Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - Women?!

My OC's tale takes a new direction. More on Naruto and co's past. Please enjoy and comment.

Chapter 12 - Women?!

Chapter 12 - Women?!
Ryouko sat himself down in a shady spot under a tree, his sword nestled in the crook of his arm. It was just past noon, and business in the village was really picking up for the day. Yesterday’s events were still in Ryouko’s mind, rattling around.

I can’t pretend that I wasn’t scared. For the first time, my techniques nearly failed me. Was I just caught off-guard, or is it because my strength isn’t enough anymore? War is not a children’s game, and should not be treated as such. But on the other hand, to get stronger, I need to find a new sensei. Is that an insult to Kishootsu-sensei’s memory?
No. He’d want me to grow and get stronger. But Shinobi techniques? Those who he hated above all? But he didn’t know them as I do…


Ryouko was an independent eleven year old who didn’t interact with others often. He had no one to bounce this idea off of. No one his own age, and though he was more comfortable with adults, he didn’t know any well enough to ask, besides the Hokage.

An invitation was already extended to me, to train whenever I was ready. If I have such doubts, I must not be ready. I’m going to rely on my own strength a little longer.

“Hey now, is that any way to use your youthful energy?!”

Ryouko glanced up, seeing a green-clad ninja who seemed to be jumping for joy. It took him a minute to notice it was only a pose. Still, it was a strange greeting. Ryouko hadn’t yet begun to understand that shinobi were people, too. They had their own pleasures, their own likes and dislikes. To Ryouko, they were a new ally that he didn’t fully understand.

“Youthful energy?” Ryouko asked, tilting his head in question.

“That’s right! Spending the day brooding is no way to live! You should live each day to the fullest! Oh, where are my manners! Might Gai here, and you are…”

Damn, I still don’t know my name… “Ryouko.”

“Ryouko, eh? As in the samurai, of course! Let me tell you, you’ve got to be more vigilant. Some haven’t heard there isn’t a price on your head anymore. Watch yourself. And if you get in a jam, remember my name!”

And Gai was off, not even waiting for Ryouko to respond. While he was certain it was good advice, Ryouko wasn’t the type to be overflowing with this ‘youthful energy’ stuff. It just wasn’t his style.

So what was I thinking about? Oh yeah… In four years, I’ll be a man*. But Kishootsu-sensei left out so much. How do I embrace this? I know a sword and a name are bestowed, but in a shinobi village I don’t expect that. I’d settle for remembering the name I have now.

(*- Samurai came of age at 15)

Pulling himself up, Ryouko decided to take a walk along the river. The cherry blossoms weren’t blooming yet, so the stroll wouldn’t be completely beautiful, but close enough. Ryouko was eleven- he couldn’t yet appreciate beauty, a fact he was aptly aware of.

As he walked along, Ryouko saw a lot of female ninja. There was one girl with short, black hair and giant white eyes that caught his attention. Something about that girl made Ryouko think back.

-
“I suppose you’re too young to consider female beauty. But someday, you’ll understand why the charms of a female can be both the greatest blessing and the greatest curse to a man.”

Ryouko heard Kishootsu-sensei, but hoping to understand females wasn’t going to happen. It’s not that Ryouko was insensitive, it was that he knew war. And in war, females were sometimes impractical.

More concerned with their clothing and hair than weapons and battle. Shinano’s daughter, for example. She thinks only of boys and never about her training! And she cries so often! How do females survive war?!

Kishootsu laughed good-naturedly at the thoughtful look on Ryouko’s face. “You have doubts. It’s natural for one so young. But when you meet the right female, even your stoicism and doubts will melt as the snow in spring. You’ll find that one girl that you will trust above all else.”

“I will never love an impractical girl!” Ryouko declared, certain of his words. “If I must love a girl, she will be strong and brave!”

Kishootsu nodded in agreement. “For you, that is best. It’s your nature to think that way. Listen to me, Ryouko- Your life will be about battles. Even outside of war, do not think for a moment that the bloodshed will just stop. Once the war is won or lost, there will continue to be violence. Your sword must be a champion of your beliefs. Just what is justice to you?”

Ryouko answered instantly. “Our village free and peaceful.”

Kishootsu shook his head. “No, that’s the village’s justice. Your personal feeling of justice will change and grow, as will you. Can you understand why I asked you such a perplexing question?”

