Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Punishment

My OC's tale takes a new direction. More on Naruto and co's past. Please enjoy and comment.

Chapter 7 - Punishment

Chapter 7 - Punishment
Ryouko knew this was bad. He had faced those with killing intent before, but never while protecting someone. He had always been the protected, or he had been alone. This time, he had a three-year-old (who also happened to be his sensei’s son) to save. Against bad odds, this wasn’t going to be without bloodshed.

But whose blood? Is this the time to kill? I’ve always used a training blade. It’s not that Kishootsu-sensei forbade me from real swords- he encouraged them if anything- it’s that I refuse to kill. After seeing the regret on Kishootsu-sensei’s face…how could I handle it if he could barely deal with it? Warrior or not, I’m still a child, and I know that. But…is the weight of a murder greater than the weight of letting a three-year-old get hurt because I couldn’t finish the job? No, it is not. If I let Kimihiro die, it would be like failing Kishootsu-sensei all over again…

“Fine then. In all good conscience, I can’t let all of you do this. Your souls are stained with the blood of innocents. If you wished to confront me, a simple request made from a warrior to a warrior would do. Instead, you chose the coward’s path. And doing such a thing- disgracing your honor, the honor of your fellow warrior, and worse yet, involving those whose honor isn’t at stake in battle- you deserve what you will get.”

In a flash, Ryouko spun and drew on the enemy with the chain. The sound of metal meeting metal echoed in the valley that the once-peaceful village laid in. With ruin around, it seemed all too much like a bad joke.

The chain flew in toward Ryouko. He dodged a half-step to the side, then charged in. A spear buried itself into the ground where he had been just a split-second earlier. Not wanting to pass up such an opportunity, Ryouko swung his sword back, cutting the spear’s handle at a breaking point. The wooden handled shattered, leaving the tip of the spear buried in the fertile land below. Ryouko had also deliberately baited the enemy with the chain. Sure enough, the chain whizzed in, it’s weighted end spinning dangerously. Ryouko used his case to block the chain. The chain wound around the case, nearly ripping it from Ryouko’s hand. Ryouko pulled at the chain, then let go. Just like a child’s game of tug o’ war, the suddenly slack in the chain threw the user off. He recovered quickly.

“Ha! Did you REALLY think your stupid case would come in and hit me! Little idiot!”

Ryouko didn’t say anything. The chain was pulled away from his case. Just as the chain was taut again, it stopped moving. The enemy narrowed his eyes. He had covered himself in black from head to toe. But he was no skilled ninja- the hood over his face obscured his vision just slightly. Still, he could see that Ryouko’s case wasn’t holding the chain back. Then what was?

SCWHING!

Ryouko’s sword smacked the chain-user across the face. It was luck, not aim, that Ryouko took out an eye with the sharp tip of his sword. The other enemies stopped to see what had happened. Finally, one of them noticed.

“He used his sageo*!”

(* Sageo- cord tied around a samurai’s sword. It’s used to tie the case to the belt)

Indeed he had. When Ryouko had tugged ‘childishly’ on the case when the chain had it snared, he had really just untied the sageo wrapped around the top of the case. In essence, he had tied the chain to his belt. When the chain-user had tugged, he had used force to unwind the chain- not to pull a small boy. Though Ryouko was light, the weight difference was substantial.

Ryouko retrieved his case and put it back in his belt. As an afterthought, he used his sword to cut the chain into three small pieces. The owner of the chain was screaming and holding his ruined eye.

“Enough! He’s ONE child! I’ll finish this!”

The spear-wielder ran forward, aiming the end of his broken weapon as though he still had a blade on the end. Ryouko reached behind him and pulled the chain-user in front of him. CRUNCH!

Ribs had been broken, at least. There had been more to Ryouko’s move than a simple human shield.

“Damn it, Ishikawa! Get outta the way!”

So there’s no loyalty in their ranks… Ryouko bounded up the chain-user’s back, using him as a ladder so that he could jump off with a head-height vertical cut. The enemy’s bo flashed up in a block.

“Ha! You can’t cut me with that useless blade!”

