Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 50 - Arc VII: Still Human- Chapter 4

My OC is forced to play servant to Naruto and Sakura. He must ignore his own dreams to see that Sakura and Naruto live happily ever after- either as a couple, or as the two strongest shinobi ever.

Chapter 50 - Arc VII: Still Human- Chapter 4

Chapter 50 - Arc VII: Still Human- Chapter 4
Inari fell upward (an interesting sensation that really had no description) out of the shadow. He was greeted by quite the vision. The second he materialized, he found a pair of trench knives at his neck, owned by a scary bearded individual. And the bearded person wasn’t alone.
“Azami?…no, it’s not her. Who are you?”

“Azami sent me!” Inari half-shouted. He saw one of them perk up. That one was a young man, a tattoo on his face, up over his right eye. His sudden interest made Inari wonder if this was the boy Azami had meant. The one called ‘Ryouko’.
-

After Inari’s story was explained, everyone went off in their own directions. Naruto and Sakura headed outside to have some time together. Shikamaru and Asuma sat down to play Shogi. Shinmaru took up his spot by the Fire Daimyo’s side, unmoving. Ryouko stalked off silently to his lodgings, apparently in a daze.

That left Shoki, Jiraiya, Uzume, and Asuna with Inari. Uzume stared silently at it- the Spear of Izanagi.

“This isn’t something I predicted,” she said in a hushed tone. “This weapon is said to be holy when used by the correct person.”

“The correct person is you, Lady Uzume,” Asuna told her crisply, managing to keep the fear out of her voice. “None of us will allow you die this death you envision quietly, and certainly not alone. We’ll avoid it, however possible.”

Uzume put the spear on the table. She bowed to Inari. “Thank you for your trouble.”

But she left the spear where it was. Asuna stood up to go after her, but Uzume stopped. Without turning around, she spoke as harshly as Asuna had ever heard her.
“You are not to interfere on my death. If it is hitsuzen; unavoidable, that is to say, then it will come to pass.”
--

Inari was just wandering around, trying to figure out what to do now. He could head right home, but it seemed a waste. His job was being taken care of by a beautiful, deadly female. He wouldn’t even be missed. And he’d never left the Land of Waves, so traveling was new to him. Maybe he should take the time to travel for a while; relax, learn about the world. He had spent years in the pseudo-military his home employed; could it hurt to take a break?
As he walked, Inari inadvertently stumbled into a surprising situation. Separated from him by a wall of thick wood were two voices talking in low tones. One voice was clearly angry; the other more sage-like.
Finding a small crack, Inari put his eye to it, closing the other to get a better picture. To his surprise, he saw the big white-haired guy and Ryouko, whom he only knew by name, having not yet met him formally.
Apparently, Ryouko was the angry one in this case. He wondered if that was a constant thing…
--

“You’ve got a lot of nerve, wanting to talk to me like this, Master Jiraiya! It’s taken a lot of effort to restrain myself from hitting you before. With the added stress now, be thankful I haven’t attacked yet.”

“I know you’re mad…”

“Oh, do you?! Was your first clue the venom in my voice? Look, those two are your problem now. You said it yourself.”

“What I meant was-”

“Your point was perfectly clear, regardless of whatever else you might think. You proved you were right. Now let the matter drop!”

“Dammit, will you listen to me?”

“Why should I? You might be a legend; you might be great; but you shattered my old life. Now that I see the girl I was in love with being with another man…I’m the odd man out. Just like I wanted to avoid.”

Silence. Then:
“I’m leaving. Do NOT approach me again, Master Jiraiya.”

“Kid…” the voice trailed off, sadness all over it.

“…You’re forgiven. Just don’t bother me anymore. Those kids are YOUR responsibility now. The Third’s prophecy has been broken. I’m free of my duty to them. It’s become too painful to bear. But I don’t expect understanding or sympathy. Pity me for believing in that prophecy. As every fool learns eventually…Hardship is the truth of the real world. Suffering is given to us; it is our harshest mentor. Happiness is living through all that. And what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.”
-

The sound of footsteps caused Inari to jump involuntarily. He wasn’t sure what it was he had just witnessed, but it didn’t make him happy. He felt that there was a bad history here, and that Ryouko was on the losing end of it. Inari, most of all, knew when someone was putting on a brave face despite feeling beyond redemption.

Ryouko was almost the most clear example he had ever seen of that.
--

Naruto and Sakura actually steered clear of Ryouko as he walked around the hallways on the outside of the temple. They had never felt a fear of him; but now it was clear he was feeling something that they couldn’t understand. Could all this have stemmed from him simply loving Sakura but never having a chance with her? They agreed- no. Ryouko wasn’t that shallow. There was more to this. They needed to give him space.

He marched right past their room, his bare feet thudding past with unusually heavy footsteps. It was a small thing to most; but to someone who practiced his art constantly…a shinobi taking elephant-sounding steps was wrong. The two huddled in a doorway as Ryouko stomped past, his eyes fixated on some intangible point in the distance

“Hey…I meant it.”

