Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Uchiha Intervention

My OC's tale takes a new direction. More on Naruto and co's past. Please enjoy and comment.

Chapter 4 - Uchiha Intervention

Chapter 4 - Uchiha Intervention
Little Ryouko made his way to the store as though he were walking on rice paper. Every eye seemed to turn toward him. No doubt it was because they had heard his story. Or, if they hadn’t heard his story, his akward clothing (To them) and long sword screamed ‘samurai’. One having the guts to walk amongst them was strange. At the same time, the fact that Ryouko had found favor with two of the legendary Sannin and even Lord Hokage had leaked out, so no one bothered him.

Not to say that Ryouko wasn’t self-conscious. He was- terribly. But as he didn’t know anything about this place, he chose to keep within his comfort zone. That was a trick on the battlefield. When you didn’t know your enemy, instead of guessing at his technique, you used your own technique, since you know yourself best of all. Maybe that was why his first Shinobi scroll was difficult. He hadn’t learned that jutsu from Jiraiya yet, though his hand signs were getting faster. It was bound to happen. Ryouko wasn’t the type to half-@$$ his training in any way, shape or form.

Ryouko’s first stop was at a clothing store. He had seen what the others wore from the window, and he chose accordingly. Blue sandals, blue gi pants, a blue shirt (Ryouko chose short sleeves; his only deviation from the uniform), and a black vest that Ryouko decided he needed. His plan was to wear his hakama and gi when by himself. At school (if he went), he would wear the uniform. For his own comfort, Ryouko also chose black gi pants, a pair of black boots, and a black shirt. The second attire came from seeing children roughly his age run around in clothes that weren’t uniform. Ryouko didn’t care to fit in- or so he pretended. He would never discard his samurai heritage entirely, but neither would he tout it so openly that it would cause a fight.

That was just another sign that Ryouko wanted to fit in here.

-

Next came the grocery store. That meant filling Lord Hokage’s order as well as well as getting food for himself. As he bought what he needed, the cashier (a friendly middle-aged woman) commented on what a strong child he must be to be living on his own and taking care of himself.

“Thank you,” Ryouko said, bowing as always.

“Maybe you’ll see my little nephew in school. His name is Sasuke. You’ll know him right away- he’ll be the best in the class, just like his older brother was! Well then, please take care! Oh, and tell Lord Hokage that his order will come today!”

“I will. Thank you for your time.” Ryouko bowed out of the store. He wasn’t ten feet away when he heard it.

“HELP! STOP THAT THIEF!”

Ryouko spun on his heel, his groceries falling to the ground. Unconcerned about that at the moment, his hand found the hilt of his sword. His feet started moving towards the sound of the scream. Just as he was reaching the door, a masked man carrying a sack of money came running out the door.

“Get outta my way, kid!” he snarled, waving a small knife. Ryouko’s young faced aged once more into the warrior’s face. His eyes narrowed, then met the robber’s eyes.

“Return what you stole. Now. And threaten no one else.”

The robber laughed outright. What was some punk kid going to do to him?!

“Get outta my way- ?!”

The robber lost site of Ryouko for a split second. Ryouko hadn’t disappeared- just ducked low and ran fast, his sword drawing across the robber’s knife hand. The kunai clattered to the ground as Ryouko zipped by.

“OW! You little- bwhoof!”

Ryouko had dodged around behind the robber and brought his sword down onto his right shoulder. Leaving the sword on the bandit’s shoulder, Ryouko thrust it forward so that the dull blade bit in enough to create a superficial wound. With a flick of his wrist, Ryouko held the blade against the robber’s neck.

“Don’t turn around. Don’t move,” Ryouko instructed. “A flick of the wrist, and your head rolls.”

“Heh! You think I’m alone? You won’t kill me! And even if you do, my buddies have already got you surrounded!”

Ryouko looked around. The robber was right. Having fought this type multiple times before, Ryouko knew a few things about them:

They’re cowards. They stay in a group for that reason. Individually, they aren’t all that strong. But most importantly, they have no sense of loyalty. A hostage won’t help me. He’s too injured to fight. So I’ve got to focus on the remaining bandits.