Ryouko was going to try anyway. If your blade was sharp, cutting through a simple spear was easy. But for a dull blade, skill was required. When you used a sword, you didn’t just cut randomly. You thought about your move while putting it into action. In this case, it was an automatic response- Ryouko childishly responded to the man’s challenge.

CRACK!

The bo snapped and Ryouko’s sword smashed his enemy on top of the head.

“You’re right. I couldn’t cut your weapon. But I COULD smash it, even with this dull blade. Incidentally, you should fire-harden your bo’s a little less. You took the moisture and flexibility completely out of the wood. That’s why it snapped like a twig.”

The last two enemies, both using swords, stopped for a moment.

“Certainly no ordinary child. He’s studied warfare in a very complete way. Our two long-range weapons are gone. But range can be a disguise for weakness…”

Ryouko hit himself mentally. They weren’t hard to beat, even for me! Those two were just pawns to see my strength! These two must be the skilled ones of the group. Their stances give away nothing. Either they have no stance, or they’ve concealed it. Now it’s two-on-one…my best bet is ‘open on all eight sides’┬…

(┬- A stance perfected by famed swordsman Miyamoto Musashi)

Ryouko pulled his case out of his belt. He held both the case and the sword out at his sides, as if he were just standing normally.

“I see…you face two enemies, so you use two weapons. But you neglect one thing, child. OUR swords are sharp, and require only one had to cut with. YOURS, on the other hand, is but a training blade. To do any damage, you need to use two hands and rely on power. You’ve put yourself at a disadvantage.”

Ryouko’s eyes narrowed further, giving his young face a look of great age and experience. “Do not presume to know both weapon and wielder, enemy-san. You may have watched me, but I’m not so careless as to give away my combat style- if I have one. Perhaps your trained eyes are searching for clues, and your trained mind if making them up because you can’t see any.”

It needs to be noted that Ryouko is not overly strong. His life has been about one thing- his sword. And if one devotes one’s entire life to a solitary subject, one will inevitably become competent. As a boy of ten, Ryouko had studied but for three years. But in that time, he had seen a lot and was forced to grow up fast, amidst the chaos of battle. It was all normal to Ryouko.

The two swordsmen attacked at once. Ryouko kicked his foot up- PWOOF!

“AGH!” shouted one, pawing at his eyes. Ryouko had collected dirt on his sandal, and used it now to blind an enemy. Ryouko rushed by, swinging at the enemy that could still see, forcing him to back up. Dull blade or not, it would hurt! That gave Ryouko the opportunity to smack the left-hand knuckles of the blinded enemy. The right knuckles were blocked by the sword’s guard. But a hit was a hit. One less hand to deal with.

“Fine! I’ll just go after the other boy!”

Pwik.

Ryouko’s eyes turned scary. They held no shape or tell of a child’s eyes. They were the eyes of someone far older.

STAB!

“You will do no such thing to that boy. Your fight is…was…with me.”

Ryouko’s sword had gone straight through the enemy’s body. The enemy fell to his knees, coughing up blood. Ryouko gave a violent twist, then yanked his sword back out. Had the sword been sharp, Ryouko would have killed him instantly. But thanks to his dull blade, no organs were ruptured. Just in time, Ryouko turned to block a head-level vertical cut. He dropped his case and used his free hand to brace the back of the blade. Even so, the adult’s power was too much. He forced Ryouko to the ground by pushing down with his sword.

“Oof!”

“One hand is all I need now! Hold him!”

One of the injured enemy’s came over and held Ryouko’s hands down while lying on the ground nursing injuries himself. The enemy with the sword moved closer and closer, sword poised down. Ryouko’s eyes were now that of a scared child’s.

“That’s it! Squirm, just as his mother did! HAHAHA!”

Ryouko’s foot smacked the enemy squarely in the groin. With a gasp of pain, the sword-user bent over, holding his hurt pride. Ryouko kicked again, this time to the knee. The sound nearly made him sick to his stomach- the knee was not just broken, but destroyed. One last kick destroyed the opponent’s nose. His sword clattered to the ground as he fell from injury, passed out. Ryouko used his feet to pick the blade up. Holding it steady, he called to his captor:

“My own blade wasn’t sharp, but this one is. I don’t need power to kill you with it…”

The enemy let go.