There was no need for Naruto to elaborate. They both knew he was talking about his radical confession on the battle field. Sakura didn’t say anything, but squeezed his hand in reply. A small content sigh in which a light breath caressed Naruto’s neck gave him the answer he wanted.

“I feel the same. Naruto, I really…”

“So…”

“Not in a temple. And not yet. Perv. You’re just like your master.”
--

For the first time since he had known her, Ryouko found Uzume looking angry. She was glaring at one of the most beautiful weapons he had ever seen. But he didn’t know what it was. Apparently, Uzume knew that, so she said aloud:
“The Spear of Izanagi. Used by the right person, a holy weapon.”

Her desire to discontinue the obvious questions Ryouko had hit him, and he didn’t press further. Instead, he asked her:
“Why didn’t my special technique work?”

Uzume nearly spat the answer. “Because you didn’t want it to work.”
She drew in a breath and inclined her head in apology.
“I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be so…never mind. You know what I mean.”

“I do. At least for the apology. Which is unnecessary, by the way. But I didn’t want it to work…I’m not sure I follow…”

“It’s just as it sounds. You didn’t wish to use that attack. You didn’t want to fight. You’re tired of it. Tired of your comrades. Tired of yourself. Tired of failures. And even tired of successes. And you’re worried.”

“Worried about what?”

“Being alone your whole life. But even more, you’re worried about your strength. Namely, that you’ve reached the pinnacle of your strength, and it’s not enough.”

“Have I? Peaked, I mean.”

“No. There is no such thing. You can be the strongest, and still have something to learn.”

That made Ryouko feel better. Now it was his turn to be comforting. He knelt before Lady Uzume and took her hand. Blushing, he raised it to his lips. He spoke in his most formal voice.
“If I may, Lady Uzume, allow me to do something for you. Anything within my power. The prophecy has been destroyed as of now. Anything I do is of my own volition. Were I to give you my life, it wouldn’t be enough to repay all you’ve done for me. But at least allow me to settle a portion of my insurmountable debt to you.”

Even Uzume wasn’t used to this. She sank down to her knees and embraced Ryouko. Whispering to him she said:
“Were you to find happiness, that would prove that those of us who bow to destiny can become something more. And that would please me more than anything. To know that destiny is not all powerful, but is as flawed as we humans.”

After an awkward moment, Ryouko scooted backward on his knees, a half-grin on his face. He thought it was the fatigue that made him tired enough to smile.
“I was hoping something tangible would suffice, Lady Uzume. But…”

“You’ve got a request?” Uzume finished for him, smiling her knowing smile again.

“Yes. My name…from now on, would you call me ‘Yuji’ instead? ‘Ryouko,’” his eyes dropped. “…He perished on the battlefield today.”

“I can grant you that,” Uzume replied. “What will you do now, Yuji?”

“I’ll master myself,” he answered instantly. “I haven’t freed my inner-self yet.”

“Strength comes from unity. Perhaps trying to ‘free’ your counterpart isn’t the answer…It might be the very opposite. It might even mean your death.”

Yuji had never heard her say that before. He shifted uncomfortably. Mortality was always in the back of his mind. Shinobi were born to die. But knowing about it in advance wasn’t the greatest feeling in the world.
“Does that mean you’ve seen…” he asked, his voice trailing off.

“No,” Uzume said firmly. “But, well, your health…Yuji, I don’t want to say something like this, but if you don’t get control again…”
--

Concealing his inner-turmoil, Yuji approached Sakura and Naruto. He didn’t bother trying to put on a brave face for them. He didn’t have the energy or even the desire. They could- and would- draw strength from each other. He owed them only one more thing, and that was the truth of the situation, straight from his mouth.

Sitting down without waiting for an invitation, Yuji stared into the small fire in the center of them for a moment. The other group was huddled around a larger fire outside.

“I owe you both an apology for my abhorrent behavior.”

Without waiting for either of them to accept or reject the apology, Yuji drew in a breath and continued.
“As of now, the prophecy has dissolved. My end has, at any rate. I’m no longer a servant. That was ended when Master Jiraiya became involved in my self-imposed exile.”

“Hey, that’s great! You can come home with us again, and things will be like they used to be!” Naruto was ready to party, and Sakura shed her doubt and looked hopeful. She had such a cute look to her when she was melancholy. But ‘hopeful’ was pretty darned attractive, too.

“Even if it were my wish, it’s not possible,” Yuji said bluntly, pulling no punches.

“Why not?!”

“I’ve spent a long time being a servant with no will of his own. And knowing what I do now…it’s only fair I tell you…

I’m dying.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on January 13, 2011, 1:56:17 AM

andr28a on
andr28aYuji? Dying? Well he comes close to it 90% of the time. But still... Dying?

YunieXTidus on January 12, 2011, 11:21:40 AM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusSay WHAT?

And Yuji's despair is tangible! It actually brought tears to my eyes.