work.

I giggled to myself- That was how Ryouko had first gotten the idea to ask me out. He’s a frequent…customer, I guess. He always needs to be patched up. He’s one of the bravest guys I know, but he pays for it sometimes. I don’t know how many knives have hit his body, but most of them were ones he could have dodged. He didn’t dodge because there was someone behind him he needed to protect. I guess I’m envious of that kind of bravery.

As I was standing in the shower, I thought of this one time when Ryouko had to fight without a shirt. It was soooo hot! His body isn’t horribly muscular, but it fits him. He’s built solidly without being showy. Seeing his body move with his martial artist’s grace, and sweat dripping off his body…

I shivered, thinking of the boy I was meeting tomorrow night. He was so innocent about love, and that’s just what I wanted.

Being that he’s twenty and I’m still seventeen, we’ve got to take things slow; at least until my birthday. That’s tonight (well, tomorrow morning, technically), and I’m really excited! I mean, I’m not going to jump into bed with him, but at least I won’t have a curfew anymore! Finally, I’ll be an adult, and I can have some independence. I love my parents, but they’re so overprotective! My Father wouldn’t let me date just anyone. In fact, he would rather see me date Sasuke than Ryouko. Sasuke might be a traitor, but his bloodline is that of a powerful clan. Ryouko has no such distinction, but I don’t care. I know that Ryouko is both ten times the man that Sasuke is, and ten times the warrior. Sasuke fights on borrowed power, while Ryouko makes do with what he had, all the while seeking ways to improve himself. This isn’t some sexual innuendo, but that kid’s gotta have a huge set of balls to do what he does.

I shivered slightly at that thought. When I was a young girl and thought of love, I didn’t think of anything past kissing. When I got older, I thought about kids. What was always missing was (1) the way kids are made and (2) The fun you have in-between getting to know each other. Even the awkwardness in of first kisses and touches, and the mixture of feelings you feel as you get to know each other…all of it felt good, even when in any other situation, it would have been a horrible feeling. It was kind of a right of passage. Could you stand each other at both their best and their worst? Could you keep secrets from each other? Could you keep each other’s secrets? Was there a spark there? All questions that dating answers- if you can sweat out the awkwardness.

I stepped out of the shower, studying my body in the mirror. I always felt fat, pasty-skinned, small-breasted, big-foreheaded, and generally unattractive. But Ryouko thought I was beautiful, and he made me feel beautiful. We had only dated once, but I had fallen hard for him. It was strange that I had just said ‘yes’ to a date on a whim, but I haven’t regretted it. And tonight he was coming over! Ryouko was coming over!

Frantically, I glanced around my room. I was nearly eighteen, but I still had stuffed animals on my bed. I started to put them away in my dresser, but stopped myself. Ryouko wouldn’t care about that. If the two of us got in my room, we wouldn’t be thinking of stuffed animals.

I squeezed the bear in my hands as I blushed. I put the bear in front of my face, though there was no one to hide the redness from but myself.

I told him it was his turn to do the kissing tonight… But I don’t know how! I mean, I guess there’s no set way to kiss, but how do I know if it feels good to him? The last thing I want is for him to be uncomfortable while we kiss.

-

I was horribly distracted when it came to studying today. I tried extra-hard, too, so Lady Tsunade wouldn’t think my dating Ryouko to be a bad thing. When one of my healing salves somehow exploded, Lady Tsunade turned to me, almost angry. I winced, knowing how vicious her temper can be. But she just shook her head, smiled, and said ‘ah, love!’

“Sakura? Are you okay?”

It was Shizune, Lady Tsunade’s chief aide. Her and I get along well. We’ve both seen the best and worst of Lady Tsunade, and lived to tell the tale. That makes us automatic friends. Shizune was never someone I could just talk to, though. We were friends, but she was older. But maybe on a matter of love, she could help? She was dating Genma, an exam proctor and a friend of Ryouko’s. So maybe…

“I’m fine,” I answered earnestly, brushing my hair aside. “I was just thinking about Ryouko…”

“Oh, I see! Good thoughts? A special date?”

I knew she wasn’t trying to pry. She just needed more information in order to help me.