It was amazing that Ryouko’s young mind could think so quickly in a crisis like this. Normally such a shy boy, it was on the battlefield that Ryouko’s strength would show. His eyes and movements were not that of a young boy’s, but that of a seasoned warrior’s.

Ryouko suddenly kicked his hostage’s leg, right on the back of the knee, just as he shoved him forward. The goon fell into on one of his friend’s arms. As the bandit instinctively moved to catch his friend, Ryouko’s foot was planted on the back of the hurt bandit. He sprung off and swung down, cracking the previously unhurt accomplice on top of the head, splitting it, though nowhere near fatally. Spinning around, Ryouko noticed that he had the range advantage with weapons. Using that, Ryouko stabbed low, at ankle height. As he thought, the short knives the robber’s had wouldn’t block that low. They would have to dodge. The nearest one did that, but he was met by Ryouko’s sword case. It smacked him in the nose, with a THUNK, tearing his eyes up. An elbow met his jaw a split-second later.

Ryouko jumped back, having cleared the area behind him- or so he thought. A second shadow above him forced him to turn in mid-air. He couldn’t block the big fist that buried itself at his chi point, three inches below his navel. That forced Ryouko to bend over. A kick to the face straightened him up again, though not before he felt a panic gripping him as blood flowed from his cut face.

I’m going to die…

“FIRE STYLE: FIREBALL JUTSU!” came a strong voice. A blast of fire blew over Ryouko’s shoulder, forcing his captor to let go of him. Ryouko fell to the ground, immediately retrieving his blade. In combat, he had learned that ‘help’ didn’t always stay ‘help’.

A second voice, softer but equally as menacing, called out “Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing!”

The remaining bandits dropped to their knees, screaming wildly. This struck Ryouko as strange- they hadn’t been hit. Unless he had missed the attack somehow?

“Good work. Take them away,” commanded the first voice.

“What about the boy, sir?”

Ryouko felt someone pulling him up by the scruff of his neck. Ryouko considered attacking, but he didn’t want to make an enemy. This person hadn’t harmed him…yet.

“You put him down this instant! He stopped that robber cold until all of you arrived!” the woman cashier said, waving a ladle for emphasis. “Thank goodness you came when you did, Fugaku!”

Ryouko was now face to face with the one called ‘Fugaku’. He was a harsh-looking man, probably in his late thirties. The thing Ryouko noticed the most was his eyes.

They’re red, and have three pupils…is it a disease?

Fugaku closed his eyes, giving him an air of royalty. “Very well, Uruchi. If you’re certain…”

“As certain as we carry the Uchiha name!”

Fugaku went to examine the store. Before he did, he spoke one more order. “Itachi, see to the boy. Make sure he’s unharmed.”

“Yes, father,” Itachi replied. He had been the one with the more gentle voice before. He bent down to Ryouko’s level. Ryouko had since been released by the policeman. He saw that this one had the same eyes that the man in charge had.

“Are you hurt?” Itachi asked.

“I-I’m fine. Thank you. I’m sorry to have caused all of you so much trouble.” Ryouko said that, but what he was saying to himself was ‘why are you so weak? Why did you need saving?’

Itachi stood up, brushing his bangs out of his eyes. “It wasn’t any trouble. I could see your fight, and I’m impressed that someone without jutsus could fight so well. Not to mention your age.”

“Thank you for the praise. Is there anything else I can do?” Why do people always seem so surprised that I’m a warrior at this age? Isn’t that normal, even for ninjas?

Itachi seemed distracted to Ryouko. Ryouko was normally right about these things, but he reminded himself that this was a crime scene, and that this man was on duty. It was only natural that he’d be thinking of other things.

“No,” came Itachi’s answer after a few moments, “We’ll handle it. Thank you again. Be certain to tell Lord Hokage what happened.”

With that, Itachi was gone. Ryouko stayed rooted to the spot for a moment, but then he left, too. He picked his groceries up, placed his sword in his belt, and headed for home.

My first day outside, and THIS happens? I wonder if I’ll get in trouble?

Ryouko’s eyes and face smoothed to his normal mild expression. Battle triggered some instincts in him that changed him into a warrior. But outside of battle, he was just another child, albeit with more drive than most others.

--

Lord Hokage shook his head impatiently upon hearing Ryouko’s report.

