Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 99 - FINAL ARC: Part 3

My OC is forced to play servant to Naruto and Sakura. He must ignore his own dreams to see that Sakura and Naruto live happily ever after- either as a couple, or as the two strongest shinobi ever.

Chapter 99 - FINAL ARC: Part 3

Chapter 99 - FINAL ARC: Part 3
Yuji shook off the cobwebs, stepping out of the rubble of the building. The arm that had smashed him into the building was attacking again. Yuji dodged to the side. As he did, the hand that pushed him morphed into a dozen blades, long and thin as chopsticks. They branched out after him. He leaned farther to the side, misjudging just a bit and getting a light cut on his cheek.

If I close the distance, then this attack is useless…

Yuji kicked forward hard, his chakra propelling him faster. He zig-zagged, dodging another strike by the now-bladed arm as it drew back toward the main body. Pain lowered his head. Yuji knew that at the least a head butt was coming. But there was no good reason to put your head in danger. And given that he’d just seen this thing grow blades, he decided it might be best to hit the dirt.

Just as he did, a blast of chakra erupted out of the crowd of Pain’s head, completely obliterating the building Yuji had just exited. Fragments rained down all over, covering the injured and dead mercilessly. No fragment was bigger than a pebble.

That could have been me! Yuji thought, glad he followed his gut.

Using his chakra to keep sliding forward on his back, he then got to a kneeling position. He simultaneously punched Pain’s midsection and swept his legs. Pain went down, but Yuji found that his hand had been sliced nearly in half. The force of the punch had ripped the cloak off Pain’s body.

A metal sash. Like having a sword that’s a belt.

A blaze of fire shot up Yuji’s hand, searing it closed. He used a basic first aid jutsu Sakura had taught him to stitch his hand back together. He would need it.

The sash shot up toward Yuji. He dodged backward, just beyond the blade’s limit. Being back far enough allowed Yuji to get a look at this Pain’s face for the first time. It had no ears. Where ears should have been were two more faces. One happy, one sad, and one angry. Abruptly, Pain’s head turned around, and Yuji found himself staring at the ‘angry’ face.

And I somehow missed the fact that this guy has six arms. One of them contains blades. So what do the others do?

As if in answer, Pain’s other arm opened up. Yuji steadied himself, ready to move. His first instinct proved to be correct as he was suddenly staring down six projectile weapons moving toward him very quickly.

He went airborne, sustaining his height with his wings. The mini-missiles changed direction and followed him. Yuji took off flying quickly. He didn’t want those things to hit him, but if they did, he couldn’t let them explode near anyone else.

Suddenly, Yuji was pulled away from his high-speed chase. He couldn’t see anything pulling him, but he knew the feel well enough. It was Pain’s ‘Universal Pull’ jutsu, and it was bringing him right to the ‘Lead’ Pain. A quick glance behind him revealed that the missiles were still following.

The ‘Lead’ Pain was now in full view, holding that odd black sword of his. He stood ready to impale Yuji. The big Pain that Yuji had seen absorb jutsu after jutsu was nearby, apparently in case Yuji decided to counter-attack. That was fine with Yuji.

“SHOUKYAKU JUTSU!” he shouted, aiming his strongest jutsu at Pain. As expected, the big Pain jumped in the way and took it. The impact of that jutsu shook him, but he held. That wasn’t very promising, Yuji decided. No, he couldn’t defeat that thing. But that other Pain…he knew his tricks and had months to think about how to counter it. Coupled with this ‘Defending’ Pain, Yuji had to think fast and creatively, but he did. It was as if he couldn’t become flustered; as if the fire protecting his body also shielded his mind.

“Shadow Clone Jutsu!”

Three clones appeared outside of ‘Lead’ Pain’s pull and ran around the ‘Defense’ Pain to attack. ‘Defense’ Pain stayed still, as Yuji expected. Yuji himself was the most potent threat. Yuji could deal with that.