“Both,” I replied, blushing. “He’s coming over tonight. And he’s never met my parents. Even though I live on my own, my Mother is still really protective of me. And Ryouko is twenty… I mean, not that two years is a lot! But I don’t know how my Mom will feel. And my Dad…well, he wants me to keep after Sasuke. Oh, damn it! It’s all because of his Uchiha blood! But I want someone who I can really love, without worrying about grudges and all that. Sasuke isn’t the same guy anymore. And Ryouko’s just kind of…”

“He kind of worships you, doesn’t he?” Shizune intoned, looking up at the sky.

We had wandered to the top of the Hokage mansion, taking a break from our duties. Lady Tsunade didn’t seem to mind today. Maybe she understood I needed to talk to someone? I had considered talking to My Lady, but she was too high strung for this.

“I mean, having a crush on you for two years like that, and not saying a word. And he even tried to make sure you got your wish. He would have delivered you to Sasuke if you had asked. (sigh) It’s so romantic! I bet you didn’t notice, but he always blushed around you!”

“He blushes around every ‘available’ kunoichi, though!” I protested, thinking of him. “I mean, why not Tenten? I know he liked her, too…”

Shizune put a thoughtful hand under her chin. “Well, true. But I know you were the original. And besides, everyone knew Tenten only had eyes for Neji anyway. Besides, it was YOU he asked out, right?”

“…I guess so. (Giggle) Boys are so shy about their feelings!” I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Oh, c’mon, we’re not always that much better as girls! I mean, either boys are skittish, or we come on too strong. That, or boys are clueless about emotions, while we’re too in tune with them. Either way, love is a hard game. But it’s worthwhile.”

I smiled and hugged Shizune. “Thank you. I think that’s what I needed to hear.”

CRASH! BONK!

Shizune and I glanced at each other, nodded once, then took off for Lady Tsunade’s office.

-

“DAMN IT!”

I ducked as a scroll flew my way.

“My Lady, what’s wrong?!” I shouted over her rampage. As I surveyed the carnage, I saw that she had thrown her chair out the window. (Not for the first time, either. She has an explosive temper. We’re all just thankful it isn’t her desk that she tends to throw during these fits.)

“That damn Danzou! Trying to demand that I change the way I do things! Ugh! I hate that old, crippled, shriveled, crotch-rot, worthless old bastard!”

Her temper tantrum not quite over, Tsunade picked up her heavy wooden paperweight. She flung it out the door. Unfortunately, my date was walking in at that moment.

THOCK!

The paperweight smacked Ryouko dead-center of the forehead. It slid off his face, leaving a comical look of shock on his face, along with a cut that allowed blood to run down his forehead.

“Coincidence, or good aim?” Ryouko said with a grin, massaging his forehead. “Have I done something to incur your wrath M’lady?”

Even M’lady, wound as tight as she was, had to lighten up a little bit at that statement. It was pretty common knowledge that she and Ryouko used to get along as well as cats and dogs. In fact, that was why Ryouko wasn’t a jonin yet. He seemed to notice me at the moment I thought that.

“Oh! Good morning, Sakura-Ojousama.”

I shook my head. “Nope. Wrong title, kiddo. Try again.”

“Sakura-dono?”

“One last try…”

“Sakura-sama?”

I finally gave him a little smack in the head. “No! If you’ve GOTTA add an honorific, don’t make it so formal! Are you being dense on purpose?”

“No, it’s my nature,” he shot back, getting my drift. “Sorry, Sakura…chan?”

“Oh, we’re that close now, are we? For pet names?” I play-scolded, hands on my hips. I had to sigh as he recoiled immediately.

“Sorry, my mistake!” Ryouko said, panicked. This caused me to sigh.

Before we had started dating, I had always felt bad for Ryouko. Things never seemed to go right for him. And when they DID go right, something else went wrong. But he was a genuinely nice guy. So when we started dating, it made me even sadder. What was simple flirting to me was a whole different world to him. One he hadn’t been in before.

“S’okay,” I finally said aloud. “M’lady, I’m taking my break now. I’ll be right back.”

