Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Birthday Kindness

If you make an RQ, please read at least 2 chapters of one of my fics and comment first.

Chapter 2 - Birthday Kindness

Chapter 2 - Birthday Kindness
Author's note: This was written on my birthday, but not posted for quite some time. It's meant to be one of those fics that makes you go 'awwww' (as opposed to the more erotic, passionate love fics I've written as of late). I know it's shorter than my customary chapters, but I hope you'll enjoy it nonetheless. It would be great if we were all extended this kind of kindness on our birthdays.


--
Sitting up on his roof, looking at the night sky, Yuji pretended that he was unconcerned that in just a short while, he would lose a big battle.

Can’t do anything about it, I guess. Better just go with it.

Despite those words, it killed Yuji to think about it. Losing wasn’t something he enjoyed. It was worse knowing that there was nothing he could do. So he just had to face facts.

“I am aging another year tonight, and there is nothing I can do.”

Didn’t make it any easier.

With a sigh, Yuji thought about how great his parents were. They still made sure his birthday was a big deal. He appreciated that more than they could know. However, now being a young man, Yuji wanted attention from certain people. Females. Specifically, one female- Sakura Haruno.

The young, pink-haired beauty had caught his eye nearly five years ago now. And yet, he had never said a word. She had grown into such a beautiful young woman. He was only four years her senior, so they were compatible age-wise. And she was certainly attractive- and practical. But all the same, Yuji couldn’t just abandon his life the way it was. He was mostly content.
And yet, if he could have her while the rest of his life remained unchanged, that would have been perfect.

Straightening up, Yuji looked at the sky again, his face smoothed back to normal.
“Soon I’ll be past the age where I can just enjoy myself. Life will only get worse from here. There is little to look forward to. But I keep living, on the off-chance I may be important.
No, I keep living because I don’t want to die.
Then, what is it I want?
I’m as confused as I was when I asked myself this same question five years ago.”

“Mmm…being too hard on yourself like usual, huh? That’s a bad habit. Just like those cigarettes.”

Yuji did a double-take: Sakura was standing right next to him! Before he could say a word, she kept talking.

“Since those things are healthy for your chakra, I’ll let it slide,” she told him, giving him a grin and a tiny wink.

“I, uh…thank…you?” Yuji managed, still very confused. That confusion didn’t lessen as Sakura took his hand.

“C’mon, let’s go have some fun! Your birthday only comes once a year, right? So you should make the most of it!”

Yuji allowed himself to be dragged away. He still couldn’t understand what had happened. And he didn’t want to just ask, lest he seem ungrateful.

“Your medical chart,” Sakura said immediately. “That’s how I know. You’re due for your yearly physical. If you can keep up with me, you’re in good shape!”
--

They ran until they hit the center of the Leaf. Sakura leaned over and grabbed Yuji’s arm, cuddling up to him. She was playing the ‘I’m so innocent’ girl, while looking up at him, grinning at the stunned look on his face.

“Where we going, birthday boy? It‘s your special day. C‘mon, show me how you treat a lady!”

Cute little taunting aside, Yuji was shell-shocked at this. He numbly aimed for a favorite teahouse on impulse. Sakura held on to him the whole way, acting like this was a date.
Was it? Was it a date?
--

They ate and drank, speaking quietly to each other. It felt intimate. Like they were the only two people who existed. It was exhilarating. It wasn’t so much that they had things in common as they seemed so right for each other. Even though Yuji’s life was a total mystery, Sakura knew just how to get the best out of him.

“So Lady Tsunade tells me…” Sakura paused, looking at Yuji. She cocked her head down and to the side, looking up at him. “Hey, is something wrong?”

Yuji shook himself out of his trance quickly, shaking his head, either in disbelief or to knock the cobwebs out.
“I just…can’t believe how well this is going. I’m…you know…I.”

Sakura smiled and put a finger on his lips.
“You don’t need to tell me. I already know, Yuji. How you feel. I can return those feelings. Come on, now. You shouldn’t deny a kunoichi what is rightfully hers, right?”

She pulled Yuji away again, this time brining him home.
--

Once home, Sakura sat Yuji down on her futon, propping him up against the wall. She sat down next to him, her head on his shoulder.

“I know you wouldn’t jump right to the intimate stuff. You’re not that type of guy,” she cooed, cuddling up to him and nuzzling his shoulder. “You want to cuddle, and play, and be innocent at first. You want to be really and truly in love. You missed out on it when you were younger, so you want puppy love now, while you’re still young. So just go with it, Yuji. Don’t fight it. Let your instincts…your heart…take over.”

Sakura climbed up onto his lap, wrapping her arms around him and burying her face in his neck. Yuji returned the gesture, closing his eyes and sighing.
“I…would never relax like this if I didn’t trust you completely. The whole ‘warrior thing’, you know?”

“I know. I’m the same way. I trust a handful of people. You’re one of them. I like this, Yuji- the way we’re open with each other. So trusting. It’s nice to not have to be on our guards with each other.”

Sakura pulled back, holding Yuji’s shoulders.
“You need to trust more, Yuji. You work so hard to be elite; to be perfect. Don’t miss having some fun along the way. You’re not any less strong if you fall in love. Kissing a girl doesn’t give you cooties, you know!”

“I wouldn’t know, actually…” Yuji joked. He was going to say more, but Sakura stopped him by planting a kiss on his cheek.

“That doesn’t count as your first. THAT has to be on the lips. Think you can handle that? Hmmm?”

Yuji leaned forward; Sakura did the same. Their lips met in an embrace all their own.
--

Yuji woke up with a start, looking around for the girl he had just been kissing. But he was alone, in bed. Like usual.

A dream? But it was so vivid! It felt more like a genjutsu…but it couldn’t be…
--

Tsunade ended the jutsu, smiling to herself.

“Was that really okay, M’lady? To do that, I mean. With Sakura…”

“She gave me permission to go that far,” Tsunade informed her, stretching as she got up. She was holding the scroll that allowed her to perform this jutsu. “Besides, a little bit of happiness on your birthday…nothing wrong with that. I just wonder if it will translate to courage in real life…”

“M’lady?”

“Dreams can change people, Shizune. That might have been just what Yuji needed…”
--

Yuji waited outside Tsunade’s office the next day, rehearsing to himself over and over. Toward the end of the day, Sakura stepped out, looking surprised to see Yuji there.

“Yuji? What’s up?”

Beginning what he had started practicing after his dream, Yuji gulped and said:
“Sakura, do you have a minute? I’ve been wanting to ask you something…”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

YunieXTidus on December 23, 2010, 1:36:20 PM

YunieXTidus on
YunieXTidusLove. This.

andr28a on September 8, 2010, 5:06:25 AM

andr28a on
andr28aThis is very interesting. I can actually see this put into one of your large stories.