Giving up on his initial plan, Yuji simply pulled away from Pain’s pull. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t impossible. Not with his new abilities, coupled with the distance at which Pain had initiated the jutsu. And now those missiles would come in handy. Yuji flew just out of reach of the ‘Defense’ Pain. The missiles followed. Once they were over ‘Defense’ Pain, Yuji detonated them with a fire jutsu. That gave him a temporary smoke screen. He aimed to take advantage of it.

“Almighty Push!”

So much for that, Yuji thought, soaring higher, circling the group of Three Pains below. As the smoke cleared, Yuji saw three tongues of orange hair. Something about that bothered him. He couldn’t quite place what until he felt a huge chakra behind him.

Another one! And he got behind me!
--
--

Yuji moved higher still, narrowly avoiding the touch of a Pain with long orange hair. He felt a chill around him as the Pain’s hand just touched his wings. He had no visible means of flying, which probably meant that one of the other Pains threw him up here.
That feeling…Like someone walked across my grave…

Below him, Yuji saw the bald Pain with six arms he’d been fighting breaking rank and running toward the gate. From this high up, Yuji could only see a few specks representing people. The number in the group and position told him that there were two people kneeling next to one lying down. Three were in front, standing as if in defense, trying to get through the gate. When a surge of lightning chakra flared from that position, Yuji could figure out that it had to be either Sasuke or Kakashi.

Either way, he’s likely to be with Master and Mistress. But they’ve got two enemies on them, plus that ‘freak’ Pain en route. I’ve got three of my own here…I should protect Master and Mistress first…but over there with them is Lady Tsunade, Master Jiraiya, Shizune, and Sasuke. I’d be of no help. That’s almost all of the village’s strength over there.

So I’ll focus on my fight here. That’s five of six Pains accounted for. Sasuke, Naruto and Sakura are more than a match for that group, especially if Jiraiya tells them about the abilities he saw. That leaves three for me and whoever shows up as back-up.

--
--

Shoki had been with Asuna on an enjoyable date. They hadn’t left the temple grounds, but they were so beautiful and peaceful there was hardly a need to. The trees were almost bare since winter was approaching, but that added a certain beauty. When the last green leaf fell into Asuna’s lap as they sat under a tree to have tea a ripple of unease went through Shoki.

“An omen- ngh!”

Shoki was already kneeling or he would have fallen. His head dipped forward. Asuna immediately moved to catch him. As she touched him and their chakras mixed, she saw what he saw through his one good eye.
-

The Leaf village, split into six views. Three of which were trained on Yuji from different angles, each showing the destruction of the village. One was moving constantly, showing destroyed buildings and the dead and dying. The other two were battling with Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke. In the very edge of those fields of vision lay Master Jiraiya, covered with green healing chakra, Tsunade and Shizune on either side of him.


The destruction was unbelievable. To view it while not being involved was crippling. Even as Yuji engaged three Pains and was blown backward hard, Shoki found it hard to move. He eventually forced himself up.

“I’ve got to go,” he said simply. Before Asuna could answer, he held her and kissed her. They were alone, so there was no reason to be ashamed of a kiss. She was certainly receptive, as though the idea had crossed her mind as well.

They broke apart, touching foreheads briefly.

“I’ll be back,” promised Shoki.

Asuna nodded. “I know. I’ll be waiting. But now we both have our parts to play in this final battle.”

Shoki nodded and used a teleportation ninjutsu to move toward the Leaf at top speed. Asuna watched him go only for a moment before she stood up and summoned Akari. The girl arrived at her feet in a kneeling position.

“Akari, the future I saw is coming to pass. Our role is beginning now. Please summon the necessary elements from the Leaf village-”

Asuna stopped there, suddenly bristling. A dark energy suddenly invaded the temple. But it was not malevolent- not now. Just a different order of chakra. And it was familiar at that. Someone Asuna had met before, when her guard was down.