-
Once outside, on the outside staircase that led to Lady Tsunade’s office, I gently explained to Ryouko what I had meant about the honorific thing. To my surprise, he seemed to understand. He, of course, apologized. He couldn’t quite meet my gaze as he spoke. To most, that would be an indication that someone is lying. As for me, I just knew it to be Ryouko’s shy nature kicking in.

“I…don’t mean to be so…skittish. I trust you…I mean…sorry.”

That’s what he said. He had to work hard to say it out loud, I’d imagine, but he did.

Ryouko is like a dog someone kicked for fun once too often. Now his first instinct is to bite, rather than show affection. But he tries so hard! It’s both cute and sad. I can literally see him forcing himself to fight his first instinct. But this was easy to fix- I would simply have to train him.

I patted him on the head. “It’s fine. I know how you are. Okay, Ryo-kun?”

I had hoped by giving him a pet name, he would see that it was okay, too. Lead by example and all…’tho I can’t wait to drop the formality entirely.

“I follow, Sakura…-chan.”

I grinned as he said it after that moment’s hesitation. It was just so funny to think that a warrior like him could be humbled simply by a girl’s request. He’s got the whole ‘mystery’ thing going for. Plus a little roguish five-o’clock shadow, and that baby face. The bags under his eyes from stress were even cute in their own way. They were just a cool little quirk. The eyes, hazel in color, were almond-shaped and expressive. I wondered how he analyzed my looks?

“Oh!” I smacked my fist against my hand, remembering why I had wanted to talk to him to begin with. “Tonight! Can you come at five?”

“Five’s good.”

“Great! Um…Listen, I’ve, uh, never brought a boy home before…”
I was nervous now. My palms were sweating, and my throat was dry. I kept fidgeting, too. This was a hard one to get out.

“And my parents can be kind of…overprotective.”

“I expected as much,” Ryouko replied. “I’ll be on my best behavior. If you just tell them I’m afraid of you, I’m sure they’ll warm up to me.”

I giggled at the little joke, then told the hardest part of my warning to him. “My mom is okay, but she’ll question you a lot. It’s my Dad…he’s, um…well, nothing’s too good for his little girl. He’s expecting someone with a prestige like Sasuke’s, you know? Not that you’re not prestigious in your own way, but, I mean…”

I watched Ryouko as he stepped forward, closer to me. His hand shook, but it found it’s place in mind. His hand was sweating as much as mine was, though he either didn’t notice or didn’t care. He gave my hand a quick squeeze.

“Don’t worry. If you parents weren’t wary of me, then they wouldn’t be good parents. I’m an older boy who they see as a threat to their little girl. I’m sure that’s normal. But don’t worry about that- it’s my job to make them like me. Or, at least, tolerate me. I can be convincing.”

I hadn’t seen this coming. Ryouko was smooth, calm, and confident. He said and did just the right things to put me at ease. It was only our second date, and I didn’t call him my ‘boyfriend’ yet, but I was pretty sure I would be soon. I really had to talk to the other girls about him. Tenten would be perfect, since Ino was still seething with jealousy (heh).

Out loud, I managed a nod. “Good to know. Five o’clock, then?”

“I’ll be there at five. Uh, just one thing…I know where you live, but what about your parents? I mean, you normally live alone, don’t you?”

In all the chaos, that had slipped my mind. I usually had my own apartment, while my parents lived in a house that wasn’t too far away. We would be eating at my parent’s house. I wasn’t ready for Ryouko to meet my parents, but I didn’t want to wait, either. And if anyone saw him coming to my apartment…well, gossip is a jutsu that everyone in the Hidden Leaf knows.

“They live on Leaf Tea street, off the main road. Right near the fruit and vegetable stand. On the other side there’s an oden cart. Red roof, green door…”

“Oh, I know the place, I think. If worse comes to worse, my dog can help me find the place.”

I brightened again, giving a flirty smile. “Okay, it’s a date!”

“Oh, really?”

I turned red with embarrassment. Asuma-sensei and Kurenai-sense were coming up the stairs behind Ryouko. Now, Ryouko was tight with Asuma and Kurenai, but I wasn’t. Ino was on Asuma’s team, and to be honest Kurenai’s team (Shino, Hinata, and Kiba) weirded me out a little.