Ryouko walked over to the one he had stabbed. The man wasn’t dead-yet. And Ryouko only knew basic first-aid…

“You. The conscious one. Give me your belt.”

Ryouko took the belt and, after ripping a torn hakama off one of the unconscious, used it to make a makeshift tourniquet. Ryouko stared at the wound, hardly believing he had inflicted it.

“Why would you bandage him? After what he did…”

Ryouko shook the blood off his sword and sheathed it. “Death should not be taken lightly. Life should not be taken at all. It’s not something we can give back…that’s what my sensei said, and that’s what I believe. I didn’t want to kill him, and if I did, I’ll bear that burden. But I couldn’t let him hurt a defenseless three-year-old. I would rather bare the burden of his death, a criminal, on my soul than mourn for a boy who has committed no crime.”

The last conscious enemy sighed. “Listen to me. I hated you, and your sensei. But I can’t say I hate someone who would compromise his own morals for a child. This fight was a matter of war…”

“War? How so? This village is yours…” Ryouko was puzzled.

“No. Not while you and that boy live. You could come back here and claim this land, if you had an army. We didn’t want to take that risk. But in this light…attempting to kill a child…and then attempting to kill you, a warrior…seems horrible. And for the sins I committed against the boy’s mother…I will burn in hell. And I deserve to for all of eternity.”

Ryouko was making his way to Kimihiro, but he stopped once more. “If you’re truly sorry, then at least by me, you’re forgiven. If I might offer an opinion…don’t sell your life so easily. A warrior should die in battle. For you, there’s still a chance to repent. Do what the disgraced of old did: become a monk, pray for your sins, and steady your hand with the weapons of a monastery.”

As Ryouko walked away, the enemy behind him knew he had been utterly defeated. A ten year old of sound mind had seen to that. As he replayed the battle, the enemy noticed Ryouko had done nothing special- it was HOW he did it, and the way he carried himself that made him such a devastating foe.

“To forgive…so this is a warrior’s mercy. A temple might do me good. If that child…no, that warrior, can forgive me, perhaps a larger body can forgive me as well…Kekkou-ji temple is my next destination.”

-

Ryouko picked up Kimihiro, setting him on his shoulders.

“Is there anything you want to take with you, Kimi-kun? I’ll come back for your mommy later…”

Kimihiro thought, but shook his head. “Nu-uh. Nothing. I just want to go someplace safe…Sempai, are the bad men gone?”

Ryouko looked over his shoulder, seeing the enemy he had spoken to helping the others up. They would all live.

“…Yes, they’re gone. Hang on, Kimi-kun, I’m gonna run pretty fast.”

Ryouko did just that, though once poised at the top of the valley, he stopped to look once more. The destruction was evident still, and would remain so until the village was reclaimed.

“Horsey Ride!”

Ryouko looked up in surprise, having forgotten Kimihiro was with him. But he laughed good-naturedly. “Sure, horsey ride.”

--

Lord Hokage watched the scene through his crystal ball, smiling a little. Though his smile became a frown quickly.

For a ten year old to have to play the part of a grown-up…No child should be burdened with that. I knew Ryouko was different, but I never knew that he was capable of this. Acting almost as a parent to that child now- a state of mind that could not be understood even by my strongest jonin in it’s entirety. It makes me wonder- what kind of training did Ryouko have? His sword, his actions, his state of mind, and his words are all befitting that of someone older and much, much wiser…Perhaps I can get him to speak to me. For now…

Lord Hokage looked up to his visitor. “Anything, Kakashi?”

A tired-looking jonin with wild silver hair and a masked face shrugged. “There were a good twelve enemies waiting for him. I just barely got the archer in time. He had Ryouko lined up for a good shot.”

“And Ryouko?”

“Unaware of my presence. I’m not surprised- he’s still very young, and his ears aren’t fully trained. I feel bad I had to kill three of the ones he avoided killing, but they had their short swords out. I had to throw a kunai into one. Just as Ryouko was patching him up, he had his forehead lined up. Thankfully, the fourth enemy- the one Ryouko spoke to- saw me and distracted Ryouko. My assessment- however strong he seems, Ryouko is nothing more than a ten-year-old who has gotten lucky. His sword work is admirable, and his policy not to kill just as much, but he needs a lot of training.”