She didn’t wonder for long. Kuroko and Shiroko came around a building, each of them carrying a bag in their arms. They approached respectfully, bowing at the right time at a respectful distance.

“We had a feeling these would be helpful. We found ourselves well supplied suddenly,” Kuroko announced, somewhat uncomfortable. “These are legally obtained, with permission granted. That can be verified as necessary.”

Shiroko came closer, holding both bags now. Her energy was not the dark energy that Asuna had felt so she did nothing to deter her approach. She also did nothing when the bags were laid at her feet without a word. Shiroko bowed and walked backward toward her cousin.

“We know something of your arts, Lady Uzume. Our families intertwine back several generations. So we know the old legends as you do. But the practical side of this eludes our ability to practice in a…pure way. Regardless, please help them all. And if there is any sin, we take it on ourselves.”

Shiroko finished her speech, looked to Kuroko (who smiled grimly and nodded), and they left without another word.

Asuna watched them go, but very quickly her gaze drifted to the bags at her feet.

“Akari.”

Wasting no time, Akari got to work. She made the necessary markings on the ground while Asuna prepared the torches. When they were both prepared, Akari unzipped the first bag. She placed her hand inside the bag and closed her eyes.

“Male; age thirty. Death by…drowning. Not murder. An accident. He had given permission to use his remains…”

Asuna swallowed some rising bile and indicated the bag.

“Then he’ll come first. Please find clothes to fit them while I do my part…”

I wasn’t aware of this…Miko never passed this knowledge on. What is their involvement? And why did the chakra of the one feel so…different? A different order of chakra. Black like Yuji’s original chakra, and deep…but it felt like…two chakras. One overlaid on the other. Not existing side by side in harmony like Yuji’s and Heaven’s Temper. These chakras were in conflict.

Asuna shook her head, forcing her thoughts back to the delicate task at hand. Akari was being her usual efficient self, having already prepared the second body as well as clothing.
--
--

Yuji stood off against the three Pains. It was a stalemate for the moment, and Yuji was prepared to hold it as long as he could. Even a few seconds might save a life. At this point, minimizing the damage was about all he could do.

Since this fight began, Yuji had felt it. His first instinct was, first and foremost, to protect his master and mistress. But in this case, he could feel his thoughts being pushed elsewhere. Already he’d allowed them to fight their own battles against three Pains. He found he was fine with that. As if it were the natural course of things.

He knew it would be time to step aside soon. Only Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura could deliver the final blows. That much was evident from the prophecy. But just as evident was that Yuji’s job was to clear the path for them. To make something like this as easy as possible. To wear Pain down was his job now. If he could defeat Pain, great. But if not, well, the others would do that.

Despite the horrid devastation, it never occurred to Yuji that they might not rally and win. This battle was over already, and the Leaf won. They would survive, as they always had. And grow stronger. And now it was time for him to play his part.

Eyeing his opponents, Yuji noted that the ‘Lead’ Pain was not one he could defeat. It didn’t ‘feel’ right. But the other two were fair game.

The entire village seemed to be watching. Most had never seen Yuji in his most splendid form. He realized now was not the time to hold anything in reserve. Not with everyone watching. And they were rooting for him. Depending on him. It was all the acknowledgement and responsibility he ever wanted.

Yuji politely asked the Pains: “May I have your names?”

The ‘Lead’ Pain spoke for all of them.
“Your turmoil is fascinating, Heaven’s Temper. To show respect, I will grant your request. I am Tendo. To my right is Gakido. To my left is Ningendo. But collectively, we are Pain.”

Yuji gave a short, polite bow in reply to each name. “Courtesy requires I give my own name, though you know it already. But to go through the motions: I am Yuji Itou, formerly Kimhiro Tadayoshi- also ‘Ten no Kishootsu’- Heaven’s Temper.”

Pain looked at Yuji. Yuji looked at Pain. They were sizing one another up.