“That’s right, I’m going out with her,” Ryouko told them happily. But I could sense a dangerous edge to his voice. “So, is it the same with the two of you, then?”

Kurenai and Asuma dating was the worst-kept secret in the Hidden Leaf.

“Fine. I won’t tell if you won’t…” Asuma murmured, backed into a corner.

“Deal,” Ryouko replied.

“But I want details, Ryouko. Y’know, after you…y’know…if you have a cigarette-”

“O-kay, thanks sensei! I’ll see you later!”

--

Sakura’s father was a harsh, brutally-honest man. Usually clad traditionally in a hakama, gi, and haori jacket, he was no great Shinobi. But he was a genius when it came to the crafting of weapons. He didn’t make them himself- he appraised their worth. His opinions were regarded as the best and most honest in the Fire Country.
With that kind of prestige, it seemed natural that he’d want the best for his little girl.

“Who is this boy again, Sakura?” he asked, flipping his fan shut.

Sakura gulped- that wasn’t a good sign. It meant he already disapproved of Ryouko.

“His name is Ryouko. He’s a chunin, but he’s easily as strong as a jonin,” Sakura was ready to defend Ryouko. She wasn’t letting this one get away.

“And Uchiha was stronger than a jonin. So tell me again why my little girl is settling for this…this…nameless street thug?”

“He’s not a nameless street thug! He’s already worth more than most of ANBU! And he really cares about me! Blood isn’t everything, Dad!”

At this, Sakura’s father stood up. He snapped his fan open at Sakura.

“You are still a child. You know nothing of this world, no matter what ridiculous notion that woman (Tsunade) fills your head with. It would be better for Uchiha to leave you with a bastard child than this pedigree-less commoner to put the world at your feet.”

“Don’t you DARE say that to Ryouko, Dad! I you do, I swear I’ll…I’ll…!”

Sakura’s mother came in, waving her broom to settle the two down. “No more fighting! Dear, we owe it to Sakura to give her a chance to pick a boy on her own. She can be trusted with that.”

Sakura smiled at her mother. Though that didn’t last long.

“But if that boy mistreats her, I’ll make sure he never touches her again!”

“Agh, you don’t get it; either of you! He loves me! This is a boy who worshipped me from a distance because he didn’t think he was good enough for me! That should tell you how he is!” Sakura half-screamed. This was why she moved out as soon as she became a genin.

“It means that this fool had a measure of sense. He was right- he is NOT good enough for you.”

“Save your judgment for after you meet him, at least! Gah, I knew I shouldn’t have gotten you two involved! I knew it! Do you ALWAYS have to criticize my choices? Can’t you ever support even one of them?! You didn’t like me learning from Lady Tsunade, you don’t like my clothes; and that’s fine! At least you’ve seen them to judge them!”

-

Ryouko stood outside, his heart flip-flopping in his chest. A girl had never invited him over before. How was he supposed to act, again? Like himself? Yeah, that worked SO well when it came to playing nice with other ninja. He couldn’t let this go bad- for Sakura’s sake.

Unknowingly, Ryouko was walking into a hellish scene.

-

“AND DON’T YOU DARE TELL ME HOW I SHOULD TREAT MY OWN DAUGHTER!”

Sakura backed up- her father was scary when he was this angry. Waving that fan around, too…

It’s made of metal, and he’s coming too close!

CLANG!

In a split-second, and in one smooth motion, Ryouko had caught Sakura around the waist, spun her away from the danger, and blocked the fan with the back of his hand. But he wasn’t glaring or anything. He only gave a shy grin.

“And you must be Sakura’s father. How do you do, Haruno-san? I’m Ryouko, the one meeting Sakura. Your daughter is certainly a well-bred young lady.”

Sakura shook her head a little. She flashed back to Kakashi-sensei. Back in the Land of Waves. Stopping Zabuza’s attack with the back of his hand, then talking so calmly.

Could it be that someday Ryouko will be like Kakashi-sensei? I mean, it’s possible, isn’t it?

Sakura’s father glared at Ryouko. But Ryouko only smiled in return, though his eyes held a note of challenge. That wasn’t like a ‘haha’ challenge- that was a ‘if you hurt my girl, there’ll be hell to pay’ challenge. In other words, Sakura’s new boyfriend had already figured out how her father worked.

