Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 47 - ArcVII: Still Human- Chapter 2

My OC is forced to play servant to Naruto and Sakura. He must ignore his own dreams to see that Sakura and Naruto live happily ever after- either as a couple, or as the two strongest shinobi ever.

Chapter 47 - ArcVII: Still Human- Chapter 2

Chapter 47 - ArcVII: Still Human- Chapter 2
Everyone ran outside, finding a rainstorm hitting them. For a moment, they all believed that it was just the thunder that had made the enormous bang they had heard. That is, they believed it until Asuma herded them all inside the Fire Daimyo’s chamber. All except Ryouko. They could see him, outside, standing peacefully in the rain. It beat down hard on him, plastering his hair to his head. But he stood, staring straight ahead, no real urgency in his body language.

“What the hell?”

Sakura voiced what the other were thinking. They looked to Asuma, who just shook his head and lit up a smoke.
“He’s an oddball sometimes, but he’s got the right idea. I was never great at barrier ninjutsu myself. Shikamaru, get the priestesses and Shoki in here. It’ll be easier to protect everyone if they’re all in one place. Shinmaru, I’ve got the front. Just like old times.”

Shinmaru grinned, standing at the rear door of the Daimyo’s receiving chamber. Beyond that door lay the single most influential person of the Land of Fire.
“Just like old times!”
--

Ryouko knew full well it must look insane to the others. That didn’t concern him at the moment. Even the water evaporation when it hit his still-warm burns barely distracted him, disconcerting as it was. Still, he had promised himself he would do as much as he can, despite the pain.

You never really got used to someone tying a square knot inside your body. It felt unnatural, and you definitely felt the strain. It wasn’t so much an awful pain as it was a bothersome, disturbing pain. Even if Ryouko WANTED to, right now, he couldn’t save the day.

If I’m going to be separated from Naruto and Ojousama, then I have to let them learn. Kakashi-sensei is right. They are not ducklings. I am not a mother duck. I am a friend who will not let them die. But they have to fight their own battles. My barrier won’t detain anyone of Akatsuki level for much longer. And with Azami away…

Trying to shrug it off, Ryouko nodded his head, almost imperceptibly. Four clones landed, kneeling around him, facing inward. Ryouko systematically raised his arm up and sliced himself open on the back of the wrist with a kunai. The blood dropped onto the ground. The four clones took the drops, made a mark with it on their palms, and clasped their hands together in half-tiger hand signs, as though activating a hidden paper bomb. As they did, a thin fire barrier sprang up. Ryouko stepped out of the center of the circle. The four clones didn’t acknowledge him at all.

Once he re-joined the others, Ryouko let himself wobble a bit.
“Sorry. I’m still weak from the procedure. I can maintain this barrier for a while, and then use a blanket genjutsu. But that’s about it…”

Pleased, Ryouko noted the looks of alarm on Sakura and Naruto’s faces. It worried him a little when they both seemed to be less than ready to fight. As if they had given up.
I knew it. I’ve coddled them by mistake. They’re not willing to-

Rising to the occasion, as he always did, Naruto declared loudly:
“Guess it’s up to us then, Sakura. We’ve gotta show Grandpa Ryouko here that we’re in top condition!”

Sakura tugged her gloves tight, raising one in a fist in front of her. “You got it! Don’t worry, Ryouko-ojichan. We’ve got this!”

Ryouko couldn’t help but be amused. Not that he enjoyed being called ‘Grandpa’, no matter what honor was attached to the title. He’d have to dissuade that behavior in short order.
--

It had taken her less than an hour. All Azami had to do was declare a million-dollar ryo on her head. Inari ran around to warn the innocents not to get greedy. But no one told the villains. Eventually, one after another, they all wound up in a heap at Azami’s feet, bound with chakra-reinforced ropes.

The entire Land of Waves applauded. Azami allowed herself an outward smile, but inside she was wondering how many good deeds like this she would have to do before she could forgive herself for her crimes in the past. Surely this one was a big plus for her?
Finding what she came for would be a bigger one.

Inari marveled at the pile of villains, wondering (not for the first time) if he should go to the Leaf village to learn ninjutsu. But he couldn’t just up and leave this place. Not since he was the head of the civilian defense force.
He remembered what he was doing here, and shook himself away from his dream-like state. He knew three things that were relevant:
1- he was in LOVE with the girl before him
2- he had found what she was after
3- the girl was a complete knockout!