“No.”

“It’s because I need you to think clearly. Someday, you will surpass me. Your potential is great. And someday, no doubt, your life will settle into something like mine. A wife, a child or two, and your sword. That, and your beliefs. My point is this- do not dismiss the female as ‘useless’ or ‘impractical’. As you and I think differently, so will you and a girl. But there may be one. A ‘light’ to your ‘dark’. You’re a brooding child. A female was my ray of light. Do you believe my wife to be impractical?”

Ryouko hesitated- he DID think so. But saying so might be offensive. Thankfully, Kishootsu answered for him.

“Of course you do! No one expects you to grow up so fast mentally as war has forced you to physically. But consider this- she saved my life. She took up a spear and fought an enemy that was physically stronger than her. But her thinking as a female- they are natural strategists. They will think twice before parting with anything, and then think again if it’s a life. And, of course, the bravery required to deliver a child…”

“But they get fat when they are pregnant! It doesn’t look difficult, having men cater to their every whim as they carry a child in their belly!”

Kishootsu couldn’t help but roar with laughter at the ridiculously youthfully ignorant notion Ryouko had just spouted.
“I have never experienced labor, but my wife, who didn’t shed a tear when she was cut from neck to navel with a sword… Suffice it to say that this pain was worth several sword wounds…”

-

Later the same day, Ryouko saw a young girl, crying on the ground. Ryouko’s nature took over.

“Is everything alright?” he asked. The girl shook her head vigorously.

“My kimono is dirty!”

Ryouko kept walking, unable to help with that problem.
To think that I may one day love one of these impractical things! I understand that males and females mate, but how they’re attracted to each other… It must be only a desperate man who falls in love!

--

I think differently now. I haven’t grown so much, but I at least understand why humans breed. It felt…pleasant, having a female’s attention.

At that moment, the girl Ryouko had seen before came skidding to his feet. Blood dribbled out of her mouth as she tried to get up. Ryouko immediately helped her, wondering what had just happened. He didn’t have to wonder for long. The cause of the problem was standing right next to them in an open yard.

It was a boy about Hinata’s age. He had long, brown hair and the same piercing white eyes she did. But unlike the girl, he held no trace of gentleness. Ryouko could even feel it- battle energy. From every pore of his body, this boy hated this girl.

“Enough! Someone has interfered! Neji, back off. Hinata, you lazy girl! Get up!”

What seemed like an older version of Neji was barking out orders in a voice that was clearly used to being obeyed. Ryouko didn’t have any reason to obey it, so he continued helping the girt to her feet. A well-placed rock smacked him painfully in the hand. Ryouko let go, but managed to catch Hinata with the other hand.

“The match is yours. Don’t harm the girl further.” Ryouko decided that if that big guy could speak in such an imperial tone, he could, too.

“You have no jurisdiction here. If it is her fate to die, then she will die. It’s not my concern.” This time, the boy was speaking. He had an irritating, know-it-all voice. “Unless you’d rather be my training partner for today, and try to spare her life?”

Ryouko picked Hinata up in a fireman’s carry and walked toward the man. He put Hinata gently at his feet.
“You seem to be in charge here. If you have no objections, then I will involve myself.”

Hinata’s father shrugged. “If you have a death wish. Neji won’t hold back on you.”

“Nor I on him. I’m curious to see what skills belong to that overbearing overconfidence,” Ryouko shot back, sending the message that he wouldn’t allow himself to be bullied. It seemed that the man in the white robe approved of that attitude, for he picked Hinata up and handed her off to a woman, presumably a wife or servant.

Neji sized up his opponent. “You’re small for your age. Are the wanted posters correct? Are you really eleven?”

Ryouko nodded. “I am. Although, it’s customary to give only names before a duel, not share life history. Be sure to offer me the same kindness you offered that girl.”

The last bit of sarcasm rang in Neji’s ears.

“She’s my cousin, Hinata. At least address a member of the Hyuuga clan properly!”

“That tells me who she is, but not who YOU are.”

“I am Neji Hyuuga. And your fate was sealed the moment you chose to oppose me.”

“I see…” Ryouko tucked his sword into his belt, stepping off the wooden porch and onto the grass. “Then it’s Hinata-dono and Neji-chan, right?”