Haruno snapped his fan open. “Fine then. I see you aren’t impressed by me.”

“Just the opposite, really. But first priority is Sakura’s safety. I’m sure you could appreciate that,” Ryouko replied calmly. “I didn’t want her perfect looks to get marred by that fan you’re swinging. Would I be correct to say that it’s Chinese in origin, used primarily in tai-chi?”

“Oh? And how would you know that?”

“I own one myself, actually. It’s an interesting weapon.”

Sakura couldn’t help but smile. Checkmate by Ryouko. Playing on Dad’s weakness. I love this guy!

But that was a new thought to Sakura. Love? It seemed like such a strong word. Was it wrong? It was so hard to tell what was true and what wasn’t.

But it didn’t feel wrong.

Ryouko knew just how to deal with my Father…who would’ve guessed? Then again, it must only be girls that make him shy. Anything else he can handle, apparently.
And that line about my safety- that wasn’t just to pacify Dad, either. He’s demonstrated that again and again against worse enemies than Dad.


“Oh, so you’re the one whose dating my little Sakura, are you? Well, welcome! Forgive my husband, he tends to get over-excited…”

Sakura’s mom had since walked in, giving her husband an even gaze.

“Shall we eat?”

-

I sat across from Ryouko, wondering how things were going to work. Of him and I, I was certain. But my parents…

It began immediately.

“Ryouko? What kind of name is that?” Dad asked, not bothering to hide the hostility in his voice.

“Oh, it’s an alias,” Ryouko answered pleasantly, as if there was nothing strange about saying your name was an alias during dinner conversation. “My second. My first is ‘Ekyt’, if that’s any more comfortable for you.”

“What’s your real name?”

“I can’t say. ANBU policy, sir. I apologize.”

Huh? His real name? I’ve wondered for a while what it might be. But I got so used to calling him Ryouko, that I forget all about his real name.

“ANBU? Black ops? Well, I guess that means you aren’t a criminal…”

“Dad!” I growled, willing him to shut up. This was ridiculous. My mom stepped it. I was thankful at first, but not for long.

“So, Ryouko, tell us a little about yourself,” my mom requested.

“Let’s see…I’ve been a citizen here for seven years. I’m a chunin, and…well, that’s really it. I work with Sakura a lot. That’s how I met her.”

“My girl’s a medic. Why would you see her so often? You don’t do stupid things like the Uzumaki boy, do you?”

Ryouko chuckled a little. “Not quite. Well, actually, I protect…”

Ryouko’s voice trailed off. I knew it was because he realized that saying ‘I protect your daughter’ would mean that I might seem weak. So he bit his tongue and tried to recover.

“…I get added to squads to protect them, when necessary. That’s really my job. And it means risk, so I do get hurt. But never seriously. Even if I did, though, your daughter could patch me up easily. She’s very talented.”

Nice save, Ryouko! I cheered. If my parents knew how much danger I was in during any given mission…

“And you believe yourself able to protect my daughter?” my Mom asked sweetly.

“I do, ma’am. But as I’ve said, she’s a strong girl. Should she ever need me to protect her, I would do so with every last breath, and every drop of blood,” Ryouko told them, a dead-serious look on his face and absolute conviction in his voice.

Aww, that’s so sweet!

“Sakura, leave us for a moment…”

My Dad had just commanded me to leave my date. Alone, with my parents. This was going to work out one of two ways.

One:
Dad: You’re the perfect man for my girl! Marry her!
Mom: Give me grandchildren! ^^

Or Two:

Dad: Never touch her again!
Mom: Bastard!

I shuddered- I knew which one was more likely. This was my first boyfriend, and my parents didn’t like new things. They didn’t like surprises, and bringing Ryouko to them was most certainly a surprise.

“Okay, Dad…” I said carefully. I gave Ryouko a fond glance. He met my eyes, giving me the tiniest of winks while mouthing ‘it’s fine’. I sighed with a sad smile and left the room.

Though he had been in worse danger, I couldn’t help but feel like I was leaving Ryouko at the mercy of his worst nemesis yet.

