Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 52 - Arc VIII: Death of the Flesh- Chapter 2

My OC is forced to play servant to Naruto and Sakura. He must ignore his own dreams to see that Sakura and Naruto live happily ever after- either as a couple, or as the two strongest shinobi ever.

Chapter 52 - Arc VIII: Death of the Flesh- Chapter 2

Chapter 52 - Arc VIII: Death of the Flesh- Chapter 2
It was late now. The sun had long set. Most everyone had stayed out late tonight, though. Some with worry; some who had something to celebrate; some to solve problems.

Naruto and Sakura fell into the first two categories. While deeply concerned about Yuji, there was noting they could do. Except maybe celebrate their newfound relationship. It was something Yuji had sacrificed a lot- possibly even his life- for. The least they could do was celebrate a little. In all fairness, they were teenagers experiencing requited puppy love for the first time. No one would blame them for letting their natural instincts and hormones take over for a little while. Especially for shinobi, peace was in short supply. Love even more so. Both trained so incredibly hard most of the time that it was excusable to go ahead and act their true age for a little while.

“The moon…it’s so beautiful.”
Sakura broke the silence with a pretty standard observation. It was really a verbal volley that she hoped Naruto knew enough to return. Normally you couldn’t shut him up, but when it came to romantic moments he was as clueless as any 16 year old boy.

Smalltalk. Naruto knew enough to agree.
“Yeah…”
The moon was pretty amazing. Tonight, it was full, and extra high in the sky. That night was amazingly clear, giving a great view of the stars. It was the kind of night where you wondered how anything could possibly be wrong anywhere in the world. Couldn’t everyone see these stars and just be content?
Then again, seeing this view with a special someone really did add something to the moment.

Naruto leaned in closer, his hand on her cheek. Sakura closed her eyes and met him halfway, an arm draped across his shoulder.
When did he get so tall? And his shoulders so broad? (sigh) It’s what I dreamed, but not WHO I dreamed. But maybe that’s…a good thing. It would be fun to have all the answers all of the time.

It was a special moment for the two young lovers. Even if only for short time, they could forget about all their other obligations and focus only on themselves. As shinobi, they were constantly focusing on their work and not nearly enough on each other. It was a rare sight to see any shin obi in a stable relationship. Some didn’t dare for fear that they would die and leave someone behind -a very understandable sentiment. Some were engrossed by their work; some had just been the shadows too long to remember what life is like outside of them. Some were surprisingly shy. Others simply had the worst luck when it came to finding love up.

For some reason, Naruto and Sakura had found each other. They both felt a little bit thankful toward Ryo- er, Yuji, for his help. But both stopped thinking that quickly- they couldn’t dwell on Yuji right now. It was obvious pity wasn’t what he wanted. It was solitude, and time to understand. And, quite possibly, to die a quiet death. It distressed them that there was nothing they could do for him. For some reason, being in love seemed to be the ideal solution. It was as if Yuji was the definition of how fleeting life was. Life was meant to be lived, not mourned.

Sakura pulled Naruto into a quick, passionate kiss. It surprised her nearly as much as it did him. He was more used to getting punched by her than being kissed. This was a welcome change.

As they embraced, a black-clad warrior snuck by, making not even the tiniest sound. His chakra was perfectly concealed as well. A professional assassin.
Around his neck was an odd symbol. A triangle enveloping a circle.
--

The black lines crisscrossing Yuji’s body had begun to thicken. The spaces between the lines filled in until his body looked as though it was covered in the ink that one would write with. Yuji’s breathing was getting labored. The only reasoning he could come up with was that the burns and subsequently the tattoo had preyed on some of his inner systems as well. The strange process that he had begun by reaching out to his “ other” self had stopped and started at least four times by now. The pain didn’t stop after the first time -it was as agonizing the fifth time as it was the first time. But still, Yuji felt certain that this was both necessary and correct.

Maybe I’m trying to forget everything. Sakura… Naruto… Azami… Shoki… Asuna-chan … Lady Uzume. My enemies are too numerous to list. Maybe the only reason I’m tolerating this pain is because it’s real to me. I’m dying, and that doesn’t feel real. But pain is second nature. So maybe it’s comforting? But that doesn’t explain why it feels like it’s necessary.
What have I got to lose by seeing this through to the end? My life is forfeit if I don’t. So I may as well…


Yuji could feel the power coursing through him again. He had learned by the third time through this that if he discharged chakra the pain was more manageable. So he activated a Chakra Scalpel in both hands and dug into the ground.
The holes around him were all at least 10 feet deep. As the pain increased, so did his digging speed.