“I’ve found what you’re looking for,” he finally managed to spit out. “But it might be difficult to get, short of stealing it…”

Azami cocked an eyebrow, very close to saying ‘no problem’. But she had to force that away. She wasn’t that person anymore. Instead, she answered more correctly:
“Where is it, and is there anything I can do to get it? I’d like to do it legally, but a very good friend of mine’s life hangs in the balance. If I have to break some rules to save her, I will. Even if I have to come back here to face the music.”

Inari gulped, suddenly more scared than in love. But he stood fast, as he had against all the threats that had plagued this land.
“If that’s the case, then I think we can get it. My Grandpa is the one who built the bridge that made our thriving lives possible. He holds some sway with just about everyone. Even the head of the museum where the spear is.”

Azami ran a hand through her hair, smiling into a nice, oncoming breeze. She was relaxing for the first time in what seemed like years. The waves crashing against the bridge made a pleasant sound, coupled with the tone of passerby’s going about their business. Not for the first time, Azami thought about rooting here. Setting up a home. But she was never able to act on that notion anywhere else. But maybe this time…

“Inari…what if I stayed here for a while, and protected the Land of Waves? If I did that, would you do me a favor?”
--

It was settled. Azami would stay here, in the Land of Waves. Inari would bring the Spear of Izanagi to Asuna. It would take him a month to return. The journey to the Fire Daimyo’s temple would be short, as Azami could send him there with her unique shadow jutsu. But he would have to make his way back on his own.

The spear, underneath it’s carrying cloth, was magnificent. It had a long, golden handle, encrusted with jewels, and had cloth inlaid with silver at the end for a grip. The metal was polished to a mirror’s brilliance, and was sharp to the slightest touch. Inari was overwhelmed by the weapon, but agreed to Azami’s proposition. He owed Naruto a lot. If helping a friend of his would help him, too, then it was worth while.

“One last thing…” Azami told Inari. “There’s one boy there called ‘Ryouko’. Would you please tell him what I’ve decided to do? And that I wish he was here?”

Inari’s face dropped. “Is he your…boyfriend? Husband?”

Azami had to swallow the huge laugh that almost caught in her throat. “Oh, no! Nothing like that! He wishes! But…he and I are close in another way. I know it would mean a lot to him to know I’m safe here.”

“I understand. Please take care of my home for me!”

--

The strain on Ryouko’s body was becoming unbearable. But he had to hold on a little longer. At least until they identified their enemy. If it was Pain…
Then the barrier would only fall when Ryouko was dead. One clash with that monster had told Ryouko that he could not win. Not ever. Not alone. But he could buy the others time to get away. For now, the barrier stayed.

Naruto and Sakura were ready to go on near the edge of it, staring intently ahead. Sakura looked out across the grounds, a look of determination on her face. She didn’t realize she was giving Naruto strength by being strong herself.

“Hey. You ready?”

Sakura gave a firm nod at Naruto’s question. Not good enough. He frowned, then made his move. In a world and time when a display of affection was rare, Naruto kissed Sakura. She was completely surprised, but returned the affection quickly enough, despite blushing because so many people were right there. Naruto was holding her tight, and she returning it despite her surprise.

The barrier flickered for a split second.

Ryouko was sweating with the effort. But those who knew him also knew that the emotional strain was becoming worse.

A hand was on Ryouko’s shoulder. Asuma knelt down next to him.
“Let it go. The barrier. And your emotions. She’s beyond you now. You know that. You made it that way. So stop torturing yourself.”

The barrier dissolved, and Ryouko’s head fell to his chest. Then he jerked away from Asuma’s grip. He stood up, his head still down. But small burns began to rise on his skin again. He had flashed back to his defeat at the hands of Jiraiya. Then at Naruto’s hands. If Naruto was allowed an emotional release…why not he, too?

Ignoring his clones, Ryouko ran forward. The barrier sprung up behind him. Through the fire, everyone could see him. Naruto and Sakura stopped their moment of passion. Asuma ran to the barrier.

“Shikamaru, get him back!”

Shikamaru shook his head, indicating that it was impossible. “His barrier…”

“Destroy those clones!”

The four clones stood up, kunai in their hands, opposing the shinobi. Though clones, they still held some of Ryouko’s power. The one clone touched his hand to his head, nodding.
“My original…he says stay out of it. You all have people to take care of now.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on December 26, 2010, 11:51:32 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusThis is getting intense. I can't wait for the next chapter!

andr28a on December 15, 2010, 2:00:12 AM

andr28a on
andr28aWhat's going to happen next? I can't wait.