I propped myself near the kitchen door. No way I was going to let Ryouko get grilled by my parents to some set of unknown questions. I apologized to him in my mind, and started to eavesdrop. (easy for a ninja, really)

-

Sakura’s parents circled Ryouko. In his mind, Ryouko couldn’t help but picture a shark waving a fan and a shark in an apron.

“So, how old are you?”

“I’m twenty.”

“Ah! You’re too old for my little girl!”

Ryouko shrugged. “I disagree, sir. As I recall, she’ll be eighteen today. Two years age difference hardly means that much. Just my opinion, of course.”

Mr. Haruno slapped the table with his fan, pointing in violently at Ryouko. (Ryouko didn’t flinch) “It’s not your opinion that matters!”

Ryouko didn’t even blink. “You’re right. It’s Sakura’s opinion that matters. It might help, sir, if you’d tell me why you don’t like me. Is it my blood? My looks? Or have I offended you somehow? Or is it that your daughter likes me?”

“Are you telling me that my opinion doesn’t matter?!” Sakura’s Father snarled, snapping his fan on the table again.

“I’m only asking you why you don’t like me. But if you’re asking about opinions…no. I’m only saying that it’s Sakura’s opinion I value more. Which should be the case, also in my opinion.”

Sakura’s father stood up, clearly trying to intimidate Ryouko. “Never again…NEVER AGAIN! NEVER SEE HER AGAIN, YOU LITTLE SMARTASS! NOW, LEAVE!”

Ryouko stood up, glaring at Mr. Haruno mildly. “The choice is your daughter’s. Now I understand why she was so nervous about tonight. She was worried you would browbeat me, just like you tried to do just now. And I made you angry because I had answers for you, right? Here’s a fact: I love your daughter. I haven’t told her as much, but I will. Tonight, she turns eighteen and can choose whether or not she loves me. The choice is hers. And if you don’t want her to hate you, I would suggest leaving it up to her- she’s more than looks. I know she’s a capable girl. That’s one of the reasons why I love her.”

With that, Ryouko bowed slightly to Sakura’s Mother, then stepped out the back door.

--

Outside the door, Sakura’s hands covered her mouth.

Oh my God! He said he loved me! And he stood up to my Dad! But he’s leaving! No, I’m going after him! To hell with this! I’m a woman, and I want to choose who to be with! And I pick Ryouko!

Lots of crazy ideas ran through my head. It was about 6:30 pm now. I wouldn’t be eighteen until midnight. No, actually, at 5:30 in the morning. I was born at dawn on March 28th.

But I felt like an adult. I had done so much, and without my parents help. How they could do this to who I loved was beyond me. I hadn’t told him that I loved him, but that was going to be the subject the next time I saw him.

Giving way to my anger, I crashed into the kitchen. Without waiting for a greeting, I shouted at my parents:

“HOW COULD YOU? HE LOVES ME, AND I LOVE HIM! HOW DARE YOU TRY TO DICTATE TO ME WHO I SHOULD AND SHOULDN’T LOVE! I’M TELL YOU THIS NOW- I WILL HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO WITH YOU OR MY CLAN UNTIL YOU ACCEPT RYOUKO!”

With that, I stormed out after Ryouko, one crazy idea in my head bubbling to the surface.

--

I finally caught up to Ryouko. He hadn’t gone far. He was probably waiting for me.

“You heard that, I guess?” he said, a little smile in his voice.

“Yeah…” I answered. “And is was really beautiful!”

I watched him blush. “Yeah, well…I should say it to your face, I suppose. But I owe you more than that...”

I wanted to know what that was, but words fell out of my mouth faster than I could comprehend them.
“Ryouko, I love you! I…I can’t stand my parents anymore! I…I want you! Let’s just run! Let’s elope!”

I saw the shock on his face. But I didn’t see him hate the idea, and that gave me hope. Therefore, I was saddened when he said:

“We can’t….I’d love to, but we can’t. You’re still seventeen for another few hours. I care about you too much to get you involved in some legal battle. And after that, you’ll be free to make your own choices anyway. If I’m still what you want then…well, we can take our time and do it the right way. Besides that, your teacher would kill us both! I don’t even want to think of what she’d do to me…”

I laughed and had to agree. “Yeah, she would! She would totally maim you first, though!”