Neji growled angrily. “-chan? I’m a boy, and I’m too old to be called –chan!”

“I apologize. From here, I couldn’t tell your gender.”

Ryouko didn’t resort to verbal barbs often, but found they could have a good effect when used properly. The ‘art of the insult’ was one he had learned by himself. Kishootsu-sensei had a naturally imposing presence and had no need to fling mud. Ryouko was small and wiry, so he took any advantage he could get.

“Are you nuts?!”

CRASH!

Ryouko had been tackled by a familiar figure.

“Sasuke?”

Sasuke got off Ryouko, glaring at Sasuke. “Listen, I know how he is. But don’t get roped in by him! He’s one of the Leaf’s elite clans, just below the Uchiha! You can’t win against him!”

Ryouko got to his feet and brushed himself off. “Well, I’ve promised a duel already, I have. I’ll just have to take my chances.”

Sasuke ‘tsked’ his disapproval, but knew that there was no going back. “Fine. Listen, Neji- if you kill him, you’re gonna answer to me!”

Neji laughed off the threat. “You don’t scare me anymore than he does! Stay out of this, Sasuke. He butted in on my duel with Hinata, and he’s going to pay for it! I shouldn’t need to kill him- he’ll run away with his tail between his legs long before that! BYAKUGAN!”

“?! Byakugan? Or did he say bakugan? He’s gonna bomb me?” Ryouko wasn’t sure he had heard that right.

“Byakugan,” Sasuke informed him. “It’s a doujutsu, or optical technique. He has enhanced vision, nearly all the way around his body! I’ve heard that the Hyuga clan can use the Byakugan to do incredible things, but I’ve never seen it…”

“OOF!”

Ryouko was belted in the stomach, blood spurting from his mouth, as Neji seemed to slap him across the stomach. But no slap ever hurt that much…

“I haven’t mastered our clan’s attacks yet, but against you, this is enough!”

Ryouko drew his sword, but missed terribly. Neji was already across the yard.

“Too slow! Hahhh!”

It was all Ryouko could do to block the barrage of attacks that Neji threw at him. Block and dodge, dodge and block.

He’s fast!

There was no opening for attack at all. Ryouko did his best to create one by knocking Neji’s hand away then stepping to the inside, but Neji’s other hand would instantly smack him again. Each time he got hit, Ryouko felt something inside his body go ‘pop’. He was slowing down, too.

“Damn it! He’s closing your tenkentsu!” Sasuke shouted.

“My what?!” Ryouko shouted back, taking another useless swipe an Neji.

“Your chakra! Don’t you know that?!”

“No! I don’t use chakra in my attacks!” Ryouko replied, managing to push Neji back a little.

“Yes, you do! Even if you don’t know it! Chakra is life energy! He’s sealing off your very existence!”

Damn it! How do I stop him?! Ryouko’s frustrated mind kicked him back to another time.

-

On the battlefield, a wound in his leg, Ryouko couldn’t go anywhere. It was his last stand, it seemed. The enemy was stronger than him. There was no chance for victory. Or was there?

The enemy was so confident- too confident. His attacks slowed down as he savored each one. The sound of Ryouko’s cracking ribs was music to his ears. The sight of Ryouko’s bloody and bruised body made him laugh with glee. This was the most malicious man Ryouko had faced yet. As he lay bloodied and beaten on the ground, the enemy walked (or rather, strutted) over. He bent down and picked Ryouko up, staring into his hazy eyes.

“Know why you lost, kid? You just aren’t good enough!”

Ryouko’s eyes narrowed. He stabbed his sword into his opponent’s groin and twisted violently.

“Know why you lost?” Ryouko snarled, stepping on the body part he had just cut off, crushing both hope and pride with one sandal. “You’re just too cocky.”

-

Ryouko kept up the most superficial guard he could. Inside him, a smile was bubbling up through the stoic frown.

Thank you for the idea. I can’t repeat that stunt, but I can apply the same principles…

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on February 4, 2011, 3:31:52 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusYou shouldn't piss off Neji, Ryo-kun. That spells nothing but trouble. You should continue this!!!!!

hflp on March 24, 2009, 12:23:10 PM

hflp on
hflp-_-... That kid has a strange way of thinking.