Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 36 - Arc V: Broken- Chapter 2

My OC is forced to play servant to Naruto and Sakura. He must ignore his own dreams to see that Sakura and Naruto live happily ever after- either as a couple, or as the two strongest shinobi ever.

Chapter 36 - Arc V: Broken- Chapter 2

Chapter 36 - Arc V: Broken- Chapter 2
The explanation complete, Asuna shook her head.
“Unbelievable. And now he’s here to train that boy of Lady Uzume’s?”

“Yes. And himself,” Azami answered, sipping at a cup of tea. “He’s very concerned with a prophecy made by the Third Hokage. He’s going above and beyond it.”

Asuna rolled her eyes. “Typical Ryouko. And he’s hurting himself in the process, isn’t he?”

Azami didn’t need to answer that. Asuna just bowed her head once more.
“I’ve…sensed a lot from him. And you. I’ve only been Lady Uzume’s apprentice for a little while, but she seems to be more concerned for the future as of late, too. That’s why I’m here, in fact.”

Setting her cup down, Asuna took out a small box she’d brought with her. It was bound with string and seals. She made a complicated series of handsigns before removing the box lid.

“This,” she said, holding up a scroll, “is a Summoning scroll. In it is a weapon that Lady Uzume intends to use against Itachi Uchiha.”

Biting her thumb and making handsigns, Asuna touched her palm to the scroll. In the center appeared a magnificent necklace. It was made of pearls and gold for strings, and gold pieces hung down in front. In the center was a mirror.

“This is the ‘Necklace of Izanami’,” Asuna began to say. But Azami sputtered for a moment, not believing this.

“That’s a mythological item, isn’t it? But it fits…the name ‘Uzume’, her ability to bring out Amaterasu from Itachi’s eyes…”

“Yes, that’s where the name comes from. Priestess blessed with Lady Uzume’s gifts inherit the name. I’m next in line to receive the name. But Lady Uzume…she seems concerned for the future. And with my limited ability, I see her death.”

That stung Azami quite a bit. Imagine what it would do to Ryouko.

“But I believe it can be prevented. There’s one other weapon that can be wielded with this necklace to increase her powers. It’s called the ‘Spear of Izanagi’. According to mythology, Izanagi and Izanami were married. Individually, they were powerful. When married, that could create islands. It’s said that Izanagi even entered ‘Yomi’- the underworld- a feat not possible for mortals.”

“But how will this prevent her death?” Azami asked. “Not to mention ‘where is the spear’?”

“I forsee Lady Uzume sacrificing her life to defend someone.” Asuna closed her eyes, as if trying to recall the image. “It’s unclear who, but she dies without a scratch on her. There are only a few techniques- all forbidden- that allow you to sow life. One of which Lady Uzume can use twice on her life. She’s used it once already- on Ryouko.”

Azami put a hand to her mouth. “Then his curse bindings…”

Asuna bowed her head, eyes closed. “Yes. She knows of the Third Hokage’s prophecy, and she believes it- to some extent. She feels it incomplete, hence the reason she decided to gamble on Ryouko. He won’t train the ‘child of prophecy’ or anything like that. But she is certain his actions will turn the tide in a great shinobi war, or possibly help prevent it altogether. That’s why he is tied in with Naruto and Sakura, and why he has to guard them.”

Azami’s unease was growing by the second. She hadn’t heard one thing that she liked so far.
“This spear…”

Asuna smiled, just a little. “I’ve found it. But I can’t get it. It’s in a shrine, in the Land of Waves. But I can’t pass there freely, as my training with Lady Uzume isn’t complete. If the worst DOES come to pass, I need to be prepared as her successor. But someone as powerful as you…
After your time as a Guardian has been served, and your past crimes pardoned, if you can go to the Land of Waves and retrieve this spear…it may be the difference between life and death. Not only for Lady Uzume, but also for Ryouko himself.”
--
--

Ryouko woke up, wearing only a pair of black shorts. His body had felt constricted by his shirt. After the intense physical training, it was no surprise that he had gotten a little more muscle. It was also no shock he was sore.
For today, he chose to wear a black uwagi and black training pants, rather than his usual uniform. For one, it made him feel more distinguished- it was a good feeling, as he would be teaching as well as learning. For another, it was comfortable, practice, and not too informal.