“I’m very proud of you, Ryouko. I am, however, ashamed that this sort of thing still happens in our village in a time of peace. You shouldn’t have needed to call on your sword. And even worse, I feel as though my lack of preparation is part of the reason you were hurt.”

“It’s nothing, sir! Really! And I’m glad to help, and fighting as just about the only way I can! I…have a problem accepting charity. So I’m going to make every effort to repay your kindness!”

Lord Hokage smiled at the enthusiasm. “I think it’s time that you learned some of our techniques. Our academy runs year-round, but the new semester won’t start for a few monthes. So I’ll find someone to teach you the basics.”

Ryouko had been puzzled about one thing. Now seemed as good a time as any to ask. “Lord Hokage, why do people do those weird things with their hands? They make…symbols, I guess. But I don’t understand why. Not to mention I don’t know what they are.”

Lord Hokage thought about explaining hand signs and how they worked, but decided that could wait until another day.

“I’ll explain that to you later on. For now, though you act older, you are still a boy, and an injured one at that. I think it would be best if you were to get some rest for now. We can talk further tomorrow morning.”

Ryouko’s body ached, signaling that it agreed with Lord Hokage. Ryouko’s tiny ribs had been creaking since the fight. They weren’t broken, so Ryouko didn’t complain- he was too proud.

“Okay. If I may ask one more, small question…”

“Certainly.”

“Will I be getting more missions? I…enjoy them,” Ryouko finished lamely. I enjoy them because they make me feel useful. Right now, I’m a burden. A leech feeding off of a powerful ninja village. Enemies or not, I WILL repay my debt to them, no matter how long it takes.

“Of course your will. That reminds me, stopping that robbery was a C-ranked mission. You passed that as well, despite it being unplanned. Once I’ve finished the paperwork, you can come get your money. Although I’ll make sure that your mission are D-ranked for a while. Now then, sleep well, Ryouko.”

Clearly the end of the conversation, Ryouko bowed one more time before shuffling upstairs.

--

When he got upstairs, it occurred to Ryouko that he still didn’t buy himself any sleepwear. He made a mental note to do so just seconds before his weary body and mind collapsed onto the bed. But it was not to be a quiet night.

“He’s over here! The child is over here!

The boy heard the shouts, thankfully. That gave him time to drop his wooden bokken and take up his real sword. Well, his real steel sword that wasn’t sharp.

The world turned black and white now. The boy put his wooden bokken across a door, using it as a door bar. That would buy a precious few seconds.

The boy didn’t have time wonder if the improvised door bar would hold. In a leather knapsack was a head that deserved a real burial. Fastening it tight to his shoulders and back, The boy hastily tied a horse’s reigns around his waist for a belt. The horses were long dead, so using one to escape wasn’t an option. That left running and fighting.

“GET HIM!”

The boy ran for it, his hand always on the hilt of his sword. He slunk in the shadows as much as possible, but knew he would be found out eventually. As he sat down to rest, boy picked up the morning dew. It was just dawn now, so there was plenty of it on the grass. The boy rubbed it all over his body, covering cuts with it while hoping to give himself a little protection from the fire arrows.

Sensei, you said my name…what was it? What is my name? Why can’t I remember? I can remember everything else…

An arrow shot just over the boy’s head. It was time to run again. But the boy’s legs were short, and he couldn’t hope to beat the stride of an adult. Quickly, he had one adult opposing him. Then another. And another.

It was time to fight.



SCHWING!

Ryouko had rolled over, drawn his sword, and cut at…nothing. Only air. He was safe, in his bed in the Leaf Village.

A dream…that’s all, a dream. I fought today, maybe that’s why I dreamt this. Oh well…maybe I’ll remember my name if I keep dreaming like that.

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on January 31, 2011, 9:53:52 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusI love this. Haha, trouble seems to follow ryouko like a magnet.

hflp on January 13, 2009, 4:44:57 AM

hflp on
hflpHmmm.... I wonder if Itachi saw anything in Ryouko in their first meeting. Curious.

andr28a on January 12, 2009, 5:33:30 PM

andr28a on
andr28aA chance encounter with Itachi. Now that is something.
I look forward to more chapters