I will at least try. That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger. So I’ll have a hell of a lot of strength after this! His face was contorted into a mask of pain and concentration as tore into the earth. It was such a pointless act, but it was the only bit of solace Yuji could allow himself. So he dealt with the pain, and kept working toward the most favorable conclusion he could figure out.

But the process stopped again, and the tattoos continued to snake around his body. Yuji could feel his throat tighten slightly. But he wasn’t scared anymore. He was dying, one way or the other. All he could do was try. It was almost a release in and of itself.
--

After three more tries, only Yuji’s pinky was left unblackened by the growing tattoo. Breathing hurt- a lot. So did moving. He had time for maybe one more try before his life would end.

Reaching inside his subconscious again, Yuji could see his bound self. This time, there was no barrier between them. He could reach out and grab his other self. When he did, he ‘sunk in’ to his other self, effectively finding himself in chains. Once there, he pulled at the chains. This time, they seemed much more loose. He managed to free one arm and leg. Now he could feel the pull of his real self, trying instinctively to get him away from the part of his subconscious that was never supposed to be touched. This time, Yuji could ignore his instincts long enough to free himself.

He felt that freedom for a full four seconds before the pain set in. But it was different. The pain started sharp, but had begun to recede. He was in control of it, though he felt the pull that would force him to relinquish control.
But it didn’t matter. This time, he had done it. He had freed himself, even if only for a few moments.

It’s important to understand that Yuji never really ‘freed’ himself. To him, creating this setting was a focus drill that allowed him to see tangible results to a problem with no tangible solution. It made the victory feel more real. But the same rang true for defeat.

Now that he was free, he felt as though he had a good measure of control. It wouldn’t last forever; he knew that from experience; but it was a good start. Now he had to combat the rest of the problem without being allowed to hide it behind a mental wall. Now the problem was ‘real’. And just maybe it had a ‘real’ solution.

Is this whole “Heaven’s Temper” thing part of all this?
--

Bidding the others goodnight, Uzume retired to her room. She found Shoki waiting for her. The boy looked undisturbed, but there was clearly something different about him.

“You wanted to know if anything in my development changed…”

It was plain to see. His hair, once black, was now turning a silver color. It had begun at his temples, and was now almost completely over his head. It wasn’t so much an aging process as it was…well, mysterious. It seemed as if the change in his hair color was coming from his eyes, connected by two silver wisps that came from the sides of his eyes.

“When did this happen?” She asked, putting her fingers at his temples, then running a hand through the hair on the crown of his head. The roots of his hair were even more of a defined silver color.

“It began after I looked at that boy with the Sharingan. When our eyes met.”

Did that awaken some of his ability? Or…
Uzume didn’t have time to wonder about that very long. She sensed a presence. She didn’t recognize the feel of the chakra. She didn’t even have time to warn Shoki when the chakra stopped outside the door. Whoever it was, male or female, he or she was an expert at concealing their presence, as even Uzume had to strain to feel anything about the intruder.

The door across the room slid open. The shinobi who had snuck past Naruto and Sakura was now staring down Uzume and Shoki.

“Give me the boy!” he demanded through his mask. It distorted his voice, likely by design. He was covered from head to toe in a black jumpsuit which left him completely hidden by night’s shroud.

“I will not,” Uzume replied simply, her hand feeling under her table’s black cloth. Her fingers brushed up against a polished metal. “You will leave immediately.”

“GIVE HIM TO ME NOW!”

All at once, Uzume’s candle flickered. In that split second, several things happened. Shoki captured an image of the attacking shinobi in his eye. Uzume withdrew her weapon- the Spear of Izanagi- and slashed. Her face remained perfectly calm, even as blood splattered down the front of her. It hit her face and ran down her cheeks, looking as if she was crying blood. Coupled with her impassive face, it was incredibly disconcerting.

Lastly, the shinobi fell to the floor.
Dead.

Shoki looked to Uzume, wordless horror on his face. Fear was frozen on his features as the ‘bloody tears’ ran down Uzume’s face. Her features did not change; did not waver. It took Shoki a little while to realize she was crying, and her tears were mixing with the blood, then rolling down her cheeks. Somehow, it made him a little sad to think that she wasn’t allowing herself to really show her emotions. Was she unable to, or choosing not to?

“Shoki…please gather Asuna-chan, Shinmaru, and…yes, Yuji. Yuji should be here as well, no matter his condition. He was present for a good deal of the tale. He should be here to see it’s end.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

andr28a on January 31, 2011, 2:07:15 AM

andr28a on
andr28aIf this is Hidan then we're in big trouble. Is Uzume planning to kill herself?

YunieXTidus on January 30, 2011, 10:42:41 AM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusWow. You know, I've also warmed up to 'SakuNaru' lately. Even though, in my heart, there's only room for KakaSaku. But this is a great chapter, I can't wait to see more!