“As did we all at his age…” Lord Hokage replied, watching Ryouko again. “Anything else?”

“Yes. It’s Ryouko single-minded training that may be the problem. His drills are all very focused on one aspect of combat or the other. There’s no ‘flow’ to them- and as a result, his fighting style has no flow either. What he does, he does very well. But it’s what he doesn’t do that concerns me. Stopping a bully isn’t beyond him, and his youth tricks people into underestimating him. But if someone truly talented were to fight him, and ignore his youth…”

“Yes, I see. Very well. I’ll have to keep a tighter lead on Ryouko for now. Thank you, Kakashi. You’re dismissed.”

Lord Hokage didn’t tell Kakashi that he was certain Kakashi had just made the same mistake all those other enemies had- he was short-changing Ryouko.

Kakashi’s assessment is, no doubt, right on the money. But there are other things about Ryouko he’s missed. Of course, Kakashi hates children, so his opinion WOULD be biased…

--

“Huh? But I wanna stay with you!” Kimihiro complained. Ryouko smiled and ruffled his hair.

“It’s not forever, you know? You’ll be better here, with my parents. You’ll know lots of people here. Everyone from the village comes here.”

“But what about you? Where are you going?”

“…” Three-year-old reasoning could be dog, as Ryouko was learning. “…I’m in training. When you’re old enough, you can train, too. But right now, you need to keep growing. When you can hold a sword with one hand, high above your head, for a full minute without moving, then I’ll come back and teach you. Okay?”

“Okay. But my daddy can help too!”

Ryouko shook his head. “Kimi-kun, your daddy will be gone for a long time.”

“But I saw him today! See?!”

In Kimihiro’s tiny palm was a piece of black fabric with a red mark on it. The mark read ‘Kishootsu’ (temper). Ryouko’s eyes widened, but he couldn’t explain what he saw. He wasn’t going to crush a three-year-old’s hope- especially not when it gave Ryouko himself hope.

“Here. Go straight for one hundred steps. You’ll see the town. Give my Mom and Dad this letter. And most of all…be safe, okay? Learn what you can from everyone.”

Kimihiro nodded, giving Ryouko a hug. Ryouko smiled sadly, patting the boy’s head. After that, Kimihiro ran off.

-

“…I’m not surprised…” Shinobu said with a smile. “He’s definitely got his Father’s stubbornness, that he does.”

“Huh. You just go on believing that,” Hiromaru shot back to his wife. “He’s certainly your son.”

“He is. And I’m proud. Still…I wish he could have come with us…” Shinobu replied with a small frown.

“He has a duty now, whatever it may be. He promised to come back when he’s strong enough to defend us. With him, that will hardly be forever. And at least he didn’t leave us empty-handed.”

“That he didn’t. I have to miss part of my only son’s childhood, but I DO get to help raise another fine young man in his stead. It’s not all bad, I suppose.”

Kimihiro waved goodbye to Ryouko. It was only a faint shadow, but he could still see the older boy, standing sternly against the sun. Happy for now, Kimihiro ran inside to see his new family.

--

Ryouko returned to the Hidden Leaf, his clothes stained and his body aching. A wave of nausea suddenly struck Ryouko. He had thought about when he stabbed that man in the back. He fell to his knees and vomited violently, shaking.

I attacked in cold blood. I…I’ve never lost control like that before! I know I had no choice, but…no, he lived, I have no need to feel guilty. I just need to calm down. Lord Hokage can help…

Lord Hokage was already there, along with a healer.

“Come, Ryouko. You’ve fought hard today. No doubt your wounds, physical as well as mental, need tending. But DO tell me the next time you go off and fight a war!”

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on January 31, 2011, 10:20:37 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusQuite the character. Another great chapter here.

hflp on January 29, 2009, 12:33:13 AM

hflp on
hflpheh. That kid really is something else.

andr28a on January 28, 2009, 8:05:03 PM

andr28a on
andr28aNice