Ryouko’s mind was somewhere else. He was thinking about something. He was still so reluctant when it came to me. I wanted him to open up to me. To let me into his life. To let his problems become mine. He has a heavy burden, and I want to share it’s weight. But he’s so shy…

“What time were you born, if I can ask?”

It had taken him a while to think of his question, I guess. “I was born at 5:30 or so. At the dawn.” I had always been proud of that fact, for some reason. It seemed cool to be born at sunrise.

Ryouko gave me a smile. It was shy, but it was there. Slowly, he pulled off his glove, then extended his hand to me.

“We didn’t finish our date. We can’t elope, or run away, but we can walk and have some time alone. That’s what a date is for, right?”

Whoa, I didn’t see that coming! It was so romantic! But I was tired, and I said so. But Ryouko surprised me once again.

“Well, if you fall asleep, I’ll just carry you. Unless you’d rather just go home. That’s fine, too. It’s your barbeque.”

I smiled and wrapped Ryouko up in a hug. “Nah, let’s go paint the town red!”

--

A couple hours later, we had seen a lot of the village. I was getting sleepy. But it was almost my birthday! I was determined to stay awake. I hadn’t said anything to Ryouko, but I wanted him to be kissing me for a full minute straight as I went from age seventeen to age eighteen. I wanted his lips and tongue to be the first things I tasted as an adult. I hadn’t ever kissed anyone on the mouth before, and it was a safe bet Ryouko hadn’t either.

That would just make this time all the more special. A first time, with someone you loved…there was just no beating it. It was one of the things every girl dreams of when she’s little.

It was now 4:30 in the morning. I hadn’t ever had so much fun! But I was getting tired. So I sat down on a bench. Ryouko, who always trained really hard, wasn’t tired in the least. (Though it might have been nervous energy- he still shook while I was near him. Poor guy. I can tell when he’s fighting himself.) Apparently, he possesses good instincts for never dating before.

He knelt down, facing away from me.

“If you’re tired, I’ll carry you like I promised.”

“Ryo-kun, you’re something else! But you’re shaking so much. Try not to drop me, okay?” I joked, climbing up on him piggyback-style. I felt his arms wrap around me upper legs to brace me. I’ve gotta say, he was pretty uncomfortable with this! But much like anything else, he was uncomfortable with it because he really desired it.

“Don’t worry, Ojousama. I won’t drop you.”

I smacked him on the head. “We had a talk about titles this morning, you know…”

“I know. But I suck at flirting, so…”

I giggled and cuddled up to him, resting my head on his shoulder. I made sure to hold on nice and tight, too. He was blushing so hard the heat was rising off his face. I could feel a little five o’clock shadow on his cheeks, and immediately though that it was kind of sexy. I thought that until we started running up at a 90 degree angle!

“What the hell?!”

“Can’t see the sunrise from down there!” Ryouko called back to me. (We were running up one of the village walls, apparently) “I’m not wearing a watch, so I’ve got to guess at what time it is.”

As we reached the top, it was about two minutes until 5:30. Ryouko caught his breath, then turned to face me. He hesitated for a second, then gave me a tight hug.

“I love you!” he managed to say, though it must have taken a lot of guts for him to spit that out. Then, before I could respond, he kissed me full on the lips.

Just like I imagined!

We held this position for over a minute. With the sun behind us, overlooking the village, it was as if this had been set up just for us. I pulled myself closer to him until I couldn’t get any tighter to his body.

All to soon, the kiss was over.

“Happy Birthday, Sakura.”

Eighteen years of birthdays- I don’t think I need to say which one is my favorite. It might have been corny, but to anyone who’s been in love, you know what I mean. That special someone kissing you at a special time…there’s just no beating it.


TO BE CONTINUED!

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on January 3, 2011, 4:22:16 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusAgain- LOVE IT! This is a much better 18th birthday beginning/ending than the link I gave you. Although, I like the ending of that story just fine. ;p

hflp on April 15, 2009, 12:20:29 PM

hflp on
hflpcool.

andr28a on April 13, 2009, 7:34:01 PM

andr28a on
andr28aNice