The next second, one Pain had rushed forward. Yuji jumped back instinctively, not knowing what this Pain’s ability was.

“Universal Pull!”

Yuji found himself being pulled forward again. He dug in his heels and fought. The Pain with the unknown ability jumped in the way. His hand reached out to touch Yuji.

“NO!”

Konohamaru jumped in the way. He knew what this Pain could do. He also knew that he had no chance to fight these monsters. Yuji did. So he sacrificed himself to show Yuji what this Pain could do all while saving Yuji‘s life. He took a vindictive swipe by jamming the most powerful Rasengan he could muster into Pain’s arm, blowing the arm clean off.

And Yuji…he watched Konohamaru’s soul get ripped away from his body. He had no time to grieve at that moment. He could only thank Konohamaru silently for the intelligence he’d sacrificed himself to give Yuji.

That gave Yuji an idea of his own. He formed a clone of fire- the first time he’d ever done it successfully- and had the clone begin to pass on his findings to any jonin or chunin it could find.

“My abilities don’t seem to affect you like they do the others,” Tendo stated calmly. “But your ability doesn’t affect me. It would take more than you’ve got to destroy Gakido, and Ningendo can easily kill you. So we’re at a stalemate until Ningendo gets a hold of you.”

Yes! Exactly!
“You don’t know that. You’ve been so busy with Naruto that you’ve got no idea what I can do. I’m not the same man you defeated before. When I lost my wife…and I nearly lost Shoki, too. I gave you a fight back then, and I’m more powerful now. But I don’t think you’ve gotten more powerful. I think you’ve peaked. So we are down to two options. One: I defeat you outright. Two: We stay at a stalemate. Whoever you really are, you’ll lose a lot of chakra by fighting me. Even if I don’t get you, the next guy in line will. I’m only the appetizer, Pain. But will you have enough left for the main course?”

Pain and Yuji locked eyes. Again, perfect for what Yuji wanted. Without using words or handsigns, he manipulated his chakra to use a genjutsu.

Bringer of Darkness!

Tendo blinked but didn’t seem all that troubled. Gakido also stopped moving.

“That is a pointless effort,” came Tendo’s chiding voice. “What one sees, we all see.”

He’s walking right into a trap. Perfect.
“Yes, and? You can’t break the genjutsu through pain, since you, ironically enough, can’t feel it. And since all six of you share the same chakra, you can’t break the genjutsu on each other.”

Tendo had taken the bait. Yuji couldn’t believe it worked that perfectly. When Tendo charged with his sword, all Yuji had to do was make sure he didn’t get hit with a fatal blow. He got stabbed through the left shoulder with that odd black sword and he couldn’t have been happier.

Pain realized too late what he’d done. The chakra receiver shared by all the Pains! He had said it himself- what one saw the all saw. All the Pains’ vision turned to absolute darkness as Yuji’s chakra ran through Pain’s sword back into his body, and therefore to all the others. If the ‘Pain Master’ could still see, his pawns couldn’t.

“That fire clone…you pushed your Ten no Kishootsu chakra into it so my sword couldn’t affect it. Only ‘Yuji’s’ chakra is jammed. But your clone cast the jutsu, not you! He just pretended to run for it.”

Yuji nodded, forgetting that Pain couldn’t see the gesture. So he acknowledged: “Yes, that’s right. That‘s it, exactly. And by letting you stab me, I delayed your arrival at that conclusion just long enough. Even if you had prevented me from using my genjutsu, my clone would have been free to without fear of reprisal from you. I‘ll have to remember to thank Master Jiraiya for cluing me in to your weakness.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on June 17, 2012, 1:01:56 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusNice! This unfolds in my head just beautifully.

andr28a on May 11, 2012, 7:26:37 AM

andr28a on
andr28aGood move on Yuji's part with the Genjutsu, very clever. This is a truely chaotic fight.