Without realizing it, he reached over his right eye. There, he could feel his ‘tattoo’. It was actually made of scar tissue from the burns, moved around and detailed by Azami with Ryouko’s own burn remnants. The result had been something that looked similar to the kanji for ‘fire’, starting over his right eye and ending just below his right temple.

I’m training with Azami tonight, after I work with Shoki. I’ve got two days to learn what she’s teaching, and pass on as much to Shoki as possible. Master Jiraiya and I will have to spar again, the next time I see him. So I’d better be ready.

Tucking a straw hat under his arm, Ryouko made his way outside. Shoki, Uzume, Asuna, and Azami would be waiting in a few hours. Even though he wouldn’t be alone, Ryouko couldn’t help but feel intimidated by Shoki. He knew nothing about the boy’s eye, aside from what little Uzume had been able to determine. That meant a lot of trial and error.

It was the ‘error’ part that worried him.
--
As Asuna wrapped up her proposal to Azami, there came a knock on Azami’s door. At her ‘come in’ greeting, Ryouko entered, closing the door behind me.

“Asuna, good to see you again!” he said brightly. “I hope you’re well?”

“Very,” Asuna replied. Azami noticed she had hidden the scroll she had been showing to Azami. So Azami took it that Asuna didn’t want Ryouko to know what was going on.

“Sorry to drop in so late…er, early,” Ryouko began, bowing apologetically. “But this couldn’t wait. And Asuna, I’m glad you’re here. I’ve a favor to ask all of you…”
-

Ryouko was already waiting outside when Shoki came toward the open area in front of the temple. The courtyard was beautiful; mostly stone paths and well-kept grassy areas, dotted with a few gardens.

“Good morning, Shoki,” Ryouko offered, smiling politely.

“You’re burned,” Shoki replied by way of greeting. “A fire chakra and an earth chakra…and you were aided by a wind chakra.”

It was true. Ryouko HAD spent the morning training with Azami. As a result, his right arm was bandaged up and showed signs of burning. But Ryouko and Azami’s chakra types weren’t very obvious if you didn’t see them fight.

“Nothing to worry about,” Ryouko assured the boy. “Now, let’s get started on your training. Do you know your own chakra type?”

Shoki shook his head. “No.”

“I wondered about that…okay, let’s try something. Shoki, I know a little bit about your eye. The Issekigan’s ability to ‘freeze’ an image for study.”

Leading the boy to one of the mediation areas- this one a pond- he had Shoki look into the water at his reflection.
“Take a look at yourself. Then, freeze the image.”

Shoki did as he was told. When he looked back at himself and froze the image, he felt something, and he could see something. But he didn’t know what.
“I can feel…a kind of tingly energy in my upper body. And my lower body weighs a lot.”

Ryouko could guess well enough from that. “Seems you’re a lightning type and an earth type.”

It occurred to Ryouko that this might be a reason that Shoki could use the Issekigan. When something went wrong with your body- say, blindness- it usually meant your body was at odds with itself. Earth and Lightning chakras were just about polar opposites. And even for his age, Shoki’s chakra was very rough and unrefined.
So that may be another requirement for the Issekigan. Opposing chakras.

“Very good,” Ryouko said aloud. “Now, this temple is the ideal training ground for you. I’ve got one of my friends to help ups today. Her name is Azami. She’s the wind-type you sensed earlier.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on August 30, 2010, 12:37:36 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusGreat addition. I just love this book. I'm watching the entire Naruto series because of this book. I'd seen a few episodes here and there. I'd forgotten how much fun it is so watch Naruto and Sasuke and Sakura mature and form bonds with one another. Not to mention Kakashi is fiiiiiiine.

I started 4 days ago and I'm already on episode 70. Needless to say, I haven't been getting much sleep. :3

andr28a on August 23, 2010, 8:47:29 AM

andr28a on
andr28aProphecy... Must Ryouko fulfil it? Since he's been trying to achive it, he's been through Hell and beyond.
Great chapter